Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Here’s a question: my partner’s favorite kind of movie is the haunted house, jump scare type of movie like Paranormal Activity and the Conjuring series. These are pretty much the only sub-genre that I don’t enjoy, because I usually just find them boring and lacking any sort of ambition. They’re formulaic, budget friendly pictures that exploit the audience’s desire to be shocked by a surprise, they don’t have to be interesting, y’know?

But she has fun with them so I’d like to watch at least one this season. Anyone have recommendations for some that may be good on their own merits?

If you haven’t seen it Chapter 2 yet, It’s pretty much built exactly like a haunted house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is Shudder Prime hosed up or is One Cut of the Dead really lovely quality?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Neo Rasa posted:

These were also the first ones where instead of even taking place in THE house they're about some object that was originally in the house that someone buys and makes their new home haunted with.

When they started going that route, I wouldn't've been surprised if they had a movie springing from an accursed toilet paper roll dispenser brought from the haunted house.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Anonymous Robot posted:

Here’s a question: my partner’s favorite kind of movie is the haunted house, jump scare type of movie like Paranormal Activity and the Conjuring series. These are pretty much the only sub-genre that I don’t enjoy, because I usually just find them boring and lacking any sort of ambition. They’re formulaic, budget friendly pictures that exploit the audience’s desire to be shocked by a surprise, they don’t have to be interesting, y’know?

But she has fun with them so I’d like to watch at least one this season. Anyone have recommendations for some that may be good on their own merits?
Housebound!

It’s more than a spooky house movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would call It 2017 a haunted house movie, just in how it functions. It’s a lot of jumps, ooga woogas, but at the end you make it out smiling.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

M_Sinistrari posted:

When they started going that route, I wouldn't've been surprised if they had a movie springing from an accursed toilet paper roll dispenser brought from the haunted house.

Amityville: A New Generation (1994) is a particularly noticeable stretch in this regard, but it also has an imo genuinely baller Daniel Licht soundtrack so I give it a pass. Heck I'd say New Generation is worth seeing, it's not great or anything but you can tell an effort was made, and it goes into some heavy handed but almost interesting directions in the second and third acts with how we internalize and make art about stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

david_a posted:

Housebound!

It’s more than a spooky house movie

Going to watch this one soon as I keep forgetting it exists and the season is upon us.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve been wanting to see this forever

It's $2.99 to rent it on Amazon Prime.

Another movie that has hosed me up for life is Rollercoaster. Apparently when I was younger I used to ride Space Mountain and coasters all the time. After I saw this movie (at age 8-9) I've never ridden on one again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Have to quote this a second time sorry because I forgot to mention BLOODY NEW YEAR (1987) which is an absolute must watch for this type of movie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

One Cut of the Dead fuckin' owns, does the whole "really simple idea perfectly executed" thing. I loved it.

But the cover/rip-off of "I want you back" by the Jackson 5 at the end credits is weird.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think that was a SNL thing. There was just a weird time where Garth Brooks lost his mind and called himself Chris Gaines.

I can't find a clip of his actual performance, but Garth Brooks did host and then perform as Chris Gaines on an episode of SNL. I swear I remember the intro to one of the songs where Brooks stood there and introduced the musical guest (himself) and the camera panned over to show Chris Gaines on stage.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/flashback-garth-brooks-hosts-snl-performs-as-chris-gaines-241259/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Part 1 of my Halloween spook a doodle costume showed up. This thing rules. It’s so drat big lmao

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

CelticPredator posted:

I would call It 2017 a haunted house movie, just in how it functions. It’s a lot of jumps, ooga woogas, but at the end you make it out smiling.

The best scenes are literally in a haunted house.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hell House LLC is on my list this year, but I might have to sell her on it because we actually watched the sequel last year (I thought it sounded more interesting than the first,) and it was pretty bad. It has one great image in it though (the scene where the teen that broke into the house is just standing dumbly in the stairwell staring at the viewer,) which to me almost justifies a whole film.

The first one is better overall but it also has one scene that justifies the entire thing and for that I'd recommend it.

Has she seen Ghostwatch?

She might like Grave Encounters. Also, The Exorcist III. My partner has similar tastes as yours and she really liked Ouija 2.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I must catalogue my physical media to get ready for the challenge. Dude Bro Party Massacre III will be in today. It has the highest body count of any horror movie. That was the filmmakers goal.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Slumber Party Massacre was pretty good, and I'm glad I read about its feminist themes before watching, I think I enjoyed it more because of that.

The first episode of Creepshow was really dang good too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
First episode of Creepshow was promising. The first segment has some nice creature effects and the second segment showed they're willing to slow things down a little bit too. I just hope every segment has great actors though, I felt kinda spoiled having Esposito, Bell, and Barbeau all in one segment but hey I wasn't complaining!

The credits opening on a shot of The Crate of course had me all-in right away. Cheap but effective fan service.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I really loved the first episode of Creepshow. The dollhouse segment was creative but its ending kinda fizzled.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I did a Shudder sub for a couple of months last year. What else is on there right now to justify turning it back on for a while?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

I did a Shudder sub for a couple of months last year. What else is on there right now to justify turning it back on for a while?

Train to Busan, One Cut of the Dead, Phantom of the Paradise, Mandy, Knife + Heart, Incident at a Ghostland, The Wailing, Brain Damage, The Changeling, Tenebrae, Boar, Cold Hell, etc. etc. etc.

I could list 50 more but I don't know what you've seen and what you haven't. Lots of stone-cold classics on there.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
How does Shudder via Prime compare to the full site? I used to access Shudder through VRV but they don’t sponsor it anymore. I’d like to sign up for October, but if I’m being honest with myself I’ll use it a lot more often through Prime cause it streams direct to my living room rather than having to rig up my computer and pass it through a Steam box and that whole rigamaroll.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Anonymous Robot posted:

How does Shudder via Prime compare to the full site? I used to access Shudder through VRV but they don’t sponsor it anymore. I’d like to sign up for October, but if I’m being honest with myself I’ll use it a lot more often through Prime cause it streams direct to my living room rather than having to rig up my computer and pass it through a Steam box and that whole rigamaroll.

There's a free through Prime 7 day trial I'm probably gonna use to watch One Cut, so you can gently caress around in it with that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

You get like 90% of the same experience on Prime, it's just that sometimes a rights issue comes up where a movie drops on the Shudder site but isn't available on Prime. Often movies like that do show up on the Prime add-on eventually, just not right away.

It's gotta be the best value of any Prime channel though. $5 for a selection that's easily twice what most of the other channels have, and very little of it is garbage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

Part 1 of my Halloween spook a doodle costume showed up. This thing rules. It’s so drat big lmao

SPOOKY CLOWNS SCARE MEEEEEEE

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

First episode of Creepshow is pretty good. The dollhouse one was ok, but Gray Matter is one of my favorite Stephen King shorts and they did a great adaptation of it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
What is the new Creepshow like in terms of blood/gore? my girlfriend is cool with scary but doesn't like stuff that's too graphic

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

gey muckle mowser posted:

What is the new Creepshow like in terms of blood/gore? my girlfriend is cool with scary but doesn't like stuff that's too graphic

There’s only been one episode so far, one segment has a little gore (more slime and gunk than gore really) and the second segment has basically none.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Blast Fantasto posted:

There’s only been one episode so far, one segment has a little gore (more slime and gunk than gore really) and the second segment has basically none.

Cool, thanks. If it's in the spirit of the film then I'm sure it's fine.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I enjoyed the hell out of Creepshow. Tobin Bell and Giancarlo Esposito playing quiet townsfolk was a nice touch. I thought the doll segment was going to be lame, because I hate "evil doll" horror, but it was actually well done and neat.

I would suggest trying Shudder out through the promo codes. Try SHUDDERBA9 for a free 60 day trial.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 27, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The dollhouse segment also appears to have a reference to Old Chief Woodenhead. I assume we'll get little nods to every original Creepshow/Creepshow 2 segment at some point during the season.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

who would win in a fight stephen king or goku

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Sorry to say this but finally you've asked a dumb question. The entire multiverse is held up by the existence of Stephen King so goku would never harm him.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

escape artist posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of Creepshow. Tobin Bell and Giancarlo Esposito playing quiet townsfolk was a nice touch. I thought the doll segment was going to be lame, because I hate "evil doll" horror, but it was actually well done and neat.

I thought the same about the segment. I never thought I'd be worried over a dolly family like I was with it, even to the point of worrying over the dolly dog.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1691452/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i think goku would win tbh bc stephen king is from maine if u threw away his lobsters hed cry

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Sorry to say this but finally you've asked a dumb question. The entire multiverse is held up by the existence of Stephen King so goku would never harm him.

See the writer of enormous girth

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

King lost a fight with a minivan, so if Goku can beat up a minivan I’d go with him.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kvlt! posted:

Stephen King would start the fight really well, but gently caress up the ending.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Splint Chesthair posted:

King lost a fight with a minivan, so if Goku can beat up a minivan I’d go with him.

you're right goku wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

i think goku would win tbh bc stephen king is from maine if u threw away his cocaine hed cry

Fixed