Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Scooby Doo was drawn in front of a live studio audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

I remember Friends as being the platonic ideal of "sitcom". It was beige and bland and safe and whitebread in every single way. Even when they tried to inject some diversity, (Ross's lesbian ex wife, Chandler's trans dad, the one asian and one black girlfriend that Ross had.), it was done in the safest "lets not upset our ratings with middle class white people" way. It became huge, largely because it was so aggressively safe and bland.

And yay for those that like it/hate it, but I can't find many big feelings either way about it. And that should be fine. Not everything is "the best", or "the worst". Some things just are, and become part of the cultural zeitgeist for reasons.

As to why Gen. Z supposedly lives it, well I don't understand young people and think they should all get off my lawn, but a possibility is because it is just so quintessentially 90s sitcom. And that is a fun kitsch escapist camp thing to enjoy in the magical wondrous times we find ourselves in today.

Yeah, 100% this. It ain't a fuckin mystery.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Scooby Doo was drawn in front of a live studio audience

They had to quit because it was a horrible strain on the artists' wrists.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Everybody Loves Raymond is a show about the soul-crushing monotony of a slightly dysfunctional family where everyone is a bland and irredeemable piece of human garbage. Ray is a spoiled brat who never grew up. Debra has a victim-complex. Ray''s mother is a helicopter mother who plays favorites. Frank is a selfish bully. Robert seeks attention at any cost. The kids are poorly behaved monsters.

It's like Curb, but on a much subtler level and with a lot less cursing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Everybody Loves Raymond is a show about the soul-crushing monotony of a slightly dysfunctional family where everyone is a bland and irredeemable piece of human garbage. Ray is a spoiled brat who never grew up. Debra has a victim-complex. Ray''s mother is a helicopter mother who plays favorites. Frank is a selfish bully. Robert seeks attention at any cost. The kids are poorly behaved monsters.

And somehow worse acting (although I kinda like Brad Garrett and Peter Doyle, but the rest of the show, jesus christ)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bogus Adventure posted:

Everybody Loves Raymond is the dad-com. I remember in the 00's it was the heavy rotation syndicated sitcom, and my dad has never made time to watch reruns of a TV show before Raymond started that circuit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Debra is literally the victim. Like half of the show is just the mother character making GBS threads on her

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Raymond was a lot funnier before I got married, which I'm guessing is the opposite of how it's supposed to work. Now it hits too close to home, in the sense that I'm forced to imagine what it would actually be like for us to treat each other that way, and it's horrifying. There's still a lot of funny stuff about in-laws and whatnot, but it would play better if the core husband and wife were more supportive of each other.

I mean, until season 7. It's always been irredeemable garbage after that point.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Debra is literally the victim. Like half of the show is just the mother character making GBS threads on her

Robert is way more the victim!

I think the show is unrealistic in that they made Ray successful at his job. Anyone that favored and coddled growing up should be more of a deadbeat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

artsy fartsy posted:

Robert is way more the victim!

I think the show is unrealistic in that they made Ray successful at his job. Anyone that favored and coddled growing up should be more of a deadbeat.

There can be two victims!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe I didn’t watch enough episodes because I thought Ray was also supposed to be the victim (but not nearly as much as Robert).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, who are the sitcom power couples who did age well?
  • Hal & Lois
  • Morticia & Gomez
  • Rosie & Dan
  • Florida & James Sr.

???

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hal and Lois were horrific abusers. It utterly baffles me how there are people who defend Lois, especially in the series finale.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Everybody Loves Raymond is the dad-com. I remember in the 00's it was the heavy rotation syndicated sitcom, and my dad has never made time to watch reruns of a TV show before Raymond started that circuit.
I thought that was King of Queens

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Toshimo posted:

• Hal & Lois
  • Morticia & Gomez
  • Rosie & Dan
  • Florida & James Sr.

???

Uhhhhhhh.....
Whoever Drew ended up with in the Drew Carey Show?

I was gonna say Titus and Erin on Titus but uh....IRL that went sour fast

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Uhhhhhhh.....

You know the answer to your first one is your answer to the second one....

Or is that :thejoke:?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The parents on Grounded For Life probably work

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Hank and Peggy Hill

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

bobjr posted:

Hank and Peggy Hill

if anything, their relationship probably improved by miles after Cotton died

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Seeing as how the show was just discussed, Chandler and Monica aged pretty well. It sucks the show was more known for the Ross/Rachel crap when most of the show's seasons seemed to revolve around those two's relationship progressing. I'm genuinely trying to think of anything remotely toxic about that relationship but nope, those two really worked great together. They helped each other to become a better person.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SatansOnion posted:

if anything, their relationship probably improved by miles after Cotton died

I had high hopes that the episode where cotton and peggy dance on his grave would've softened their relationship, but nope.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Uhhhhhhh.....

And his comedy got so bitter afterwards. Like it was never happy comedy but it's all so much more mean spirited

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bobjr posted:

Hank and Peggy Hill

I started working with someone from Texas a year or so ago and holy crap that show is so accurate for a certain type of person. I’ve gained a new appreciation for it.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Friends is the text book example of sitcom characters becoming caricatures of themselves in later seasons and making everything unbearable.

Like, it wasn't a great series to begin with, just a bland show that might've been progressive for it's time and is anything but by today's standards. But the characters started somewhat believable and ended up just insane by the halfway point.

Ross is a raging lunatic instead of just a guy frustrated with life. Joey is a moron incapable of dealing with normal day life instead of just simple. Monica has crippling cleanliness neurosis instead of being just overly neat. Phoebe lived on the streets and denies evolution instead of just being eccentric. gently caress Rachel, she can go to hell. Chandler's ok I guess.

My highschool girlfriend LOVED Friends if you're wondering why I have every episode seared to my brain despite hating it.

TURTLE SLUT has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Sep 26, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Toshimo posted:

• Hal & Lois
  • Morticia & Gomez
  • Rosie & Dan
  • Florida & James Sr.

???

Uncle Phil & Aunt Viv

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One of the snags with sitcom couples is that sitcoms generally run on horribly broken people getting up to shenanigans. Functional, normal people with functional, normal lives don't tend to get up to sitcom hijinks. Having a rational person come in, fix everything, and smooth out all the misunderstandings so everybody can get along isn't nearly as funny as everything spinning out of control because everybody is terrible and/or crazy. Even the cool-headed characters will become odd at the right moment, just happen to walk out immediately before they could fix it or see what the plot is, or just carry around an idiot ball for a while.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Uncle Phil & Aunt Viv

Which one?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sabrina's "aunts"

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

jefferson and weezy

no question

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Bogus Adventure posted:

"Slightly" dysfunctional? I've seen two episodes and assumed that the final episode was a mass murder/suicide.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the snags with sitcom couples is that sitcoms generally run on horribly broken people getting up to shenanigans. Functional, normal people with functional, normal lives don't tend to get up to sitcom hijinks. Having a rational person come in, fix everything, and smooth out all the misunderstandings so everybody can get along isn't nearly as funny as everything spinning out of control because everybody is terrible and/or crazy. Even the cool-headed characters will become odd at the right moment, just happen to walk out immediately before they could fix it or see what the plot is, or just carry around an idiot ball for a while.
NewsRadio had a really good balance of this. Dave, Lisa, and Catherine were the usually-sane ones who either struggled to prevent shenanigans or got out of the way while Bill, Matthew, Joe, Mr. James, and Beth caused trouble. When a character switched from sane to crazy or (rarely) vice versa, it made things even better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Matt Lauer shows up a couple times in 30 Rock and is, accidentally hilariously, in the first episode of Kimmy Schmidt.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
The Bundys are supposed to be a terrible family, but everything about them is pretty good by today's standards.

Stable marriage
Full time job
Own a house
No massive debts
No extreme political views
Kids are not drug addicts, unplanned teen parents or alt-right school shooters

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

The parents on Grounded For Life probably work

I remember liking that show in highschool but not sure if it holds up even a little, mostly since I remember very little about it

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Toshimo posted:

I haven't watched it in a while, but I always thought Still Standing was very under-rated, and the family dynamic wasn't so caustic as something like Raymond. The show also has Mark "King Robert" Addy doing a very impressive American accent.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Shut up Meg posted:

Own a house
No massive debts
No extreme political views

I'm sure that house was mortgaged beyond it's value. And Al was a MRA.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Thranguy posted:

Al's NO MA'AM was the ur-MRA parody. Apparently some of the people who grew up with the show took the wrong message from it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

tbf kelly was also a kind of walking pregnancy scare, bud was a proto-incel, and seven just... disappeared

i do get that a big part of the humour was that the bundys were wretchedly, wretchedly poor despite having the house, a car, a family dog and most luxuries; their personalities were awful and always clashing but the overall family solidarity was top-notch and the unity was very stable in the face of odds

their finances were in the green for a while with a microscopic nestegg - the 80s norm being that everyone else was nurturing a proper retirement fund - but they were in astronomical debt after al's shoe phone-line fails but it didn't really change the status quo so i guess it was more of a punchline

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Thranguy posted:

Please do not disparage the good name of NO MA'AM by comparing it to that collection of condom malfunctions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Last week I posted about shows reusing actors. I'm in the last season of In The Heat of the Night. Virgil Tibbs has become an attorney and his new boss is the same actor that he put away for murdering his high school pal a few seasons back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Definitely can't deny Al's loyalty.
There are plenty of episodes where he's given a chance to bail out on Peg and the kids and ends up staying with them. That episode where they all go to Hell comes to mind.

Speaking of bad things that were aged horribly from birth: I remember this old sitcom that starred David Spade. I think Kirstie Allie was in it too. Pretty sure they were working at a fashion magazine, could be wrong about that part.
What I definitely remember though was that for awhile, Spade's character was dating a supermodel by having gaslighted her into thinking she was too ugly to even leave the apartment and that he was the only one who loved her for her.