Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DontMockMySmock posted:

I've never watched Friends; what's wrong with it?

It's not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, but the break thing was bullshit.

It's seriously the one thing Ross is right about in the entire series. Well, that and the time he and his son tricked Rachel into thinking he feel to his death.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Carol and Susan were criminally underused but almost all their appearances were dunking on Ross, they deserved more screen time

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DontMockMySmock posted:

I've never watched Friends; what's wrong with it?

It had several badly integrated animal mascot characters, including a monkey and a duck.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There’s a lot of gay panic humor, especially in regards to chandler

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Some of the gay jokes on Whose line haven't aged exceptionally well, but they also basically never did gay panic jokes. If another man tried to kiss you on Whose line you let him, and you joined in enthusiastically, dammit.

Not entirely surprising. Tony Slattery has been openly gay since the height of the AIDS panic in the 1980s.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Friends greatest crime is being intensely, painfully unfunny. I like Kudrow and Aniston a lot in other things but Friends is a void from which no laughter escapes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Actually the worst thing is that it reminds me I have no friends

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

oldpainless posted:

Actually the worst thing is that it reminds me I have no friends

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's not funny.

:emptyquote:

I once tried watching an episode and it was so hackneyed I couldn't last over five minutes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It is tolerable from like season 2-4

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Does friends have a laugh track?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Volcott posted:

Yeah. Another reason it's insufferable

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Volcott posted:

It sure as gently caress does.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Volcott posted:

No

https://youtu.be/4BFSZ8XzWOM

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I love these.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Somewhere at WB there is a whiteboard with the words "FRIEND$ REVIVAL PLAN$" on it.

Detective No. 27 has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Sep 25, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
F*R*I*E*N*D*S is probably popular with Gen Z because it depicts people living in gigantic, gorgeous apartments in the beating heart of New York with simple, low demand jobs that give them tons of free time and who have absolutely no issues building social relationships and having fulfilling lives.
The only way to make it more fantasy is to involve like, orcs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

F*R*I*E*N*D*S is probably popular with Gen Z because it depicts people living in gigantic, gorgeous apartments in the beating heart of New York with simple, low demand jobs that give them tons of free time and who have absolutely no issues building social relationships and having fulfilling lives.

:hmmorks:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone should edit in orcs into episodes now.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Related to that friends being an almost ideallic life now:
American Beauty is almost a comedy now in some ways; You have a stable job, a big house, can feed your kid and have luxeries. What exactly is the conflict again?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Someone should edit in orcs into episodes now.

I feel like orcs would be less jarring for friends fans than if you edited in a realistic amount of people of color

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zedd posted:

American Beauty is almost a comedy now in some ways; You have a stable job, a big house, can feed your kid and have luxeries. What exactly is the conflict again?

Extremely repressed desperation coming to the surface for all the characters involved at once? The movie hasn’t aged well in a lot of ways but people self destructing their supposedly perfect lives because of unresolved interpersonal issues is pretty common in any era

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

AceOfFlames posted:

I once tried watching an episode and it was so hackneyed I couldn't last over five minutes.

Same here. There are no likable characters.

I felt the same about Seinfeld. I never cared for Seinfeld's standup work. Richards was fine as a one-note character on Fridays. Dreyfuss was funny enough on SNL, but not here. I find Alexander to be 100% intolerable on anything.

I have been told that the characters on Seinfeld being unlikable is why I should like them. I can handle one, maybe two unlikable characters on a show with enough good ones, but not the reverse.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I concur. It’s why IASIP is unwatchable.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Zedd posted:

if we were talking about married with children sure, poverty was a big wedge there despite the mid-1980s bundys seeming middle class 35 years later, but the conflict in american beauty explicitly comes from the personalities of all the characters, the dyfunctionality of the family and everyone's repressed self-loathing being projected at one another, they made a point of establishing that spacey was set for cash and didn't have to worry about money for a few years and he takes advantage of the situation to act out his manchild fantasies

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Mister Kingdom posted:

Same here. There are no likable characters.

I felt the same about Seinfeld. I never cared for Seinfeld's standup work. Richards was fine as a one-note character on Fridays. Dreyfuss was funny enough on SNL, but not here. I find Alexander to be 100% intolerable on anything.

I have been told that the characters on Seinfeld being unlikable is why I should like them. I can handle one, maybe two unlikable characters on a show with enough good ones, but not the reverse.
It's hard to care about the characters in Seinfeld, but the fun comes from watching them get what's coming to them. You know their hubris/ego/selfishness is going to gently caress a good thing up, the only question is how.

Some shows with unlikable characters work better than others. Everyone on Silicon Valley is terrible in their own way, but you still root for them because they have redeeming qualities. (Well, up until Season 5 when Richard is just 100% a dick.)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hyperhazard posted:

Some shows with unlikable characters work better than others. Everyone on Silicon Valley is terrible in their own way, but you still root for them because they have redeeming qualities. (Well, up until Season 5 when Richard is just 100% a dick.)

Monica did nothing wrong how dare you.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
friends is alright. it has some Representation problems and imo the first few seasons are the worst because they havent grown into the characters yet and they're trying to do stupid wacky stuff like the monkey. but otherwise its perfectly fine for a sitcom and the trend of making GBS threads on it for being unfunny/Problematic while upholding seinfeld or IASIP or some other poo poo just seems like backlash to popularity, that's my hot take

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

hyperhazard posted:

It's hard to care about the characters in Seinfeld, but the fun comes from watching them get what's coming to them. You know their hubris/ego/selfishness is going to gently caress a good thing up, the only question is how.

Maybe, but I don't want to slog through 22 minutes every week just to see that.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hyperhazard posted:

The characters in seinfeld are also way more self aware than the friends, and the plots got super convoluted and rube goldbergian. Half the fun was seeing how their various independent schemes would crash into each other by the end.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm not claiming a win until the entire Duggar family conclusively perishes in a gigantic loving explosion

Seems apropros since giant explosions is how they came into this world in the first place

Calaveron posted:

Shotuout to John Rogers

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

hyperhazard posted:

:agreed:

Watching unlikeable characters succeed is uncomfortable but watching them fail is hilarious.

(And also uncomfortable, granted. I have a hard time binging Seinfeld/Always Sunny/Curb Your Enthusiasm. In small doses it's great, though.)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Seinfeld got a reputation for being a show with characters who live in the "real" world and tell it how it is but they are explicitly bad people who give into their darker instincts and constantly get poo poo on for it.

The show also doesn't trot out a will they/won't they plotline, which still makes it pretty unique.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Toshimo posted:

Monica did nothing wrong how dare you.

No one ever died from secondhand heroin :colbert:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The cast of Friends is only marginally less monstrous than the early seasons of it's always sunny, but for some reason your supposed to root for them to succeed rather than laugh when they fail. Like Ross is Dennis doing a better job of hiding he's a psychopath sex pest.

American Beauty didn't not age well it was always a steaming pile of poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Seinfeld, four!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Maybe, but I don't want to slog through 22 minutes every week just to see that.
There's a reason that most sitcoms don't use that formula. It's just not for everyone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Friends is popular because it’s a funny well written show. Ross sucked, but everyone hating Ross was part of the fun. Goons are so weird.

Seinfeld though. That show was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm placing you under citizens arrest for that post.