Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It snowed at Squaw this week.

I'm moving there this weekend.

Can't wait to get the hell out of the bay area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Steve French posted:

I'm moving there this weekend.

Can't wait to get the hell out of the bay area

Nice! I got out of the Chicago area like 7 years ago, never looked back.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moey posted:

So these are at every life, not just base areas?

How do they limit people just sharing a pass?

I've heard VR rewards their scan teams for catching people sharing passes, the prosecutes them for theft.

At Whistler they have RFID gates at every single chair, with actual turnstile gates at all the non-alpine chairs to stop people from hiking through the trees to Garbo/Emerald like they used to do to get around the scan at the bottom. Some of the alpine chairs (although for some reason not all, why do you need turnstiles at the t-bars??) just have a giant overhang that automatically reads the pass.

In practice by December they get rid of the turnstile gates at almost all of the lower chairs because they work so badly and just end up holding everyone back. Then you always get the idiots that INSIST on holding their passes up to the scanner to get it to count and end up holding up the line anyway.

They also have people that stand there and watch to make sure people aren't sharing passes, and they also have security cameras for when they don't have enough staff to watch people, since the ski club apparently got an email from the mountain last year that too many people were sneaking under the gates when they didn't have their passes in their suits LOL. At the base areas they ALWAYS have people checking to make sure the person using the pass matches the photo and they won't let pass if you have your goggles down.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Ski and Snowboard 19/20: Whistler is full and all the devils own Vail

Varg fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 18, 2019

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

they won't let pass if you have your goggles down.

This strikes me as crazy, especially as someone who minimizes the amount of times I take my goggles off to help reduce moisture in the goggles.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This strikes me as crazy, especially as someone who minimizes the amount of times I take my goggles off to help reduce moisture in the goggles.

Yeah in 8 years I have never had one ask to see my face.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The turnstiley things are on every lift in pretty much every European resort I've been to. Maybe not the lifts for 3 year olds.

On the letter that came with my Magic Pass (covers most of French speaking Switzerland and a couple of other places) it says it takes a photo of you every time you go on a lift to check for pass sharing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

It's soooooooo annoying when it's raining at the bottom and the top of your helmet is already wet. But yeah, they literally have signs up saying keep them up, and every time I've tried to go through with my goggles down they've stopped me and made me raise them.

So dumb. I didn't realize it was a Whistler-only thing, I assumed all VR did it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

Same. I normally have a bandana over my face + goggles.

Only issue I had is when it claimed I was 60 something.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Winter Park only has turnstiles on 2 or 3 lifts iirc since the other lifts are only accessible after going through one of the turnstile lifts.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mammoth and Park City getting snow

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

bawfuls posted:

these goofy poles grips were a thing in the 80's and 90's and they seem to address the issue of pole strap injury pretty simply, i've no idea why they disappeared

I had these in the 80s, but in a neon blue

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
thread title

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1176217670049353728?s=19

That seems bad

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
that’s an extremely cool and accurate map of “the entire U.S.”

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kazak_Hstan posted:

that’s an extremely cool and accurate map of “the entire U.S.”

:bravo:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am flying to SLC to go visit Park City on December 8th....Hoping for the best now.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I have a dart board in my basement, do you guys want me to create a long range winter forecast too?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I would love for the doom and gloom to be wrong but it seems like the sea surface temperature data is something they can make decent projections from

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I would love for the doom and gloom to be wrong but it seems like the sea surface temperature data is something they can make decent projections from

Not really. Could it be warmer, sure, but will 6 cold fronts come through, cool it off, and dump snow? Who knows.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Also snow levels are dependent on small scale events, ie storms. Maybe the climate will be warmer than average, but a good storm pattern here and there can create a good base

Basically go re read the Open Snow article about accuracy for the 18-19 season

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Long range winter forecasts suck, period. Like Eejit said, you can find a good example by looking at what they were saying before last season vs what actually happened.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I just want snow in Alberta this year is that asking for too much?

Its the tar sands isn't it?

Karmic retribution :smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

I just want snow in Alberta this year is that asking for too much?

Its the tar sands isn't it?

Karmic retribution :smith:

Did you miss the part where they're calling for up to a foot of the stuff in some areas by Monday

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Did you miss the part where they're calling for up to a foot of the stuff in some areas by Monday

Yeah I was in Banff a fewd ays ago and got snowed on lightly on top of Tunnel Mtn. Its coming down in Cow Town right now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Castle picked up 130cm over the last week. :toot:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Why isn't Tahoe getting any of this? I want to go skiing :(

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

What's your definition of any?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://alpinecanada.org/news/ski-c...mDX65LkuApasiHY

Make some turns for Miki this year, please, guys. She was the loving best. I have never met anyone sendier, or nicer, and I'm going to miss her so much.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

https://alpinecanada.org/news/ski-c...mDX65LkuApasiHY

Make some turns for Miki this year, please, guys. She was the loving best. I have never met anyone sendier, or nicer, and I'm going to miss her so much.
Condolences HookShot. That's terrible news.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That is very sad news, I am very sorry to hear that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anybody have thoughts on FutureLight? Seems like it is cool but very expressive. Not sure it would be worth the cost for most normal people.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Might be worth it to wait a season or two to see if any lingering issues need to be worked out or if improvements can be made. For the cost of those jackets, it might be worth waiting for. Might also be worth seeing if you can borrow one for a day to test out, or at least wear around, to get some impressions on.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah, agreed, I also have no intention of buying it. My current jackets and pants really work super well. Just overall curious what you guys think.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I only bought a new jacket last year. my jacket before that was from 10 years ago. and my pants I bought this year.

The difference in weight and material comfort is like night and day. its incredible.

if Futurelight is like that jump again, I'd be pretty impressed. I somehow think it wont be though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That is very sad news, I am very sorry to hear that.

Yuns posted:

Condolences HookShot. That's terrible news.

Thanks, guys.

She was one of the good ones.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

HookShot posted:

Thanks, guys.

She was one of the good ones.

:smith:

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

spwrozek posted:

Anybody have thoughts on FutureLight? Seems like it is cool but very expressive. Not sure it would be worth the cost for most normal people.

Looks/sounds pretty good, would need to fondle in person to see what all the fuss is about. Definitely on the expensive side but you can spend a lot more on a ski jacket without that technology.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Is FutureLight that much better than Goretex 3L? They seem to be about the same pricing if you look at high end Gore stuff like Arcteryx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

All the reviews I read several months ago didn't have any real data, TNF wasn't allowing the technical details to be released or independently tested. Which I found to be kind of strange, you'd think if it was objectively better they would want to get the word out...