Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh darn. I'm only going on Sunday, so I'll miss them. What a shame.

It's worth shaking your shedule for it. Shame on you.

Every friday my cat goes to the butcher in my village to beg a bone-meat combo.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I've finally completed the old thread.
This new thread seems to grow about twice as fast as the old one. I'm afraid I'm not going to catch up like this.
What is causing this? Is CIG̸ producing lots of lolworthy material? Has Cry been rekt? Is it lots of new people leaving r/starcitizen? Is it lots of people posting from the games subforum? :confuoot:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

You missed the other one going on:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17243-Black-Sails-And-Strong-Grog

If you beat the arena mode right now it unlocks a LIMITED TIME PIRATE SKIN CATERPILLAR buy now buy now buy now!

(Or rent for like, nothing)

E: The comments on that post are gold too. The like, second one is somebody reporting a bug that makes the achievement un-earnable, and being absolutely roasted by the community for having the tenacity to complain in a visible place.

Late as gently caress but the comments read like those Facebook boomer groups.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Quavers posted:

A few SC videos
:laugh:

Whenever I make a critical vidjeo about SC, I prefer the blindshillrage/rebuttal vids to come from a Furry using a foip setup to show everyone their weird fetish, I honestly take people like them incredibly seriously and will stop laughing any day now. :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Not being able to fly anywhere is a big problem with EVE Online and It makes me laugh really hard that Elite fixed it and lets you actually fly anywhere but SC didn't lmao

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Did they receive payment in dreams of being a real space commando someday?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SabinBlitz posted:

Did they receive payment in dreams of being a real space commando someday?

Professional grade tickling doesn't come cheap. The investment grade german ostrich feathers prices have gone crazy.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Zaphod42 posted:

Ahahaha every time I think I know how bad SC is, they surprise me and they're even worse

Elite is already everything SC could ever hope to be

Zaphod42 posted:

Not being able to fly anywhere is a big problem with EVE Online and It makes me laugh really hard that Elite fixed it and lets you actually fly anywhere but SC didn't lmao

ED tries to do wayyyy too many things, and so does loads of them badly. It gets a big pass for being mainly functional and pretty, but it's still shot through with SC-style overreach. Not sure lauding its select strengths vs the deficits of other games means that much.

But I'll still laugh, and have a play, if they double down and add FPS in 2020, as events keep suggesting:

I guess NMS will have another annual freebie update by then too. Probably exploration richness of something.

Should be a fun year XD

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1177307290489147392

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Ahahaha every time I think I know how bad SC is, they surprise me and they're even worse

Elite is already everything SC could ever hope to be

Counterpoint: Elite sucks ergo SC is good.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

MedicineHut posted:

Countercounterpoint: Elite is good ergo, err, oh bloody hell, logical fallacy.

SC is still good, goddammit.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Time for another summary of

INSIDE STAR CITIZEN

The show about portraying basic engine-level accomplishments as major development milestones!

Summary begins:
* We open with model-viewer shots of a new spaceship instead of Jared talking for once, a refreshing change.
* It is the Banu Defender. It is generic and alien. Vocoder voices play over spooky alien music. It has organic interiors because all true space aliens must grow their ships.
* Oh now Jared is talking and he has loving "Producer" in his title. Hahahahahahaha skip skip skip
* Today we are rambling about mission sharing. Devs are explaining why this fundamental mechanic that should have been included at the loving launch of the game three years ago is very important and a big win for them. Don't break your wrist jerking yourselves off there, guys.
* If you are too much of a crime-doer you will not be able to land at good, lawful locations. Of course you can just like, park right loving next to them and get out? It's awfully nice of everyone to constantly declare that they are wanted criminals before requesting landing. No more vehicle storage for you (unless you die!) because you're a nasty man (unless you die) and there's nothing you can do about it (except die, which you will do instantly anyway). I guess this is why they're throwing in space-jail soon: obviously being a horrible crime person is clearly not aggressively lovely enough. Also they're pretending that you're going to be hunted by the navy and bounty hunters.
* Basically don't do crime missions, you will get hosed and there is no recourse except a 15+ minute waiting game to remove your stat. This is good game design.
* They are now patting themselves on the back for having applied scaling to the same weapon attachment model so they'll fit three different sizes. I'm not kidding- it's the same model, just made bigger.
* It is unclear if there are any mechanics attached to the attachment models that the man is showing. I would guess that no, there aren't.
* Don't worry, they're refactoring the attachment models. Obviously the first ones they put out were just a first pass- real glad they took care of all the glaring art problems.
* Good news, there is a mechanic after all! They have added a combat flashlight. It is literally blinding for anyone in front of you.
* The suppressor makes your weapon sound different. Take a loving victory lap everyone. With this many stock-standard gameplay assets that deliver no surprises whatsoever, Star Citizen is sure to blow the doors off of that Call of Duty Space Game that came out like 2 years ago.
* I guess we're not talking about that interdictor ship after all. I really figured it would get all the attention but they must not be ready to sell it, or the actual mechanic doesn't work.
* Now we're talking about face customization. Again.
* I don't care. Nobody cares. The whole game requires you to wear a face-obscuring space helmet.
* SHIP RENTALS OMG
* They are demoing the ship rental. They are not commenting on the ludicrous prices in the demo video. "Ship insurance is covered... as normal." i.e. there is no such thing as lifetime insurance you loving dorks, there's just ship blow up and ship respawn. Just loving admit it.
* Jared is talking again, that means it's over.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
The sacrifice you show for our entertainment is beyond believe. I applaud you, oh mighty Goon

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

These weekly videos are not only tedious and awful to watch, they're just so pointless.

Anything remotely interesting is relegated by Chris to the CIG Skunkworks, only to be revealed at the next big demo-slash-sale. They aren't allowed to talk about any of the poo poo they're actually working on, so why even bother to make the loving show? While they were going on and on about caves, they were clearly doing final polish on this brand-new spaceship. The weeks before that, they were all-hands-on-deck for the minelayer or what the gently caress ever. Why not, I don't know, talk about the mechanics that you actually intend to release soon in the weekly videos you produce?

It feels like they Chris actively detests the fans at this point. Like he's working really hard to show them as little of the actual development going on in his studios as possible. I know the thread's going to come in and knee-jerk "That's because there is no development" but there clearly is, there's obviously stuff that they work on year-round for the big ships and major demos or whatever. But they aren't allowed to talk about it. It's so loving weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MedicineHut posted:

Nah Elite sucks ergo SC super super double infinity sucks

Like the best thing SC could ever hope to be if they actually build a game (which they can't) is something lovely. That's hilarious.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What is this hardon for punishing lawbreakers before anyone even knows how pirate/criminal gameplay will be profitable? Yes, sure, it should be hard to be a lawbreaker, but isn't it supposed to be an supported career choice?

Sarsapariller posted:

They aren't allowed to talk about any of the poo poo they're actually working on, so why even bother to make the loving show? While they were going on and on about caves, they were clearly doing final polish on this brand-new spaceship. The weeks before that, they were all-hands-on-deck for the minelayer or what the gently caress ever. Why not, I don't know, talk about the mechanics that you actually intend to release soon in the weekly videos you produce?

These videos are the only content that the backers actually get. That's why they got so mad when they don't actually cover any new stuff (like the staggered development one) or are too short. Notice how many comments are about "THIS is what the ISC episodes should be like, so much content!" but not about the actual things that were discussed.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 26, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What is this hardon for punishing lawbreakers before anyone even knows how pirate/criminal gameplay will be profitable? Yes, sure, it should be hard to be a lawbreaker, but isn't it supposed to be an supported career choice?

In one of those videos recently posted the guy points out that anytime you pvp in SC people flip a loving poo poo and call you names in chat even though all progress gets wiped occasionally so it doesn't even matter.

SC crowd are all people who thought they'd be the one guy with the big ship blowing everybody up because they spent $2,000. But everybody else did too, so they're actually on an equal footing, and they seriously can't handle that.

Star Citizen will basically have to disable pvp to make them happy, but in doing so will make the entire game invalid and pointless. Its an amazing contradiction of desires.

Star Citizens just fundamentally have not considered the consequences. They want to be able to gank people, but don't want to be able to be ganked. That's impossible to reconcile, but its what they believe. Doublethink.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sarsapariller posted:

* Oh now Jared is talking and he has loving "Producer" in his title. Hahahahahahaha skip skip skip

On this specific point - he's obviously been taking classes, the whole "faux naturel while obviously acting" shtick is really jarring. Can't blame him for polishing his show reels for future employment off the teat of the gullible backer dollar though. Well, I could, but that would cause one of those episodes of cognitive dissonance/quantum paradox which Star Citizen seems to abound in. So I won't.

Sarsapariller posted:

* Jared is talking again, that means it's over.

Maybe a bit more polish required - or more acting classes.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Only if you spend 5.000$ on Spaceships jpegs

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

In one of those videos recently posted the guy points out that anytime you pvp in SC people flip a loving poo poo and call you names in chat even though all progress gets wiped occasionally so it doesn't even matter.

SC crowd are all people who thought they'd be the one guy with the big ship blowing everybody up because they spent $2,000. But everybody else did too, so they're actually on an equal footing, and they seriously can't handle that.

Star Citizen will basically have to disable pvp to make them happy, but in doing so will make the entire game invalid and pointless. Its an amazing contradiction of desires.

Star Citizens just fundamentally have not considered the consequences. They want to be able to gank people, but don't want to be able to be ganked. That's impossible to reconcile, but its what they believe. Doublethink.

I'm really looking forward to the Reddit posts from angry people when the Mantis is in the game and people start getting interdicted and ganked.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Because Roberts has strong ethical background. He hasn't ripped off anyone.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Rotten Red Rod posted:

...when the Mantis is in the game and people start getting interdicted and ganked...

*B'Tak pearl necklace clutching intensifies*

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Jared is talking again,

Does he still do that weird 'wobble' with his head as he's talking? If I remember right, always at the end of sentances, like wobbling ur head is some sort of non-verbal command to assert authority or heirachy.

I loving hate it when people do that, it reeks of 'smug' and it's really annoying.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sarsapariller posted:

It feels like they Chris actively detests the fans at this point. Like he's working really hard to show them as little of the actual development going on in his studios as possible. I know the thread's going to come in and knee-jerk "That's because there is no development" but there clearly is, there's obviously stuff that they work on year-round for the big ships and major demos or whatever. But they aren't allowed to talk about it. It's so loving weird.
It could be that they want *something* to be a surprise or at least worthwhile content to show at CitCan.

Or Crobbler realized that at some point he will need to cut the ties with the weirdos and also probably all the backers who might hold him accountable if he wants his masterpiece to actually sell when released. (It won't and it will crash and burn anyway)

Or it's both.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sabreseven posted:

Does he still do that weird 'wobble' with his head as he's talking? If I remember right, always at the end of sentances, like wobbling ur head is some sort of non-verbal command to assert authority or heirachy.

I loving hate it when people do that, it reeks of 'smug' and it's really annoying.

I don't know, I literally begin skipping the second I see his face. You may note that it hasn't really impacted the informational content of the videos.

Dude has basically taken the role of the woman who introduces the commercials to you if you show up at the movie theater too early. Except he's a lot loving smugger about it, which is actually really loving funny when I stop to think about it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AbstractNapper posted:

It could be that they want *something* to be a surprise or at least worthwhile content to show at CitCan.

This is the excuse they use, but I think it's more just that they place absolutely zero value on old money. Do just enough that they can delude themselves, and no more. Don't even show them what you're working on- save that for shock-and-awe at the big convention, or for a big sale reveal. Yeah the backers paid to see it in development but gently caress them, they are horrible addicts who won't stop giving you money no matter what happens. The only thing that matters now is big-time investors, or new money, or whatever scheme Chris is targeting this year. Give the old money some C-reel footage and invite them to meet your loving QA people outside a bar at the next convention. There you go, obligations met.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sabreseven posted:

Whenever I make a critical vidjeo about SC, I prefer the blindshillrage/rebuttal vids to come from a Furry using a foip setup to show everyone their weird fetish, I honestly take people like them incredibly seriously and will stop laughing any day now. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blPpnnSOiwk

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don’t know much about furries but this video is immediately hard to watch with sounds on. Why do their voices sound like chew toys?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

S1rmunchalot posted:

T.A.M.A - The Schrödinger Clone Paradox

This idea of legal representation game-play is not as crazy as it sounds. They did, a long time ago, ask if players were interested in role playing mediation services and let's face it.. all you need is a room in a specific location and people willing to undertake the role play. On the face of it It is a simple mechanic to implement since we have FOIP, VOIP and text input- IF - there is access to game log files in order to recreate the events, or whether witness testimony will be considered.

In the past they mentioned that there will be courts that are to fast-track cases and enforced prison time is allowed as the time to acquaint yourself with certain skills and factions or allow a jail-break mini-game, however these fast-track court events all take place in 'virtual time' because of the risk of griefing in a capture and restrain mechanic '. When asked about flaws in the Death Of A Spaceman mechanic Chris answered the 'player' avatar clone is held in suspension aboard the ship involved in capture, while the player is warped to prison. There is no place for jurisprudence. You are captured, tried and convicted before you can blink.

We had a long discussion about it (and medical game-play since it involves restraint) in the old forums. The plan Chris outlined in Death Of A Spaceman has an inherent flaw, he stated you can be captured and restrained and at that point you are insta-warped to prison (or hospital if incapacitated). The two flaws are that you have now 2 avatars of your character in the same timeline. One is still aboard ship being restrained (or treated in a Cutlass Red or Apollo) in transit while the other is in prison or walking out of hospital. If the ship is destroyed before it can deliver your avatar to the courts, are you alive or dead? If you get shanked or killed escaping prison before the restraining ship reaches it's destination are you alive or dead? If the EMT ship is destroyed or your medical team screw up are you alive or dead? I called this the Schrodinger Clone paradox.

To be clear this paradox is only relevant to player avatars it does not affect NPC's, there is no need to clone NPC's we can grief them to our hearts content.

There has never been a satisfactory answer to this paradox, and since in the case of medical game-play what is the point of any such actions by the player if before the treating player even does anything the injured player is insta-warped to walking out of hospital fully healed? How can the player treating the injuries have any effect if the outcome is pre-determined as soon as the injured player loses consciousness or agency? What is the point of medical game-play if you know that the 'patient' you are looking at is already walking out of hospital fully healed? What is the point of medical ships and equipment - all you would need is a stasis pod to transport to the magic heal hospital. In the same way you are apprehended, tried and convicted in the blink of an eye with no hope to ever plead your case in court. This is in my estimation a great loss and would add to the interesting immersion and character progression of a character if they have the right to jurisprudence in those cases that re not clear cut. The insta-warp included in Death Of a Spaceman is in my view unnecessarily limiting and completely ignores that the original next of kin inheritor mechanic includes a possible answer to this.

I suggested in a thread (a long time ago) that we should have a temporary avatar while our main character was incapacitated or restrained, but this is no random avatar it would be the 'next of kin' that we chose when we created our character (you have to do this, it's part of the game to specify an inheritor upon your death). The next of kin character would then be informed of your status (hospital or in jail) and they could either participate in your healthcare and recovery, visit you in hospital, talk to doctors and nurses, pay your medical bills etc. They can arrange legal representation for your primary avatar and jail visitation, or arrange a jail-break and escape. Once your main avatar can resume the temporary avatar goes back to being a toon in the same way our extra character slots do when we are not using them. I called this T.A.M.A. Temporary Avatar Minimal Assets. It used to show up in a search of the old RSI forums.

One of Chris Roberts main arguments for the Death Of a Spaceman mechanic was that death and major life events should have consequence, they should stand out as major milestones in a players life history. What could be more memorable than the time you had to change to another person to affect your main characters history? Why create such a death and inheritance, incapacitation and injury mechanic and then fudge it with a dual avatar insta-warp feature? Having this as an alternative open up options. The real hardcore players can remain incapacitated in 3rd person view to observe what happens to their character, those who have alternate game package avatars can select to use them or use the TAMA, or a player can simply say.. c'est la vie.. what will be will be. I'll go and play Arena Commander until it is decided what happens to my main character. Any of these are better options than insta-warp.

The player can give the TAMA limited access to the property and funds of the main character just as next of kin can in the real world. Because this system doesn't allow a cloned avatar there is no possibility for a paradox to arise. Anyone griefing the main avatar runs the risk that the TAMA will come an deal with them, and the TAMA can also advocate for the player in a legal setting. There were others who suggested alternate arrangements such as forcing a player into an Arena Commander virtual setting until the main characters situation resolved, but in my view none of these ideas gave the player agency in the resolution of their main characters journey. There was no 'connected-ness'.

I don't care what solution they adopt as long as they deal with the completely immersion breaking insta-warp paradox and how it totally invalidates any player on player medical game-play. If either Chris or Tony Z have information to reassure those of us who have concerns about the insta-warp dual timeline it would be nice if they would share it, we've waited years for them to even acknowledge it. How would they feel about instant justice, capture, trial and incarceration with no recourse or appeal? Why bother to appear to make the PU seem real at all? What is the difference between instant respawn and insta-warp?

Anyone planning on replying needs to be familiar with the Death Of A Spaceman mechanic as detailed by Chris Roberts here:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

[EDIT] Please excuse the constant changes, I'm having a lot of problems with Spectrum today.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/if-someone-attacks-me/2404577

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Noooo, you misunderstand.

If everyone paid to win, then they all must be winners.

But they can't all be winners, because they're all on an equal "winning" footing.

Therefore no-one paid to win.

Conclusion: Star Citizen is not Pay2Win :smuggo:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Mirificus posted:

Oh my god, it's full of dumb!

I think either Sirmunchedalot doesn't understand what a computer game is, or he's in massive need of some sort of procedure to repair that brain of his.

Don't worry Sirmunchkin I can explain this criminal 'GAMEPLAY' thing to you, CI(not g) have you covered with a 15 minute cooldown timer on criminals and other naughty people, if they managed to survive that long without getting popped by evryone else the criminal stat is erased so they can continue to PLAY the GAME, if they die in that 15m window then they respawn so the can continue to PLAY the GAME! I hope this helps you understand that its a game and not good for gameplay to do a lovely "Law and Order" episode in it every time someone ganks a commando. :thumbsup:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

3.7 Evocati Patch Notes https://pastebin.com/axWeLRy0

Known Issues

Please avoid doing derelict related missions for now.
Multiple optics are missing from the kiosk and when attached to weapons.
UI has a chance to disappear on the customizer screen.
There's a large rectangular area missing from the surface of Daymar around one of the caves.
The MISC Razor EX will spin out of control when approaching the no fly zone.
Players may experience a crash if they rapidly change hair color or other options when using the character customizer.
VFX for shields may not be appearing on vehicles.
Multiple scope crosshairs are off center when viewed in ADS.
Corpses at derelicts are hidden under objects or hull.
The probes in the destroy probe mission will sometimes teleport ot map origin, preventing completion.
The delivery lockers at Tease Spaceport and L13 Metro do not distribute mission packages.
Players may crash when loading into the industrial hangar.
Players may crash when changing hair back to original when using the character customizer.
Ships may display as rented if the player exits to title while a claim is in progress.
If the player unequips the undersuit in Star Marine the body will have various graphical issues.
The QT navigation marker is still present for HUR-L2.
Players are able to get landing permission at Area18 with a crimestat.
The reformation distortion scattergun currently has a blue light texture issue.
Many mission givers are not in their correct position.
Mining rock marker UI when in the Prospector will appear permanently without scanning at less than 1900m.
The default hair may be present under other hairstyles.
If you leave and reenter the commodity kiosk the "sell" tab icons will remain even though you are on the "buy" tab.

:thumbsup:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I know movies often give characters a chance to monolog but that SC2 ending was silly. Also kinda deflates all tension when you know someone in hulking armor is between the bullet and kerrigan the whole time.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hey goons please don't steal things that I write and repost them as your own, even if it is shitposts. Seriously, that's aggravating.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also if you find things funny enough to c/p from here and attribute to yourself at least pay the ten bucks to turn off the profanity filter, drat

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Archer is coming from inside the thread. :ohdear:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Better yet, just don't post on Reddit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sarsapariller posted:

Hey goons please don't steal things that I write and repost them as your own, even if it is shitposts. Seriously, that's aggravating.

p sure that it was some Reddit guy and not a goon, because

Sarsapariller posted:

Also if you find things funny enough to c/p from here and attribute to yourself at least pay the ten bucks to turn off the profanity filter, drat