Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Utopia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How much electrical tape is there on outfits? I need to know if this properly captures the modern God Eater aesthetic.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is just enough tape to avoid an AO rating lmao.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The character creator is crazy detailed and deep.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Coop seems to be working perfectly and the character creator is kind nuts:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
this game is by default better than bloodbourne because it has a control scheme that actually makes sense for a combat heavy game, instead of the exact same controls as dark souls forced into a different genre

feels like the game a lot of people who were 13 back in 2003 would've loved to play

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Is the game currently only playable on Steam? Also, any indication you guys have found for how the game will perform on a base PS4? I don't have a pro, and if it just isn't gonna run well, I can do Steam.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The demo at least ran fine on base PS4.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
there's no style or genre of game that can't be improved by shooting it full of anime and that goes for Dark Souls, too.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
"Don't touch that, it'll kill you" said the dude.

PC: "Immediately touches it"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Love the character creator

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For those asking, the PC controls are good, customizable, and are basic, left mouse for light, right mouse for heavy, CTRL and Mouse for your drain attack. I'll be using a controller because it's more comfortable for me, but you can rebind every key / control into whatever you want.

I'm getting 120fps w/ my 120hz monitor, is smooth as silk.

(I have a GTX 1660, and a Ryzen 7 cpu.)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

game is gorgeous and super fun so far

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

pretty good so far

now everyone's gonna know the saints rolled through

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

char creator owns, PC controls are good, combat is fun, coop works on steam

not much more else to say, if you like Souls games this is worth a buy. I'll post screens another day.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being able to change your class at will is super rad and cures my class indecision that grips me in these types of games.

e: Reviewers said they get lost a lot, but Idk how because you have a big rear end map with breadcrumbs showing you where you died and exactly how to get there...

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 27, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

Coop seems to be working perfectly and the character creator is kind nuts:

What am I looking at here, because I don't know which of the two possibilities would be better.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Being able to change your class at will is super rad and cures my class indecision that grips me in these types of games.

e: Reviewers said they get lost a lot, but Idk how because you have a big rear end map with breadcrumbs showing you where you died and exactly how to get there...

it's not so much getting lost, exactly, but i've already hit a point where i simply didn't know where to go to proceed. vague hints about what area you should be focusing on next (and the note at home base wasn't much help)

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cuntellectual posted:

What am I looking at here, because I don't know which of the two possibilities would be better.

Someone in my stream chat asked me to give my character huge balls. So I did.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah this boss took me ages to beat

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I just got clowned on by water Hatsune Miku for a whole hour and can't beat her and i'm SO ON TILT

game's good

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got it and played a while then refunded for a couple of reasons. The graphics are awesome and the game is smooth. My concern is that it feels pretty easy. I also got the full $80 edition and was like drat is this worth it right now?

You guys that got farther... is it really easy? Every enemy seemed to die fast. Steam reviews also said its easy.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the water boss is rude as hell but the hardest boss is navigating the cathedral

what a loving nightmare that place is

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
This game is more God Eater than Souls-like. I does seem p. easy so far. The only death I've had is falling off a ledge and I've already hit level 20 at the 3 hour mark. The one off map system bummed me out because when I first warped to the area my first thought was "oh, cool... a rogue-like random map generator" but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

vandalism posted:

I got it and played a while then refunded for a couple of reasons. The graphics are awesome and the game is smooth. My concern is that it feels pretty easy. I also got the full $80 edition and was like drat is this worth it right now?

You guys that got farther... is it really easy? Every enemy seemed to die fast. Steam reviews also said its easy.

The bit that makes it seem easy is most enemies have low poise so you can stun lock them. So things like bosses and the bigger enemies are a challenge.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Any souls like is easy if you overlevel/overgear enough, and we’ve all got gud compared to DkS1. This game is a little different, definitely fun, and worth taking it at your own pace.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Having been burning through souls-likes lately(Remnant, Surge 2, Blasphemous), this is somehow both my favorite of the crop and the one I think I'll be putting the most time into. It feels fresh enough to set itself apart.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I only have one real problem with this game and it's the red stone memory sections that you are forced to very slowly walk through. The stories told are very bland and not compelling at all.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Got this game, demo a while back sold me on it.
Will play it this weekend

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

pmchem posted:

Any souls like is easy if you overlevel/overgear enough, and we’ve all got gud compared to DkS1. This game is a little different, definitely fun, and worth taking it at your own pace.

Agreed. I think it's a lot less 'game is easy' and more like 'if you've played a Souls game before (likely), you know the score'. Like, you know you're not going to charge into that wide-open area because you know Souls games have pulled that poo poo before and there are a ton of enemies waiting to own your rear end. So you take it slow on the side paths and take out the dudes in waiting one-by-one.

Even the early game will punish you if you're careless. The big dudes can take away over half of your life in a single hit if you're rolling as a low-level Caster, so discretion is the name of the game.

I will admit that I had a flashback to Demon's Souls - as my first death was accidentally falling into a pit, much like how one of my first Demon's Souls deaths was accidentally falling into that pit near the beginning of Boletarian Palace 1.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

LuiCypher posted:

Agreed. I think it's a lot less 'game is easy' and more like 'if you've played a Souls game before (likely), you know the score'. Like, you know you're not going to charge into that wide-open area because you know Souls games have pulled that poo poo before and there are a ton of enemies waiting to own your rear end. So you take it slow on the side paths and take out the dudes in waiting one-by-one.

Even the early game will punish you if you're careless. The big dudes can take away over half of your life in a single hit if you're rolling as a low-level Caster, so discretion is the name of the game.

I will admit that I had a flashback to Demon's Souls - as my first death was accidentally falling into a pit, much like how one of my first Demon's Souls deaths was accidentally falling into that pit near the beginning of Boletarian Palace 1.

This game leans hard into enemy ahead of you turned around while guy hiding on the side is waiting for you to take the bait.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Have there been any souls style games that were at least as good as the souls games? They all seem to fall short, missing the magic that from puts into their games.

I’ll probably get this on a steam sale though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think this game is too easy, I'm getting my rear end kicked by the first Trial of Blood lol

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
A lot of the reviews were mentioning it was the AI teammate that really seemed to control their difficulty curves. People who were frustrated by a poor AI thought the game was too hard, others whose AI was acting correctly thought the game was too easy. One reviewer said the game's difficulty was erratic as a result, another thought the entire game was easy all the time as long as you had an AI period.

So my take away was, if you want the game to be more difficult, drop the AI partner and go solo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm not very far in and the AI partner is just cleaning house. Between his damage output and his healing, it's a bit easy. But I'm loving terrible at the game so that's ok for now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Overbite posted:

Have there been any souls style games that were at least as good as the souls games? They all seem to fall short, missing the magic that from puts into their games.

I’ll probably get this on a steam sale though.

If you're looking for something that's like 'Dark Souls, but more of it', you're probably going to come away lacking. I'd say The Surge games were at least close to it, the second in particular, but other than the combat, mechanics and gameplay loops, they're distinctly their own thing. Nioh's probably the closest you'll get, but even that deviates in its own ways. Hell, Bloodborne is distinct enough to say it's its own thing. But that's a whooooole other argument no one wants to rehash for the Nth time.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

fashion veins

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

A lot of the reviews were mentioning it was the AI teammate that really seemed to control their difficulty curves. People who were frustrated by a poor AI thought the game was too hard, others whose AI was acting correctly thought the game was too easy. One reviewer said the game's difficulty was erratic as a result, another thought the entire game was easy all the time as long as you had an AI period.

So my take away was, if you want the game to be more difficult, drop the AI partner and go solo.

I've been running solo but I think I'm gonna break out the partner for these trials of blood, they're a nightmare

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

If you're looking for something that's like 'Dark Souls, but more of it', you're probably going to come away lacking. I'd say The Surge games were at least close to it, the second in particular, but other than the combat, mechanics and gameplay loops, they're distinctly their own thing. Nioh's probably the closest you'll get, but even that deviates in its own ways. Hell, Bloodborne is distinct enough to say it's its own thing. But that's a whooooole other argument no one wants to rehash for the Nth time.

Yeah, a list of good Souls-likes basically comes down to what you like about Dark Souls.

Sekiro is a great game with a very Souls-like game world and From's aesthetic/tone, but is much less of an RPG and more of an action game. Nioh is very clearly pulling from the Souls playbook for basic design stuff, but the combat is fundamentally different in ways that will throw a Souls vet and the Diablo-style loot system turns some people off. Those are probably my two favorites so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Very upset that this and The Surge 2 came out within a few days from each other because now I'm going to have to pick one