Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
The company my husband works at got wind of me being an artist, and has now asked me to design a mascot for them. They love the design ideas I showed them! Yay! Next, we'll meet to discuss specifics. My problem is that I've never done anything for an actual company and not just half-broke nerds, so I could use pricing advice. What should I roughly charge a mid-size IT company for a mascot design as well as the full rights to the character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

Last year I got a large format printer for printing out 11x17 sheet music scores. A friend just asked me how much it would cost to print 300qty 7” record sleeves. He would be supplying the paper. I’m not sure how much to charge for that (or anything really), or where to look up standard rates or how to calculate them. Help?

Maybe I'm confused, but this sounds like a friend wants to borrow your printer to print something that he already designed and bought paper for? Just charge him the cost of however many ink cartridges he ends up using, or just tell him to purchase a few beforehand in addition to the paper since 300 copies is going to use up at least a few at high quality settings.

Unless he's asking you to do something that takes substantial amounts of time away from your own life, like designing the record label for him (or if he's more of a "friend" rather than an actual friend), I don't see any reason to charge him more than the cost of materials.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If it's inkjet you're going to chew through cartridges. I have no idea how you'd work it out, beyond "let's do 60 and see what that does to the ink" (charging them for replacements, natch). If you want commercial rates just look for a printshop near you and see what they'd charge.

Honestly, the whole thing sounds like a massive pain in the tits, I'd tell them you can't do 600.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ritznit posted:

The company my husband works at got wind of me being an artist, and has now asked me to design a mascot for them. They love the design ideas I showed them! Yay! Next, we'll meet to discuss specifics. My problem is that I've never done anything for an actual company and not just half-broke nerds, so I could use pricing advice. What should I roughly charge a mid-size IT company for a mascot design as well as the full rights to the character?

Full rights? Can you get a percentage of gross? Though admittedly, how revenue generated by any specific mascot is measured, I haven't the slightest idea.

Also for ink printers running low, remove the cartridge and slosh the ink back and forth slowly a few times, we always got a massively extended life from them that way.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 30, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What websites do any of you use for selling prints?

I've been using ArtStation to build up a portfolio. They have a marketplace where people can order prints/posters/canvases, but I haven't really dabbled in it.

Until I'm financially in a place where I can do limited runs of prints to sell or have my own website, are there better places to put up art and have people buy prints?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Franchescanado posted:

What websites do any of you use for selling prints?

I've been using ArtStation to build up a portfolio. They have a marketplace where people can order prints/posters/canvases, but I haven't really dabbled in it.

Until I'm financially in a place where I can do limited runs of prints to sell or have my own website, are there better places to put up art and have people buy prints?

A lotta my friends use Threadless, which does let you do canvases and prints, since they handle the production end of things you only have to pay costs with money from your orders.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Tubgoat posted:

Full rights? Can you get a percentage of gross? Though admittedly, how revenue generated by any specific mascot is measured, I haven't the slightest idea.

Yeah I'm afraid that's not feasible. This isn't a mascot intended for one specific marketing campaign, it's meant for a product that will be sold to different companies. The mascot is basically meant to be the face of the product. So, I don't think I can ask for a percentage considering the product was going to be sold anyway, and it's hard to determine whether it was the mascot or the actual product features that clinched the deal.

The idea is more that I will give them full rights to the character, and that I will be the person to go to for any extra illustrations of the character. So, I want to be paid for the rights to the character as well as each following illustration, which they will also have full right to use.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Ritznit posted:

Yeah I'm afraid that's not feasible. This isn't a mascot intended for one specific marketing campaign, it's meant for a product that will be sold to different companies. The mascot is basically meant to be the face of the product. So, I don't think I can ask for a percentage considering the product was going to be sold anyway, and it's hard to determine whether it was the mascot or the actual product features that clinched the deal.

The idea is more that I will give them full rights to the character, and that I will be the person to go to for any extra illustrations of the character. So, I want to be paid for the rights to the character as well as each following illustration, which they will also have full right to use.

Well, I can't give you specific pricing info but it sounds like you're on the right track. For full rights, I'd say that even 2x or 3x the price you'd normally charge for repro rights wouldn't be insane. Also make sure to specify in your contract that you have the right of first refusal (pretty sure that's the right term I'm looking for, someone else please correct me if it's wrong) when it comes to producing new artwork of the character or making alterations to the design - you want to have it in writing that the company has to give you the option to produce the new artwork and can only seek out another designer if you are unwilling or unable to take on the work for whatever reasons.

For anyone looking at the thread wondering why full rights transfer would cost more than just reproduction rights when it's the same amount of work on the designer's part (I know I used to wonder that when I was in school): Basically, every right you transfer to the company in full (the right to use it in any media they want, the right to make alterations to the design to suit new uses not present when the initial design was completed, the right to produce new artworks based on the original design, etc.) allows the company to make more money off your original work, without consulting you. The additional money isn't being greedy, it's you offsetting the fact that you're giving the company the ability to make more money off your artwork without your input.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

This might not be right spot, so direct me elsewhere if needed (there aren’t any business threads in Musician’s Lounge, sigh)

I music directed a musical at a college in September/October. Payment was divided into two lump sum checks. Myself and the musicians received our first checks on time. The second was supposed to be mailed the Friday after closing night (two musicians opted to pick theirs up in person). It’s been two weeks and no one’s received their checks. What can I do?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
It’s a bit early to panic. Did you try calling them and asking what’s up?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

readingatwork posted:

It’s a bit early to panic. Did you try calling them and asking what’s up?

Ope, nvm, got mine in the mail yesterday, just hadn’t checked the mail, and a couple others got theirs too

I was concerned because during the show the theatre manager said there were a couple factors often leading to late disbursements

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Let us celebrate an artist getting paid :toot:

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
:krad:

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
I made an art that someone liked, and now they want to use the art on a set of cards they're creating and feature it in a Youtube video. They claim they are only going to share the video with friends and "the community who also play the game" (Magic the Gathering). They claim they do not plan to make money off of it, and it's just a hobby. They also claim that they will credit me.

This was just a piece I made last year that they happened to like, and I wasn't planning on making money off of it anyway. I'm thinking as long as they're not making a profit from it, and they fully credit me, it's fine. It isn't a project that they asked me to work on for free, so it costs me nothing, and to me it's not any worse than re-posting my artwork on another site and crediting me. But does anyone see an issue with this?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Get it in writing that they won't profit and that they'll take it down if you change your mind.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Do you have any idea how many people still play MTG?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
They basically told you, "I only intend to share it with [group of people so vaguely defined as to be useless in guessing how many people it is]."

I would say don't let this person post it online unless it's an image that you're willing to have publicly online, forever. If you're OK with that (and you can be, if you want) then go for it. But MtG isn't exactly an unknown game with a small community, and anyone who sees the image online could potentially save the image and share it further. Or crop your credit off of it. Or upload it to one of a million print-on-demand sites that don't bother checking for copyright when letting people sell prints on them. So there's nothing inherently wrong with having your artwork posted online, just be aware that there's potential for it to spread beyond the intended audience or usage, and if that's potentially a problem then you're better off not giving this person access to your art.

Also, what does this:

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

They claim they do not plan to make money off of it, and it's just a hobby.

mean? This person's hobby is to post other peoples artwork online? Or they play the game as a hobby?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

lofi posted:

Get it in writing that they won't profit and that they'll take it down if you change your mind.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

lofi posted:

Even easier: Attach a creative commons license to it! You want this one: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/

Also, send them an email explaining exactly what it is, and what it means.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Thanks everyone! I got it in writing that they would not profit from it. They're also willing to send me the video once it's done, so I can make sure I got credit.

gmc9987 posted:

They basically told you, "I only intend to share it with [group of people so vaguely defined as to be useless in guessing how many people it is]."

I would say don't let this person post it online unless it's an image that you're willing to have publicly online, forever. If you're OK with that (and you can be, if you want) then go for it. But MtG isn't exactly an unknown game with a small community, and anyone who sees the image online could potentially save the image and share it further. Or crop your credit off of it. Or upload it to one of a million print-on-demand sites that don't bother checking for copyright when letting people sell prints on them. So there's nothing inherently wrong with having your artwork posted online, just be aware that there's potential for it to spread beyond the intended audience or usage, and if that's potentially a problem then you're better off not giving this person access to your art.

Also, what does this:

mean? This person's hobby is to post other peoples artwork online? Or they play the game as a hobby?

I should have clarified. They saw the artwork on my social media, so it's already online. That's the main reason why I didn't think it was a big deal, since I knew that type of stuff was bound to happen. I'm just glad someone asked permission.

They meant they do not make cards as a profession. Creating custom cards is their hobby.

Doctor Zero posted:

Do you have any idea how many people still play MTG?

That part was very vague. I had no idea if they meant the entire MTG community or the community where they play. I don't think it matters though, since, as I wrote above, I already have the image online. As long as they credit me, I'm cool with more people seeing it.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Ahh cool. Glad that worked out for you, the way you wrote the initial post I didn't know the image was already viewable online.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gonna crosspost this in the little questions thread, but I figured here would be a good spot to ask as well.

I'm commissioning my niece to convert an ink drawing I did to a vector file (is this the right term?) so I can have some shirts or stickers printed. I'm not going to sell the stuff, got no plans to license the design, profit from it in any way, or any of that. I just like the drawing and some other people do too, enough to want a sticker or shirt maybe. Anyhow, I'm sending her a scan of the drawing, and she says she should be able to do it in Illustrator pretty easily. She's a junior in an art program at a big university, very good at what she does, extremely hard working, all that. So I want to pay her the appropriate rate, but I'm not entirely sure she'll give me the fair market price since we're family.

So if some rando from the internet emailed you a drawing, said "convert to an image file that could be used with screen printing or vinyl stickers, go hog wild cleaning up whatever you think needs it," what would you charge?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Depends how clean the initial scan is, and how detailed the pic is - the job could be anywhere from 'mash autoconvert' to 'trace everything by hand'

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

lofi posted:

Depends how clean the initial scan is, and how detailed the pic is - the job could be anywhere from 'mash autoconvert' to 'trace everything by hand'

It's a fairly clean scan, but I'm assuming she'll be tracing everything by hand. It's a moderately detailed, but not especially complex line drawing. I don't call myself an artist, but I've put 3-4 hours into it, most of which was tracing new drafts from the first one.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's a fairly clean scan, but I'm assuming she'll be tracing everything by hand. It's a moderately detailed, but not especially complex line drawing. I don't call myself an artist, but I've put 3-4 hours into it, most of which was tracing new drafts from the first one.

If the scan is clean and high-res enough for printing, Illustrator can do a pretty good job of auto-tracing in two colors with a press of a button. I would say to offer an hourly rate of ~$30USD/hr. with a minimum payment of 1 hour. Even if she only has to hit a button to trace it, she's doing you a solid and you sound like someone who values artistic work and not taking advantage of family members so…

And if she has to trace it all by hand for some reason, she won't get shorted out of some money. If you think she won't accept a price that high (which isn't actually that high but students/beginner artists often critically undervalue their work) then maybe don't mention the price to her and just ask how long it took and then shove the money in her hand (or bank account) and run away before she can refuse.

Also nice av, I love that music video so much.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Awesome, thank you. Between this thread and the question thread, yall have given me a good idea. I'll see what she gets back to me with and make sure she gets a little extra on top if what she quotes me seems too low.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Hi, new here. Just a little intro, I am a graphic artist/designer. I have been finding some work on facebook and reddit. I have had no problem getting paid... yet. so far everything is pretty simple and I love doing supplemental work to pay for that adobe cloud subscription. though I would love to do more traditional stuff like murals. :wave:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh my sweet summer child...

If you want to keep getting paid, make sure you have a contract for all your gigs, no matter how small (unless you do already, in which case please ignore me!)

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Any mural artist here?
How do you charge for your work?

Back story:
For a local ma and pa mexican restaurant, I painted a huge mural.... 10ft tall by 25ft long. I told her before I did it it was my first one and we could talk about commission after ( I had doubts) but I blew it away, it was 90 hours at least, but there's no way to know how much longer it took to figure poo poo out. It was really my first painting besides wine and canvas. Yes, I know. she really believed in me.

She paid me 300 prior for a large chalk board mural behind the bar.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Peeches posted:

Any mural artist here?

Back story:
For a local ma and pa mexican restaurant, I painted a huge mural.... 10ft tall by 25ft long. I told her before I did it it was my first one and we could talk about commission after ( I had doubts) but I blew it away, it was 90 hours at least, but there's no way to know how much longer it took to figure poo poo out. It was really my first painting besides wine and canvas. Yes, I know. she really believed in me.

Not a mural artist, but there's a mural being voted on in my area (caveat: idk the size, but prolly 15'+ tall by a lot' wide since it's a city project) and it's 40k$. Someone was complaining about the cost in a neighborhood fb group and a buncha people pushed back citing multiple drafts, specialized materials, renting scaffolding, maintenance afterwards, and an hourly rate of 60$ (which is average/low in Chicago for artists in general). I hope that helps a little

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Jazz Marimba posted:

Not a mural artist, but there's a mural being voted on in my area (caveat: idk the size, but prolly 15'+ tall by a lot' wide since it's a city project) and it's 40k$. Someone was complaining about the cost in a neighborhood fb group and a buncha people pushed back citing multiple drafts, specialized materials, renting scaffolding, maintenance afterwards, and an hourly rate of 60$ (which is average/low in Chicago for artists in general). I hope that helps a little

:eek:

Holy smokes
I was thinking like $600, plus another $300 in food.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Peeches posted:

Any mural artist here?

Back story:

I got paid 8k for a ''mural'' that was just done digitally and printed out at 2m x 8m.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

ravenkult posted:

I got paid 8k for a ''mural'' that was just done digitally and printed out at 2m x 8m.

Wow. That reminds me, I spent weeks on research and revisions too

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oof, you got paid $3/hr, that is ROUGH. If you’re going to charge an hourly rate, look at my previous posts in this thread, I’ve provided links/info about how to calculate your own hourly rate probably a half dozen times.

Mom & pops are good for getting your feet wet, and I hope you took a lot of pictures for your portfolio, but for the number of hours you’re talking about I get the feeling they won’t be able to afford you if you start charging what you should.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

kedo posted:

Oof, you got paid $3/hr, that is ROUGH. If you’re going to charge an hourly rate, look at my previous posts in this thread, I’ve provided links/info about how to calculate your own hourly rate probably a half dozen times.

Mom & pops are good for getting your feet wet, and I hope you took a lot of pictures for your portfolio, but for the number of hours you’re talking about I get the feeling they won’t be able to afford you if you start charging what you should.

A lot of it was testing out to see if I liked it and except for the main concept I had free artistic range. I'm willing to admit it would have taken an experienced artist about half the time. I'm not sure if I would ever attempt this again without help.

I took a ton of pics and video and process but it is hard to photograph because it's in a long narrow corridor.

I'm okay taking lump rather than hourly for this, since I had no idea what to expect.
I'll check out your post on pay. Thank you!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what is generally considered an "appropriate" amount of time to ask for an update from an artist? I recently tried to commission an artist for a single piece and they requested that I send the money on the 29th of June and they'll start working from then. Problem is since then I haven't heard anything else. Not even a confirmation that they got the payment I sent (or if there was somehow a problem on PayPal's end).

I sent them an email about a week later and still got nothing. I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat, but it'd be nice to hear something, even if it's "life stuff came up, commissions are closed/delayed"

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Xun posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what is generally considered an "appropriate" amount of time to ask for an update from an artist? I recently tried to commission an artist for a single piece and they requested that I send the money on the 29th of June and they'll start working from then. Problem is since then I haven't heard anything else. Not even a confirmation that they got the payment I sent (or if there was somehow a problem on PayPal's end).

I sent them an email about a week later and still got nothing. I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat, but it'd be nice to hear something, even if it's "life stuff came up, commissions are closed/delayed"

One week is long enough for them to respond, feel free to send another email at that point. Also how much money are we talking about here? That will generally inform the tone that you should take from here on out.

In any case, professionalism is a two-way street and even a quick response like you mentioned should be pretty standard to a normal, polite inquiry.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I made my first music video recently (well an AMV anyway) and now I've got some folks asking if they can pay me to edit or direct their music videos. I'm just a hobbyist, but if someone wants to pay me to do it I'm totally down.

I guess my question is, what would be reasonable to charge for someone at my level (amateur, hobbyist, still learning a lot of things as i go)? Are there any resources out there i can peruse to get a better idea of what i can expect on the business side of things? Because of where I'm at my instinct is to offer a rough deadline and charge a flat fee based on estimated time to completion or something like that

I've done other generally creative stuff for pay before (writing and music related) so I'm not a total stranger to the very basics of getting paid for work, at least (e.g. not getting stiffed).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Get a contract for the base project and then set an hourly rate for change orders as the project one inevitably spirals out of scope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Get a contract for the base project and then set an hourly rate for change orders as the project one inevitably spirals out of scope

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing i was looking for.