Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

are you guys playing a joke on me where the HELL are you guys seeing The Nightingale? I want to see it so bad but no theaters or VOD services have it, and I live in a major city. Is it in that weird out-of-theaters-not-out-on-VOD limbo?

My local indie theater showed it for two weeks at the end of August/early September.

Also, they just announced that they're showing 3 From Hell in October, along with the Wrinkles the Clown documentary (which will count towards the October Challenge, if anyone is able to catch it during it's run).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

King Vidiot posted:

So which is the one where instead of a supermarket it's a department store, but it isn't Chopping Mall?

It's not even a good movie but it's bugging me to not remember it.

Probably The Initiation, starring the princess from Spaceballs. There's also Hide and Go Shriek set in a furniture store.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

My local indie theater showed it for two weeks at the end of August/early September.

Also, they just announced that they're showing 3 From Hell in October, along with the Wrinkles the Clown documentary (which will count towards the October Challenge, if anyone is able to catch it during it's run).

i cant find the challenge thread what is the challenge

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

i cant find the challenge thread what is the challenge

It goes live tomorrow. Links will be posted, and it'll be stickied to the top of CineD.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

oh ok perfect! i've never done the horror challenge but im gonna try it this year

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gejimayu posted:

Have you guys seen these Sandy Hook PSAs going around? Jesus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ykNZl9mTQ

lol

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

oh ok perfect! i've never done the horror challenge but im gonna try it this year

You'll enjoy it. People find the most obscure stuff to watch every year, it's nuts.

edit:

https://twitter.com/BookishPlinko/status/1177272398195781632?s=20

Debra Hill, OG Bad Bitch

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s really not that funny but aight

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

Laughing is easier than crying.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It reminds me of a robocop commercial

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
that's kind of why I love it.

It's satire, but it's not making light of the thing it's talking about.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I really love The Fog. Probably the best looking ghost effects ever put on film.

I really hate Kardashian astroturfing. I wish they'd all pile into a limo and drive off a cliff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It isn’t satire though? It seems sincere, and that’s the scary thing about it.

I really really doubt the sandy hook promise of all things would be making satire over mass shootings

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

If that was meant to be sincere, they really hosed up. Most of it plays like a parody video.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

I really really doubt the sandy hook promise of all things would be making satire over mass shootings

When I say it's satire, I mean it in the same way that most of RoboCop is satire.

It's not to the same degree as, say, Airplane! or Scary Movie, because at the core of the message is something the director and writers care about and do mean. A message they are serious about.

That's what I mean by it at least. It uses dark humor to get across its actual message.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I get you now

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

T3hRen3gade posted:

e: To this day I occasionally say "Southern Bulgarian MIAK" to refer to milk. I get a lot of weird looks.

I also do this, and my wife is pret-ty tired of it

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Stink Billyums posted:

Probably The Initiation, starring the princess from Spaceballs. There's also Hide and Go Shriek set in a furniture store.

I read the description of Initiation and it didn't sound familiar, but Hide and Go Shriek's plot description does sound familiar despite the fact that I can't remember a loving thing about the movie. So it's probably the latter. Thanks!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

are you guys playing a joke on me where the HELL are you guys seeing The Nightingale? I want to see it so bad but no theaters or VOD services have it, and I live in a major city. Is it in that weird out-of-theaters-not-out-on-VOD limbo?
My wife and I got there early to see a special screening of it at BAM only for the screening to be half empty. The movie is just bizarrely undervalued.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There seems to be a direct shout out to The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill in the first segment of the Creepshow series. Which makes sense because the story is similar.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Kvlt! posted:

It was playing at a theater here in DC not too long ago. No idea what their rollout strategy is, tbh

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

The build up and presentation is comedic gold.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

T3hRen3gade posted:

I
No. There was no redeeming anything in the Nic Cage version, it was a lazy re-imagining of a much better film that added bees for some reason. I love Nic Cage (occasionally), but gently caress that movie.

Disagree. It’s a bad remake but it’s at least dumb in a silly way unlike Gus van sant’s psycho which is just boring and bad.

First horror memory is either The changeling on tv or The Witches in theaters both terrified a very young me. I was absolutely terrified of the trailer for a movie before either Batman or Batman returns where a tv sucks a family into hell. I avoided movie trailers for a good long while after that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Wicker Man remake sucks but yeah Nicholas Cage and the ultra overwrought way it's shot makes it very enjoyable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

When I was a little kid UPN aired Alien Abduction: Incident In Lake County, in a "it might be real!" kind of way. It scared the poo poo out of me. For like a year afterward every night when I went to bed I would stare at my bedroom door, convinced that it would swing open and there would be an alien there

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually you reminded me that my first “horror”
Experience was some alien abduction doc that wasn’t that, but had a bit about a child who got taken away and came back with a triangle cut on its forehead. Spooked me as much as it got me hardcore into UFO’s and the paranormal

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my first horror experience was Goosebumps and Tales From the Crypt as a little-little kid

my first horror MOVIE experience was being 7 or 8 years old and being TERRIFIED of the cardboard cutout leatherface they had for the release of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beggining in my local DVD rental store. The DVD cover also scared lil Kvlt!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

When I was a little kid UPN aired Alien Abduction: Incident In Lake County, in a "it might be real!" kind of way. It scared the poo poo out of me. For like a year afterward every night when I went to bed I would stare at my bedroom door, convinced that it would swing open and there would be an alien there

I rewatched that a couple of years ago. I wouldn't say it holds up exactly, but kind of impressive for a tv movie from the 90s. And it pre-dates blair witch and last broadcast when it comes to found footage too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ambitious Spider posted:

I rewatched that a couple of years ago. I wouldn't say it holds up exactly, but kind of impressive for a tv movie from the 90s. And it pre-dates blair witch and last broadcast when it comes to found footage too.

It's going to have some rough spots as expected for a show from the 90s. Ghostwatch is the same way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ambitious Spider posted:

I rewatched it as an adult and I would say it holds up. Sure, there's the scene where they mysterious Alien technology is very obviously just a laser pointer. But it's got fantastic escalation, the acting isn't terrible, and it uses the found footage gimmick really well. I love how the alien's behavior makes total sense. They aren't hostile, they're just investigating the family. But from the family's point of view holy poo poo aliens are trying to get into our house.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It sucks the big one, you might as well watch Feeders.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

It sucks the big one, you might as well watch Feeders.

I really shouldn't have just googled that.

yikes

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I really shouldn't have just googled that.

yikes

That's why you always search imdb instead of google

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCIaru8aPgY

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 27, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I'm guessing Nightingale is an absolute no if the person I usually watch movies with has issues with sexual violence?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

who would win in a fight...freddy or goku

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

just been thinkin bout goku fighting slasher villains recently

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It really comes down to if there is a very obvious ironic dream death Goku could suffer through.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I'm guessing Nightingale is an absolute no if the person I usually watch movies with has issues with sexual violence?
Depends on the issues and how they manifest. I have one friend who is very wary of sexual violence in film and adored the movie.

The sexual violence is brutal, but also very humane in how it works in the narrative. It doesn't feel exploitive and really focuses on the point of view of the victim. But the movie's rape scenes are very emotionally intense and if someone has a history of being triggered by depictions of sexual violence in other movies then I'd imagine this cutting pretty deep.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kvlt! posted:

who would win in a fight...freddy or goku

i didn't read this, but have at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Late to the earliest horror chat but my legit first memories of a horror movie are Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Particularly the scene where Leatherface cuts off L.G.'s face and puts it on Stretch. We lived in the country full of tiny barbecue places and back roads so in the mind of a kid like me Leatherface was just out there waiting.

God that movie owns.