Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is that Ashley Burch doing that weird growly-heavy metal saying of Gearbox during the opening credits thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

Is that Ashley Burch doing that weird growly-heavy metal saying of Gearbox during the opening credits thing?

It sounds like an actual little kid doing it, I got my 9yo niece to do it for me and she came pretty close.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Whoever it is, it makes me smile for some reason.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It’d be nice if it wasn’t 3 times the volume of everything else.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any way to save-edit? I want to try out FLAK, but I don't want to grind through the low levels again.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Not yet but you can just download someone else’s save.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Six AM posted:

Do you talk about stuff like that on your stream with your old man

Quit being a jackass, the dude has a good point.

What use is there having to gently caress around holding a button when as Fl4k, you could have melted the dude in the same time just shooting them?

It makes more sense to immediately be able to tell your pet to handle some trash mob to keep them off your rear end while you take care of the toughest enemy in the area. Having to wait several seconds to be able to issue that attack command makes it considerably less valuable and infinitely less useful than an instant key press. As it is, it’s really only useful for the start of a fight, unless you’re using a pet build.

I don’t ever use it for this very reason.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Yeah like any Anointed weapon with "on using Attack Command, X" may as well be a % chance proc for how often I remember to use it and do so.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Nah, its not a hard thing to use or remember to use

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Anyone else suddenly having issues with monowheels weaving back and forth when trying to drive straight?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Six AM posted:

Nah, its not a hard thing to use or remember to use

No one is saying it is. Having to hold the button is unnecessarily clunky and makes it more time effective to ignore in most cases. It’s weird that you’re arguing in favor of that, but you do you I guess.

This game seems to be faster-paced than previous BL games so it seems weird that they went with button holds rather than multiple buttons for skills.

I guess consoles didn’t have enough buttons and they wanted to keep parity so the limitation crossed over to PC.

If so, that’s dumb.

Then again, pets seem to be largely useless in MH3 besides proccing certain effects.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Holding a button to activate the power skill would be significantly worse, for a variety of reasons. Rakks are almost always available so you’d have the “inconvenience” you have now, except constantly. it would mean fl4k has different controls than every other class for no reason, and most importantly, pets are terrible and the attack command is barely worth using anyway. You’re acting like you have to take your hand off the controller or keyboard to activate your pet attack

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Aw man I got the Yokai head as a drop for my Zane and when booted up the game again the next day it wasn't an option in my new-u station. I must have accidentally sold it instead of using it and didn't notice before I quit. Ouch.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
95% of the time you use an attack command its to send your idiot into a pile of enemies to draw their fire while you murder them all. I get what you’re saying but this is definitely the better option for a control

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Aw man I got the Yokai head as a drop for my Zane and when booted up the game again the next day it wasn't an option in my new-u station. I must have accidentally sold it instead of using it and didn't notice before I quit. Ouch.

Yokai is only for fl4k, I believe.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Huh, ok. That solves that then.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

KingKapalone posted:

My friend's game on PC runs like poo poo when he's playing on his own but as soon as he connects to one of our games it runs perfectly fine. This makes no sense. What is going on?

Ha I actually just asked this exact question, doesn't look like anyone has an answer at this point. Good to know I'm not alone at least.

I've been just gutting it out and dealing with the insane frame drops so I can finish the game and unlock mayhem.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

SpazmasterX posted:

Anyone else suddenly having issues with monowheels weaving back and forth when trying to drive straight?
Every single time I'm playing online multi-player. Solo games it's not an issue.

I'm using those wheels at all times actually. Not an issue when I'm playing alone on muh PS4.
VVVVVVV

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 26, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

SpazmasterX posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but it seemed like it got weavy when I had the jagged wheel type. If it was the standard one it drove straight.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

caligulamprey posted:

Every single time I'm playing online multi-player. Solo games it's not an issue.

I'm using those wheels at all times actually. Not an issue when I'm playing alone on muh PS4.
VVVVVVV

Same.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The legendary SMG you get (or can get, not sure if it's a 100% drop) from the Katagawa orb boss that has "You can't explain that" as its text has been really good for me. It seems to do significantly more damage up close than all my other guns. Good shotguns might be comparable, but I don't have to reload the SMG often (partly because I'm Moze, so I effectively have 20% extra ammo or whatever).

I'm enjoying the main scenario of this game quite a bit. It could be that I just have trashy taste or something, but the plot seems fine to me. Events happen, characters are colorful, etc, which is all I really want. I like Rhys as a character. I also get the impression the game must be pretty long, since I'm only level 22 after playing a lot and I hear people are in the mid 40s when they finish (and I've been doing every side quest).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does skill duration do anything for Rakk Attack or do they always just attack once and then disappear?

Ytlaya posted:

The legendary SMG you get (or can get, not sure if it's a 100% drop) from the Katagawa orb boss that has "You can't explain that" as its text has been really good for me. It seems to do significantly more damage up close than all my other guns. Good shotguns might be comparable, but I don't have to reload the SMG often (partly because I'm Moze, so I effectively have 20% extra ammo or whatever).

I'm enjoying the main scenario of this game quite a bit. It could be that I just have trashy taste or something, but the plot seems fine to me. Events happen, characters are colorful, etc, which is all I really want. I like Rhys as a character. I also get the impression the game must be pretty long, since I'm only level 22 after playing a lot and I hear people are in the mid 40s when they finish (and I've been doing every side quest).

Yeah you’re only about halfway, if that. Also the story parts people mostly complain about are in the later half of the game.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 26, 2019

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

caligulamprey posted:

VVVVVVV

It's just odd because I was using it plenty in multiplayer games just the other day with no issue but today it's like driving after a pretty harsh bender. Jagged wheels all the time too.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So when does Fl4k's pets usefulness run out? I admit I am slow going; Still on Promethea doing the Killavolt side quest. I am really liking teleporting in a Radioactive Hulk Dog in the behind on top of an enemy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Unlucky7 posted:

So when does Fl4k's pets usefulness run out? I admit I am slow going; Still on Promethea doing the Killavolt side quest. I am really liking teleporting in a Radioactive Hulk Dog in the behind on top of an enemy.

From what I’ve read on reddit pet builds are really only unviable on Mayhem 3, though you probably need decent gear. Also any flying boss. Non-pet builds will have their pet dying all the time but at least they absorb some attacks for you

EDIT: Or not

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 26, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

It's just odd because I was using it plenty in multiplayer games just the other day with no issue but today it's like driving after a pretty harsh bender. Jagged wheels all the time too.

I've noticed it too. It didn't happen the first couple times, then suddenly it always happened. I managed to get it to drive straight again once but I'm not sure how.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

RatHat posted:

From what I’ve read on reddit pet builds are really only unviable on Mayhem 3, though you probably need decent gear. Also any flying boss. Non-pet builds will have their pet dying all the time but at least they absorb some attacks for you

EDIT: Or not

It works at anything below Mayhem 3, really, but you need the right build and the right anointed stuff for it. I haven't found the anointed stuff that I'd need for that to work out on higher levels yet, but it's totally serviceable.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Thank you. I was at like -50 so that would have taken forever.

EDIT: didn't work. When you say connect online, do you mean switching the game to open to anyone or actually joining an online game?

This is exactly how I do it on Xbox:
Quit the game completely
Disconnect the Xbox by pulling the network cable
Start the game and play until I get at least 1 guardian token
Connect the cable and wait until I get the notification that I am online in the game
Press start and quit out to main menu
Join the game again and spend the guardian tokens I got offline

Next time you start the game online you might be at negative rank again, then you just have to do the procedure again.
Edit: I do not join anyone's game, I just make sure the game tells me I am "online".

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I just finished off Katagawa Jr. and boy I'm not sure if I get what the gimmick of that fight was. I pretty much just waited until he charged at me then I shot him a bunch with a masher I got from Earl.

Killavolt at least had a definite way of going about things and was mildly interesting.

Hooray?

Also I would love it if I got an orange gun at some point without having to farm. gently caress your trinkets, game. Gimme guns.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Unlucky7 posted:

I've been playing Fl4K on Mayhem 3 since last week and the pet is only good as a rescue dog at that point. And it needs some points in survivability to do even that job properly.

All these skills, namely drone, Iron Bear and the beasts, really need an extra scaling bonus of 200-300% to make such builds viable in Mayhem 3. Or maybe add some artifacts that help pet builds. In their current state they are fun in normal and then start to fall apart.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

All these skills, namely drone, Iron Bear and the beasts, really need an extra scaling bonus of 200-300% to make such builds viable in Mayhem 3. Or maybe add some artifacts that help pet builds. In their current state they are fun in normal and then start to fall apart.

I predict that Gearbox will do very little to nothing at all about this.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr Scumbag posted:

Quit being a jackass, the dude has a good point.

What use is there having to gently caress around holding a button when as Fl4k, you could have melted the dude in the same time just shooting them?

It makes more sense to immediately be able to tell your pet to handle some trash mob to keep them off your rear end while you take care of the toughest enemy in the area. Having to wait several seconds to be able to issue that attack command makes it considerably less valuable and infinitely less useful than an instant key press. As it is, it’s really only useful for the start of a fight, unless you’re using a pet build.

I don’t ever use it for this very reason.

Otoh I wouldn't want to have that same waiting period to activate rakks.

I have the same problem with the classic controller setup. It binds toggling weapon modes to holding triangle, which is too slow. If you edit it to be a button press you lose the "secondary function" button, that's used for things like respawning vehicles or filling up your ammo.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I guess consoles didn’t have enough buttons and they wanted to keep parity so the limitation crossed over to PC.

If so, that’s dumb.

Well the Dualshock could handle a few more functions with its touchpad no problem, but they probably wanted to keep parity...

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Well the Dualshock could handle a few more functions with its touchpad no problem, but they probably wanted to keep parity...

I can sort of understand why they would want to keep parity with the consoles as they directly compete with each other, but artificially limiting the PC seems lovely.

I really would use the pet quite often if I could just hit a button and then focus on another enemy.

Edit: If it weren't for the fact that you had to have your crosshair over the enemy until the attack order registers, it could have been easily worked around with a macro. It's a shame.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 26, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I barely use it for the same reason

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol at the guy coming at me for enjoying playing video games with my father like that's not a cool thing to do. I'm sorry you don't have a healthy relationship with your dad, Six AM.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What’s the point of the slam relics? Slams seem way too situational in this game to build around.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Rinkles posted:

What’s the point of the slam relics? Slams seem way too situational in this game to build around.

Slam is so loving useless, I have got exactly 0 slam kills. It is too situational and when you could use it the enemies just zip around you're better of just shooting them. If you could slam by just jumping up and then press the button it might have been better but you have to be on a slope for that to work so....

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Update to Pet Watch:

Just ran through Skywell on Mayhem 2 with a build that I haven't really optimized at all, it was faster than my Rakk run but slower than Fade Away (although that's not fair, because with FA you can just sprint past everything). Boss kill time was also extremely fast (even though the pet couldn't reach the boss) because of the class mod and the thing that gives me 20% damage as long as gamma burst is up.

I think Head Count is a trap here, I don't think it's worth it because with the Endurance trait you're going to extend Gamma Burst long enough that it'll be ready 5s after it ends anyway (which appears to be as low as it can go)

I did learn that a lot of anointed things are useless with this because of just how often gamma burst is up and how long the duration actually is, you need stuff tailored specifically to Gamma Burst because most of the "when skill ends" anointed things are completely loving useless because you can extend one use of it nearly infinitely with enough enemies.

Overall it was actually significantly more fun than I thought it would be, I imagine in Mayhem 3 it gets a bit worse (and probably just further into the game than where I am now) but with some specific tweaks to the build and items I think it's totally doable.

Edit: Kill time on Traunt Mayhem 3 was approx. 40 seconds, so twice-ish as long as Fade Away but still completely serviceable. I was impressed.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 26, 2019

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

Slam is so loving useless, I have got exactly 0 slam kills. It is too situational and when you could use it the enemies just zip around you're better of just shooting them. If you could slam by just jumping up and then press the button it might have been better but you have to be on a slope for that to work so....

Only benefit I've found is that it counts as splash damage for Moze's Fire In The Skag Den. So I'll hit the slam button if I'm already jumping down to a dude, but I won't go out of my way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The slam is most useful for feeling cool as hell when you're jumping down a hole to fight a boss