Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Eopia posted:

I'm sure there's stuff on the other side of the giant tree to the left, but it seems to be immune to fire and if you shoot out holes in the side to stand on to recover your levitation, it spawns in like six acid floating eye guys to murder you once you get high enough. I got over once, found an ice field, and then got murdered.

How did you get over??? I use the polymorphine jump boost to do "stuff" .

Also the dark well below the tree: where does it go? (Collapsed mines, go left, arrive at stone border, there is a darkened path in the wall that has water pool in it, the pool has no apparent bottom and I drown)

Edit: also lore inside tree. That is separate and not what I am talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Eopia posted:

So I managed to get over the mountain on the east with a lucky terrain spawn of a floating island. Found an orb and this green tablet with lore on it that I got by slowly shooting open the bottom of a floating ice island from the peak of the mountain. Also bombed my way inside the temple and found three absurdly good wands at the top of it after I used a second bomb to open up the acid chamber they were all in and drain it out. Also there was a second orb on the top of the pyramid temple with another lore tablet next to it.

I'm sure there's stuff on the other side of the giant tree to the left, but it seems to be immune to fire and if you shoot out holes in the side to stand on to recover your levitation, it spawns in like six acid floating eye guys to murder you once you get high enough. I got over once, found an ice field, and then got murdered.

Got a lucky spawn of a wand with Always Casts: Matter Eater, and slowly dug my way all the way back to the surface, got past the tree, and after a long winter wasteland there is a super deep lake that I should have just passed by but decided I was going to swim down because I had breathless, under the lake is a lava lake, and my game crashed because of all the water and lava physics.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I read that as Always Cats: Matter Eater and it kind of checked out.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Vonnie posted:

Got a lucky spawn of a wand with Always Casts: Matter Eater, and slowly dug my way all the way back to the surface, got past the tree, and after a long winter wasteland there is a super deep lake that I should have just passed by but decided I was going to swim down because I had breathless, under the lake is a lava lake, and my game crashed because of all the water and lava physics.

I found a wickerman that you can set on fire on an island in the lake, and if you jump down the ravine in the frozen area you'll find a wooden bridge that you can then break to get to a zone called The Vault. It's filled with robots and gatling gun turrets, and various other enemies. I made the stupid mistake of actually using this earthquake wand I found there and got crushed to death though. (Found a wand that shot these black hole orbs that just outright erase -any- terrain they come in contact with. Even otherwise unbreakable terrain. The three guaranteed wands in the pyramid are absurd, the Blackhole wand had like 15 slots)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I picked up a trait that froze liquid near me. Then I picked up a wand that shot projectiles with acid trails in a hexagon. Upon firing it once, I was immediately encased in a frozen block of acid, which burnt to me to death from full health.

i feel like a lot of getting good at this game will involve understanding what spell configurations will instantly kill you on cast

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

abraxas posted:

I'm not 100% sure what this means but I hope it means that there IS some meta progression. I understand being kind of a rogue-like purist or whatever but while the game is a ton of fun to play and I don't regret buying it at all, the "no meta progression" (in my plays so far) has really kinda bummed me out. Makes me feel like the good run down to level 3 or whatever was completely meaningless. Even if it just let me keep some gold or let me spend the gold I earned for some one-time buff for the next run (that you can skip if you don't care about meta progression) or something like that. Even just randomized starting equipment or a choice out of three secondary wands or.. I dunno, ANYTHING but a weird complete restart of the game with a new seed. But hey, that's what EA is for so I'm not really worried.

To not just be a whiny baby about the game, I think the physics are absolutely insane. There's so much stuff that keeps blowing my mind. The liquid physics with oil swimming on water, the fire spreading. They even simulate the smoke! Stuff's real good, and it can only get better from here I hope!

Yeah there seemingly is I'm just not sure how it works yet. Like I'm not sure how I triggered it but now a chest spawns right next to where the game restarts with a random wand in it in addition to my starting kit

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

From reddit, there's a hidden config option that automatically saves a gif of your deaths! Pretty cool:

quote:

Pretty cool feature tucked away in the config file for the game, here's how you enable it:

You'll want to hit Windows+R or type "Run" into your start menu. Then copy/paste the following and hit enter:

%appdata%\..\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save_shared

Alternatively you can navigate to the following directory manually if you have hidden folders enabled in explorer:

C:\Users\(user)\AppData\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save_shared

Then you open config.xml in Notepad or any other text editor (I use Notepad++). Find the line that says replay_recorder_enabled="0" and change the 0 to a 1, [like so](https://i.imgur.com/2U3ppGq.png) and make sure to save the file. Start up the game and upon death you will have the same option as the video!

The death replays are stored here:

C:\Users\(user)\AppData\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save_rec\screenshots_animated

That's the same base folder as the config file is in, so keep that handy!

[Here's what the end result looks like from the video](https://imgur.com/6ER3qpt). Compressed by Imgur of course, the saved files look better but you get the idea.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So is there healing beyond the rare hearts? I thought drinking water or eating corpses might do it but that doesn't seem to have any effect beyond just draining whatever you need drained.

As someone said earlier, a single bad immolation or poisoning can take a third to half your health.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

So is there healing beyond the rare hearts? I thought drinking water or eating corpses might do it but that doesn't seem to have any effect beyond just draining whatever you need drained.

As someone said earlier, a single bad immolation or poisoning can take a third to half your health.

There's a health potion that hilariously, you can accidentally hurl off into a pit of fire. The smart way though is to pour that poo poo out on the ground and sit in it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Outside of certain perks, no. Catching on fire/getting covered in poison is maybe a little too devastating right now but the big protip is find any potion, pour it all out, and then fill up the empty bottle with water so you can rinse yourself off .

edit: oh cool ^^^ never seen a health potion!

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
I found a rejuvenation spell in a shop but it was too expensive at the time. I guess it would have been a way to heal.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

goferchan posted:

Outside of certain perks, no. Catching on fire/getting covered in poison is maybe a little too devastating right now but the big protip is find any potion, pour it all out, and then fill up the empty bottle with water so you can rinse yourself off .

edit: oh cool ^^^ never seen a health potion!

yeah it seems super rare, i've only found it the one time. "healthification potion" or something goofy like that

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

haunted bong posted:

yeah it seems super rare, i've only found it the one time. "healthification potion" or something goofy like that

Lol also I found a wand today with a ton of charges that heal whatever they hit, except the caster. I guess you could drop it near a humanoid enemy and hope they decide to pick it up and shoot you with it?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Culka posted:

I found a rejuvenation spell in a shop but it was too expensive at the time. I guess it would have been a way to heal.

i assume it was the restoration field. it comes with 2 casts and won't refill your entire health bar but it can be useful.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Game's good. Last night I made my way as far to the right as possible before hitting the impenetrable wall. I wasted my bombs trying to do trick shots in the pyramid, so I couldn't get further into it than the entrance. I then spent my time finding neat and inventive ways to die.

10/10 would piss off the gods again.

EDIT:
Has anyone confirmed if passive spell effects stack? For example, if I put a shitload of slime trails on a projectile, would it create more slime than using only one?

I basically want to turn the game into one big Jello wrestling ring.

OutOfPrint fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 25, 2019

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Pyramid enemies are hella beefy, I recommend getting something better than the starting wand before going there.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

grate deceiver posted:

Pyramid enemies are hella beefy, I recommend getting something better than the starting wand before going there.

is it even possible to get over the mountain without a teleport rod or something? am i just bad??

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you gotta go down into the mines and use bombs or other certain spells to dig up on the other side. it's sort of a crapshoot.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

You can also fly over there with a polymorphine potion

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Polymorphine is probably the most consistent way of getting over the entrance since potions are fairly common, Teleportium could possibly work too. Bombs work just fine, but since you need bombs to get into the pyramid too and they can sometimes decide to bug out, it makes them a little iffy.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
There are other ways to dig.

Someone combined dousing in berserkium juice with a chainsaw wand. Interesting.:science:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, but that requires even more RNG than other methods.

Little Ampton
Mar 19, 2010
So uh, the glass cannon perk makes bombs absolutely ridiculous. I was expecting a huge blast and still wasn't far enough away. :rip:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there's a projectile spell which casts the next spell slot in your wand at the end of its duration, which is the only way i've found so far to use spells like acid cloud without instantly killing yourself. has anybody else found other ways to make spells safer?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I shot a zombie with a buzzsaw spell so hard, it's meat got separated from the skeleton. Then I shot myself in the face with a buzzsaw.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

I shot a zombie with a buzzsaw spell so hard, it's meat got separated from the skeleton. Then I shot myself in the face with a buzzsaw.

I was going to wait till after early access for this but you're selling me on the game very well.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Do not confuse the buzzsaw spell with the chainsaw spell, those are in fact different spells.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I know this is Very Stupid given that the game already gives you wands that can do anything but I want that swank rear end shotgun that the enemies have, maybe make em like wands so you can add a buff to them too. Let me be a shotgun wizard.

Gimme that dynamite too.

The Velvet Witch fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 25, 2019

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I am the Booze Witch!

Game's very RNG-y but it's fun to see what stupid poo poo you can get away with.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Maybe add to the OP but here is a GDC video of one of the devs explaining how the tech works and the design challengers of making an actual fun game instead of just a simulation engine.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025695/Exploring-the-Tech-and-Design

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Pulcinella posted:

making an actual fun game instead of just a simulation engine.

This is something that a lot of devs overlook when chasing their "vision" or whatever

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's RNG heavy, but I only had one run last night that felt genuinely unfair, since I got all the way to the Ice Caves or whatever the third level is in the progression without finding any wands.

The RNG mostly dictates how hilariously chaotic the run gets. Chances are, by the second level, you're going to get an upgraded main weapon wand. It's just up to the RNG if it's a machine gun of bouncy balls or a want with a bunch of nukes in it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

first patch is up which apparently fixes the stats (I didn't encounter any of the other bugs)

quote:

Patch #1 notes (20190925):

UPDATE: Credits
UPDATE: Pressing ESCAPE, SPACE or RETURN in release notes, closes the menu
UPDATE: Two surprises to find in far corners of the world
UPDATE: A secret use for emerald tablets...

BUGFIX: Loading being stuck, there is a workaround now if you wait 30 seconds on the loading screen
BUGFIX: Pressing ESC while in the release notes, causes the game to lock into a black screen
BUGFIX: Stats not saving
BUGFIX: Mouse cursor is not visible when starting the game

Very nice game but I find dying a bit too easy. I'd like if there was more room for mayhem and experimentation rather then super safe cheesing through the level if you're in bad luck.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I highly recommend binding kick to spacebar. Otherwise you have to take your finger off D for a second and kicking stuff to the right is tougher.

Kicking stuff into enemies or dropping items on their heads does an insane amount of damage

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

OutOfPrint posted:

It's RNG heavy, but I only had one run last night that felt genuinely unfair, since I got all the way to the Ice Caves or whatever the third level is in the progression without finding any wands.

The RNG mostly dictates how hilariously chaotic the run gets. Chances are, by the second level, you're going to get an upgraded main weapon wand. It's just up to the RNG if it's a machine gun of bouncy balls or a want with a bunch of nukes in it.

The Ice Caves are a pretty huge jump in difficulty, with the turrets, swarms of flying enemies, and snipers. Unless you've got movement perks there's really no way you're going to be able to dodge everything. Especialy when you have a run like i did where there were over a dozen enemies on screen right after dropping in. :gibs:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Lol, I managed to go back to the surface from the ice level without digging through the temple. Too bad I died like an idiot before checking if I can enter the temple again.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it's a shame the ice caves are so far down because the ice physics are incredibly fun. you can crack pretty much any size chunk of ice with a few bolts, and that lets you rain death on enemies or block them from reaching you easily.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

haldolium posted:

Very nice game but I find dying a bit too easy. I'd like if there was more room for mayhem and experimentation rather then super safe cheesing through the level if you're in bad luck.

Yeah agreed with this. It would be fun to rain down acid or fire on people more, but the way dots work is just super punishing both in terms of health lost and since it makes you doubleback to wherever you last found water. I’d prefer if the most crazy destruction causing playstyle lined up a bit better with the best/most effective one.

Also, would definitely prefer if gold nuggets from enemies didn’t time out.

Still fun so far though, I’m excited to see where it ends up.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Okay so I got extremely high (I entered "The Work") then a regular enemy showed up, shot me, and now I am falling down to earth like a meteorite.

Vonnie fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All this needs is multiplayer and it can be the rear end in a top hat wizard successor to Liero I've always dreamed of.