Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Untrustable posted:

One Cut of The Dead is amazing. Just go in blind. I ended up pausing it at the (first) credit scroll to ask the thread what was so good about it. It is the feel-good hit of the summer. Seriously great movie.

I got it queued up, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gripweed posted:

Don't most revenge movies at the very least gesture towards the idea that revenge is bad?

I think if you tally up all the various adaptations of The Count of Monte Cristo, you'd end up with a whole lot more movies that glorify revenge (or at least completely defang the ending) than the other way around.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Are there any movies that pit a family invader against an evil genius kid? Basically, The Stepfather vs. The Good Son?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think if you tally up all the various adaptations of The Count of Monte Cristo, you'd end up with a whole lot more movies that glorify revenge (or at least completely defang the ending) than the other way around.

If I tallied up all the various adaptations of The Count of Monte Cristo I'd probably get stuck on the anime that made him a 7 foot tall blue elf

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

If I tallied up all the various adaptations of The Count of Monte Cristo I'd probably get stuck on the anime that made him a 7 foot tall blue elf

Weirdly? One of the better versions

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was pretty cold on these event screenings of stuff ...but getting hype for 3 From Hell and The Shining taught me that many acquaintances were actually horror friends waiting for a chance to come out.

:gbsmith:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Doctor Sleep doesn't come out until November. Dang. I one day want to do an all Stephen King challenge for October. I tried a few years ago but work hosed it all up.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
One cut is so good, and I’m so glad I didn’t know anything going in.

I love midsommar and it’s probably my movie of the year, but let’s not kid ourselves and say Cage’s wicket man isn’t a goofy blast.

And speaking of folk horror, I’m reading harvest home right now and apparently it had a TV movie back when. Anyone see it?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yes, but they usually have their cake and eat it too. Like it technically arrives at that point, but after you saw some rad murders. The Nightingale has one moment of a character getting revenge, and it is not enjoyable.

It's also just not what the movie is about. It's not a story about someone realizing that revenge has made them a monster or anything trite like that.

Have you seen The Witchfinder General?

Edit: I didn’t invent the definition of ‘rape revenge’, it’s an established sub-genre of film. And yes, there are many of them that do not glorify revenge and show it as an empty gesture, and The Nightingale is very much a modern entry into the genre.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 26, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ambitious Spider posted:

One cut is so good, and I’m so glad I didn’t know anything going in.

I love midsommar and it’s probably my movie of the year, but let’s not kid ourselves and say Cage’s wicket man isn’t a goofy blast.

And speaking of folk horror, I’m reading harvest home right now and apparently it had a TV movie back when. Anyone see it?

I have. For the era, it wasn't bad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Timeless Appeal, just to share my logic on why I'd allow someone to watch The Nightingale for the October Challenge:

The major intention of the challenge is to celebrate the horror genre in all it's diversity, which includes thrillers and also Halloween movies. The other intention is to get people to watch things that are new to thing or are doing interesting things with various genres. The Nightingale is listed as a thriller on Letterboxd and imdb, and it's on "best horror" and "best thriller" lists of 2019 already.

The Vincent Price film The Witchfinder General is on several "official" Greatest Horror Films of All Time lists. The Nightingale shares a lot of DNA with The Witchfinder General, whether it's direct influence or not.

The fact that I consider it a rape revenge film is, I guess, irrelevant. However, I think your definition is limiting. Ms. 45 is a rape revenge film that shows that revenge is pointless and violent. So does Last House on the Left. I listed two, but if you look up lists of 'rape revenge films', it's arguably a major aspect of the genre. Not always, but often.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to be reductive. I think it's one of the best movies of the year and I was giving people an incentive to watch it and a platform to discuss it by letting it be considered for the challenge.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Local theatre is playing Silence of the Lambs next month, hell yeah. And on a night I’m not working too

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Retro Futurist posted:

Local theatre is playing Silence of the Lambs next month, hell yeah. And on a night I’m not working too

Scott Glenn owns. Like I feel like we as a society don’t adequately reflect on how awesome Scott Glenn is.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Nightingale is a horror film. it's not just a horror film but it's definitely got enough horrific stuff happening to fall into horror

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

alf_pogs posted:

The Nightingale is a horror film. it's not just a horror film but it's definitely got enough horrific stuff happening to fall into horror

Where can I WATCH ITTTT I want to see it so badly.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

moths posted:

I was pretty cold on these event screenings of stuff ...but getting hype for 3 From Hell and The Shining taught me that many acquaintances were actually horror friends waiting for a chance to come out.

:gbsmith:

I got a good friend of mine to come with me to the "3 From Hell" screening without him having seen any other Rob Zombie movie, and he really liked it. And he doesn't like typical horror movies, because he doesn't like jump scares. Because of that HE invited ME to a 4K screening of "The Shining" tomorrow night, and it made me smile. We don't normally get these cool kinds of theatrical experiences this close together, but when the content is good it totally brings people together. And for the record, I'm one of the biggest fans of "The Devil's Rejects" you'll ever meet, and while I have some issues with "3 From Hell" I still loved the hell out of it.

Ambitious Spider posted:

No. There was no redeeming anything in the Nic Cage version, it was a lazy re-imagining of a much better film that added bees for some reason. I love Nic Cage (occasionally), but gently caress that movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

by this logic Schindlers list is a horror movie

inb4 the Chud who tries to convince me it is a horror movie

say it with me horror thread one more time
HORRIFYING CONTENT =/= HORROR MOVIE

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

The major intention of the challenge is to celebrate the horror genre in all it's diversity, which includes thrillers and also Halloween movies. The other intention is to get people to watch things that are new to thing or are doing interesting things with various genres. The Nightingale is listed as a thriller on Letterboxd and imdb, and it's on "best horror" and "best thriller" lists of 2019 already.

Hey Fran, out of Blue Velvet, Fire Walk with Me, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive, would you stamp any of those as not qualifying for the October thread? Wanna introduce a friend to more Lynch, might postpone until November if they don't fit.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Not disputing the horror content but Fire Walk With Me is a lot to spring on somebody.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Darthemed posted:

Are there any movies that pit a family invader against an evil genius kid? Basically, The Stepfather vs. The Good Son?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Darthemed posted:

Home Alone

e: I misunderstood the question, but in that case, even moreso what the guy above me is implying

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Home Alone

e: I misunderstood the question, but in that case, even moreso what the guy above me is implying

I was going to post a snarky home alone answer myself at first, but then I caught it was "family" invader and not home invader. Fortunately I had a dumbass post ready for that option as well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Hey Fran, out of Blue Velvet, Fire Walk with Me, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive, would you stamp any of those as not qualifying for the October thread? Wanna introduce a friend to more Lynch, might postpone until November if they don't fit.

Those all work for me, and have been used for the challenge before.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Not disputing the horror content but Fire Walk With Me is a lot to spring on somebody.

LMAO at the poser itt not making someone they just met watch all 3 hours of Inland Empire

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Darthemed posted:

I don't know if the kids qualify as evil geniuses, but you could try Let's Kill Uncle. I haven't seen it yet, but I read the novel it's based on not too long ago and that had a mean little twist at the end that really satisfied. The movie version was directed by William Castle.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for but I think you'll like Better Watch Out

Just watch it cold and give it time to develop it's totally worth it

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I almost bought Inland Empire like thirteen years ago after liking Mulholland dr then forgot about it.

Hmm... Might need to throw that in the pile. (I did see the rabbit sitcom scene)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Finally got around to watching One Cut of the Dead. Yeah, movie owns. Lots of laughs lmao, what a concept.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Finally saw Midsommar and I desperately need to find someone to go for Halloween with me as May Queen and Stuffed Bear.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Lost Highway is definitely a horror film. Inland Empire too.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Darthemed posted:

There is a movie called The Aggression Scale which is was pretty much made to be a home alone-like movie, but played real. I liked it, and it has Ray Wise (in pretty much a cameo) and Dana Ashbrook, so for all the Twin Peaks talk, that kinda fits.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

weekly font posted:

Finally saw Midsommar and I desperately need to find someone to go for Halloween with me as May Queen and Stuffed Bear.
A few friends and I are going as Harga girls, and we're hoping to rope in more people so we can get a good-sized cult going. It's a fairly cheap, easily thriftable costume. For anyone interested in going that route, that lady who took those vegetable baby photos in the 90s, Anne Geddes, had a line of dolls dressed as bears. I found one with blue eyes and a punchable smirk that I'm going to wander around threatening with matches.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

not even gonna argue with ya there i agree

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

T3hRen3gade posted:

I really want to see Midsommar now. I love the original Wicker Man, and if it's channeling that kind of vibe minus the weird naked musical bits I'm guessing, but then again maybe not lol

You'd think that, but...

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Origami Dali posted:

Laura Dern's face haunts my dreams.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

feedmyleg posted:

Okay, inspired by Death Spa:

Maybe my favorite horror scene is the "let's go to a paranormal expert" scene. What are the best ones? Dick Miller and the occult bookstore in The Howling is what springs to mind for me. That or the entire second half of Fright Night.

the possession is a mostly forgotten multiplex schedule-filler from 2012 but making the monster a dybbuk and matisyahu the rabbi expert called in to consult gave it a certain flair that made it enjoyable for me

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
One Cut of the Dead was awesome. I kind of was hoping it would go full zombie-ception in part two, but the feel good ending was great too. I want a gif of POM!!

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
Maybe my eyes gone bad or something, but I don't see the new all October horror movie marathon thread.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hot Dog Day #89 posted:

Maybe my eyes gone bad or something, but I don't see the new all October horror movie marathon thread.

That's because it's being posted tomorrow, Friday the 27th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
Whew, was worried it wouldn't show up.