Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Garage power chat: I find myself in possession of a 120V/30A circuit that used to run the inside unit for an HVAC system which was replaced with a Mitsubishi slim. What’s a good use of such an odd power feed in a suburban garage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can't see that house link but if the garage floor skeeves you out replace it with a flat floor lift and lower the cars into the basement to work on. May need to look into ventilation improvements also.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looks like 2x12 joists, which is definitely heavier than "normal." I'd have no worries with car stuff, though I'd probably put some cross bracing in the middle of each side.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm sure you saw it, but there is a good size puddle of water in that basement underneath the plumbing. Obviously see what that is. The wood might make it a little tough if you want to install a lift other than something like a floor mount scissor/quick jack type thing but nthing a PE/P.Eng to give you a report on it.
How deep is that garage?

You're going to need to budget for some yard equipment taking care of 5.5 acres.

I really like it. That kitchen is a time capsule out of the 70s and is serviceable as it is but holy poo poo but man, has a ton of potential with a reno.

Arishtat posted:

Garage power chat: I find myself in possession of a 120V/30A circuit that used to run the inside unit for an HVAC system which was replaced with a Mitsubishi slim. What’s a good use of such an odd power feed in a suburban garage?

I'm not sure I understand your question. You mean you have a 120V/30A auxiliary panel box? Maybe a 1.5HP 120V compressor?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

No yard equipment required. It's 5.5 acres of wooded. There are other houses higher on the list than this one. That wooden floor just skeeved me out. Particularly since it's going to be battered by salt water in the winter. Just trying to see if it's something I should trim from the list immediately.

There's a 5.1 acres with 2 car attached and 2 car detached garage under workshop area (under storage). Triple Decker out building. That's closer to the top.

E: not no yard equipment, but nothing major. The lawn area could be push mowed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ugh, mostly wooded? Even better. Very jealous. Don't be terribly scared of the wood floor unless you were dead set on a post hoist or something.

What is the utility service like on acreages there? Typically here we have municipal treated water but septic fields. An old septic can be a bit of a problem if its in rough shape so if you're not qualified yourself make sure that's been looked at.

Decent ISP options?

Not sure if its a trick of the lighting/jpeg artifacts but the shingles on the house side in particular might look a little rough? Do houses there not have eavestroughs/downspouts? :confused:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

slidebite posted:

Ugh, mostly wooded? Even better. Very jealous. Don't be terribly scared of the wood floor unless you were dead set on a post hoist or something.

What is the utility service like on acreages there? Typically here we have municipal treated water but septic fields. An old septic can be a bit of a problem if its in rough shape so if you're not qualified yourself make sure that's been looked at.

Decent ISP options?

Not sure if its a trick of the lighting/jpeg artifacts but the shingles on the house side in particular might look a little rough? Do houses there not have eavestroughs/downspouts? :confused:

The house I liked is in a rural town that was entirely wired with fiber on a government grant. The flip side is there is no public anything and you still have to sort your recycling to bring it to the transfer station. There's an open house tomorrow that I'm going to go check out. I need to schedule a showing of the 4 car with 5.1 acres. That's in another town (the one I sold earlier this year in) that has Comcast (which at the very least has decent quality there) and still public nothing. That one is semi wooded, abuts a river, and the house/garage are in flood zone X (while most of the property is in the 500 year zone).

E: Both of these are at the top end of the budget. There are cheaper options with less land and less interesting that are still nice. 2.5 car garages, 1+4 with a lift, small 2 car but very cheap, etc.

carticket fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 17, 2019

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Arishtat posted:

Put a piece of red electrical tape on either end of the neutral, wire your new hots to a 240v breaker and enjoy your new 30A 240V circuit.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sheds are done.

Not sure exactly what I'm doing next, which is a good thing cause that definitely killed my OT money from the past year. That window is a framed out space that was used as an office that I intend to remodel into an apartment with an indoor/outdoor kitchen. In no particular order, to do this I need to:

-get septic redone, it's an ancient cinder block tank with unknown leech field capacity. Also the lid is homemade and a single slab @ 7'x3'. In the words of my septic guy "I've been doing this for 30 years and I've never seen that before" as he's taking pictures to show the other guys back at the shop. Quoted me a decent price to make it right though.
-cut that window into a door. Also possibly add another window on the other wall where the kitchen(ette) will be.
-figure out how I want to add a small shower to the bathroom, and cut the slab to redo the drain lines to accommodate.
-probably remove the old r13 fiberglass and get spray foam after plumbing/electrical edits are complete. I want the apartment to be completely cut off from the shop area with it's fumes, etc. The interior doors from the shop to the office area will at a minimum have to swap to exterior doors but probably I'll just remove them and leave the single new exterior door.
-everything else :homebrew:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Checked out the wood garage. Not interested. I will say the sense of scale for the basement under it is off, because the bottom of the joists are below 6' of clearance, which makes that part of the basement useless for me. Saw another house that has a 2.5 car garage, giant great room above it, and a 220v charging port in the garage. Gotta see what price is affordable, though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

the bottom of the joists are below 6' of clearance

Oofff...hard no. That's just an annoying space to be in. It's worse than having a crawl space because you WILL end up using it for something or other and walking around with your head tilted to the side the entire time you're down there. My old place was like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My buddy just put an offer in on this place, I am super envious of the garage. Two bay up front and a single bay put back that walks right into the finished basement.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14618-W-Washington-Center-Rd-Fort-Wayne-IN-46818/73201167_zpid/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

My garage has a sloped roof like this. If I wanted to build some kind of pulley to hold up my Yakima cargo box, is there a guide to do it? Also would the rails be strong enough to drill into, like how the yellow hooks are?

Sidenote: I'm working on getting an electrician to clean up this rinky dink mess up there, but it's hard to get one to come out in Seattle.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If your car roof rails will hold the box full of stuff, a garage roof stud will hold it empty no problem. I'd think you wouldn't even need a compound pulley, just a rope through a single wheel that you wrap around a cleat to tie it off. Some thin loop lifting straps to lift it and you're good.

Walk the rope and pulley aisle at home depot and see what's up. Also youtube.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 17, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Harbor Freight has lots of cheapo ways to get things off the ground in a garage -

https://www.harborfreight.com/gambrel-and-pulley-hoist-99758.html

I had one of their 440 lb. hoists that, combined with a leveler, I used years ago to get my kiddo's Power Wheels off the ground when I still had delusions of parking 2 cars in a 2 car garage:

For a cargo box or a Jeep/Bronco roof etc. the electric winch would have been amazing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The dog’s face really makes it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Finally came to an agreement on a house. The garage is classified at 2.5 car, and according to Google maps measurements, it's about 32x30, attached/under. The space above it is all finished into one giant room, which is cool. Once I own the place and settle in, I want to have someone look at moving the garage wall so I can extend one of the bays into the basement under the rest of the house. I am excited.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
How high do ceilings need to be for a 2 post lift (with a car on top)? 12 feet? The numbers I have in my head are 12' ceilings and a 6" thick slab.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Depends on the exact lift. There are some Bendpak lifts that are lower, like 118" and lift 64".

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Direct lift has a calculator that should give you an idea - http://www.directlift.com/ceilingCalc.aspx

Mostly depends on how high your cars are, with two of mine I only needed 9.5 ft.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i now have 9 costco LED shop lights in my two car garage and it OWNS

the current version is even better than the original model and they are 20 bucks each this month

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

i now have 9 costco LED shop lights in my two car garage and it OWNS

the current version is even better than the original model and they are 20 bucks each this month

Oh poo poo, I should go get some.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have five of the originals in my garage now. The only place I would want more is where the garage door would block them when open, though.

It's loving awesome and it'll be one of the first things I do to a new garage if I ever move.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have 3 old rear end tube fixtures out there, I only hung them up because I still had new tubes but I could convince myself to replace them for $20 a piece.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
This place popped up for rent across from the gym I use, and it's all I've been able to think about. 1,800sf of shop space + 750sf of heated/cooled living space, with a shitter.

$700/mo + utilities. I'd seriously consider moving in and selling my drat house, only drawback would be my dogs losing their grassy yard. :(

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

NoWake posted:

This place popped up for rent across from the gym I use, and it's all I've been able to think about. 1,800sf of shop space + 750sf of heated/cooled living space, with a shitter.

$700/mo + utilities. I'd seriously consider moving in and selling my drat house, only drawback would be my dogs losing their grassy yard. :(

Oh man that is incredible

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Oh man that is incredible

I think it ranks a nice round zero on wife approval factor, but... agreed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think it ranks a nice round zero on wife approval factor, but... agreed.

Heh. Great for bachelors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NoWake posted:

drat, that's huge for the price.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

GIVE ME IT.

You could split that 2 or 3 ways with some buddies and have an amazing situation for the money.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 25, 2019

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's a rad space.

One of the things hindering my progress on my project is I can't make a lot of noise because my kid's bedroom is above the garage. Anyone have tips to help knock down the sound? I have plenty of vertical space to play with since it's 13' tall.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Wrar posted:

That's a rad space.

One of the things hindering my progress on my project is I can't make a lot of noise because my kid's bedroom is above the garage. Anyone have tips to help knock down the sound? I have plenty of vertical space to play with since it's 13' tall.

Put in a lower ceiling a foot or two below the current one, fill the space between the two with blow-in insulation or something similar that's light and airy and won't settle. Gluing some acoustic foam (as thick as you can) to the current ceiling would help as well. Basically, you're trying to eliminate hard, direct paths for the sound to take.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

With sound you either absorb it (foam, fluff), block it (mass), or bounce it. (hard surfaces, angles)

Also make sure your kid is a light sleeper. I walked on eggshells around my daughter, watching movies with headphones and poo poo like that for about 8 years before learning that she can sleep through anything, including a hard as hell thunderstorm right above our house.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Wrar posted:

That's a rad space.

What was already said but also stick a sound machine in their room. I've got a mechanical one (I can dig up a link later) that is great for sleep/nap time for the little one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Looking for a way to easily get my formula ford (900-1000lb) on and off the rolling work table. Used my engine lift last time but the legs are high enough it doesn't fit under the car or the table, it was a mess and a pain in the rear end. I have a 1 ton chain hoist I'd like to hang from my garage ceiling if it can be done safely. Garage is basement with kitchen over it, standard 2x4 floor joists.

My idea was span several 5+ joists to spread the load then hang the hoist from that. I may use multiple sections of 2x4 to span even more then use a long 3333lb rated strap to span them and hang the hoist from that. Looking for ideas to not pull the kitchen down on top of me.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looking for a way to easily get my formula ford (900-1000lb) on and off the rolling work table. Used my engine lift last time but the legs are high enough it doesn't fit under the car or the table, it was a mess and a pain in the rear end. I have a 1 ton chain hoist I'd like to hang from my garage ceiling if it can be done safely. Garage is basement with kitchen over it, standard 2x4 floor joists.

My idea was span several 5+ joists to spread the load then hang the hoist from that. I may use multiple sections of 2x4 to span even more then use a long 3333lb rated strap to span them and hang the hoist from that. Looking for ideas to not pull the kitchen down on top of me.

You could buy or build a mobile gantry hoist. Then you could use it at the track as well. This one looks pretty awesome. http://www.mktechnologies.com/products/mkt/mkt_a-frame.htm Harbor Freight also makes one but it's huge and heavy at over 600lbs.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What are the good options for garages too low for a lift? I've seen those jack-like things that go under the sides of the car, but I don't know what they're called.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

What are the good options for garages too low for a lift? I've seen those jack-like things that go under the sides of the car, but I don't know what they're called.

The two most popular options I'm aware of are the Bendpak QuickJacks, which just need any flat surface, and the Danmar MaxJax, which have to be installed but are basically a tiny two post lift.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mr. Powers posted:

I have the Quickjack system. Very good for what it is, and a huge benefit is that you can use them anywhere where there is level ground. Even grass or gravel if you put some thick plywood under them. The only real negative is that they are heavy to carry, which only sucks when you are tired from working on the car and want to pack everything away. This weight is made worse by the fact that they don't have very good places to grab when carrying them. These are small gripes though, as they make lifting the car much better and faster. The biggest pro in my experience is the fact that the jacking point and jack stand point is the same. Seems like it's getting more and more uncommon to have jacking spots with enough distance from each other to fit both the jack and the jack stand in factory recommended spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

How low is to low? There are really short lifts. I can't stand up under my car but with a stool on wheels it's still better than stands.

Otherwise yeah it's quick jacks. Costco has or had them on sale recently.