Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It is, indeed, Villalobos.

Here's Awesome Kong by Robson Rocha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
All three of these are awesome.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jiro posted:

Holy poo poo why does Jericho have telekinesis? Lol he looks like a mid boss you'd encounter in an SNK game. If he's levitating anything it should be "a lil bit of the bubbleh"

Now that you mention SNK, he does have kind of a Krizalid look to him.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That is clearly a drawing of HHH wearing Moxleys clothes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just A Boy and His Dinosaur. Looks like Villalobos again.

https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1177361000200163328?s=20

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So there is a huge series of posts (well 4 but they're long) over at the dccomics subreddit that attempts to tie everything Doomsday Clock related together with everything currently happening in the DC Universe (Multiverse? Metaverse?) and it makes a lot of sense out what a lot of people have been arguing is a lot of disjointed messed up continuity nonsense. At least I think I understand it more. Its a lot to digest.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/comments/dacsqw/theory_the_connections_between_doomsday_clock_and/ is the last post but contains links to the first three which you should read in the list order before you read the one linked here. His argument is basically everything still happening right now happens in-continuity before Doomsday Clock and will be doing so until Dec. 18th 2019 (because of the delay on Doomsday Clock). I'm curious as to whether anyone else agrees or can poke holes in this guy's theory.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Reading all four of those posts, it's some pretty impressive work, but gently caress am I sick and tired of loving Doomsday Clock. Admittedly I thought it was a dumb idea in the first place, but it just keeps going, and going, and dragging everything it can grab in with it. The writer says they think any rewrites were fairly minimal, but I'm curious what it'd all have looked like if Doomsday Clock was on time. Surely not at all what things look like now.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I feel like it's hard to 'disprove' or 'poke holes' in a theory predicated on 'okay but what if there are multiple beings with godlike powers continually overwriting all of history and reality and altering people's lives and memories and personalities?' as a storyline.

It can all be tied together, since anything that doesn't line up can just be handwaved as something done by Doctor Manhattan or Superboy Prime or Perpetua or Barbados or Psycho Pirate or Apex Lex or etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

It's safe to assume that everyone at DC has been working towards the same basic goals (essentially undoing the New 52, bringing back the Justice Society and Legion and Kon-El and Impulse and etc.) for the past three years, and having them end up with a line of comics in 2020 that feature the JSA and Legion and Kon-El and Impulse doesn't really point to everything being perfectly coordinated.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have to admit that I don't really get how Manhattan can fake Wally losing control without Wally also realizing what is going on?

And also have no clue how his own powers work.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm completely sure Tom King didn't have the blue man in mind there.

Edit: Not that it can't be retconned in whatever Lobdell is doing in his miniseries I'm not gonna read. I wouldn't be surprised if he was given the instruction to take responsibility for the deaths away from Wally so he can come out of the other side a usable ordinary hero character.

Anyway, for anyone who's forgotten the current Shazam! run exists, here's the last panel of last week's issue...

Hrmmm.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 30, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Finally finished all of Gotham by Gaslight. I stand by my original opinion that the theme and setting are more interesting than the stories themselves, but it did win me over in the end. I like that it’s left with Bruce having a happy ending in the end. It reminded me of Raime’s Spider-Man 2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, that's about my thoughts in the end. It sounds like the movie does what I wanted, expanding the story and all that, but I've not heard anything particularly good about it.

Love that costume too. I thought it was disappointing that Arkham Origins had it, but I there was no way for me to switch costumes until I beat the game (City had a cheat code to let me do that, after all).

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyway, for anyone who's forgotten the current Shazam! run exists, here's the last panel of last week's issue...

Hrmmm.

I am baselessly speculating and it’s absolutely farthest thing from the truth, but I’m choosing to believe all the delays are from Johns just digging in and stomping his feet saying “I’m USING the drat NAME”.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cael posted:

I am baselessly speculating and it’s absolutely farthest thing from the truth, but I’m choosing to believe all the delays are from Johns just digging in and stomping his feet saying “I’m USING the drat NAME”.

I hope that happens.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Roth posted:

I have to admit that I don't really get how Manhattan can fake Wally losing control without Wally also realizing what is going on?

And also have no clue how his own powers work.

Because it's just going to be some dark multiverse bullshit. Wally isn't relevant to Doomsday Clock.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Having the Shazam fam meet the classic Marvel Family is such a great idea.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm completely sure Tom King didn't have the blue man in mind there.

Edit: Not that it can't be retconned in whatever Lobdell is doing in his miniseries I'm not gonna read. I wouldn't be surprised if he was given the instruction to take responsibility for the deaths away from Wally so he can come out of the other side a usable ordinary hero character.

Hrmmm.

howd they convince marvel to do this crossover

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Hasn't the rule always been "you can't put the name on the cover"?

And the name change was just so he'd have one that could go on covers...

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
100% that. Trademarks != Copyrights, which is why you can use common names/phrases all you want all day inside a comic (Robin, Silk, Storm, Flash, Rogue, Gambit, Thing) and if you wanted to write a comic where there were characters obviously distinct from the existing ones named Robin or Flash or even Black Panther or Captain Marvel or something, that's also acceptable. You can't control the usage of words or phrases, except as trademarks, "a recognizable sign, design, or expression which identifies products or services of a particular source". Trademarks are limited to usage in packaging, advertisements, labels, etc.

So putting out a comic called WOLVERINE VS. FLASH and having that on the cover would be an infringement even if it's Marvel doing a Wolverine vs. Flash Thompson story, two characters they own, because "FLASH" is trademarked by DC. You could make an independent comic where a character named Mac "Romedia" Flash fights an actual rabid wolverine and people could talk about Wolverine cutting the poo poo out of Flash in the story all you like.

Trademarks are also supposed to be constrained to a particular line of products, which is why there can be a company called Wolverine that makes boots and has a trademark for footwear branded Wolverine, but Marvel can control the comic/film/action figure/video game trademark for "Wolverine", or how Shazam the app exists.

This gets increasingly complicated today compared to the 19th century when all these laws strted taking off, since there are so many brands cross-media/object companies; this leads to things like Apple Computers and Apple Records getting into protracted lawsuits, because why would the people who controlled the Beatles' recordings expect a computer company to ever crossover into music distribution when the initial trademarks were filed in the early 1980s? It's also why you see a lot of merchandise (toys, etc.) emblazoned with MARVEL'S NOVA or MARVEL'S WASP or MARVEL'S SILK because they couldn't file a trademark for the words alone in [whatever category of items the licensed stuff is)

As for something like Captain Marvel, DC is totally within their rights to have Billy Batson running around in a cape calling himself Captain Marvel, the fact that they'd never be able to use that name on a cover, or on a toy, or on a shirt or poster or trading card, and could hypothetically get dragged into a gray area legal battle if they ever use the name "Captain Marvel" in a house ad or 'too much' promotional material in Previews or whatever, is why they determined it was way more trouble than it was worth back in the 1990s.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

WOLVERINE vs FLASH

....thompson

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Legion Millennium #2 is better than the first issue, at least because the Booster Gold story is actually decent. rest is trash, though

also, I can't imagine putting this much effort into trying to prove that Doomsday Clock will actually fit perfectly into DC continuity, but here you go

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/1..._popular_mobile

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LOSH: Millennium did give us this, at least.

I did like the voices of the Legion on the one page we got them.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

LOSH: Millennium did give us this, at least.

I did like the voices of the Legion on the one page we got them.

Glad I removed this from my pull list.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Can I get even the slightest context on that?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

hup posted:

Rose and Thorn are a split personality.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

hup posted:

For some reason Rose and Thorn (one character with a Jekyl/Hyde personality) is now immortal and has been living through various future eras of the DCU, leading up to the establishment of the LOSH. Here she's left Earth and is flying through space as one personality saying that that the other will "poop" her "panties" when they switch over.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 2, 2019

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i don’t get the hate for millennium honestly

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Parallax posted:

i don’t get the hate for millennium honestly

The first issue came across as really pointless, but I see what he's doing now with the end of this one, presuming she'll be the LOSH's gateway back to explore those eras.
It's still really strange that he picked her for it. He hasn't even established her as a very important or interesting character in Action Comics yet.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is that what the new legion series is about? i assumed the end of millennium was her going to the legion to warn them about cycle of earth civilization falling and rising back up

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hey, so I think I missed something by not reading other series. Regarding the end of Justice League, had it been previously established that Kamandi was in contact with Batman Beyond and allies?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Parallax posted:

is that what the new legion series is about? i assumed the end of millennium was her going to the legion to warn them about cycle of earth civilization falling and rising back up

I think he's mentioned Kamandi and Omac will be coming back in, or if not interacting with the Legion, they'll be getting spin-off series made like the Lois and Jimmy comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 3, 2019

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
For anyone who's still into the...I dunno...the big ol' multiversal Crisis Rebirth reboot theory Manhattan whatsis going on in whatever books...there's been some interesting things going on in the Lois Lane book. Renee Montoya is back as the Question, but so is Vic Sage, and both of them actually remember the fact that Vic died...but now he just isn't dead anymore. They're very confused about it. It's acknowledged that Lois herself knows the truth about this, presumably because she still remembers being one of the two people who existed pre-Flashpoint.

There's also a crazy woman in an apartment who is almost certainly Jessica Midnight from Rucka's Checkmate series, performing an occult ritual, raving about people being erased as if they never existed. In her pentagram, it's hinted that Leviathan has something to do with all this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

For anyone who's still into the...I dunno...the big ol' multiversal Crisis Rebirth reboot theory Manhattan whatsis going on in whatever books...there's been some interesting things going on in the Lois Lane book. Renee Montoya is back as the Question, but so is Vic Sage, and both of them actually remember the fact that Vic died...but now he just isn't dead anymore. They're very confused about it. It's acknowledged that Lois herself knows the truth about this, presumably because she still remembers being one of the two people who existed pre-Flashpoint.

There's also a crazy woman in an apartment who is almost certainly Jessica Midnight from Rucka's Checkmate series, performing an occult ritual, raving about people being erased as if they never existed. In her pentagram, it's hinted that Leviathan has something to do with all this.

It's weird that I hate almost everything Bendis is doing in the Superman books yet this is exactly what I wanted in a story about the universe being all hosed up. drat it Bendis why won't you let me either love or hate you!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

It's acknowledged that Lois herself knows the truth about this, presumably because she still remembers being one of the two people who existed pre-Flashpoint.

Well there's like the entirety of YJ now and Wally, too, not that they're involved yet.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

And related to this...

quote:

DiDio originally teased the DC Timeline in July at Comic-Con International in San Diego, saying, "One of the things we're working on in the DCU is we're building an ultimate timeline. We're building this so we have a better idea where our stories connect. That's where we made our mistake during the New 52 -- we didn't understand which stories matter, which ones didn't. Once we understand how these characters connect, then we'll be in a place to give you the true history of the DCU."
God they suck at knowing their own product. How do you not understand which stories matter and which don't when your loving job is telling stories in an existing universe. Like fans have done 99% of the work for you.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Is this the first time they've publicly acknowledged that their timeline is a loving mess because of the N52?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Amy Reeder is writing and drawing Amethyst
https://twitter.com/ComicsBookcase/status/1180214343054569473

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That is an exceptionally good announcement, that I expect the next DC announcement to be a second Jason Tood ongoing

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
There's some weirdo on Twitter that responds to everything the official DC twitter posts with "GIVE US WHAT WE WANT, GIVE US A JASON TODD SOLO BY DEXTER SOY" or some variation thereof.

Also, in other supremely confusing news, it looks like DC is launching a second Harley Quin and the Birds of Prey title under Black Label starring the movie lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darth Nat posted:

There's some weirdo on Twitter that responds to everything the official DC twitter posts with "GIVE US WHAT WE WANT, GIVE US A JASON TODD SOLO BY DEXTER SOY" or some variation thereof.

Also, in other supremely confusing news, it looks like DC is launching a second Harley Quin and the Birds of Prey title under Black Label starring the movie lineup.

Is that one gonna have a black Dinah Lance?