Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the intersection of computer dorks, headphone dorks and pro/anti apple dorks is truly a recipe for getting big mad posts cooking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

we're all dorks about one thing or another

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i consulted the manual and it is both

https://www.davidclarkcompany.com/files/literature/ENC%20Manual.pdf

they're crazy high impedance and the frequency response is basically that of a westinghouse telephone handset from 1971

huh, well, there you go. 350-3000hz is a pretty good approximation of human speech, yep, and idk what 150 ohms impedance is in this context but it sounds quite high.

would they sound at least passable if i got one of those stupid headphone amps that audiophile dorks use?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 24, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

huh, well, there you go. would they sound at least passable if i got one of those stupid headphone amps that audiophile dorks use?

not at all

the advertised frequency response is 350 Hz to 3000 Hz -- good enough to render a human voice intelligible, and that's about it. hence the analogy to a telephone handset.

a normal pair of big can headphones is like, 35 Hz to 20,000 Hz, to cover as much of the compact disc spectrum as is physically feasible

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

huh, well, there you go. 350-3000hz is a pretty good approximation of human speech, yep, and idk what 150 ohms impedance is in this context but it sounds quite high.

would they sound at least passable if i got one of those stupid headphone amps that audiophile dorks use?

totally not impressed that someone had to look up the specs for you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

a normal pair of headphones is like 20-30 ohms, so you'll need a pretty "beefy" source to drive these

but even with a good source they will still sound like a 1970s telephone handset

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tbh i'm not sure whether the fidelity-limiting feature in aircraft radio is "1970s telephone speakers" or "overdriven AM radio carrier" anyway so :shrug:

i kinda like the old-fashioned aspects of it all. when two people try to transmit at once you get a heterodyne WOBOBOBOBOBOBOBO noise just like in an old war movie

Chris Knight posted:

totally not impressed that someone had to look up the specs for you

what do i look like, a guy who's not lazy?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i did. the ipad update the icons s are smaller neat

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
keep those AirPod takes coming, I’m almost there

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i got some wireless headphones but i forget to charge them. i only have 1 thing to charge and thats my phone. i guress my computer too. dont like to have too many things to charge. prefer to not do all that plugging, unplugging, docking... etc... i rather just not. just my 2c

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smythe posted:

i got some wireless headphones but i forget to charge them. i only have 1 thing to charge and thats my phone. i guress my computer too. dont like to have too many things to charge. prefer to not do all that plugging, unplugging, docking... etc... i rather just not. just my 2c

i agree with this post, op. i have too many dumb things to charge.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i agree with this post, op. i have too many dumb things to charge.

you should stop charging your posting rigs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
wish lowtax had never charged your credit card!!!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

The Kins posted:

the trashcans are rapidly becoming less metaphorical all throughout tinseltown

https://twitter.com/MarcusPun/status/1176350149309689857

scroogled again, it wasn't avid

https://mrmacintosh.com/google-chrome-keystone-is-modifying-var-symlink-on-non-sip-macs-causing-boot-issues/

remind me again why people use a browser made by an advertising company?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

you should stop charging your posting rigs

hmmm....C+. it gets the point across but it's pretty obvious. not especially novel.

Soricidus posted:

wish lowtax had never charged your credit card!!!

A. that's the kind of work i like to see. keep it up!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

https://mrmacintosh.com/google-chrome-keystone-is-modifying-var-symlink-on-non-sip-macs-causing-boot-issues/

wow lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Found and deleted symlink at path /var

this is basically sabotage

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Gentle Autist posted:

who is this, his face is familiar

e: is it sam smith
my gut says Levi “hockey” Johnson

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:shittypop: lol what the hell

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Smythe posted:

Sounds like you need airpower friend :rip:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Vintersorg posted:

i got beats from my fiance for christmas a couple years back

they are good

but i only use em at the gym and for flights

I tried over ear headphones in the gym but i hated them. They'd fall off my head and get in the way of lifting and get all sweaty.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pram posted:

Found and deleted symlink at path /var

this is basically sabotage

didn't someone post that internally google puts its user home directories in /var in some other thread

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

remember when EVE Online deleted boot‌.ini?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Lmao I didn’t realise graph tried to ban me for a drat month. Christ. I’ll think again before making fun of the cat loving apple fetishist crew.

Thanks for the out of jail card smythe

Enjoy your bad thread everyone

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

didn't someone post that internally google puts its user home directories in /var in some other thread

:stare:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
get hosed blue stymie

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

get hosed blue stymie

YOu don't need to worry about me man, your boy graph is protecting you and the rest of that cat love crew (SO many cuties in that thread btw, I can't deal (◕‿◕✿) ) feel free to post at length about how great apple earpods are, how mad I am, and how not mad and chill you guys are.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Imagining graph getting the report notification on his iphone, throwing two of his five fur babies off his lap in a huff, stomping up to his imac and hitting the 1-month-ban button, all because I told sneip that he's lame for typing "weird flex" into yospos while defending earpods is cool

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Last Chance posted:

I'm pretty sure that was /usr, not /var. thankfully my hack with sip disabled wasn't affected but ill have to look into setting up some actual security now lol. here's how to uninstall google update if anyone needs it

code:
sudo rm -R ~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/
sudo touch ~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate
sudo chmod 444 ~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate
sudo rm ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist
sudo rm -R ~/Library/Caches/com.google.Keystone*
sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.Keystone.Agent.plist

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Someone should sneak a rm -rf /Applications/Chrome in there

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

can we talk about how great AirPods are again? the panopticon telescreen deleting /var and other ‘who cares’ part of my os doesn’t interest or amuse me

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they are the champagne of bluetooth earbuds

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
so what does the crome updater do and why does it do it?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
*chome

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

/var is a very important directory on unix systems. it holds config files and logs and tons of other system critical junk.

on macos /var is a symlink for uhhhh I think historical reasons going back to nextstep???

anyway google gently caress around with the properties of the symlink for some reason, probably some leftover test code in a crapy script. it probably got trough their testing because it only works when you disaple the System Integrity Protection feature of macos and likely none of their test environments do this and also QA culture in general has massively declined in the past 4 years

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Amethyst posted:

/var is a very important directory on unix systems. it holds config files and logs and tons of other system critical junk.

on macos /var is a symlink for uhhhh I think historical reasons going back to nextstep???

anyway google gently caress around with the properties of the symlink for some reason, probably some leftover test code in a crapy script. it probably got trough their testing because it only works when you disaple the System Integrity Protection feature of macos and likely none of their test environments do this and also QA culture in general has massively declined in the past 4 years

:thunk:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Look man I know you’re upset with me but could you stop following me around begging for attention? Thanks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

my headphones still have a cord : /
hell, same. i dunno what i'm gonna do once my 6s finally gives up the ghost. i guess get the dumb audio port lightning dongle and grumble about it on the daily.

lol dang

seems kinda hosed that you have to disable the "don't let stuff gently caress the operating system" feature to use a 3rd-party GPU, though... surely, surely there must be a less poo poo way?

quote:

All Reports so far look to be from Macs that have SIP Disabled!

Please do not disable SIP, it was created to protect macOS from this very issue.

Some AVID users may need to DISABLE SIP for 3rd party Video Card support.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Wheany posted:

so what does the crome updater do and why does it do it?

it updates chome, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Kins posted:

hell, same. i dunno what i'm gonna do once my 6s finally gives up the ghost.