Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

Waiting for a sweaty Nebakenezzer to bust in with an armload of airship statistics saying “I heard someone was talking aircraft fuel efficiency!” :haw:

Hey guys did you-

oh

well have I mentioned yet how only Airships can rock hydrogen fuel cells

I find this deeply confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Phanatic posted:

This is the same nonsense that has Germany burning a shitload of wood because wood is a "renewable" resource.

Yes, if you're planting forests that grow and turn into trees that you then cut down and burn that is technically approaching carbon neutrality (neglecting transport, etc). When you're taking forests that already existed and represent carbon sinks and turn them into pelletized wood and send them up the chimneys of the coal plants you keep around because you decided nuclear power was too dirty then you are not carbon neutral and you are loving things up worse despite burning a supposedly renewable fuel. Peat is as renewable as trees are, but excavating and burning peat bogs is drat sure not carbon-neutral.

https://www.dw.com/en/burning-wood-under-fire-are-forests-going-up-our-chimneys/a-41586050

And when you make energy expensive enough, hey, people start chopping down trees and burning them themselves:

https://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/tree-theft-on-the-rise-in-germany-as-heating-costs-increase-a-878013.html

Dude, trees that die and rot release nearly all of the sunk carbon back into the atmosphere. Doesn't matter if you planted them or they were there naturally.

You have some strange misunderstandings on carbon sinking, please stop posting about it already.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

EightBit posted:

Dude, trees that die and rot release nearly all of the sunk carbon back into the atmosphere. Doesn't matter if you planted them or they were there naturally.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/349024/BEAC_Report_290814.pdf

quote:

It is evident that the GHG intensity of electricity generated from North American roundwood and energy crops varies significantly, depending on the carbon stock of the land and the counterfactual. Some scenarios can have very low (even negative) GHG intensities, if they result in increased carbon stored on the land. However, other scenarios can result in GHG intensities greater than electricity from fossil fuels, even after 100 years. In all cases, the energy input required to produce the electricity from North American pellets is greater than electricity from fossil fuels and other renewables(except the most energy-intensive PV systems)and nuclear.

But it's renewable, and they have to produce 30% of their energy from renewables, so there you have it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

They fly them out of DEN too. Along with Key Lime and Alpine Air with some of the random poo poo they fly. We get a Key Lime J328 that loves to be in the wrong place all the time being all kinds of slow.

Isn’t the j328 is a 30 passenger plane? (That just makes it sadder)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

Someone flies a pilatus PC-12 from MSP to Thief River Falls. For work I interact with digikey a lot but they keep coming to the twin cities so I’ve not gotten a chance to try that yet. Seems like it’d be an experience.

Edit: Boutique air. They somehow use the main terminal 1 along with Delta and the other non low cost carriers and tie up a real legitimate gate with a PC-12. I saw one today parked between a 717 and a CRJ-700. Even though those are small airliners it looked like a toy.

That was my old company.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If we actually wanted to achieve net zero emissions it would be silly to re-engineer the entire aeroplane and airport infrastructure to run on bioavgas. Better to keep running it on dinosaurs and farm the equivalent amount of carbon out of the atmosphere.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sagebrush posted:

*battery-electric, I should say. We could build a DC-9 with a nuclear reactor powering a pair of electric propfans tomorrow if only the dang gubmint would allow it

Delta will take 50 +25 options

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

*battery-electric, I should say. We could build a DC-9 with a nuclear reactor powering a pair of electric propfans tomorrow if only the dang gubmint would allow it

Unfortunately Nuclear powered aircraft are a terrible idea, for pretty much every reason :(

Nuclear powered rigid airships though? You could use the hydrogen and alpha emissions to recharge your lifting gas! Mount the gondola on top and reactor on the bottom, radiation field intensity decreases with the square of distance, very little shielding would be required, making for a lighter reactor plant! There's no downside!*

*There may be some downsides

Also, any reasonable energy policy would attack ships and aircraft last, as they're the most difficult target, but thanks to "environmentalists" being window licking loving morons, nearly as bad as their lignite-worshiping counterparts we'll never have a reasonable energy policy in time and the world's gonna loving burn for it anyways, so why not fly some more while it's cheap?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hell yeah brother *spills a gallon of 100LL*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On that note, incidentally, I learned recently that the prepper nutjobs like to try to get their hands on avgas because it has no ethanol in it and thus keeps longer in their underground bunkers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Delta will take 50 +25 options

This reminded me, I vaguely recalled that part of the Boeing CSeries dumping complaint was that Delta had rejected Boeing’s pitch of E-195s and 717s. Delta rejecting an offer of a DC-9 variant would of course undermine many shitposts in this thread so I looked it up:

https://leehamnews.com/2017/05/23/delta-shoots-boeings-cseries-dumping-claim/

quote:

May testified that Boeing offered a combination of used aircraft, the Embraer E-190 and Boeing 717s. The 717s weren’t available on the timeline Delta wanted. Delta purchased the E-190s, only to decide afterwards to sell the aircraft itself.

Ah, Delta rejected the offer because Boeing couldn’t deliver the DC-9s fast enough!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

On that note, incidentally, I learned recently that the prepper nutjobs like to try to get their hands on avgas because it has no ethanol in it and thus keeps longer in their underground bunkers

You'd, uh, think it would be easier to just call up the local oil company and have them deliver fuel-oil. That stuff stays good for two years or so. Why go through all that trouble and not choose diesel motors?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

You'd, uh, think it would be easier to just call up the local oil company and have them deliver fuel-oil. That stuff stays good for two years or so. Why go through all that trouble and not choose diesel motors?

The fuel is probably meant to be powering a Ford Raptor and an assault chainsaw, as the prepping isn't for hiding in a bunker, but for a manchild's action movie fantasy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

For fucks sake, ethanol free premium is widely available, and fuel stabilizer is both cheap and effective at minimizing hygrophillia and separation. Honestly, after seeing fuel lines in NY and NJ after hurricane Sandy, keeping a few hundred gallons of fuel on hand doesn't seem that crazy.

I would not keep diesel though, if you get a bad batch it's subject to bacterial contamination, which forms a disgusting, thick, foul film on the diesel that instantly plugs any kind of filter. I've had to exchange tens of thousands of gallons of it, and the smell from the discharge tankers makes an outhouse on a 100 degree day seem pleasant.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah my friend lives on a place that frequently loses power so they just use the ethanol free gas you can get at the docks. Avgas will be really bad for almost anything made today.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Charles posted:

Yeah my friend lives on a place that frequently loses power so they just use the ethanol free gas you can get at the docks. Avgas will be really bad for almost anything made today.

Avgas is just really bad, and should be subject to a blanket ban. gently caress your 1962 Cessna 150.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

madeintaipei posted:

Preppers are, uh, not firing on all cylinders.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Elviscat posted:

Nuclear powered rigid airships though? You could use the hydrogen and alpha emissions to recharge your lifting gas! Mount the gondola on top and reactor on the bottom, radiation field intensity decreases with the square of distance, very little shielding would be required, making for a lighter reactor plant! There's no downside!*

I agree that transportation is the hardest to make carbon free, with aircraft (that aren't airships) the most difficult thing of all. I think a smart CC policy would attack the low hanging fruit first, then move up to more difficult problems, tacking transport (assuming ships with molten salt reactors isn't low hanging fruit) last.

Elviscat posted:

Makes my hydrogen fuel cells idea look pretty sensible, eh? Eh? :wiggle:

Knowing what a nightmare other nuclear powered aircraft are, I've only thought a little about this. I think that some sort of lower power reactor, like those (currently unbuilt) modular reactors people have been dreaming of could possibly be used to power an airship, but the weight of any sort of system like that would be huge compared to other options. That makes me think that the only way an airship like that could use nuclear is if it was stonk-ingly gigantic even by airship standards, so you could get your payload capability up to where the cost would make it useful.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

That makes me think that the only way an airship like that could use nuclear is if it was stonk-ingly gigantic even by airship standards, so you could get your payload capability up to where the cost would make it useful.

:ussr::hmmyes::ussr:

Also available in flying boat ship form:

No-one quite did aeronautical insanity like Soviet speculative fiction writers and propaganda artists.

Edit: I know that airship isn't actually that "stonkingly-gigantic". My school library had a 'history of transport' book published in the late 1970s and the final double-page spread was 'The Future' and confidently predicted that, in the post-Energy Crisis world that there would be nuclear-powered bulk carriers plying the oceans, nuclear-powered merchant submarines cruising under the ice caps and nuclear-powered cargo and cruiseliner airships in the skies. There was an artist's impression of a 'Soviet project scheduled for completion by 1990' with a huge trimaran airship where the central hull was something like 1200 feet long. That's what I was hoping to find in my image search, but no luck.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 25, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BalloonFish posted:

:

No-one quite did aeronautical insanity like Soviet speculative fiction writers and propaganda artists.

And Soviet actual writers and artists.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Elviscat posted:

For fucks sake, ethanol free premium is widely available, and fuel stabilizer is both cheap and effective at minimizing hygrophillia and separation.

This must be region specific, i live 40-50 miles from the nearest body of salt water and that's where the nearest E0 gasoline is. It sucks. I can buy 100LL a lot closer than that, but don't because I suspect it will gunk up valves and I want my kids to retain their brain function.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Now the real question is could you design an airship that also used ground effect.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Doctor Zaius posted:

Now the real question is could you design an airship that also used ground effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jENWKgMPY

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Knowing what a nightmare other nuclear powered aircraft are, I've only thought a little about this. I think that some sort of lower power reactor, like those (currently unbuilt) modular reactors people have been dreaming of could possibly be used to power an airship, but the weight of any sort of system like that would be huge compared to other options. That makes me think that the only way an airship like that could use nuclear is if it was stonk-ingly gigantic even by airship standards, so you could get your payload capability up to where the cost would make it useful.

We’re basically talking about things that the Ace Combat boss designers would reject as ludicrously oversized aircraft.

Hell yeah.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I agree that transportation is the hardest to make carbon free, with aircraft (that aren't airships) the most difficult thing of all. I think a smart CC policy would attack the low hanging fruit first, then move up to more difficult problems, tacking transport (assuming ships with molten salt reactors isn't low hanging fruit) last.

Makes my hydrogen fuel cells idea look pretty sensible, eh? Eh? :wiggle:

Yeah, you'd want to use a molten salt reactor so you don't need a massive pressure vessel, then polyethylene and water to attenuate neutrons, since they tend to make other things both very brittle and very radioactive, then use mostly distance and a little lead to get your gamma levels down to acceptable levels. Until your airship gets struck by lightning and you have a giant hydrogen fire that's also spewing burning radioactive salts over a populated area, then you might have something of an R101 moment.

You could certainly use one of the nuclear powered ram-jet designs to power a conventional fixed-wing aircraft, but they tend to have some small reliability and fallout issues.

Nuclear powered shipping is obviously feasible, the US Navy has a couple good size nuclear powered vessels, and Russia has the nuke ice breakers, and they'd actually be cheaper to fuel than current bulk carriers, maintenance costs for anything nuclear are ruinous unfortunately, you'd also have to adopt a far higher level of automation than the current regulatory bodies will allow, but realistically everyone who currently holds an engineer's license for big ships could be taught to run one without a crazy amount of extra training.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, you'd want to use a molten salt reactor so you don't need a massive pressure vessel, then polyethylene and water to attenuate neutrons, since they tend to make other things both very brittle and very radioactive, then use mostly distance and a little lead to get your gamma levels down to acceptable levels. Until your airship gets struck by lightning and you have a giant hydrogen fire that's also spewing burning radioactive salts over a populated area, then you might have something of an R101 moment.

You could certainly use one of the nuclear powered ram-jet designs to power a conventional fixed-wing aircraft, but they tend to have some small reliability and fallout issues.

Nuclear powered shipping is obviously feasible, the US Navy has a couple good size nuclear powered vessels, and Russia has the nuke ice breakers, and they'd actually be cheaper to fuel than current bulk carriers, maintenance costs for anything nuclear are ruinous unfortunately, you'd also have to adopt a far higher level of automation than the current regulatory bodies will allow, but realistically everyone who currently holds an engineer's license for big ships could be taught to run one without a crazy amount of extra training.

We had a nuclear powered cargo ship for a while, it just wasn't built to be an effective cargo vessel as much as a showpiece with passenger cabins. I imagine a modern container ship with a nuclear reactor would be cheaper than one running on bunker fuel if we charged a fair price for emissions. Those are filthy.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Put the power infrastructure on the ground and beam it up to the airship. How hard can it be (tm)?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

NightGyr posted:

We had a nuclear powered cargo ship for a while, it just wasn't built to be an effective cargo vessel as much as a showpiece with passenger cabins. I imagine a modern container ship with a nuclear reactor would be cheaper than one running on bunker fuel if we charged a fair price for emissions. Those are filthy.

On paper, but when you realize the port of convenience, never inspected, completely dodgy state in general of cargo vessels... you want to put a nuclear reactor in one? Then you have to crew it with a bunch of nuclear engineers, who don't work for peanuts.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A fusion-powered airship would produce its own Helium

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

FuturePastNow posted:

A fusion-powered airship would produce its own Helium

Any alpha-emitter too.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

:ussr::hmmyes::ussr:

Also available in flying boat ship form:

Edit: I know that airship isn't actually that "stonkingly-gigantic". My school library had a 'history of transport' book published in the late 1970s and the final double-page spread was 'The Future' and confidently predicted that, in the post-Energy Crisis world that there would be nuclear-powered bulk carriers plying the oceans, nuclear-powered merchant submarines cruising under the ice caps and nuclear-powered cargo and cruiseliner airships in the skies. There was an artist's impression of a 'Soviet project scheduled for completion by 1990' with a huge trimaran airship where the central hull was something like 1200 feet long. That's what I was hoping to find in my image search, but no luck.

Liquid metal coolant!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Elviscat posted:

For fucks sake, ethanol free premium is widely available

This varies greatly based on your location.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Godholio posted:

Variables include (a) distance to ocean and (b) conservative nature of locality.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

There are like 3 stations that offer ethanol free gas within 30 minutes of me. 2 of them are 87 only, the one that offers 91 is 15 or 20 minutes north of me in some town I'm never in.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Shell and Husky have 91 octane ethanol-free across Canada (except Husky in SK apparently)

Pretty convenient for my 20 year old bike

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
NTSB releases first recommendations in the wake of the MAX issues. Some are about what you'd expect, but interesting among them are about studying effect of warnings and indications on pilots across the entire industry, and how to best manage alert overload.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
NTSB just released the transcript of the east river helicopter crash that killed six.

From the report:

NTSB posted:

“Get Schwifty” – A reference to Season 2, Episode 5 of the television show Rick and Morty. The reference is to a song, “Get Schwifty.” The popculture website
UrbanDictionary.com defines "schwifty" as "The ultimate abandonment of inhibition while having a good time.”

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

NightGyr posted:

NTSB just released the transcript of the east river helicopter crash that killed six.

From the report:

Were they flying a helicopter drunk?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CarForumPoster posted:

Were they flying a helicopter drunk?

No, just riding in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
It was a pilot and six passengers who had paid for a "door open" flight to take pictures for social media. They were all strapped into harnesses meant to keep them from falling out without quick releases or knives to cut themselves loose. So when there was a water landing, only the pilot made it out.