Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
no ring

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

alright, i finally got through to the other side of the starting mountain and messed around a bit on the surface until i found the point where the game devs absolutely 100% don't want you going any further, lmao. it's less exciting than one might think. went down and hosed around in the pyramid some but didn't find anything super interesting and then went into the sand caves or whatever and hosed around a bit but eventually got overwhelmed. not sure if there was a holy mountain portal to be found.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Zedlic posted:

I think it's the same bug as restarts the game every new run. Seems to clear all progression, at least for me. Every run is the first one.

Nah even though it's resetting stats , if you click "Progress" in the menu you can still see a list of every perk and spell effect you've discovered across all your runs. The bestiary section seemed to be bugged though unless there's some other requirement to make monsters show than just killing them

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

So how do I get this to stop restarting the entire game on a New Game? I admit it's fulfilling to set a new record every single time I play but

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
The complete (?) lack of healing outside the holy mountain and specific perks hurts - getting hit with acid or fire can be 50% of your health right there without a convenient pool of water.

Also, has anyone figured out the specifics of how the spell types and wand slots interact? It seems like they mostly go left to right then repeat, with modifiers effecting the next spell in the slot?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
The strongest wand you can find is the raincloud wand so you can stop yourself being on acid fire immediately, and dilute waste pools and gently caress up the fire demon dudes.

Also there's a wand that's just a torch and it made me laugh and it's surprisingly useful when you don't get a fire trail or some other infinite fire method

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hmm, the super dark area further to the left from the collapsed mines is spooky. i wonder if there's a way to see in there.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
my favorite wand so far is the lightning wand which helpfully lights up the area around you, and also stunlocks you with shock effects if you ever accidentally dip it into water

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Those fire demon guys are the worst when they pick up a wand and instantly destroy you with magic bolts and fireballs.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Are you able to mix and match spells? I know you can put multiple spells in a wand and it's either random or in order what casts, but I put an acid cloud on the default want expecting it to make acid clouds on impact and, instead, it just spawned one on me and started melting me. Is there a way to combine these things so I can throw ranged acid clouds?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

hmm, the super dark area further to the left from the collapsed mines is spooky. i wonder if there's a way to see in there.

not even the reveal spell works.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

chainsaw is the best wand. had that and a powered up homing lance and fought __THE WORM__ who had destroyed most of level 3. it cracks ice in one go, and homing lance can deal with the enemies there in one shot each. I also found some kind of snowbase, a HUGE plain of dense stone that went nowhere but was very mysterious, the Roots of the Tree, and a bunch of other Mysterious poo poo.

then death came for me while i was peeping my shop options. the gods were real mad.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Are you able to mix and match spells? I know you can put multiple spells in a wand and it's either random or in order what casts, but I put an acid cloud on the default want expecting it to make acid clouds on impact and, instead, it just spawned one on me and started melting me. Is there a way to combine these things so I can throw ranged acid clouds?

Yes but you need to find a spell with a little icon on it in the corner (a clock and something else i forget) and equip it -- firing one of those will cast the next spell on your list at the projectile's location either after a short amount of time has passed or on impact, respectively. That lets you make spell launchers and spell grenades and poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it definitely gets hard as gently caress once you get way further down. i was pissed because my run basically got ended by a worm chewing up the temple and pissing off the gods. nothing i could have done to stop it.

not sure if there's a clear reason to go to a lot of the side areas yet

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
This game is an amazing systemic rube goldberg murder-suicide simulator, and i'm enjoying every second of blissful hubris it affords me.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Johnny Joestar posted:

orb

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what are those even for

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

woah, Falling Sand Game, but an action game? I'm in

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

If you have enough hp and a good wand you can make a lot of money killing stuff in the side areas.

Its a lot of fun figuring out which spells can carry you pretty far in the game and which ones will almost always kill you

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm really excited for this game. It's been a lot of fun and some of things that annoy me the most are things that can be addressed with polish - the game is already fun and the future looks bright.

One of the most concerning elements about the Modern Roguelite Design is meta progression. Nothing destroys my enthusiasm for a game quite as quickly as meta progression. I'm thrilled to report that it seems like Noita does not include meta progression - thank god.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Can you customize the controls? Specifically can you set Spacebar to jump/levitate?

edit: vvv thanks!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 25, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

GreatGreen posted:

Can you customize the controls? Specifically can you set Spacebar to jump/levitate?

Spacebar already does that but yes.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I feel like homing spells is the only thing that can carry my incompetent rear end through the later areas. There just really isn't anything more effective (afaik) than just spamming a million little magic bolts around a corner. It also helps a lot with the offscreen sniper enemies. My biggest problem holding me back is probably my unwillingness to use the consumable spells. At that point in the game you usually have a wand with like 100+ fireballs on it or something.

Favorite accidental element combo so far (spoiler just in case people care about finding out what spells/perk exist) : The electric touch perk + the instant ocean spell .

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm really excited for this game. It's been a lot of fun and some of things that annoy me the most are things that can be addressed with polish - the game is already fun and the future looks bright.

One of the most concerning elements about the Modern Roguelite Design is meta progression. Nothing destroys my enthusiasm for a game quite as quickly as meta progression. I'm thrilled to report that it seems like Noita does not include meta progression - thank god.

I think this might actually not be true but it seems to be buried pretty deep. I know of 2 secret things right now that seemingly "remember" being discovered during previous runs. I'm just not sure what they do lol

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Game hard! But its p good. Wish I could easily see how my status build up is doing. Like, am I close to getting poisoned, or can I take a bit more? I think your robes are supposed to be a hint but they're not always easy to make out when everything is on fire and so am I!

Once got to the next store and bought a wand that turned out to be a rapid fire teleport shooter. So it really rapidly repositioned me to where ever I fired. It isn't easy to get an idea for what a thing does until you get it despite all the stats!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Wands can have innate effects that apply to every spell you put in it. I found one with the 'fire in all directions' mod. It fired bouncing shots that were also on fire.

Strigiform
Mar 15, 2010
I found a wand that had an innate fireworks spell and then proceeded to attach bouncing and flame trails. I fired a test shot and the world proceeded to explode as the bounces created a cataclysm of fireworks that killed me and everything else around me instantly.

10/10

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

There is a spell named "Death Cross".

I found that it lived up to its name as I cast it and then died.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So what does Berserk, Hydrated, and Blood status effects actually do?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
It tells you the effect if you mouse over them. Hydrated and bloody makes you less susceptible to fire. So, basically, wet. You can also wash off poison and slime if you jump in water/blood.

I'm loving it, it's one of the videogamiest videogames I've ever played in the best possible way. I also loving love that this game models buoyancy.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Xaris posted:

Berserk makes wizardperson swear a lot and gives them a significant damage boost, the starter spark goes from 3 on the initial enemies to around 15. Hydrated is just being covered in water and makes it harder to set your wizardperson on fire. Blood is similar to water, but it also gives you a better chance to crit, in short, Bathe in The Blood of Your Enemies.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
blood insulates from fire like water, but it also gives you a bonus to crit chance if you're covered in it. as near as I can tell, berserk increases your damage output and might make it easier for enemies to notice you? i don't know if this game actually has a concept of stealth, though

another thing i have learned: it's possible to burrow through the level dividers, which you can use to head back to higher levels, but it tends to rouse dangerous lich gods that hunt after you from there on out, seems sorta like the angry shopkeeper mechanic from spelunky

e: also most importantly if you mouse over your status effects they'll tell you what they do. sometimes they're a bit cryptic but the tooltips have been quite useful for me so far

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This does not appear to be true. There are spoilers attached to it and spell spawn (from my playing).

Xaris posted:

They can override negatives like toxic. Getting bloody/moist removes poison etc.

If you're a vampire blood has effects.

Beserk may affect attacks(?)

Moistness discourages fire.

All eliminate invisibility.

-GENERAL ADVICE-
Combust things before they combust you. No lantern undamaged.

Get/make water bottles.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Based on trials and errors, to create your custom spell, place multi-cast first, spell modifier second, then actual spell projectile third to make them behave correctly. Without multi-cast, if you put a bunch of different spell in your wand it'll just cycle through the spell. Note some wand has innate multi-cast capability.

Noita got good the moment I got a triple casting, bouncing projectile, fire trail, burning trail, and gunpowder arc wand. One mouse click cause the entire screen to explode for a good 15 seconds. Oh, and I also got fire immunity :getin:

Berzerk seems to double your damage and will cause enemies to attack each other. By the way, right click with flask to spray it instead of chucking the whole thing.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 25, 2019

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So I managed to get over the mountain on the east with a lucky terrain spawn of a floating island. Found an orb and this green tablet with lore on it that I got by slowly shooting open the bottom of a floating ice island from the peak of the mountain. Also bombed my way inside the temple and found three absurdly good wands at the top of it after I used a second bomb to open up the acid chamber they were all in and drain it out. Also there was a second orb on the top of the pyramid temple with another lore tablet next to it.

I'm sure there's stuff on the other side of the giant tree to the left, but it seems to be immune to fire and if you shoot out holes in the side to stand on to recover your levitation, it spawns in like six acid floating eye guys to murder you once you get high enough. I got over once, found an ice field, and then got murdered.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 25, 2019

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
You can dig your way under the tree with an appropriate wand or with just lucky terrain generation.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Armadillo Tank posted:

This does not appear to be true. There are spoilers attached to it and spell spawn (from my playing).

I'm not 100% sure what this means but I hope it means that there IS some meta progression. I understand being kind of a rogue-like purist or whatever but while the game is a ton of fun to play and I don't regret buying it at all, the "no meta progression" (in my plays so far) has really kinda bummed me out. Makes me feel like the good run down to level 3 or whatever was completely meaningless. Even if it just let me keep some gold or let me spend the gold I earned for some one-time buff for the next run (that you can skip if you don't care about meta progression) or something like that. Even just randomized starting equipment or a choice out of three secondary wands or.. I dunno, ANYTHING but a weird complete restart of the game with a new seed. But hey, that's what EA is for so I'm not really worried.

To not just be a whiny baby about the game, I think the physics are absolutely insane. There's so much stuff that keeps blowing my mind. The liquid physics with oil swimming on water, the fire spreading. They even simulate the smoke! Stuff's real good, and it can only get better from here I hope!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Crypt of the Necrodancer had a good model for meta progression. You had one mode where you went one zone at a time, collected gems to buy new items to appear in the dungeon or bonuses to your next run, but another mode that had you do the whole game top to bottom that disregarded all of that. So you could make tangible progress while you were getting a feel for the game and exploring its options, then you could do proper runs once you felt ready.

My Noita highlight so far has been reaching the temple shop for the first time, getting a spell that modifies my wand with electric light, then jumping in the water and immediately dying of electrocution. This is definitely a game where the best anecdotes are the hilarious ways you ate poo poo.

One warning, while getting a feel for the spell system I dropped a spell but couldn't pick it up again because it landed on a shop item I couldn't afford. The shop dialog was taking priority over just picking things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

abraxas posted:

meta prog talk

This game needs starting edit wands anywhere. I would have so much more fun with that. Like picking a perk you unlocked would be nice. Or starting as a different kind of wizrobe (like the pyromancers or teleport wizards)

So much of the game depends on not getting poo poo wand roles in the opening area it is annoying.