Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Anyone went to the 3rd International Scottish Masonic Conference?
If any of all yuh ever in the Caribbean, check me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagazunt
Mar 4, 2018
DC GL assessment is $7. They had a motion to raise it to $21 or $28 (can't remember) but I doubt that passes a vote.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Woo, my last year as secretary started today! T -365 days until I don't have to deal with this poo poo any longer! :)

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Bel Shazar posted:

Woo, my last year as secretary started today! T -365 days until I don't have to deal with this poo poo any longer! :)

You fool, don't you know? Secretary is a lifetime appointment

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

SubnormalityStairs posted:

You fool, don't you know? Secretary is a lifetime appointment

The WM says he wants to sit out a year before becoming Secretary... I'm never getting out of this job...

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
theres a lodge like a block away from me but i never see any cars in the parking lot. should i just knock on the door and be like whats up?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

You should be able to look them up online (by city or by a number on the building/signage, if you can find one). I think my lodge has meetings of some sort every Tuesday at least and I think someone is there most nights doing some thing, even if it's not for very long.

Someone is paying the bills there, so I would assume it's in use for something!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So does "born free" mean "no former slaves"?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

That was the original intent, for better or worse, yeah. The idea was that slaves couldn't be expected to actually swear any oaths because their ultimate allegiance would be to their master. There are some ugly facets of Masonic ritual due to how long it's been around.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

On the other hand I'm getting a new appreciation for the no women thing because my new girlfriend is so jealous of other women that even though she is distrustful of if Freemasonry is a Luciferian cult, at least there are no women there she has to worry about.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Schadenboner posted:

Yes, though the usual out at this point when it comes up with people who've escaped modern slavery is that all men are born free and remain innately free no matter what indignities they are subjected to in life, and therefore a man's status as a former slave is irrelevant.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Brethren,
Please consider a charitable donation to the Bahamas at your next meeting; I'm in contact with the masters of a couple of Bahamian lodges, poo poo is bad. PM me for direct donation details if needed.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Please post any gofundmes or similar and I'll try and get posted on our provincial fbs etc

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Rotarians are already up and running to recieve funds, check https://7020.org/
Will post more masonic linked donation links once I hear from their DGM

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Just filled out the application form to join Freemasons Victoria, the guy I've been speaking with so far firmly believes that becoming a Freemason was the best decision he's ever made. So, uh, here goes, I guess.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Bargearse posted:

Just filled out the application form to join Freemasons Victoria, the guy I've been speaking with so far firmly believes that becoming a Freemason was the best decision he's ever made. So, uh, here goes, I guess.

Our last WM spent a lot of his time down there. Speaks highly of Victoria's masons.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

2nd tools tonight, my longest bit so far. Words are all there but still cackin' it. I'm going to point to the wrong one!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Any thoughts on the IOOF? I know it's tangential to this discussion, but I'm joining this weekend and am excited to receive more light regardless of where it comes from.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

Any thoughts on the IOOF? I know it's tangential to this discussion, but I'm joining this weekend and am excited to receive more light regardless of where it comes from.

I have a couple of friends who are members of both fraternities. From what they say, it's sounds like a watered down version of freemasonry , and was probably a lot more fun 100 years ago.
The guys I'm referring to are the sort who belong to every appendant body possible, and spend 4 to 5 nights per week away from home.
If I recall, they are based in Winston Salem, NC.

I agree with you, as far as sources of light. I'm sure there are rewards waiting for you, if you dig into it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Loomer posted:

Our last WM spent a lot of his time down there. Speaks highly of Victoria's masons.

They contacted me today to see about taking my application further, and I'll be speaking to someone from one of the Ringwood lodges tomorrow. I'm kind of nervous but excited, the masons I've had contact with all say it has been a very positive thing for them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
After a few years away, I think I'm ready to dip my toe back into Masonry. It's really a shame the bad taste that NC Masonry left in my mouth, but I got my dues up to current and can finally start visiting lodges up here in the north.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Looks like I'm sitting in the East for a second straight year and there's a little drama brewing over a brother from Mexico who's grand jurisdiction is all hosed up.

Salmon feed first sunday in October for those in the Seattle area drop me a PM.

How's your september?

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

After a few years away, I think I'm ready to dip my toe back into Masonry. It's really a shame the bad taste that NC Masonry left in my mouth, but I got my dues up to current and can finally start visiting lodges up here in the north.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

NC Masonry has managed to sink a few notches lower since you left. I haven't been able to stomach one of my lodges at all in this climate, and will demit from them at years end. Sad.

Fair_Winds
Feb 26, 2018
I've been wondering if becoming a mason would be a good fit for me. I grew up in a family that was never anti-religion, but never attended church unless someone died. We all functionally believe in a god, but I've never known what holy text we followed. I more importantly, never had a religion placed upon me by my parents. they believe I have the right to decide for myself a religion. I still haven't "chosen" so to say. My Question is Would the lack of being a member of a religion but not lacking in faith and belief in a higher power be a disqualifying factor? Should I figure out what religion best aligns with me since I am seeking to join one before I petition?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Cholmondeley posted:

NC Masonry has managed to sink a few notches lower since you left. I haven't been able to stomach one of my lodges at all in this climate, and will demit from them at years end. Sad.

Yeah, I've kind of noticed that based on Facebook posts and things. Gonna send you a PM since I don't feel good about airing dirty laundry in an open forum.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Fair_Winds posted:

I've been wondering if becoming a mason would be a good fit for me. I grew up in a family that was never anti-religion, but never attended church unless someone died. , but I've never known what holy text we followed. I more importantly, never had a religion placed upon me by my parents. they believe I have the right to decide for myself a religion. I still haven't "chosen" so to say. My Question is Would the lack of being a member of a religion but not lacking in faith and belief in a higher power be a disqualifying factor? Should I figure out what religion best aligns with me since I am seeking to join one before I petition?

You're good to go. "We all functionally believe in a god" is all that should be required in a USA based Masonic Lodge

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

It's way less of a big deal than I thought it would be, or made it out to be. I also thought about whether I fit in with my specific views and angles but you just have to be able to say "yes, I believe in a higher power."

Fair_Winds
Feb 26, 2018
Ah, Well that's good to hear. I'll probably end up filling out the more information page on my state's grand lodge website and figure out where to go from there once I've gotten myself into a new employ.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I’ve just been for a quick tour of the Ringwood Masonic Centre in Melbourne, and the guy I’ve been speaking is going to introduce me to a few lodges that meet there and see which one suits me best.

It’s happening!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
As for the IOOF, the rally day I went to was really enjoyable, and I'd say I got a lot out of the degrees, even if there's some overlap with the Masonic degrees. More light!

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I've been lurking this thread a looooong time and I'm starting to think it's time for me to check out a few local lodges. Do I need to bring anything special to bribe the goat?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Cage Kicker posted:

I've been lurking this thread a looooong time and I'm starting to think it's time for me to check out a few local lodges. Do I need to bring anything special to bribe the goat?

Where are you located?

You could either go to your state's Grand Lodge website and see if you can find a secretary's email to contact first, or if your local lodge has meeting times posted outside, you could just show up and see if you can talk to someone.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

Where are you located?

You could either go to your state's Grand Lodge website and see if you can find a secretary's email to contact first, or if your local lodge has meeting times posted outside, you could just show up and see if you can talk to someone.

Southwestern CT, reasonably close to the sub base. Thank you for the info! I drove by a Masonic center the other day and it made me think after years of lurking maybe I should find out a good time just to go say hello

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Cage Kicker posted:

Southwestern CT, reasonably close to the sub base. Thank you for the info! I drove by a Masonic center the other day and it made me think after years of lurking maybe I should find out a good time just to go say hello

If you don't want to just show up, you can use this which looks like it has a "please contact me" function. Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)

https://ctfreemasons.net/how-to-join/lodge-locator/

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

Looks like you're either near Asylum Lodge or Bay View Masonic Temple

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

So, I've been interested in York Rite for awhile now but I was hesitant to start something I thought I wouldn't be able to finish, my impression being I *had* to be Christian to join the Knights Templar. I had a good chat over email with another brother and looks like I just barely qualify even though I'm not technically Christian! Abusing corner cases FTW!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any NYC Masons ITT? Looking to join a lodge but I could use a rundown on my various options. I reckon the various lodges in the GL building have different focuses and cultures and whatnot.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Bel Shazar posted:

So, I've been interested in York Rite for awhile now but I was hesitant to start something I thought I wouldn't be able to finish, my impression being I *had* to be Christian to join the Knights Templar. I had a good chat over email with another brother and looks like I just barely qualify even though I'm not technically Christian! Abusing corner cases FTW!

In my jurisdiction, it’s not so much that you have to be one, is that one of the orders involves swearing to defend the Christian Faith, which would be kind of awkward for non-Christians.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Emron posted:

In my jurisdiction, it’s not so much that you have to be one, is that one of the orders involves swearing to defend the Christian Faith, which would be kind of awkward for non-Christians.

Yeah, exactly. And even if you justify it to yourself, you're going to be publicly defending the Christian religion, praying to Jesus during meeting, wearing crosses all over your garb. It's not like blue lodge masonry where a nebulous belief in a higher power is good enough.

Not to say you wouldn't get anything out of it. If it works for you, great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm not in York Rite but the historical Templar had non-Christian members. Saladin himself in fact.

Here is a bit on a Templar crypt that I found interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGQIS8Bua2g&t=664s