Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I'm tempted to try simic flash in the event just to see what it's like to be on the other side of the matchup I hate the most, but I'll probably go with something I actually think would be fun instead.

Flash is SO MUCH FUN though. You get to tell people no! What's better than that? Oh! And you have a strong wincon too. And you can make howling noises when your wolves come onto the battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Esper Dance of Doom looks hosed up!

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2293421#arena

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 27, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sinteres posted:

If you haven't decided to just quit playing the game since you're finding it frustrating, which would be a reasonable response, it might be a good idea to track your winrate for a bit and see if your perception matches up with reality. I'm not trying to say you're making poo poo up, but sometimes it can feel like you're losing a lot more than you're winning even if your winrate is close to 50% just because you focus too much on the negative to enjoy the positive. Obviously if you can't overcome that you shouldn't keep playing, since getting substantially over 50% in this game over the long term is very difficult given the matchmaking, but if your winrate is better than you think it is, maybe seeing that will help you feel better about your play.

Alternately, stick to the play queue if ranked is too stressful.

There are also just those days where every single match seems to be either mana flood or mana screw. I had a day a week or so ago where every single opponent seemed to have an absolute god draw, at which point it's time to just hang it up for a day or two.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

I have absolute analysis paralysis with this play any deck thing. There's so many cool decks and I have no idea what to play :ohdear:

I either wanna gently caress around with the Pyromancer deck people posted in here, do crazy goose/Oko poo poo or do knight tribal. :ohdear:

I used the goose/oko and got some absolutely silly board state that caused my opponent to resign. 10/10 would play HONK HONK again.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Did you guys get all the mono color NPE decks? It looks like I only have the blue one "Azure Skies".

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

drainpipe posted:

Did you guys get all the mono color NPE decks? It looks like I only have the blue one "Azure Skies".

I got the mono colored ones and multicolored.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
My first match with the play anything was a grindy as gently caress pyromancer mirror match. It's a pretty cool deck though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

flatluigi posted:

have you thought about putting oko in here

I was thinking about it since I opened one from my Green Egg but aside from being busted I don't know if it jives with the rest of the deck's plan? Food is good for the goose I suppose

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Weirdly on the two uncommon cards reward on the mastery track I got 4 cards... which I know the dupe bug, but I got 3 different cards.

Also, as they're uncommons, I have no idea if I already had them.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I didn't open any of the cards I wanted. But that's okay! I'm waiting for netdecks anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Does everyone get the same renewal bonus cards or did I just 'luck' out?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Maybe I can win every card in standard and ignore the horribly exploitative business model for a whole year.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Zyla posted:

why am i like this

its happened like a dozen times

s: What is that

OH BOY ILL GET GOOD AT CARDS AND ENJOY THAT

5 hours later
gently caress CARDS
it feels like every single person i play on the ranked ladder is like infinity better than me
and that its utterly hopeless
I just will not ever take this game seriously. I refuse to play decks that run fewer than 3 dream eaters which means perma silver forever. so be it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

drainpipe posted:

Looks like I just got the red Dome Destruction.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Anyone else thinking of making some dummy accounts to play test more decks?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Reality Sinner posted:

Maybe I can win every card in standard and ignore the horribly exploitative business model for a whole year.

You can ignore 1/4 of the business model since you can only win 1 of each, not a playset :ssh:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kjermzs posted:

Anyone else thinking of making some dummy accounts to play test more decks?

Making a bunch to try and get 12 wins on one of them is too far off the deep end for me, but now that you mention it yeah I should use my alt that's been collecting cobwebs to gently caress around with something different.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I just logged in for the first time today and got the NPE decks. I guess we don't actually get the cards in those decks if we already had them? Because I looked at the monoblack one and that didn't give me an extra Knight of the Ebon Legion?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Did two sealed events and went 4-6 overall, now to not touch this format for another three months or whatever

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

So I just logged in for the first time today and got the NPE decks. I guess we don't actually get the cards in those decks if we already had them? Because I looked at the monoblack one and that didn't give me an extra Knight of the Ebon Legion?

it was actually hilarious how they filled the npe stuff

if you had less than what was given you got one or more

if you had equal or more than what was given you didnt get any at all

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

If you had more then they took some away.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well from the Sealed events and 30 packs and the rewards I have gotten 3 Okos, I guess the game really wants me to put them in a deck!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hate it when I, person who has spent $200 dollars on magic, don't get free stuff meant for newbies with literally zero cards

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

When Bernie wins they're going to take cards away from mythic players to give to bronze and silvers.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej posted:

Hate it when I, person who has spent $200 dollars on magic, don't get free stuff meant for newbies with literally zero cards
Craft more Mu Yanlings about it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I will. The ones from the Planeswalker deck too, just in case

So glad that Adanto Vanguard's persistent trigger lives on in every loving deck with food

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think I've spotted a flaw in this event... They're accidentally skipping the 2nd and 3rd games of a match, making this MUCH less useful for testing purposes. People could exploit this bug to play stupid bullshit that only works when your opponent doesn't know it's coming!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Craft more Mu Yanlings about it

They even made a meme card about it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Reality Sinner posted:

Oh nooo, playing magic for free ohhhhh woe is me.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Sinteres posted:

When Bernie wins they're going to take cards away from mythic players to give to bronze and silvers.

This would rule as a whale who sucks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Today I jammed a lot of games in and I'm jazzed to play MTG again. I know the stated reasons that they have core sets but they always feel so bland and I kind of wander away from the game during them

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Petition to rename the thread

Games › Magic the Gathering Arena: Titled Goose Game

kater
Nov 16, 2010

New cards! Decks filled with faeries and knights and fantasy!

*jams boros aggro*

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So it turns out that having Teferi and Oko in play is incredibly oppressive. It owns. Oko + Hero = 3/3 + whatever I actually cast every turn on a planeswalker that ticks up when doing it, which also owns.

I wish I had a decent mana base though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So it seems like token generation is pushed pretty drat hard in this set. Oko, Garruk, Field of the Dead, if you aren't making at least three power for free every turn you're not really a control deck I guess?

Unfortunately with the meta moving toward red aggro more dominated by rares and mythics than uncommons it might be harder for new players in this set.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 27, 2019

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

A Moose posted:

Magic the Gathering Arena: Unstable Goose Game

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Arglebargle III posted:

So it seems like token generation is pushed pretty drat hard in this set. Oko, Garruk, Field of the Dead, if you aren't making at least three power for free every turn you're not really a control deck I guess?

Unfortunately with the meta moving toward red aggro more dominated by rares and mythics than uncommons it might be harder for new players in this set.

Eh, this is the very first day of release, there are a lot of interactions to figure out. Remember that the 4C Kethis deck didn't appear for what, a full month after M20 came out? There could still be some really gnarly synergies and combos that have yet to be found.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Henge also seems very strong against Cavalcade. Beef on the ground makes their attacks fizzle out quickly, Questing Beast laughs at all their 1/1s and also smashes Chandra, and the Goose and the Henge are great at keeping the life total up

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought they were implementing a smoother sac mechanic for food. Right now it doesn't autotap, doesn't autosac, and then submits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A Moose posted:

I am counting the hours until folks are making Untitled Goose Game x Gilded Goose fanart.

If I could make a request it would be the goose riding a Questing Beast charging after Teferi