Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Ended up getting an electric burr grinder since it’s faster than the manual one I posted earlier and makes mrs mononcqc use it too. Also one of our friends started a micro-roasting shop. End result is that through that and a French press this household is now 98% off pods and gets much better coffee for it :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

single-task kitchen gizmos are almost always a waste of space and money but a burr grinder’s the exception imo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

bought more beans today, had to make do with a really good white tea in the morning but all's good now

they were out of the Guatemala roast id been buying, but the kenya is good too so its fine and maybe ill start doing cold brews again

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if you already have a coffee zone then adding a good grinder doesn’t take up that much additional space

however I put the grinder away from the drip coffee because accidentally splashing water on a grinder isn’t great

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

single-task kitchen gizmos are almost always a waste of space and money but a burr grinder’s the exception imo

I bought a electric burr grinder just for coffee, no regrets. The old manual grinder is used for spices, win win I'd say.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Radio Nowhere posted:

I bought a electric burr grinder just for coffee, no regrets. The old manual grinder is used for spices, win win I'd say.

same; feels good man

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

didn’t think of using the manual grinder for spices. good idea.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

I’m using manual grinder because I’m poor :v:

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Really grasping for the mug this morning

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

anyone have an espresso machine at home that is actually good

I've never made espresso ever

my kitchen is very small

I hate having money

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the kenya roast isnt as chocolaty and mellow as the guatamala but it's still a good roast and today is dreary so something a bit stronger flavored is helpful

RustyKnight posted:

I’m using manual grinder because I’m poor :v:

i still have a cheap blade grinder :shrug:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

anyone have an espresso machine at home that is actually good

I've never made espresso ever

my kitchen is very small

I hate having money
just get a moka pot op

it’s not espresso but it’s a real nice short coffee

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ya unless you specifically want espresso all the time there isn’t much reason to get an espresso machine, and maintaining them can be a pita, especially compared to most other methods which are really quite simple

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

Agile Vector posted:

the kenya roast isnt as chocolaty and mellow as the guatamala but it's still a good roast and today is dreary so something a bit stronger flavored is helpful

i still have a cheap blade grinder :shrug:

I have Hario Skerton, spend 200PLN (about 50$) and It's ok

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
good coldbrew this afternoon

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Having a coldbrew this morning but the weather is getting chilly. Might be the last carafe for a while. May even switch the furnace on this evening.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
woke up, making #oolong

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

psiox posted:

woke up, making #oolong

mods

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
sorry sorry im trying to fix it

going to have #coffee around noon

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

RustyKnight posted:

I have Hario Skerton, spend 200PLN (about 50$) and It's ok

ooo thats small enough to not crowd the counter and not too pricy either, thanks!

edit: as the only coffee drinker in the house, a small amount of fresh grounds is good too; i could never make a good case for one but this is the same size as my electric cheapo and looks easier to maintain

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 23, 2019

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
imo the hario skerton is, unfortunately, way too plastic to be reliable- the axle gets off-kiler with very little resistance and the result is very imprecise grind (fine for french press or whatever, but you'd be about as well off with a dang blade grinder). the hario was actually my first manual burr grinder, but I was not thrilled with it.

you want a good, cheap manual grinder that takes up little space and is also even more portable? get a porlex; i now love my mini.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I’ve had the tall porlex mini for about 8 months and it’s been good, I don’t have any other hand grinders to compare it with tho

the only complaint I can think of is there’s a gap between the outer burr and the main body and I wonder how many grinds are stuck in there at this point

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

okay those look really sharp too. price wise not far off. ill have to do a bit more reading tonight

thanks for the recs itll be good to refine my coffee setup

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
/!\ just preordered the aeropress go /!\

henry kissinger is aeropress go-ing to die, not a threat, just a fact

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
it is morning which is good because that means it is time for coffee

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer
drank the last of my coldbrew yesterday so i'm drinking the hot beans today

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

did a trial run with the new moka pot last night, beans were ground way too fine and it was struggling to brew anything so this morning I set the grinder as coarse as it’d go and got some good moka

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mr Scoop posted:

drank the last of my coldbrew yesterday so i'm drinking the hot beans today

:same:

i've gotten to really like that "stok" cold-brew stuff. the unsweetened version tastes great

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
greek frappe

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bump_fn posted:

greek frappe

what makes a frappe greek?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

prefect posted:

what makes a frappe greek?

i have no idea why they call it that cause its not served with blended ice. you take isntant coffee (spray-dried works better) and a little bit of water and hit it with a stick blender until you get a really thick foam. then you put some ice in and pour some cold water over, the water melts some of the foam and makes a cold coffee

then wehn you run out of coffee you add a little more water which melts more foam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frapp%C3%A9_coffee

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

love to have this hitachi lookin mother fucjker in my office out on display

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bump_fn posted:

i have no idea why they call it that cause its not served with blended ice. you take isntant coffee (spray-dried works better) and a little bit of water and hit it with a stick blender until you get a really thick foam. then you put some ice in and pour some cold water over, the water melts some of the foam and makes a cold coffee

then wehn you run out of coffee you add a little more water which melts more foam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frapp%C3%A9_coffee

Frappé coffee (also Greek frappé or café frappé Greek: φραπές, frapés)

whoops, i was mentally pronouncing it like "frap" :blush:

(also, i had never heard of "spray-dried" before)

instant coffee was invented in 1901 :monocle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G5LcVUcWAg

prefect fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 25, 2019

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

prefect posted:

Frappé coffee (also Greek frappé or café frappé Greek: φραπές, frapés)

whoops, i was mentally pronouncing it like "frap" :blush:

(also, i had never heard of "spray-dried" before)

instant coffee was invented in 1901 :monocle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G5LcVUcWAg

from some brief googling it seems impossible to find greek coffee places in boston which can't be right, saloniki (a chain i think?), greek corner, and opa greek yeeros all have frappe on their menus online. they might default to serving with milk and sugar but take it as you like, its greak black if you like cofffee that way

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Currently drinkin' sour, boiled perked coffee adulterated with heavy cream and saccharin - just the way I like it! Bad coffee is nostalgia for me.

But nostalgia is a harsh mistress, I bailed halfway through this video because Jesus Christ these guys are relentless assholes, bitching about their wives' "bad coffee". Make your own coffee you loving chud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWIwD9eQ4eQ

Also gently caress you ad companies for trying to make women so goddamn insecure they'll buy lovely 50's instant or preground cans. No wonder back then they popped Miltowns like they were Pez candy.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
tryna decide if i want to make coffee now, or if i want to sit outside for 45m, make coffee, and do the meeting

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

doing a cold brew for first time, hope it wont turn to poo poo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

RustyKnight posted:

its p easy i make coldbrew in the office with some water bottles in the fridge and a french presss

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

RustyKnight posted:

just drink it faster than something grows in it, the idea of screwing up a cold brew is fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

cold brew update: it could really use finner grind but its not as lovely as the light brown color would suggest, much better than the one at coffeehouse chain