Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think Castle Embereth is my favorite card in the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Holy poo poo this deck might be the most fun deck I've ever played. Just so much loving with your opponent. It completely disrupts almost every deck except Simic Flash. Win condition is casting Doom Foretold and making your opponent sacrifice stuff while you sacrifice useless artifacts/enchantments. You can also have fun using Dance of the Manse to bring everything back by casting with absurd values for X.

Esper Doom
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
3 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
1 Island (ELD) 257
1 Wishclaw Talisman (ELD) 110
3 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
1 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Golden Egg (ELD) 220
4 Guild Globe (WAR) 239
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
1 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
1 Planar Cleansing (M20) 33
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
2 Swamp (ANA) 63
4 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
3 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228
1 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
2 Disenchant (M20) 14
2 Plains (ANA) 61

1 Disfigure (M20) 95
2 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
2 Duress (M20) 97
1 Legion's End (M20) 106
1 Realm-Cloaked Giant (ELD) 26
2 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
1 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212

The only bad thing about it is it uses a lot of weird rares so it might not be worth it to craft. Still, it's immensely satisfying.

edit:

oh its this deck

I can confirm it's hosed up!

edit 2:

I also spent a ton of rare wildcards I've been saving to craft all the dual lands from RNA/GRN/M20. It's so nice seeing decklists and not immediately looking away because I don't have the manabase. I have 3 games left in the play any card event and then after that I guess I'll have to figure out what I want to craft for laddering. I'd craft more but I'm gonna try the whole "do a ton of limited drafts" strategy to get most of the rares.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 27, 2019

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Just had an opponent swing directly into my planeswalker with Questing Beast, two turns in a row :thunk:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

JerryLee posted:

Just had an opponent swing directly into my planeswalker with Questing Beast, two turns in a row :thunk:

They really, really wanted it to be dead

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Is anyone else running into nothing but jeskai walkers? How does this deck exist when questing beast also exists.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

7-1 with my first sealed run, a blue-red 'card draw matters' deck. I would post a decklist but they still don't loving let you look at it after the last win.

It was mainly Improbable Alliance + Steelgaze Griffin + Mad Ratter for the wins.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Did I miss the Fblthp avatar? I was on a work trip the last week... did I need to play or enter a code or something?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Flash is so much fun now, it lost some good counters but gained two ridiculous creatures. I hope it stays tier 1 or 2 but even if it ends up being bad against the meta it will still be really fun to play.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Does everyone get the same renewal bonus cards or did I just 'luck' out?

u lucked!

Eej posted:

Hate it when I, person who has spent $200 dollars on magic, don't get free stuff meant for newbies with literally zero cards

i've only spent $5 gimme the free stuff pls

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Did I miss the Fblthp avatar? I was on a work trip the last week... did I need to play or enter a code or something?

if you've opted into getting promotional stuff, you should get a unique code for fblthp av/sleeves. i signed up at some point after seeing the below post and got the code in my email a couple hours ago

Sinteres posted:

No need to bother support if you want your stats and didn't get the email:

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1177315321847222272

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

gently caress off with this poo poo

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Lone Goat posted:

if you've opted into getting promotional stuff, you should get a unique code for fblthp av/sleeves. i signed up at some point after seeing the below post and got the code in my email a couple hours ago

Thank you!

Also I'm seeing Simic Flash decks with Brazen Borrower- do I really need four loving unsummon mythics for the new iteration? I'm going to stick with just the preservers for now...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does Wizards seriously expect us to believe that Garruk shaves his moustache every day???

Boycott. Now.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Thank you!

Also I'm seeing Simic Flash decks with Brazen Borrower- do I really need four loving unsummon mythics for the new iteration? I'm going to stick with just the preservers for now...

Brazen borrower is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly good though in simic flash (it remains to be been how good that deck is, however). Even though it's a boring as gently caress card, and in no way should have been a mythic rare.

Edit: it's not unsummon, it's Disperse - you can snipe any non-land permanent, which is, again, really good.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 27, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Drewjitsu posted:

Brazen borrower is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly good though in simic flash (it remains to be been how good that deck is, however). Even though it's a boring as gently caress card, and in no way should have been a mythic rare.

That’s what I’ve read everywhere. Every time I try to pilot flash I turn into a simpleton and lose to everything, even though I’ve accumulated all the right cards to make the engine run. All I’m missing from these new lists are the borrowers and I’ve opened zero of those. I’m wondering if it’s worth it because of the whole losing thing plus the meta isn’t settled, but from what it sounds like borrowers are in.

Dammit, wizards!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

That’s what I’ve read everywhere. Every time I try to pilot flash I turn into a simpleton and lose to everything, even though I’ve accumulated all the right cards to make the engine run. All I’m missing from these new lists are the borrowers and I’ve opened zero of those. I’m wondering if it’s worth it because of the whole losing thing plus the meta isn’t settled, but from what it sounds like borrowers are in.

Dammit, wizards!

Try Esper Stax (aka Esper Doom), if you've got the parts for it. With the advent of food, I think that control/midrange decks are very well situated in the meta, and tempo decks might be good right now, with all of the unfocused decks running around, but once things stabilize, I think it's a bad time for tempo and aggro. To say nothing of a good golos/field of the dead deck, or something similar.

Please don't quote this post so I can edit it later when I am hideously wrong.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I have no idea how long it will last, but Oko is loving ridiculous, especially if you get him out on T2 and doubly especially if you're on the play. Anything 3cc or less is in danger of being swapped, anything 4cc or more is in danger of just turning into a goddamn elk. Questing Beast? If it doesn't connect, then it turns into an Elk. Great Henge? Turned into an Elk. Literally any creature or artifact that is worse than a vanilla 3/3 just becomes a vanilla 3/3. And if there's no creature, then you can make a bunch of Food to say gently caress you to burn, or slowly roll out vanilla 3/3s of your own. Like you absolutely need Murderous Rider, Bedevil, or uh, Spark Harvest? to deal with Oko. Holy poo poo what a card.

And yeah adding lil Tef and Hero just feels mean.

This is what I've been playing. Doesn't feel optimized yet. I think I need to replace the Guardmages with something and even the Maraleafs are occasionally a pain in the rear end to cast, although both do create an alternative win condition of just hitting them in the air. I'm sorta tempted to see how a Superfriends-esque deck would work, using Dovin as another token generator instead of the Guardmages or using Tamiyo to recur anything/dig, but Tamiyo runs the problem of being a bit too slow and realistically I'm just thinking of Turbofog. Nissa is also only just okay, primarily used to power out Krasis.

4 Hero of Precinct One (RNA) 11
1 Plains (ANA) 61
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
4 Forest (ANA) 65
3 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
3 Elite Guardmage (WAR) 195
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
4 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Oko, Thief of Crowns (ELD) 197
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
4 Maraleaf Pixie (ELD) 196
1 Island (ANA) 62

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chadzok posted:

7-1 with my first sealed run, a blue-red 'card draw matters' deck. I would post a decklist but they still don't loving let you look at it after the last win.

It was mainly Improbable Alliance + Steelgaze Griffin + Mad Ratter for the wins.

The more I see that goes into this deck, the more I like it for the event next week. No overwhelming combo, just tons and tons of synergy.

Edit: Biggest requirement is just having enough in hand to kill or stop Narset.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 27, 2019

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.channelfireball.com/art...2233.1476816515

Some Mengucci brews. The b/g deck which is all rares/mythics asides from basics and paradise druids looks strong.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
It might only be day one but I'm super happy with how Eldraine fits into standard and how things play. I ran into most of the deck archetypes running around and it all felt petty balanced and no deck was really unfun to play against, unlike the last few months where there wasn't much you could do about Scapeshift.

Now we just need the drafts to unlock to see how this set drafts, but I'm pretty optimistic.

Edit: my biggest complaint is the cosmetics aren't the alternate art/frame cards. Those are dope and way better than the parallax cosmetic. It's cool enough I would actually consider spending $$$ on it if it was offered.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 27, 2019

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I just picked up mtga last weekend, so all these sick deck ideas are super welcome for the every card event. But uh...I'm kinda bad at this game, so are there any sweet decks that aren't hard control?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

!amicable posted:

I just picked up mtga last weekend, so all these sick deck ideas are super welcome for the every card event. But uh...I'm kinda bad at this game, so are there any sweet decks that aren't hard control?

Yes, but the usual aggro deck (mono red) is unturned at the moment and requires a bunch of mythics.

Even the b/r aggro deck has a ton of rares in it.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah the rares are going to be a problem for new players, it depends on how the meta shakes out but theres a ton of powerful ELD rares and mythics so it may be hard to get people to the top tier of decks.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Gruul Oww Oof My Booones:

4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
3 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
3 Skarrgan Hellkite (RNA) 114
4 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
4 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
2 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
7 Mountain (M20) 276
4 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
10 Forest (M20) 280
2 Embercleave (ELD) 120
4 Domri, Anarch of Bolas (WAR) 191
3 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
2 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215

3 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
2 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
3 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
3 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148

Not totally sold on Robber of the Rich and Embercleave and they're mythics. Might try Stonecoil Serpent? Any good two drops?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

!amicable posted:

Try playing around with the NPE decks till you find one you like. They're not going to win you a tournament or anything but they're pretty decent as a jumping off point and can get you exposed to what colors you like to play.

Early on don't focus on wins just focus on trying to pilot the deck properly and make the right plays. If you feel like you're doing that then you can worry about more iffy calls and whether you're winning. Piloting correctly and learning from your mistakes will get you farther in Magic than crafting a tier one deck and piloting it brainlessly.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

axeil posted:

Try playing around with the NPE decks till you find one you like. They're not going to win you a tournament or anything but they're pretty decent as a jumping off point and can get you exposed to what colors you like to play.

Early on don't focus on wins just focus on trying to pilot the deck properly and make the right plays. If you feel like you're doing that then you can worry about more iffy calls and whether you're winning. Piloting correctly and learning from your mistakes will get you farther in Magic than crafting a tier one deck and piloting it brainlessly.

I've played all the NPE decks quite a bit, and they are all interesting. I just want to play some crazy poo poo since I can get in 12 games with whatever cards. I'm totally fine playing Out for Blood forever, but if I have the option to trade elks and food around, I mean, hey, could be cool!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spiderdrake posted:

Craft more Mu Yanlings about it

Cramming Mu Yanlings in my elemental sideboards cause aggro can't do poo poo about her nowadays aside from Fry

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Wait the Oko 3/3 ability is a plus??
That's loving broken, surely.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

!amicable posted:

I've played all the NPE decks quite a bit, and they are all interesting. I just want to play some crazy poo poo since I can get in 12 games with whatever cards. I'm totally fine playing Out for Blood forever, but if I have the option to trade elks and food around, I mean, hey, could be cool!

If you're willing to set up dummy accounts you can do this as much as you want until 8AM PST 10/1.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
That doom deck is right up my alley.

Also drat, witch's oven + cauldron familiar is actually pretty insane.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Just logged in and got a Cauldron of Eternity but I can't quite understand how it works.

It seems reliant on golgari graveyard filling but when you then play it you can no longer place creatures in your graveyard?

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

You can't get creatures back into the graveyard from the battlefield while you have the cauldron, but it doesn't stop you getting stuff into the 'yard through other means, like discard or self-mill.
It's to stop you from just recurring the same big critter over and over again.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ptroll posted:

You can't get creatures back into the graveyard from the battlefield while you have the cauldron, but it doesn't stop you getting stuff into the 'yard through other means, like discard or self-mill.
It's to stop you from just recurring the same big critter over and over again.

It seems like it could be really disgusting with Arkbow provided you have a decent amount of ramp and some lifegain.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Boros is really fun right now. Had some really insane games. One game I used only Castle Embereth, Castle Ardenvale, and Outlaws Merriment to shut down Nissa somehow. Another I had a mono-g opponent with the absolute nuts, Yorvo into Questing into Ferox into Ferox, and my entire game was Angel of Grace, Angel of Grace into Tenth District and Tajic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah i already really hate mono-green with yorvo

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I have no idea how long it will last, but Oko is loving ridiculous, especially if you get him out on T2 and doubly especially if you're on the play. Anything 3cc or less is in danger of being swapped, anything 4cc or more is in danger of just turning into a goddamn elk. Questing Beast? If it doesn't connect, then it turns into an Elk. Great Henge? Turned into an Elk. Literally any creature or artifact that is worse than a vanilla 3/3 just becomes a vanilla 3/3. And if there's no creature, then you can make a bunch of Food to say gently caress you to burn, or slowly roll out vanilla 3/3s of your own. Like you absolutely need Murderous Rider, Bedevil, or uh, Spark Harvest? to deal with Oko. Holy poo poo what a card.

And yeah adding lil Tef and Hero just feels mean.

This is what I've been playing. Doesn't feel optimized yet. I think I need to replace the Guardmages with something and even the Maraleafs are occasionally a pain in the rear end to cast, although both do create an alternative win condition of just hitting them in the air. I'm sorta tempted to see how a Superfriends-esque deck would work, using Dovin as another token generator instead of the Guardmages or using Tamiyo to recur anything/dig, but Tamiyo runs the problem of being a bit too slow and realistically I'm just thinking of Turbofog. Nissa is also only just okay, primarily used to power out Krasis.

4 Hero of Precinct One (RNA) 11
1 Plains (ANA) 61
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
4 Forest (ANA) 65
3 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
3 Elite Guardmage (WAR) 195
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
4 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Oko, Thief of Crowns (ELD) 197
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
4 Maraleaf Pixie (ELD) 196
1 Island (ANA) 62

I tried this and kept getting rolled from mana problems. I think Paradise Druids instead of either the maraleafs or the growth spiral might be the way to go.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
After a good first sealed pool and an okay second one (both on the backs of commons/uncommons, never got more than 2 rares playable in the same deck) my third pool is truly loving garbage. 3 good rares but 2 of them are in basically unplayable colors due to the lack of cards in them. Absolutely not a single good 40-card deck in there. There are maybe two good decks with ~33 - 35 cards and some filler that isn't bad but completely doesn't suit the deck's gameplan. I don't even have enough low-drops for a makeshift aggro deck to salvage things, and I have about 0 good control cards so I can't just make some value thing either (I still tried and got dumpstered in game 2).

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How / does Kefnet's copy ability work with adventures? Are they creature cards first, so they don't count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

After a good first sealed pool and an okay second one (both on the backs of commons/uncommons, never got more than 2 rares playable in the same deck) my third pool is truly loving garbage. 3 good rares but 2 of them are in basically unplayable colors due to the lack of cards in them. Absolutely not a single good 40-card deck in there. There are maybe two good decks with ~33 - 35 cards and some filler that isn't bad but completely doesn't suit the deck's gameplan. I don't even have enough low-drops for a makeshift aggro deck to salvage things, and I have about 0 good control cards so I can't just make some value thing either (I still tried and got dumpstered in game 2).

followup: lol I just tried throwing together a decent aggro deck for game 3 in desperation and my opponent literally had lethal on t4.