Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone have recommendations for slightly below-radar horror anthologies? There’s a billion of these on Tubi and I don’t know which to watch.

Here are some recs from me:

Trick ‘r Treat: I’m willing to bet folks here know this one, but it’s a favorite (and I think the director may be a former goon?) Campy, fun horror with an interstitial short that toes everything together in a nice way.

Southbound: This is more straight horror, and the shorts vary in quality, but one of them genuinely unsettled me, which is a really rare experience for me and always refreshing. (I think, prior to the “hospital” short in this, the last movie to do so would’ve been the “pitchfork” scene in the Crazies remake?) Some of the CG work is a little corny, but it’s an ambitious and cool film overall.

Asylum from 1972. Great anthology. Some good Cushing in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone have recommendations for slightly below-radar horror anthologies? There’s a billion of these on Tubi and I don’t know which to watch.

Trick ‘r Treat: I’m willing to bet folks here know this one, but it’s a favorite (and I think the director may be a former goon?) Campy, fun horror with an interstitial short that toes everything together in a nice way.

Southbound: This is more straight horror, and the shorts vary in quality, but one of them genuinely unsettled me, which is a really rare experience for me and always refreshing. (I think, prior to the “hospital” short in this, the last movie to do so would’ve been the “pitchfork” scene in the Crazies remake?) Some of the CG work is a little corny, but it’s an ambitious and cool film overall.

trilogy of terror, body bags, the first 2 VHS movies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lol i just noticed i finally inspired a thread title

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The monkey’s paw sketch from the original UK Tales from the Crypt kicks rear end.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Mike Dougherty was a goon?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Anonymous Robot posted:

I liked Tales of Halloween. I vaguely remember Terror Tract not being too shabby either.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you're drawing from Tubi's pool, avoid 60 Seconds to Die.
On the other side, The Uncanny is a fairly fun cat-themed anthology which seems kind of underknown, despite featuring Peter Cushing in the framing segments.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Origami Dali posted:

Mike Dougherty was a goon?

Godzilla King of the Monsters is perfect Mike, anyone who disagrees sucks rear end

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I couldn't find any thread discussing The Lighthouse, I guess it's not out anywhere except film festivals?

Saw it yesterday and fuuuuuuuck me what a ride. Loved every single scene.

Where did you see it at? You at Fantastic Fest too?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Darthemed posted:

If you're drawing from Tubi's pool, avoid 60 Seconds to Die.
On the other side, The Uncanny is a fairly fun cat-themed anthology which seems kind of underknown, despite featuring Peter Cushing in the framing segments.

I have access to Netflix, Hulu and Prime, and I’m considering getting a sub to Shudder for October though tbh I didn’t use it a ton when I had it via VRV for like a year.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
hi hello can someone please make this sweater for me

okay thank you

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

okay thank you

Her cheerleader outfit is ridiculously poppin.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
i need it in a mens medium if you don't mind

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A year later and I'm still completely weirded out by the bizarre tone of that movie and the ending where she just jumps in a stranger's car and drives off to the apocalypse while her sister happily waves.

Such an odd film.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

Godzilla King of the Monsters is perfect Mike, anyone who disagrees sucks rear end

You have quite the low bar for perfection.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
so today in "deliberately starting poo poo re: horror genre boundaries"

Aniara is really good. It's also one of the most depressing films I've ever seen, so be ready for that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

sigher posted:

It's an incredibly fun movie.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I couldn't find any thread discussing The Lighthouse, I guess it's not out anywhere except film festivals?

Saw it yesterday and fuuuuuuuck me what a ride. Loved every single scene.

When I read a bit about the movie I thought it sounded suspiciously like Cold Skin and then I watched the trailer and I was like, "oh. Big mood." And now I really wanna see it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

XX is an okay, lady directors only movie. It's very esoteric though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Casimir Radon posted:

It's an incredibly fun movie.

It's decent, Skull Island is better and KOTM doesn't even touch the perfection that is Trick R' Treat and Krampus.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

okay thank you

what movie is this from

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

what movie is this from

Night of the Comet.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

A year later and I'm still completely weirded out by the bizarre tone of that movie and the ending where she just jumps in a stranger's car and drives off to the apocalypse while her sister happily waves.

Such an odd film.

The unusual ending has only served to make the film more prescient when it comes to anticipating capitalist responses to disaster.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tart Kitty posted:

Holidays is largely awful, but the Father's Day short is loving incredible.

Some of the others are weird and kind of interesting, but yeah, Father's Day is SO GOOD

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So it's probably a given that most of these newer dtv horror anthologies are a case of someone taking a bunch of pre-existing horror shorts, cobbling them together and calling it feature, yeah?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sigher posted:

my bar is at my own level.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

Please don't doxx me

(this is very cool i hope you share more, I love when people itt share their horror art/film projects)

I made him out of clay

Fun fact:
In Abrshamic religions God moulded Adam from clay. Which is where the concept of golems comes from. However in Norse mythology the first humans, Askur and Embla, were logs of driftwood that Odin and his brothers found washed up on the shore and breathed life into. Because of this the Old Norse (and modern Icelandic/Faroese) word for ghost is "Draugur" a word that originally meant "tree", a ghost (in the Norse sense) being a undead corpse and thus metaphorically a wooden log.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Because of this the Old Norse (and modern Icelandic/Faroese) word for ghost is "Draugur" a word that originally meant "tree", a ghost (in the Norse sense) being a undead corpse and thus metaphorically a wooden log.

I didn't know any of this, and it just made Skyrim that much more awesome. :aaaaa:

Random question, but does anyone have any Australian-made horror recommendations? After I saw "The Babadook" I found another Australian gem in "The Loved Ones," which I also thought was great and never see anyone really talk about. A few years later I found the dark apocalyptic thriller "These Final Hours" on Netflix, and for some reason that hit me pretty hard. It was not an easy watch (none of these movies are), but it felt very poignant and original. I realized I haven't paid much attention to Australian horror and maybe I should, because based on those movies it seems like a lot of talented people are making great things out there. Anyone have any other recommendations?

e: vvvvv Guy Pierce AND Sam Neill?! Sold. I've seen the title pop up before, but didn't know who was in it or what it was about. Hell yes.

T3hRen3gade fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 25, 2019

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

T3hRen3gade posted:

Random question, but does anyone have any Australian-made horror recommendations? After I saw "The Babadook" I found another Australian gem in "The Loved Ones," which I also thought was great and never see anyone really talk about. A few years later I found the dark apocalyptic thriller "These Final Hours" on Netflix, and for some reason that hit me pretty hard. It was not an easy watch (none of these movies are), but it felt very poignant and original. I realized I haven't paid much attention to Australian horror and maybe I should, because based on those movies it seems like a lot of talented people are making great things out there. Anyone have any other recommendations?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995851/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 In Her Skin. Since this depicts an actual true story, not sure where it falls genre wise? But it's pretty drat horrifying. Currently on Showtime and something called FuboTV.

Also, Wake In Fright, currently on Amazon Prime. I don't really know how to describe this one but we've discussed it here from time to time and I think most of us who've seen it feel it's well worth a watch.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Origami Dali posted:

So it's probably a given that most of these newer dtv horror anthologies are a case of someone taking a bunch of pre-existing horror shorts, cobbling them together and calling it feature, yeah?

They'd all be so much better if they took a cue from Night Train to Terror and had a rockin' musical interlude between each short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUHsLZ5t5w8

(sorry, I'll take any excuse to post that)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, it's in a different realm but Razorback was dope. Jaws with a pig in the outback.

And Night of the Comet was fantastic. I was expecting something goofier and less satirical. Ending was great. Capitalism saved the day and turned the strong independent young woman into a stuffy waspy housewife and mother. Dark poo poo.

e: Yeah and Body Melt was excellent.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 25, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wait what am I saying my challenge this month is finishing up the Hammer movies

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

T3hRen3gade posted:

I didn't know any of this, and it just made Skyrim that much more awesome. :aaaaa:

Triangle (2009)
The Tunnel (2011)
Razorback
Wyrmwood
Wolf Creek
Body Melt
Lake Mungo

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 25, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Just rewatched Little Shop of Horrors for the first time in decades, and man it's good. There are a few jokes I never got like Seymour apparently having taken the dentist's body back to the plant shop via subway.

Also, Audrey II might be my favorite monster design.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Just rewatched Little Shop of Horrors for the first time in decades, and man it's good. There are a few jokes I never got like Seymour apparently having taken the dentist's body back to the plant shop via subway.

Also, Audrey II might be my favorite monster design.

I actually got to see the live show like two years ago and it absolutely ripped. LSOH is just a great all-around Thing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

T3hRen3gade posted:

If New Zealand is close enough to count there’s Housebound.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Edit: I'm fuckin dumb

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fun fact:
In Abrshamic religions God moulded Adam from clay. Which is where the concept of golems comes from. However in Norse mythology the first humans, Askur and Embla, were logs of driftwood that Odin and his brothers found washed up on the shore and breathed life into. Because of this the Old Norse (and modern Icelandic/Faroese) word for ghost is "Draugur" a word that originally meant "tree", a ghost (in the Norse sense) being a undead corpse and thus metaphorically a wooden log.

A lot of Twin Peaks just clicked into place.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Origami Dali posted:

I'm not so sure. In some cases, probably, but a lot of them seem purpose-made, and certainly all the more prominent ones like the VHSes and ABCs of Death and Southbound.

My understanding is that if there's any kind of strong running theme or concept, they're probably purpose-made, and if they just seem like a random grab bag it's probably a fix-up made from existing shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

One Cut of The Dead is amazing. Just go in blind. I ended up pausing it at the (first) credit scroll to ask the thread what was so good about it. It is the feel-good hit of the summer. Seriously great movie.