Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I think Revival has the best ending from his most modern books. I didn't mind the ending of 11.22.63 at all.

Also put me down as one of the minority that liked Insomnia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Misery and The Dead Zone have good endings, as well.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
king good

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, I loved Revival's ending, definitely the best of the smattering of modern King I've read.

I enjoyed Insomnia as I was reading it 10-15 years ago, but I don't think I remember a single thing about it.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Steve's patented Drop The Ending™ is why I tend to enjoy his short story works the best. He comes up with a great idea/concept, and then (usually) wraps it up before loving around with it too much. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a lot of his longer works, but I find the odds of getting a good/satisfying ending is much better when he has fewer pages to paint himself into a corner.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

I didn't mind the ending of 11.22.63 at all.

Same.... It didn't blow me away but upon finishing it it felt like kind of the only way I could have seen that story ending without being super depressing/meaningless.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

fishmech posted:

That's what he did for Insomnia. A lot of people dont like that book.

...isn't the ending to Insomnia a friendly geriatric punching the bejeezus out of a jive-talking catfish monster in a teleporting portable toilet?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Coked up Tommyknockers was pretty good too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah Tommy knockers I remember being pretty great. That whole book really freaked me out as a kid

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

April posted:

I've been trying to figure out why King's endings always seem to affect me differently than everyone else in this thread, and I think I finally got it. The endings, from an emotional perspective, are usually fantastic (hear me out). Characters we've come to care deeply about get to have rich, happy lives, or to die terribly and be properly mourned or to try to make what they can with what they have left after [plot happens]. In The Institute when Avery sacrifices himself and thinks "I loved having friends" I was drat near crying in my Cheerios. In IT, when Bill is half-asleep and almost remembering his friends, same thing, and I can't even tell you how many others. The characters & emotions of King's endings just always hit me right in the feelings.

Plot-wise, you are all 100% correct. From O poo poo HAND OF GOD to the ultimate meaninglessness of The Institute itself, to the weird mess that was 11/22/63 and let's not even talk about Under The Dome, drat, there's so much suck for one career. So yes, thread, you are right, but I'm going to keep reading King because I love the way the emotions stick the landing even when the plot doesn't.

Weird because in 11/22/63 I thought he stuck the landing rather well.

He's written a lot of stuff that had decent to great endings but his hit to miss ratio is frustratingly odd for a writer of such great talent who works so loving hard.

Good endings: Christine, Cujo, Dead Zone, Shining, Joyland, Salem's Lot, Rose Madder, Carrie, 11/22/63, The Stand, Misery, Pet Semetary, Long Walk, Revival, Blaze, ...hundreds of short stories...

You're mileage may vary with some of those but, gently caress, he's almost FAMOUS for it and I'm like god drat.

I mean, he CAN do it. I didn't even mind the end of Gerald's Game but so many times he just gets into this weird "well, here's a door to another dimension and there's a bug alien demon that shoots lightning out of it's dick and shits fire plus a big space turtle and an earthquake The End so there"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Canuckistan posted:

I think Revival has the best ending from his most modern books. I didn't mind the ending of 11.22.63 at all.

Also put me down as one of the minority that liked Insomnia.

11.22.63 was a good ending, but either Joe or Owen came up with the idea, I can't remember which.

You ask me, the "King endings are terrible" trope is wildly overstated, as they didn't get bad until the late 90s/early 00s (include the mid 90s if you don't care for the cruel downer endings of Desperation and The Green Mile). I can't think of any "oh my god gently caress off" bad endings until Rose Madder or so.

EDIT: also it irritates me when people conflate the end of The Stand with the cartoony unambiguous version in the miniseries

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You ask me, the "King endings are terrible" trope is wildly overstated, as they didn't get bad until the late 90s/early 00s (include the mid 90s if you don't care for the cruel downer endings of Desperation and The Green Mile). I can't think of any "oh my god gently caress off" bad endings until Rose Madder or so.

Nah, it's a legit thing and this is coming from a guy that didn't even mind the Rose Madder or Gerald's Game endings. I mean, Christ, in his magnum opus/saga, The Dark Tower, that covered (what?) 7 books or some poo poo, he basically came right out and said "gently caress you, I'm not even gonna try to write an ending on this" and dared the reader to hate him for it. I suppose that falls within your timeline for when the endings poo poo the bed but, still, that's a LOT of novels.

Enough to matter at least.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I liked the Dark Tower ending.

I didn’t like that it allowed the Dark Tower movie to be made.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Much like Highlander 2, the Dark Tower movie was never made.

I'm looking forward to the Dark Tower Amazon series.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean, Christ, in his magnum opus/saga, The Dark Tower, that covered (what?) 7 books or some poo poo, he basically came right out and said "gently caress you, I'm not even gonna try to write an ending on this" and dared the reader to hate him for it

Except that's not what happened?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The ending to the Dark Tower is perfectly fine and fits thematically with everything that came before. I mean, "ka is a wheel" is one of the more common phrases throughout the series, big loving surprise that the whole story is a wheel.

What irks most people about the ending is a) the Crimson King being so damned stupid and b) that interlude from King between Roland entering the tower and him being in the tower.

There's also the school of thought that the poem is the true ending, and that works, too.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Crimson king sucked balls but the ending with Roland entering the tower and the final line of the book was perfect. What wasn’t perfect was that tacked on part that he added to the end which was horrific and should never be mentioned.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

What irks most people about the ending is a) the Crimson King being so damned stupid

The Crimson King is the waiter from Lunch at the Gotham Cafe and you can't convince me otherwise. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was kinda pissed by the ending of the DT but now I really have no problem with it. It gives a sense of closure without really ending and I’m hard pressed to come up with something of my own I would like more. What else would Roland find? God who says “this is the answer and this and that”? A big monster he shoots and kills and everyone shows up?

That being said, the crimson king was kind of a letdown and it still irritates me to this day about kings aside to the reader about endings. Nobody gets 99% of the way through their trip and just stops, Steve.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the ending of the dark tower was alright but i was pretty annoyed that flagg and mordred had such pathetic conclusions earlier in the book

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

scary ghost dog posted:

the ending of the dark tower was alright but i was pretty annoyed that flagg and mordred had such pathetic conclusions earlier in the book

yeah that sucked and so did the Danville stuff.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I just started Firestarter for the first time and it really does remind me a lot about The Institute. I really wish The Institute would have touched more on a link between them and The Shop or even the Breakers.

I thought at first the hum would be related to a gateway or thinny of some sort.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
firestarter is top 5 king

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
5) firestarter
4) the dead zone
3) the green mile
2) pet sematary
1) it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

5) firestarter
4) the dead zone
3) the green mile
2) pet sematary
1) it

So 5 random Stephen King books in alphabetical order, but with IT inexplicably at the end?

The Green Mile? Really?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Krispy Wafer posted:

So 5 random Stephen King books in alphabetical order, but with IT inexplicably at the end?

The Green Mile? Really?

Not that I disagree with the sentiment of your post, but what alphabet are you using?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Green Mile? Really?

those are the stephen king novels that i find to have the best, most complete narratives, and It which i just think has the highest highs even if the lows are pretty low.....its my personal top 5. not random at all but the order isnt really set in stone

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the green mile is a really good book

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I remember when The Green Mile came out in 5(?) pieces and they were in the grocery store check out line next to the Archie comics.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

In the beginning of Firestarter he references both Aladdin and The Little Mermaid years before Disney made the cartoons.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it and pet sematary are the two best books so that's a good list imo

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

firestarter is top 5 king

Hell yeah it is. Just finished rereading it and it was great. The ending is satisfying too.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Did King ever comment on the Crimson King remarks?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Acht posted:

Did King ever comment on the Crimson King remarks?

Crimson Stephen King? :airquote:

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Phanatic posted:

My big issue with Act 3 is that if you have a bunch of really incriminating evidence on a thumb drive, absolutely nobody is going to believe you when you use the thumb drive as a bargaining tool and trust that you haven't copied the data. And in turn, if you use that drive as a bargaining tool and the person you're bargaining with says he believes that you will turn over the thumb drive uncopied, you know that he is lying, because nobody would believe that. And I know that Luke's plan was just to buy time so that the kids could escape, but the vast majority of them didn't escape and were either just plain murdered or were killed by the circumstances of the escape attempt. So the plan sucked and they should just have shot the doctor and the administrator in the face Expanse-style and uploaded the entire drive contents to the cloud anyway.

I honestly thought he had done this when Luke had a brief moment w the laptop.

I was sort of fine with the nuclear war deterrence thing until they said the precogs found the targets like 3+ years out when each lab was hosting like 2 wet work squads. I feel like keeping some sort of cosmic horror at bay would have been a more complicated ending and set up some future story with the consequences of this story. I get that King was going for something else with the big bad, though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Tastes evil.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Is that a sour? Those are evil at the best of times.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Blackberry/pomegranate sour, it's actually really damned good.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Trailer for Season 2 of Castle Rock. It looks like they might be adapting Jerusalem's Lot (the short story) with Annie Wilkes as the investigator character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Another new book!? aw crap, more Holly. I can’t stand that whole series plus Da Outsider