Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Star Citizen has been in development long enough that they themselves are getting archered.

e: this taxxe is dedicated to forums poster cat mattress

Hazamuth fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9X-EQEQDQ

Its soooooo bad, what the gently caress Blizzard

Massive cringe

In the first 20 second or so, I felt a tinge of nostalgia; I was thinking maybe I should play the campaign or watch all the cutscenes on YT. Figure out what happened since SC/BW. Then I finished watching the vid. I have zero desire to find out more about SC2 story.

That was terrible.

To be fair, Blizzard tended to be iffy on the storyline back in the day. The readouts between maps in Warcraft 2 were nothing special. D1/D2 were also mediocre in terms of story. SC/BW was decent, still not as good as C&C or even Red Alert 1.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Just watching Beet's video on the new player experience and that's certainly impressive.

He summoned his ship and took off without once being flung into a stimperial void or spectralised across time; I don't think I've ever seen that in SC before. Is this... progress?

And then there's the actual travel. As someone who's driven most of the way across ED's galaxy, to have a mechanism that takes longer and is vastly worse than supercruise is fascinating.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

skeletors_condom posted:

To be fair, Blizzard tended to be iffy on the storyline back in the day. The readouts between maps in Warcraft 2 were nothing special. D1/D2 were also mediocre in terms of story.
Eh, I kinda disagree, the first two Diablo games had a really good back story and then a really actively bad foreground story. Like what was that poo poo with the dude that somehow followed the wanderer and then was supposed to go to hell or gently caress I forget.

D2 is always going to feel weird since they clearly ran out of time and didn't finish the last quarter of the game. Hell had like, one real quest?

I've never finished D3.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

skeletors_condom posted:

In the first 20 second or so, I felt a tinge of nostalgia; I was thinking maybe I should play the campaign or watch all the cutscenes on YT. Figure out what happened since SC/BW. Then I finished watching the vid. I have zero desire to find out more about SC2 story.

That was terrible.

To be fair, Blizzard tended to be iffy on the storyline back in the day. The readouts between maps in Warcraft 2 were nothing special. D1/D2 were also mediocre in terms of story. SC/BW was decent, still not as good as C&C or even Red Alert 1.

The briefings between maps in Warcraft 2 were amazing, what are you talking about? I wish the human faction narrator would narrate every RTS ever.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

So, being that Chris Roberts is such a game design God, what games do people (well, goons, none of you are real people) think he is currently playing?

My guess is that if it's not on the in flight entertainment system of first class, he has not yet played it.

I think it would be beneficial for him to play prison architect. So that he understands what's going on in his future.

(In fact, I'm sure when I played it in early access, it had a prisoner call Chris Roberts)

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 25, 2019

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

There's a Chris Roberts in Elite too lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’ll have you know chris roberts has played all the best games ever made, such as wing commander, wing commander 2, wing commander academy, wing commander privateer, strike commander, wing commander armada, wing commander 3, wing commander 4, and freelancer

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Soricidus posted:

I’ll have you know chris roberts has played watch YouTube let's play of all the best games ever made, such as wing commander, wing commander 2, wing commander academy, wing commander privateer, strike commander, wing commander armada, wing commander 3, wing commander 4, and freelancer

Ftfy

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
this year at citcon will be purchasable mines which you can employ space poors to work in or enslave them through creative use of the 'verses legal system

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n599Yhwacic

I did a thing, because I need attention.......and because I can't stop laughing at how many backers still haven't realized this ship is one giant troll-machine. The only thing better is CIG in spectrum chat trying to play it down.

I don't normally post my own crap anywhere, but I really wanna hurry this hornet's nest up versus waiting for backers to have their light bulb moment over due time.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Spiderdrake posted:

Eh, I kinda disagree, the first two Diablo games had a really good back story and then a really actively bad foreground story. Like what was that poo poo with the dude that somehow followed the wanderer and then was supposed to go to hell or gently caress I forget.

D2 is always going to feel weird since they clearly ran out of time and didn't finish the last quarter of the game. Hell had like, one real quest?

I've never finished D3.

I disagree with your disagreement. Diablo had near to no story and we finally understand that it's the overused demons vs angels setting. Blizzard games were always poo poo to mediocre in the story department, what made them good is the very polished bug free experience and good gameplay. Nowadays their games are just poo poo all around.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zzr posted:

what made them good is the very polished bug free experience
Uh, so you never played D2 then? Because that game had piles of bugs, several of which they couldn't fix until the expansion because it ran too deep in their code.

Like, armor didn't work past act 1 because they made a hard code math error that cause enemy AP to scale four times as fast as it was supposed to.

Calling Blizzard known for a bug free experience basically says you never played Blizzard games.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

colonelwest posted:

Star Citizen is a 2D scrolling multiplayer text-based adventure forum and social media simulator of unprecedented fidelity. You’re playing it right now.

Nice. I love that genre of games!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

eonwe posted:

hello
  • Chris is supposedly in havana but: "Turbulent got an offensive phone call from Guatemala"
  • nobody is running derby, there is a hologram that welcomes you at the door now
  • Ben keeps sending postcards with ship doodles on, they actually liked The Medusa. ("Talk of mirror ships to counter.")
  • A mood band which alters FOIP launches in october: "Trials of the lurking response have been upsetting."
  • Papy hasn't been seen since the death stranding video, there is a scratching sound coming from his room
  • Exclusive emotes planned for Spectrum: "We have an exploration flavour for the High Admiral tier"
  • "Somebody keeps cutting the crytek logo into mouse mats"

hosed up if true

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 25, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Hav posted:

I bought a Valve Index. Can someone point me at a resource for mining in ED?

Yes but you'll have to interface with reddit

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiderdrake posted:

Uh, so you never played D2 then? Because that game had piles of bugs, several of which they couldn't fix until the expansion because it ran too deep in their code.

Like, armor didn't work past act 1 because they made a hard code math error that cause enemy AP to scale four times as fast as it was supposed to.

Calling Blizzard known for a bug free experience basically says you never played Blizzard games.

+1, also Diablo had its share of bugs as well. Players these days only remember the late patches, though, and tend to forget that for example until 1.10 (3 years after release!) D2 didn't have any synergies or rune words.

There's a reason why D1 had 9 patches and D2 25 patches over the years, and they were far from purely adding new content.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Synergies didnt exist until like the before last patch too

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

skeletors_condom posted:

That was terrible.

I would say D1 barely had a story and D2's story was simple enough for the kind of game it was. As I recall, the cutscenes between acts in D2 were made by regular Blizzard without Blizzard North even being involved.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

You’ve already put a lot more thought into this than CI!G, but we’re a freewheeling vile hate thread and quite inclusionary for our blood red anger and incoherent spite.

To be fair, putting more thought into something than CIG has isn't exactly hard. You just have to… you know… think for a minute or so.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

So, being that Chris Roberts is such a game design God, what games do people (well, goons, none of you are real people) think he is currently playing?

My guess is that if it's not on the in flight entertainment system of first class, he has not yet played it.

I think it would be beneficial for him to play prison architect. So that he understands what's going on in his future.

(In fact, I'm sure when I played it in early access, it had a prisoner call Chris Roberts)

Should he not play The Escapists instead? It seems more relevant to put him in jail and also remind him of the Escapist article that prompted his supposed 8 hour rant on the SC website. :D

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9X-EQEQDQ

Its soooooo bad, what the gently caress Blizzard

Massive cringe

skeletors_condom posted:

That was terrible.

Playing SC2 campaign for story is like playing star citizen for fun. You play it for fun missions with OP upgrades.
Also, it was some time since I played Red Alert 1, but was there even some meaningful story? The cutscenes were nice B-movie quality crap, but most of it was just: oh yeah, next mission: kill the other dudes, with occasional mention of chronosphere/iron curtain, and a brief cameos of Kane

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

commando in tophat posted:

Playing SC2 campaign for story is like playing star citizen for fun. You play it for fun missions with OP upgrades.
Also, it was some time since I played Red Alert 1, but was there even some meaningful story? The cutscenes were nice B-movie quality crap, but most of it was just: oh yeah, next mission: kill the other dudes, with occasional mention of chronosphere/iron curtain, and a brief cameos of Kane

Red Alert 2 cutscenes, though... I think those were my favourite cutscenes ever, even if Yuri was Kane rip-off, kinda.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I think you need to watch someone's LP's, buddy!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I am still catching up with the thread but that Guiness record does not show Elite, it shows DNF?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm not quite ready to watch rexshilla if that's what you mean. I recently watched inside star citizen for the first time (that one about revolutionary hand held mining where you fidelitiously pick up every bit from ground), and I'm still recovering :(

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MedicineHut posted:

I am still catching up with the thread but that Guiness record does not show Elite, it shows DNF?

This one doesn't (which is just silly in the first place): https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/longest-development-period-for-a-simulation-game/

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Enchanted Hat posted:

The briefings between maps in Warcraft 2 were amazing, what are you talking about? I wish the human faction narrator would narrate every RTS ever.

Maybe I am judging the game too harshly. I recently replayed Warcraft 2 (thanks gog!) and after a few levels, the briefings got a bit samey.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MedicineHut posted:

The link Deathsmessenger gives does say its Elite, but you've got to laugh at what the actual award is based on.

"Braben mentioned plans to work on Elite IV at E3 1997. More than 17 years later the PC version of the game’s fourth instalment – Elite: Dangerous (Frontier Developments) – is set for a worldwide release in late 2014, with a Mac version due to follow some three months later."

So basically Braben said "I have plans to make Elite 4 one day" and that is what the award is based on.

Perhaps one day i'll go into space fulfilling my 40+ year plan of going into space that i declared i wanted to do as a child. I wonder if i'll get a Guiness record for the longest time spent getting into space.

And Deathsmessenger really is using that to try and show ED has been in development all those years. Crazy.

Maybe the award should be more along the lines of longest time from announcing intention to actual delivery.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Ah thanks, it looks like Guiness is wrongly treating the intent, or the statement about intention to start, as the actual start?

https://www.sslmit.unibo.it/zat/frontier.htm

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
dnf: longest active development
elite: longest time between sequels? although wasteland definitely has that beat

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I'm not quite ready to watch rexshilla if that's what you mean. I recently watched inside star citizen for the first time (that one about revolutionary hand held mining where you fidelitiously pick up every bit from ground), and I'm still recovering :(

Jobbo_Fett posted:

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Agony Aunt posted:

The link Deathsmessenger gives does say its Elite, but you've got to laugh at what the actual award is based on.

"Braben mentioned plans to work on Elite IV at E3 1997. More than 17 years later the PC version of the game’s fourth instalment – Elite: Dangerous (Frontier Developments) – is set for a worldwide release in late 2014, with a Mac version due to follow some three months later."

So basically Braben said "I have plans to make Elite 4 one day" and that is what the award is based on.

Perhaps one day i'll go into space fulfilling my 40+ year plan of going into space that i declared i wanted to do as a child. I wonder if i'll get a Guiness record for the longest time spent getting into space.

And Deathsmessenger really is using that to try and show ED has been in development all those years. Crazy.

Maybe the award should be more along the lines of longest time from announcing intention to actual delivery.

So let's use the same logic for Star Citizen.

Chris was pushed off of Freelancer back when he wanted a Star Citizen. If we're basing records off of thoughts and ideas, how old is Freelancer again?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

rePool posted:

So let's use the same logic for Star Citizen.

Chris was pushed off of Freelancer back when he wanted a Star Citizen. If we're basing records off of thoughts and ideas, how old is Freelancer again?

It gets better. Someone up-thread posted a picture/quote from Chris Roberts in the mid 90s talking about his ideal future space game, while he himself was dressed in some weird rear end space suit and looking like Malcolm McDowell. Use that instead.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nicholas posted:

dnf: longest active development
elite: longest time between sequels? although wasteland definitely has that beat

Wouldn't Dwarf Fortress be close if not beating DNF for total dev time?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Spiderdrake posted:

I've never finished D3.

D2 worked by actually keeping the story rather sparse. Outside of very, VERY occasional CG cut-scenes and the battles themselves, you never see Diablo or the other prime evils. You just know you're chasing the wanderer, and at one point you see him ahead of you at the beginning of Act 3.

Remember fighting Duriel for the first time? You go into the chamber, not knowing what to expect, and there he is, you see him for the first time. He has one line, and you fight. That same sense of unknown is a hint of what made Dark Souls work.

Clearly it was all accidental though because the antagonists in D3 are basically Rita Repulsa from Power Rangers and can't stop loving monologuing at you. Blizzard's writing was never good, but it was at least serviceable for the settings they were created, and it was never the focus. It's now actively bad.

Bofast posted:

I would say D1 barely had a story and D2's story was simple enough for the kind of game it was. As I recall, the cutscenes between acts in D2 were made by regular Blizzard without Blizzard North even being involved.

That explains a lot. The game works better without the cutscenes. The sense of unknown, creeping horror of D1 and D2 is only hurt by them.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 25, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Armadillo Tank posted:

What happens if you hide your ship around a player landing site like port olisar and turn your field on? Will people have to fly 20 km to get to warp?

If you could hide or glitch into safety you could just leave the field on and walk away from your computer.

Yes and this already happens with the jammers or whatever it is the NPC's have. PO gets glitched into a state where you have to fly far away to warp all the time. Nobody comments on it because it's such a trivial bug compared to falling through the floor and breaking every bone in your body or failing a 1-hour mission at the last minute.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, even if the start of development on the latest Elite can somehow be counted from Mr Brabens first mention, it wasn't funded by selling fictional jpegs and empty promises to members of the public constantly over the course of it's dev time, it was funded by the success of previous Frontier dev games and actually released as a very playable game avaliable for professional games/software critic and player based reviews.

Basically, what I'm saying is, Elite wasn't a full on attention seeking money pit using "charitable donations in exchange for lofty promises" from the gullible and easily swindled public. (Yes I know Elite had a kickstarter, but the game is released, kickstarter peeps got their game and it ticked all the boxes it said it would imho)

For SC fan redditors and any shills reading who fail to grasp the responsibilities and burdens of failure;

Elite = Privately funded via either profits of previous products or companies own pocket = Take as long as you want, it's your project, no public money or goodwill at stake. The company carries the burden of loss in the event of failure.

SC = Funded from the public via promises and encouraging people to spend = You are open to critism by the public, it's the publics project, get a loving move on. The public carry the burden of loss in the event of failure.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 25, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Clearly you don't understand game development, as selling jpgs is a far greater achievement than creating the first great successor to rollercoaster tycoon in over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sabreseven posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, even if the start of development on the latest Elite can somehow be counted from Mr Brabens first mention, it wasn't funded by selling fictional jpegs and empty promises to members of the public constantly over the course of it's dev time, it was funded by the success of previous Frontier dev games and actually released as a very playable game avaliable for professional games/software critic and player based reviews.

Basically, what I'm saying is, Elite wasn't a full on attention seeking money pit using "charitable donations in exchange for lofty promises" from the gullible and easily swindled public.

For SC fan redditors and any shills reading who fail to grasp the responsibilities and burdens of failure;

Elite = Privately funded via either profits of previous products or companies own pocket = Take as long as you want, it's your project, no public money or goodwill at stake. The company carries the burden of loss in the event of failure.

SC = Funded from the public via promises and encouraging people to spend = You are open to critism by the public, it's the publics project, get a loving move on. The public carry the burden of loss in the event of failure.

The tiny problem (and non-issue for me, but you know people) with Elite is that it had a Kickstarter, during which David Braben enthusiastically talked about long-term goals. He didn't promise them, far from that, but some people took them as promises. And what's more, because people are stupid, these people took it as promises that should be in 1.0 of the game. And ever since 1.0 was delivered bare-bones (logically, with FDev's budget and manpower), they can't stop talking crap about Elite, which gives something to use to SC zealots.

Video in talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM0Gcl7iUM8

Comparable text from E:D's KS:
The initial release of Elite: Dangerous doesn't mark the end of development. We intend to continue expanding the game both with new content and new features. A good example of this is planetary landings. We have an ambitious goal for landings to include new gameplay and a rich variety of worlds to explore. To achieve our goal we want the planets to come to life. We also want to add leaving the ships so you can explore space stations or board enemy vessels or even just to look around your own.

You can find these craptalkers around - the most notable example is in Elite's KS comments (check it out, it's lots of fun) and one Reddit _refunds guy who recently surprised me with talking about Elite positively, so I won't name him (maybe he's turning around slowly with stuff added to base game).