Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Code Vein is out now on PC, PS4, and Bone, and this is a thread where you can post about it.

Here is some kind of cosplay energy drink commercial for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxFuRdeRrpc

The world as we know it is gone. At the center of the destruction lies a hidden society of Revenants called Vein. Those who remain fight for survival by acquiring Gifts of power in exchange for their memories, and an ever-increasing thirst for blood. Give into the bloodlust fully and risk becoming one of the Lost; fiendish ghouls devoid of any remaining humanity who wander aimlessly in search of blood. Team up and embark on a journey to the ends of hell to unlock your past and escape your living nightmare in CODE VEIN.
-A story driven connected dungeon experience.
-Team up with a cast of AI characters, each with a unique plot and fighting style.
-Take on quests with your friends in online co-op
-Customize your character, from appearance to playstyle, to fit the way you want to play.
-Choose from dozens of unique “Gifts” that can increase your strength, weaken enemies, or cast powerful attacks.
-Become a master of combat: dodge, parry, and unleash combo attacks your foes.
-Take on challenging bosses with a myriad of combat options.
-Switch your build at any time. Choose from numerous Blood Codes and expand your techniques.
-Challenging gameplay that will test your abilities as you face hordes of the Lost.

Big Mood

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
CantaPerMe seems to like it so far

https://twitter.com/MH_Canta/status/1176016621363716096

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Here's some character creator stuff people have done in the demo. Linking through these takes you to the sources. They're reddit/twitter so exercise caution.

https://twitter.com/shieldpaisen/status/1172928523524345857

https://twitter.com/TheRottenPanda/status/1174133071504801792

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I really, really want to see reviews of this game to know if the gameplay is any good. It doesn't have to exactly be Dark Souls, but, if the combat and level design is decent I've been looking for the next Souls-like.

Game has been trending as a top seller on Steam for many days now.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This game has been delayed so often there's no way it can be good, but the character creation is so good.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I had a pretty good time with the demo but really, a delayed game can eventually be good, a rushed game is bad forever.

I'm probably going to give it a shot.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm absolutely going to try it, but generally delayed games don't have a great track record.

Delays generally mean there's issues with direction and management after all.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm absolutely going to try it, but generally delayed games don't have a great track record.

witcher 3 was delayed multiple times

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

pmchem posted:

witcher 3 was delayed multiple times

Case in point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd like to see what more areas are like than the one in the demo. The game seems fun and I am for some reason kind of invested in the story they've set up, but the demo area is very much boring grey tunnels. If they've got some cool locales to explore I'll definitely give it a chance.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Regy Rusty posted:

I'd like to see what more areas are like than the one in the demo. The game seems fun and I am for some reason kind of invested in the story they've set up, but the demo area is very much boring grey tunnels. If they've got some cool locales to explore I'll definitely give it a chance.

They've shown some screenshots of other locales so at least they exist even if we don't know how well each one is designed. Here's a desert, ice, and uh...Anor...Londo....

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That looks cool

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
game DOA?

haven't seen any hype or discussion about it anywhere

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

General Morden posted:

game DOA?

haven't seen any hype or discussion about it anywhere

It’s not out until Friday.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Also review embargo until...Thursday? Game has been on steam top sellers list for over a week.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Pre-load is available on Steam now.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm not expecting DS levels of gameplay, but if it can atleast beat god eater's combat and have a pretty good story I'll bite.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dark Souls was done by Bandai Namco right?

I'm expecting an extremely anime dark souls, and that's what I'll be happy with. I just love this style of RPG.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Dark Souls was developed by FromSoft. Code Vein is developed and published by Bandai Namco.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Namco has published some of From's games but there's a reason people talk about them as Fromsoft games and not Namco games. Whether they can pull it off too remains to be seen.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well we'll know tomorrow at 10AM I guess.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I just tried the demo and I can't tell if this game is going to be good or not, but I really want it to be good. Probably going to pick it up over the weekend unless some really glaring issues get reported on.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I'll make waifus I guess

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
any idea if the PC port is good yet

especially if M + KB controls are okay

eonwe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 26, 2019

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

eonwe posted:

any idea if the PC port is good yet

especially if M + KB controls are okay

m + kb controls have never been okay with souls-like games

this one looks to be no exception to that rule

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

General Morden posted:

m + kb controls have never been okay with souls-like games

this one looks to be no exception to that rule

m + kb worked quite well in dark souls 3

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I watched some streams of people playing this, and so far the combat looks to be eeeeeeh..?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Shacknews really liked it, highly positive review: http://www.shacknews.com/article/114168/code-vein-review-take-my-blood

They go all-in on puns to end the review:

“Code Vein reads from the grimoire and elegantly adds its own incantations, bringing to the genre a fresh perspective and a lust for blood. Code Vein begs to be devoured. It’s got enough blood in its veins and marrow in its bones to satisfy even the most ravenous of players. If you’re looking for a unique Soulsborne experience, this is it.”

Other post embargo reviews?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
As of right now Metacritic has 20 reviews averaging at 71 which is about where I expected it.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/code-vein

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hm neat, someone finally taking advantage of the Lost Odyssey idea?

quote:

While the main plot relies on cutscenes, many of the individual characters' stories play out through blood echoes, slow-moving story sequences where you walk (very slowly) through corridors with still images that sync up to audio logs. I don’t have a problem with this kind of secondary storytelling, but I wish that more of these more interesting stories could have been better integrated into the main plot, rather than bringing the pace to a crawl to develop its characters and deliver important details about the world.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Saint Freak posted:

As of right now Metacritic has 20 reviews averaging at 71 which is about where I expected it.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/code-vein

About what I was really expecting it too. I don't expect it to be the next Bloodborne, but as long as its at least as good as the first Surge, I'm more than happy.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/code-vein-review-anime-souls/1900-6417320/

Gamespot says the combat never really gets good, which hinders the rest of the game (which they seem to enjoy).

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/codevein/comments/d9n13u/code_vein_review_thread/

average rating for this game is around 7-8

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Does anyone know how good the PC port is?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not out until like 2 - 2:30. Ill let you know when it comes out.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The wcftech review compared it to a new take on dragon's dogma, which was a game that really owned. I think this game will be pretty interesting.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Unpacking on steam.

Edit: Streamin' https://www.twitch.tv/floorislava

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 26, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is male gaze the video game. TnA are everywhere.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Turtlicious posted:

Freaking sold :cheers: