Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phone posted:

mice now have arm chips in them for blast processing or some poo poo

i wonder if you can get doom to run on your mouse...

tbf "arm chip" can mean anything from hexacore fancy tablet CPU's to simple microcontrollers like you'd find in basically everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

(I said “code”, so it’s not much of an italicized stretch to extend my post to indicate that.)

counting the number of projects, as though the GTK IRC clients and billion abandoned React components are as significant as the Linux kernel or postgres, seems uncommonly naive

gets a bit circular talking about "significant" though, as it is most natural to define it economically, which will of course coincide with where companies are very active.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

gets a bit circular talking about "significant" though, as it is most natural to define it economically, which will of course coincide with where companies are very active.

what attribute would you rather compare?

the argument is that commercial organizations make money off of it and should therefore pay for it, so it seems appropriate to look at the economic impact, but I’m game

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
kloc is the only metric

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

what attribute would you rather compare?

the argument is that commercial organizations make money off of it and should therefore pay for it, so it seems appropriate to look at the economic impact, but I’m game

i don't care at all about the argument, as it is such a vague idea, just wanted to poke fun at going "most open source code, by a very large margin..." and then throwing in some implicit commercial weighting

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

(I said “code”, so it’s not much of an italicized stretch to extend my post to indicate that.)

counting the number of projects, as though the GTK IRC clients and billion abandoned React components are as significant as the Linux kernel or postgres, seems uncommonly naive
There is more to opensource than a loving kernel. Otherwise, you're welcome to show how you run everything in your custom-built O3 micro-architecture optimized kernel and whatever loving stupid nonsense people think will totally make up cputime spent compared to the additional cputime it takes to build it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

infernal machines posted:

kloc is the only metric

i was once tasked with finding out what the number of lines of code should be expected of developers each week so that we could estimate a project's timeline based on the "number of lines" it would be.

i just sent a list of various papers and articles that said that lines of code were meaningless.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
estimate one line of apl code per developer per week and hold daily scrums where everyone describes the current shape and contents of their array, and what array shape they hope to achieve by tomorrow

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my array shape is currently phallic and pencil like but I’m hoping for a nice chode by Friday

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

There is more to opensource than a loving kernel. Otherwise, you're welcome to show how you run everything in your custom-built O3 micro-architecture optimized kernel and whatever loving stupid nonsense people think will totally make up cputime spent compared to the additional cputime it takes to build it.

???

chillax friend

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

D. Ebdrup posted:

apt-get install wendys-drivethru

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

more like CMYK BLYAT!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Yay he cleared it up, cause it wasn't at all obvious from his first tweet that the driver was exposing all things connected to the SMBUS.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

more like CMYK BLYAT!

:eyepop:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

That's quite simply not true. While it's true that Linux has been overtaken by companies to the point that an individual will find it exceeding difficult to get their code commited (and as a result, maybe a lot of the code written under opensource licenses is handled by companies), that doesn't account for a majority of the opensource projects.

now that's some fud. if you have anything worthwhile to contribute to the kernel, you'll don't have to be part of some mega conglomerate to get it in, where did you get that idea? it's just that more companies sees value in contributing, so naturally the percentage of paid contributions has gone considerately up - but that shouldn't keep you from sending in your patches for your makeshift iio sensor measuring typing noise levels or whatever

commits from persons not tied to any company still represents a huge part of every kernel release

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

some kids have been sending me google docs invites for their school projects for going on 4 years now (same name problem again) and ive had it with them!

is it touching the poop to inject a poop joke into their project?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Krankenstyle posted:

some kids have been sending me google docs invites for their school projects for going on 4 years now (same name problem again) and ive had it with them!

Yes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

I'm all for messing with people but when it comes to kids, people get real defensive, no matter how benign the joke might be. So don't do it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah well

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Krankenstyle posted:

you should help them with their homework

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I'm all for messing with people but when it comes to kids, people get real defensive, no matter how benign the joke might be. So don't do it.

unless kids=college students, in which case the rules of engagement are significantly less restrictive.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fishmech posted:

you should help them with their homework

lol thatd be pretty neat wouldn it

just write up a thing about whatever poem/short story theyre on

thread verdict?

Midjack posted:

unless kids=college students, in which case the rules of engagement are significantly less restrictive.

no idea but since its on year 4 now, they either started before high school (3 years) or they all took a year over at the same time which seems unlikely. maybe the invites started in 9th grade and all went on to go to the same high school?? if so i probably wont get them after the summer

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 27, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Krankenstyle posted:

thread verdict?

no idea but since its on year 4 now, they either started before high school (3 years) or they all took a year over at the same time which seems unlikely. maybe the invites started in 9th grade and all went to the same high school?? if so i probably wont get them after the summer

don't

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

google docs has history though. if i replace one of their lovely synopses with a real writeup theyre bound to notice and can just rewind if they dont like it? idk

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Krankenstyle posted:

google docs has history though. if i replace one of their lovely synopses with a real writeup theyre bound to notice and can just rewind if they dont like it? idk

look you asked for our advice

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

thread verdict?

no idea but since its on year 4 now, they either started before high school (3 years) or they all took a year over at the same time which seems unlikely. maybe the invites started in 9th grade and all went on to go to the same high school?? if so i probably wont get them after the summer

it’d be hilarious but you’re probably better off just letting it lie. maybe redirect them to the right person if you can determine who that could be.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
as much as a computer ghost doing homework assignments would be funny, its a bad idea.

if they were adults you could go hog wild.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

boo

although theyd be turning 18 sometime during 3rd year of high school at the latest.. maybe i should wait and see if they do it again in 6 months lol :devil:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

some kids start college before they turn 18

also, just don't

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
adult means like 25+

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i would also say: don't

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

in "the secfuck is coming from inside the house": the state institution i'm working for decided that wpa2 and sending the network password via email would be fine, as long as you in big red cursive letters state it is not to be shared!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lutha Mahtin posted:

some kids start college before they turn 18

also, just don't

im not gonna, but it would be super weird for a group of danish kids to all take 4 years in the same danish high school class together. im not sure thats even logicstically possible. at best theyre sharing notes between classes but even that assumes they get the same assignments.

im telling you this is a putop job!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
mess with the kids if you want imo. Americans itt are just scared it would result in a mass shooting or whatever

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rufus Ping posted:

mess with the kids if you want imo. Americans itt are just scared it would result in a mass shooting or whatever

oh ya at worst theyre gonna get told off for using the online.

couple of my highschool buddies copied the same essay from some website back in 97, teacher was quite angry but nothing happened

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
cloudflare's vpn service seems decent so far, other than 30% icmp packet loss (????? lol)

it's based on wireguard so you don't really have to use their special app for it. beats janitoring my own server to connect to

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

im not gonna, but it would be super weird for a group of danish kids to all take 4 years in the same danish high school class together. im not sure thats even logicstically possible. at best theyre sharing notes between classes but even that assumes they get the same assignments.

im telling you this is a putop job!

Oh this is Denmark. Parents are not insane there like in the US so you won't get Sherrif Jimbob and the local SWAT team kicking your door down at least.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

nah the worry would be he gets reported and ends up in jail. its also super creepy to do so you probably should end up in jail if you did it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Oh this is Denmark. Parents are not insane there like in the US so you won't get Sherrif Jimbob and the local SWAT team kicking your door down at least.

yeah cops in the us can legally do murders so you really want to stay away from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

dont be a creepy child botherer ok. just dont.