Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
:911: :911: :911: :911: :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Silky rugby!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mrenda posted:

SUCK IT! ENGLAND!

U-S-A! U-S-A!

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?s=20

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Post-avatar synchronicity

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

More like :d2a:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Shameful of England to let that try in at the end. We are going to get battered by the first good team we face.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

remember when australia won the world cup and usa were the only team to score a try against them.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Flayer posted:

Shameful of England to let that try in at the end. We are going to get battered by the first good team we face.

What a weird response

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

No games tomorrow. It'll be a good opportunity to catch up on all the early games that I tried to wake up for but ultimately slept through.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the only joy from that USA game as an American was when they put in the jumbo fullback for a blood sub, everything else was pretty awful.

the downtown Tokyo fanzone is really nice btw and will be good when it's a good game and not full of English fans making castles out of spent Heineken tins. I'll definitely go again after work next week.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Why do I continue to insist on rooting for teams that continue to disappoint me :sidvicious:

After watching the replay of England-USA (finally, these time zones are a bitch being in the US) I would like to clarify that I meant Fiji. I have no national pride.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 27, 2019

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Steve Hansen being treated like a celebrity in Japan and awkwardly bowing at everything is hilarious to me

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Not the England centre you expected has been cited for naughty tackling

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

With Shingler in for the Wales game I'm reminded of this

https://twitter.com/BBCScrumV/status/792099832831717376

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

No matches today?! This is bullshit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

No matches today?! This is bullshit.

Prep for six matches over the weekend!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

bessantj posted:

Prep for six matches over the weekend!

My plan was to daydrink today and fall asleep by maybe seven or eight so I'd be awake for 5am tomorrow. My brain decided to play tricks on me by rearranging itself to wake me up at 3am, probably because I told it it'd be daydrinking. Now I'll probably be wired all day and sleep until midday tomorrow.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

bessantj posted:

With Shingler in for the Wales game I'm reminded of this

https://twitter.com/BBCScrumV/status/792099832831717376

I remember laughing my arse off over that, before realising we were still going to lose the game anyway.
Tempted to make Jiffy's noise at 50 seconds the notification sound for my phone.

Has this been discussed yet?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/49845414

Reece Hodge (the Australian winger) has been banned for 3 weeks for the high tackle in the Fiji game. During his hearing he said he had no idea about the new rules/guidelines for high tackles, and hadn't received any training on it from his coaches.

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 27, 2019

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
That it's being enforced is kind of new, but I don't ever remember a time when it was technically OK to smash a fella inna face.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mrenda posted:

My plan was to daydrink today and fall asleep by maybe seven or eight so I'd be awake for 5am tomorrow. My brain decided to play tricks on me by rearranging itself to wake me up at 3am, probably because I told it it'd be daydrinking. Now I'll probably be wired all day and sleep until midday tomorrow.

Well you take cocaine and show your body who's in charge!

stavros880 posted:

I remember laughing my arse off over that, before realising we were still going to lose the game anyway.
Tempted to make Jiffy's noise at 50 seconds the notification sound for my phone.

Has this been discussed yet?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/49845414

Reece Hodge (the Australian winger) has been banned for 3 weeks for the high tackle in the Fiji game. During his hearing he said he had no idea about the new rules/guidelines for high tackles, and hadn't received any training on it from his coaches.

Think Lee-lo and Quill got 3 weeks as well. Motu Matu’u is awaiting the sentencing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Not sure I'm with Clive on this one

https://twitter.com/CliveWoodward/status/1176918106393862147

bessantj fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 27, 2019

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
USA's John Quill has been banned for 3 weeks, for Schadenfreude.

The ban was reduced from 6 weeks to 3 weeks, because Owen Farrell spoke in Quill's defense :psyduck:

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

"If you are incapable of tackling someone legally you should be allowed to do it illegally"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
One of the things I appreciate most about rugby is the concern about player safety. I mean, at that late England breakaway in the Eng-USA game they were 100% going to score a try and the ref stopped the game because a player was down.

I think that the focus on high tackles is a good thing and that Twitter dude is wrong.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Tyma posted:

USA's John Quill has been banned for 3 weeks, for Schadenfreude.

The ban was reduced from 6 weeks to 3 weeks, because Owen Farrell spoke in Quill's defense :psyduck:

That's the rest of his tournament, then? The focus on high tackles is good but missing the entire tournament is quite a punishment for a foul not involving malice.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

runoverbobby posted:

That's the rest of his tournament, then? The focus on high tackles is good but missing the entire tournament is quite a punishment for a foul not involving malice.

If it wasn't malicious then it was so incompetent that he should not be allowed on the pitch.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Farrell has had worse, he probably just sees it as the price of being him. Quill didn't call him a oval office at the same time so it obviously wasn't malicious.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

goatface posted:

Farrell has had worse, he probably just sees it as the price of being him. Quill didn't call him a oval office at the same time so it obviously wasn't malicious.

The dust-up that happened right after that was because of the high tackle, right?

Also the arm-tuck on that tackle was extremely telling, in my fat couch spectator opinion. Dude didn’t even attempt a proper tackle, it was a hockey check.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

runoverbobby posted:

Are you being serious? He should be out for the rest of the tournament. You simply can't allow players to smash opponents above the neck line, rugby is a lethal sport that has resulted in many deaths over the years mostly caused by head injuries.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...e-a8721256.html

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The handbags are just a formality. You have to keep up appearances or people will think you're not trying.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I just listened to Michael Cheika and now I’m sorry I called NZ fans whiny because Cheika is in fact the whiniest man on the planet. He is whinier than Sir John Kirwan even.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

bigfoot again posted:

I just listened to Michael Cheika and now I’m sorry I called NZ fans whiny because Cheika is in fact the whiniest man on the planet. He is whinier than Sir John Kirwan even.

Hey now you fukken take that back. Cheika is not better than us at ANYTHING!

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

In more serious news, World Rugby have shut Squidge down because of copyright because they are arse morons

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Pro14 kicks off tonight! Perfect for anyone jonesing with the world cup on a break day.

The pro14 started as a Celtic league but now includes Italian and South African teams because reasons.

The Cheetahs are currently 10-0 up against the Glasgow Warriors, while Ulster kick off against Ospreys in an hours time.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

The pro14 started as a Celtic league but now includes Italian and South African teams because reasons.

I love this

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

E-nm.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

tarbrush posted:

I love this

That reason is :homebrew:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Truly, the Pro 14 is the most refugee-friendly of tournaments.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bigfoot again posted:

In more serious news, World Rugby have shut Squidge down because of copyright because they are arse morons

Eh? World Rugby are mentioning him on twitter about his good coverage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Eh? World Rugby are mentioning him on twitter about his good coverage?

Is BA reporting old news from when they did get his channel taken down?