Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The correct response to that situation would be to crucify the surviving members of the Ackerman family and retake the stolen money at the end of a bayonet

after all the talk about Louis CK, you’re still just going to masturbate in front of us??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

I’m sorry but exactly how gay should Ellen be acting? Like are you aware that Ellen Degeneres is literally one of the reasons being gay is no longer seen as counter cultural? She’s a skinny waiflike mincing twink who married a mega-gorgeous supermodel, she’s like an Ur-Lesbian. I really don’t follow this weird “Ellen is a sexuality traitor because she’s not like a huge aggressively gay stereotype shoving it down people’s faces” thing at all. I’m also a queer person and it just doesn’t make any sense to me what she could/should be doing differently besides being out and proud and making the world a safer place for gay people to be in. Expecting her to act “gayer” feels fundamentally ignorant.

Ellen can be Ellen and continue to normalize homosexuality with her audience. But she's never been a gay-first firebrand personality even when the Moral Majority practically ran network TV. The big deal with Ellen was that we got to see real cancel culture, not the one that old white male comedians project about.

Hope that clears things up.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"Philanthropy" should not exist.

It's a good ROI for them. It's usually a tiny fraction of what they should be paying, they get to write it off, and they get weirdo sycophants bending over backwards to excuse anything negative they did because they're "philanthropists".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
But Jeff Bezos donated 0.003% of his $123 billion net worth to a charity his company runs, he should be praised!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

LesterGroans posted:

It's a good ROI for them. It's usually a tiny fraction of what they should be paying, they get to write it off, and they get weirdo sycophants bending over backwards to excuse anything negative they did because they're "philanthropists".

Yeah, it's this. It's no coincidence that charity events in general are gross displays of opulence.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Timeless Appeal posted:

No, it's really, really not.

Louis CK habitually sexually harassed women. If you operate a venue, you are putting your employees, patrons, and other comedians at risk by allowing him to work at your venue.

And honestly, yeah, I'd argue that it should be illegal for employers to knowingly expose their employees to a clear risk of harassment or assault.

This is the case with most comics.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a case going on in Australia right now where one jockey allegedly raped another jockey and his court case doesn't come up until next month. The woman who was raped has stopped working in order to avoid her rapist. The ruling body Equestrian Australia sought legal advice on "how best to balance [the accused's] right to earn a living while his matter is before the courts and its responsibility to his alleged victim" and in the end decided "the alleged incident did not take place at any EA events, locations or associated activities" and they didn't want to do anything that might prejudice his trial so they're just going to sit on their hands.
EA director Gillian Canapini quit the board the day before that statement was issued, she didn't provide any public reasons for her decision to step down.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/equestrian-competitor-charged-with-raping-fellow-rider-20190924-p52ukj.html

In addition to horrible australian rape stories and the "what should we do with people accused of rape?" question, late last year a St George NRL (australian rugby league comp)player, Jack De Belin was accused (along with a friend of his) of raping a 19 year-old girl. The details are pretty horrible. He has been charged with a number of things and his trial begins next march.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-20/jack-de-belin-to-face-trial-shortly-before-2020-nrl-season/11429282

This led to the question of how he should be treated by the game, would he be allowed to play? Or some people said he's innocent until proven guilty, so let him play until then. However due to the bad optics rather than any moral concerns really, the NRL introduced a rule that said any player accused of a crime with a potential sentence of 10 years or more would be made to stand down. De Belin himself challenged this rule in court, although he has recently dropped that proceeding, due to being short of cash rumor has it.

De Belin missed the entire 2019 season (it hasn't finished yet, but St George didn't make the playoffs, finished 2nd last and were generally shithouse) and depending on how long the case goes, will miss the start of next season even if found not guilty (if found guilty he's going to jail for a long time and will never play again).

He is still receiving his full pay however, like if he was still playing.

I fully agree with this rule by the NRL, they may only be doing it for image reasons, and they should have done it years ago (seriously, there is something really wrong with league players. Another player called Ben Barba got banned recently for a long string of poo poo but the final straw was throwing a rock at his partners head for fucks sake), but it is a good standard to set IMO, innocent until proven guilty is for courts, other organizations like companies or sports teams can set their own internal rules.

So I don't really care if people like Louis CK or Kevin Hart get cancelled or barred from performing. Comedy clubs can set their own rules.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Every philanthropist is just giving back a small percentage of what they're supposed to while promoting horrible stuff behind the scenes.

that's assuming the recipients of their largesse aren't the philanthropist's own money-laundering "foundation" which they almost always are

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

garycoleisgod posted:

In addition to horrible australian rape stories and the "what should we do with people accused of rape?" question, late last year a St George NRL (australian rugby league comp)player, Jack De Belin was accused (along with a friend of his) of raping a 19 year-old girl. The details are pretty horrible. He has been charged with a number of things and his trial begins next march.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-20/jack-de-belin-to-face-trial-shortly-before-2020-nrl-season/11429282

This led to the question of how he should be treated by the game, would he be allowed to play? Or some people said he's innocent until proven guilty, so let him play until then. However due to the bad optics rather than any moral concerns really, the NRL introduced a rule that said any player accused of a crime with a potential sentence of 10 years or more would be made to stand down. De Belin himself challenged this rule in court, although he has recently dropped that proceeding, due to being short of cash rumor has it.

De Belin missed the entire 2019 season (it hasn't finished yet, but St George didn't make the playoffs, finished 2nd last and were generally shithouse) and depending on how long the case goes, will miss the start of next season even if found not guilty (if found guilty he's going to jail for a long time and will never play again).

He is still receiving his full pay however, like if he was still playing.

I fully agree with this rule by the NRL, they may only be doing it for image reasons, and they should have done it years ago (seriously, there is something really wrong with league players. Another player called Ben Barba got banned recently for a long string of poo poo but the final straw was throwing a rock at his partners head for fucks sake), but it is a good standard to set IMO, innocent until proven guilty is for courts, other organizations like companies or sports teams can set their own internal rules.

So I don't really care if people like Louis CK or Kevin Hart get cancelled or barred from performing. Comedy clubs can set their own rules.

I mean even aside from all the rape there was that guy from the Raiders who blew a dog and then moved to play for England.

Rugby culture is hosed.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean even aside from all the rape there was that guy from the Raiders who blew a dog and then moved to play for England.

Wait, what?!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

DarkSol posted:

Wait, what?!

Hahaha

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-star-confirms-sex-act-with-dog-20101104-17f99.html

Great prank, dude

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A Sometimes Food posted:

Rugby culture is hosed.

for a second there i thought there was an incredibly weird new wrinkle to the Antonio Brown saga

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

It's like the Borgias patronizing sculptors and whatever. Sure you get the Sistine Chapel out of it but just know it largely exists as a way to praise its patron.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hahah loving pranked you dude, I sucked your dog’s dick! I swallowed a bunch of dog cum, so much, haha you’re so pranked lol

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

DeimosRising posted:

Hahah loving pranked you dude, I sucked your dog’s dick! I swallowed a bunch of dog cum, so much, haha you’re so pranked lol

I might be getting mixed up but it’s not even the only beastiality themed scandal in Australian rugby the last few years. I believe there was another but since I follow AFL (who simply has normal, upstanding human on human rape or assault scandals like a civilised sport) I don’t remember the details.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's like the Borgias patronizing sculptors and whatever. Sure you get the Sistine Chapel out of it but just know it largely exists as a way to praise its patron.

The Borgias were the government though. Like, I'm not going to say they were good or didn't use their power for personal gain, but Pope Borgia was the head of a government, and allocated taxes for government projects. The Sistene Chapel is an early version of the WPA.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

teacup posted:

I might be getting mixed up but it’s not even the only beastiality themed scandal in Australian rugby the last few years. I believe there was another but since I follow AFL (who simply has normal, upstanding human on human rape or assault scandals like a civilised sport) I don’t remember the details.

The other one you mention was Mitchell Pearce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH9aDWU06mI

Sorry for the current affair.

The first one everyone mentions they are getting the details wrong and I'm furious. Monaghan didn't blow a dog!

He tried to get the dog to blow him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xauFZVmm2A

Oh, wait, that's worse.

Rugby league people, rugby league.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Bust Rodd posted:

Hart grew up in Philly and knew the school system sucked and I don’t understand why a celebrity spending $50 million to help educate kids and give them better opportunities is seen as a bad thing.

Do you have a source for this $50 million dollar figure? Every result I have found when searching has been one of the two following things:

1. That he donated $250,000 to the Philadelphia school system and additionally donated 300 laptops to the district (https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kevin-hart-philadelphia-donation-schools_n_4182212)

2. That he set up a $650,000 scholarship fund for HBCUs (https://www.uncf.org/the-latest/kevin-harts-charity-launches-a-new-600k-scholarship-program-with-uncf-and-k)

Both of these are certainly to be lauded, but I haven't seen anything even close to the $50 million figure. Where did you see this number?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does Kevin Hart even have $50 mil lying around?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

JfishPirate posted:

Do you have a source for this $50 million dollar figure? Every result I have found when searching has been one of the two following things:

1. That he donated $250,000 to the Philadelphia school system and additionally donated 300 laptops to the district (https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kevin-hart-philadelphia-donation-schools_n_4182212)

2. That he set up a $650,000 scholarship fund for HBCUs (https://www.uncf.org/the-latest/kevin-harts-charity-launches-a-new-600k-scholarship-program-with-uncf-and-k)

Both of these are certainly to be lauded, but I haven't seen anything even close to the $50 million figure. Where did you see this number?

its actually 50 billion

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Does Kevin Hart even have $50 mil lying around?

Google says he's worth $150 million.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's total assets right?

How many sets of platform shoes can one man own?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That's total assets right?

How many sets of platform shoes can one man own?

He's probably got investments tied up into a crossfit franchise or something. He's rich as hell, but you're probably correct that he doesn't have $50 million cash lying around

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My understanding from staff meetings and working within the city that he made several large anonymous donations early in his career and then once he started his production company in earnest and began to have shareholders and investors he switched to “real” donations for tax purposes, but I was never an accountant, I was an educator taking notes during meetings.

What I can tell you is that every Rec center, after school program, and west/north philly public school I worked in had a “Kevin Hart memorial Computer Science lab”. Sorry I don’t have hard numbers or receipts to back it up. This is all between 2012 and 2016, so the majority of his donations would’ve been between 2008-2012.

Hart has a production company, but he’s also partnered with several media outlets and a few banks to work on a web series about helping inner city youth and the black communities gain financial independence, and he’s also gone full Joe Rogan by developing nutritional supplements. Dude seriously owns like 25 businesses, including a custom car body shop. His money is making him money.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 26, 2019

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

he’s also gone full Joe Rogan by developing nutritional supplements.

But has he ever tried DMT?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

My understanding from staff meetings and working within the city that he made several large anonymous donations early in his career and then once he started his production company in earnest and began to have shareholders and investors he switched to “real” donations for tax purposes, but I was never an accountant, I was an educator taking notes during meetings.

What I can tell you is that every Rec center, after school program, and west/north philly public school I worked in had a “Kevin Hart memorial Computer Science lab”. Sorry I don’t have hard numbers or receipts to back it up. This is all between 2012 and 2016, so the majority of his donations would’ve been between 2008-2012.

Hart has a production company, but he’s also partnered with several media outlets and a few banks to work on a web series about helping inner city youth and the black communities gain financial independence, and he’s also gone full Joe Rogan by developing nutritional supplements. Dude seriously owns like 25 businesses, including a custom car body shop. His money is making him money.

Oh ok I guess he can use gay slurs then. That seems very generous of him do you think he should get a 'free rape' pass too?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What's the current going rate for how much philanthropy you gotta do to get away with killing a child

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What's the current going rate for how much philanthropy you gotta do to get away with killing a child
Ask John Landis.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

graventy posted:

Oh ok I guess he can use gay slurs then. That seems very generous of him do you think he should get a 'free rape' pass too?

I don't give a poo poo about Hart or any other dumbass who says dumb poo poo, but what in the hell are these garbage responses supposed to be? Dude was answering a question.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

I don't give a poo poo about Hart or any other dumbass who says dumb poo poo, but what in the hell are these garbage responses supposed to be? Dude was answering a question.

He didn't really answer the question, unless you accept those paragraphs as 'No, I don't have a source for him donating $50 million'.

Despite Bust Rodd's efforts this isn't really the place to talk about the wonderful good works of slur-users or rapists EDIT sorry, molesters.

graventy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 26, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bust Rodd posted:

oh poo poo is kevin hart dead, has this been a collective sixth sense situation where we just keep going to watch movies with a ghost in them?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

oh poo poo is kevin hart dead, has this been a collective sixth sense situation where we just keep going to watch movies with a ghost in them?

Don't be silly.

Hollywood has been using a hologram like they did with Tupac. Duh.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

graventy posted:

Despite Bust Rodd's efforts this isn't really the place to talk about the wonderful good works of slur-users or rapists.

Waitasec. Who committed rape? Last several pages have been about two comedians, neither of whom have been accused of rape.

On that note, are there people still seriously proposing that if Kevin Hart or Louis CK go into an open mic with a wig and fake beard and they get found out that we ought to send them to jail for performing? Because if that's so, that's dumb as gently caress. I agree with the poster earlier who said standup comedy is one of those instances where the free market is actually a good thing. Let audiences decide what they want to see.

I'd ban pro-wrestling but in order to do that, we'd have to put some laws in place that would backfire immediately.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

phasmid posted:

Waitasec. Who committed rape? Last several pages have been about two comedians, neither of whom have been accused of rape.

On that note, are there people still seriously proposing that if Kevin Hart or Louis CK go into an open mic with a wig and fake beard and they get found out that we ought to send them to jail for performing? Because if that's so, that's dumb as gently caress. I agree with the poster earlier who said standup comedy is one of those instances where the free market is actually a good thing. Let audiences decide what they want to see.

I'd ban pro-wrestling but in order to do that, we'd have to put some laws in place that would backfire immediately.

They should be executed. They've already hoovered up vastly more resources than any normal human being should be allowed.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

porfiria posted:

They should be executed. They've already hoovered up vastly more resources than any normal human being should be allowed.

If you're talking as a general rule, yeah, okay. I'm on board. Let's start with everybody in Forbes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

But Jeff Bezos donated 0.003% of his $123 billion net worth to a charity his company runs, he should be praised!

It should be noted (not as a defence of Jeff Bezos necessarily, just as an observation) that one of the unique things he's done with his philanthropy, that many people who've received money have commented on, is that he's very hands-off compared with the average Rich gently caress giving money away. Many philanthropists are borderline obsessed with maintaining very tight control over the money they donate, demanding reports, directing how the money can be spent very narrowly, etc.

That's another reason the average rich guy gets off on philanthropy more than paying their taxes: they get to exert tight control over it and make people dance for their money. Bezos has apparently not done this to the same degree, and that should be considered a positive thing, though it's still a plainly inadequate amount and he should be responsible first to his employees, and then to the government, before having the ability to be philanthropic with whatever those two groups, properly compensated, leave him with.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

you do not gotta hand it to him

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bezos said he needs to focus on space travel in order to advance humanity the same week he kicked 2,000 employees off their healthcare plans.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

It should be noted (not as a defence of Jeff Bezos necessarily, just as an observation) that one of the unique things he's done with his philanthropy, that many people who've received money have commented on, is that he's very hands-off compared with the average Rich gently caress giving money away. Many philanthropists are borderline obsessed with maintaining very tight control over the money they donate, demanding reports, directing how the money can be spent very narrowly, etc.

That's another reason the average rich guy gets off on philanthropy more than paying their taxes: they get to exert tight control over it and make people dance for their money. Bezos has apparently not done this to the same degree, and that should be considered a positive thing, though it's still a plainly inadequate amount and he should be responsible first to his employees, and then to the government, before having the ability to be philanthropic with whatever those two groups, properly compensated, leave him with.

If I were a philanthropist hell yeah I would control every dollar. Not to make people "dance" but to make sure that, say, if I invested in medical or evironmental research that it would go to actual research instead of vanishing into "administration costs" (i.e. the pockets of the senior lab executives)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

If I were a philanthropist hell yeah I would control every dollar. Not to make people "dance" but to make sure that, say, if I invested in medical or evironmental research that it would go to actual research instead of vanishing into "administration costs" (i.e. the pockets of the senior lab executives)

Getting every donated dollar into a rich fucker's pocket instead of anywhere useful is the entire point of rich person charity.