Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A couple of outsiders have taken over the local gang and have taught them the virtues of forming an orderly line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/AlexTheHonk/status/1175610768391204864

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1176281486812561408

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1176264902291230720

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) Parrot

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A couple of outsiders have taken over the local gang and have taught them the virtues of forming an orderly line.

That's not a line, it's a Cockaqueue.

Actually, the idea of just meeting lots of wild cockatoos fills me a weird mixture of joy and apprehension - I love them, but I also fear them.

I have seen 2 or 3 jackdaws like this close to where I live - chocolately brown all over, they were beautiful :)

Pookah has a new favorite as of 08:12 on Sep 24, 2019

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I keep telling Tony to take more picture of corvids, but he keeps giving us pictures like this handsome fella.

Though to be fair, in this region we're pretty much just crows, with a few jays.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Pookah posted:

:golfclap:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Even owls are subject to bird logic

You can turn your head round, you don't need to bend down to look behind you!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pookah posted:

Actually, the idea of just meeting lots of wild cockatoos fills me a weird mixture of joy and apprehension - I love them, but I also fear them.

Whaat? I'm scrambling to find to find anything fearful about them. They're loud and obnoxious I guess?

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
They're very large with finger-shearing knives taking up most of their faces.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zeth posted:

They're very large with finger-shearing knives taking up most of their faces.

They also have the intellect and temperament of two year olds who stay at that mental age for their entire lives. Flying two-year-olds with bolt cutters for faces, and their face is their primary way of interacting with the world.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You guys are nuts they're harmless little angels.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

You guys are nuts they're harmless little angels.

:emptyquote:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, they are probably one of the least dangerous animals in Australia.

It's the magpies you have to watch out for :black101:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What these friendly little fellas?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cockatoos are only dangerous if you're a tree, a fixture, a garden hose or any form of inanimate object.

The streetlight at the end of my street has been replaced six times in the last few years cause the local cockies enjoy destroying it.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

This little guy would never destroy your things. He is nice birb.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

What these friendly little fellas?

oh shi

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That's his house now.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Whaat? I'm scrambling to find to find anything fearful about them. They're loud and obnoxious I guess?

I live with an african grey who has on very rare occasions bitten literal lumps out of me - she's a good sweet girl but like any of us she loses her temper sometimes. Cockatoos are twice her size, and their beaks apparently give much more painful bites than a grey's can - not just because of their size but the beak shape is different.

I fear parrot bites because they hurt like HECK.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I think it's very natural for anything with eyes to fear anything with beaks, frankly

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Pookah posted:

I live with an african grey who has on very rare occasions bitten literal lumps out of me - she's a good sweet girl but like any of us she loses her temper sometimes. Cockatoos are twice her size, and their beaks apparently give much more painful bites than a grey's can - not just because of their size but the beak shape is different.

I fear parrot bites because they hurt like HECK.

A lot of parrots will give a pretty nasty crunch when they're pissed off, Greys do the added spite crunch and grind. I've known cockatiels to draw blood, their bigger cousins can definitely gently caress you up if they want.

I'm fortunate that the one time I got bitten by our b&g macaw it was because he thought my little toe was a peanut. The fortune is that because it didn't take him much force to chew a peanut I still have that toe.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My sun conure is tiny compared to a cockatoo and he can bite drat hard too

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tsaedje posted:

A lot of parrots will give a pretty nasty crunch when they're pissed off, Greys do the added spite crunch and grind. I've known cockatiels to draw blood, their bigger cousins can definitely gently caress you up if they want.

I'm fortunate that the one time I got bitten by our b&g macaw it was because he thought my little toe was a peanut. The fortune is that because it didn't take him much force to chew a peanut I still have that toe.

That was indeed fortunate!

My bird only every did the really vicious Grey biting thing for a short period a few years ago. The rest of the 19+ years she's been pretty mellow. The bad time was when she was in the middle of a crazy hormone storm - she'd just had an implant put in and no-one told me that the problems she'd been given the implant for would GREATLY increase in the week or so afterwards. She bit me five times that week - hard hard bites.
I remember one time, she'd just bitten me again, and I said HEY - really reproachfully, not angrily and she just looked at me with these big wide furiously angry eyes and bit me again.

The awful thing was I had to push myself to keep on putting out my hand for her to step up on to, even though there was a good chance I'd get bitten, because I knew that if I lost my nerve I'd risk never being able to pick her up again.

Happy ending though - the hormones did work, the implant would have worn off years ago now and she's been fine ever since :)

Pookah has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Sep 25, 2019

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tsaedje posted:

Even owls are subject to bird logic

You can turn your head round, you don't need to bend down to look behind you!

That position makes it easier to aim the poop cannon

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/thebadbucket/status/1176999678216298496

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

This is the final bird of the batch. When will Tony post more birbs? Who knows? But you can be sure I will repost them here when he does.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Elías García Martínez, Ecce Ave, restored

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ShannonSkalos/status/1175998726390702081

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZGNxOwIWl4

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Can anyone find the video where a guy is trying to get his parrot to speak French but it instead calls him a twat? The video I had bookmarked is broken, but it might have another upload that I can't find.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i got you fam :)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
So there is definitely a young Quaker parrot flock by my work. I'm wondering if the red crown I thought I saw was a reflection off their glossy heads from somewhere.

The Quakers are curious about me. The other night, I dropped a tomato from my sandwich on the ground Uber them and walked to my bus stop. I don't know if they ate it, but I figured it is bright red, so they probably appreciated the gesture.

This morning, one of them followed me for a short distance from the busstop yelling at me, as only a Quaker parrot can. Probably wondering why I was not taking pictures or dropping did scraps. I have a witness this time at least, since my coworker was walking with me.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Master Twig posted:

I keep telling Tony to take more picture of corvids, but he keeps giving us pictures like this handsome fella.

Though to be fair, in this region we're pretty much just crows, with a few jays.

Still corvids.

Crows love Cheetos and in-shell peanuts.

Tony loves pictures of crows if he knows what's good for him. (This is not a.real threat. His work is amazing and I wish him the best)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yea I wanna second that I am glad that this thread could help Tony take more photos of birds

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Pookah posted:

The awful thing was I had to push myself to keep on putting out my hand for her to step up on to, even though there was a good chance I'd get bitten, because I knew that if I lost my nerve I'd risk never being able to pick her up again.

If she had bitten you hard enough, you could have lost a nerve.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of corvids, this handsome fella is a Florida Scrub Jay, the only bird endemic to Florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

speaking of corvids, this handsome fella is a Florida Scrub Jay, the only bird endemic to Florida

He looks pretty smug about it too