Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

here's your regular reminder that Buff Bagwell is associated with one of the greatest themes in the history of professional wrestling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7awnRAdbPk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Venomous posted:

here's your regular reminder that Buff Bagwell is associated with one of the greatest themes in the history of professional wrestling

IF THEY WANT TO TALK, YOU BETTER NOT LISTEN

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

Absolutely, this is up there with the Fabulous Rougeaus & The Quebecers (two French-Canadians who can't sing singing that they aren't the Mounties is very good)

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i've seen buff bagwell at the grocery store twice in my life and both times he had one of those big-rear end tubs of pretzel sticks

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Low Desert Punk posted:

buff bagwell has a podcast? you listen to buff bagwell's podcast?

i am not judging, because now i listen buff bagwell's podcast. Googling it now

buff bagwell's podcast
Several weeks back, someone linked me with a timestamp to when he had Shane Douglas on and they talked about being sent by Bill Watts to what seemed like a fetish photoshoot where they kept putting a gun in each other's mouth.

Really.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

davidbix posted:

Several weeks back, someone linked me with a timestamp to when he had Shane Douglas on and they talked about being sent by Bill Watts to what seemed like a fetish photoshoot where they kept putting a gun in each other's mouth.

Really.

mr. bix i would appreciate a link to said timestamp for this hot madness

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

davidbix posted:

Really.

lmao

also, good roller derby chat on WOR. Always a treat

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Fumi Saito’s HoF podcast is gonna give me a stroke. Everyone over forty should get in, every under needs to wait.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Bryan’s wrong about the fatal thing right? They’ve probably misused it for matches in the past (including WM2000), but in modern use it denotes one fall to a finish?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bryan has had maybe four hours sleep over the last few days so some benefit of doubt to the man

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
*Bryan voice* are you kiddin me? Get outta here

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

bix i know you are big on the twitter now and whatnot but please do the needful i was reading your poo poo back when you were posting on a green board for free obvs. that does not entitle me to jackshit but i would very much enjoy to hear more of this bizzare buff bagwell/"the franchise" sexual escapade

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
bix write slash fic for deadspin

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
The best wrestling theme is this one and any other answer other than this one is wrong:
https://youtu.be/_t9f1xyAPPw

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So much roller derby chat this morning.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Buff on Austin's podcast is kind of amazing because it's like an hour solid of him bragging about all the drugs he did but no one knew because he was really good at it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

lost my old email posted:

bix i know you are big on the twitter now and whatnot but please do the needful i was reading your poo poo back when you were posting on a green board for free obvs. that does not entitle me to jackshit but i would very much enjoy to hear more of this bizzare buff bagwell/"the franchise" sexual escapade
I was trying to remember who sent it to me.

It's at 44:20 of this episode: https://buffandboochcast.podbean.com/e/the-franchise-shane-douglas/

(Yes, his show is "The Buff & Booch Cast" and they have it set up to have a public download counter.)

Not surprisingly, given Buff's involvement and the story, there's some homophobia, but it still needs to be heard because they're clearly telling the truth and it's a loving *wild* story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm with Vincent Verhei, I wanna hear Korn do a cover of HBK's theme song. :colbert:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
They did such a good job with Another Brick in the Wall, so yeah that sounds like a banger waiting to happen.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i love both the B&V Show and fantasy football and these belt segments are just death on radio

and simpervive has become even more smarmy and irritating somehow. just replace him full-time with Valley

Low Desert Punk fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 25, 2019

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

davidbix posted:

I was trying to remember who sent it to me.

It's at 44:20 of this episode: https://buffandboochcast.podbean.com/e/the-franchise-shane-douglas/

(Yes, his show is "The Buff & Booch Cast" and they have it set up to have a public download counter.)

lives up to the hype

edit: woah it gets problematic calm yourself buff

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

lost my old email posted:

lives up to the hype

edit: woah it gets problematic calm yourself buff
Yeeeeaaaah that part wasn't great even if the actual story was.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I will literally always pop for Dave bringing up 90210

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As someone who's never watched WCW, I've been listening to these B&V Nitro recaps for years and I don't think I've ever been able to follow these storylines at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JT Smiley posted:

As someone who's never watched WCW, I've been listening to these B&V Nitro recaps for years and I don't think I've ever been able to follow these storylines at all.

That's okay, most of us who watched it as it happened couldn't understand what was going on either, I'm pretty sure a large number of the wrestlers didn't have any clue, and I'm fairly certain Vince Russo was equally as confused half the time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

That's okay, most of us who watched it as it happened couldn't understand what was going on either, I'm pretty sure a large number of the wrestlers didn't have any clue, and I'm fairly certain Vince Russo was equally as confused half the time.

“Bro I’m such a genius even I don’t know what’s gonna happen!”

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Even during it's two year really good period none of the storylines in WCW made sense

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

JT Smiley posted:

The story of David Flair being:

a pampered kid who was being elevated far beyond his level due to his father,

suddenly becoming a violent psychotic man, hanging out with crowbar, dating Daffney and winning tag titles (and a mini feud with the maestro?)

being seduced by Stacy Keibler, cheating on Daffney

Back to psychotic after Stacy revealing someone else impregnated her

Like it's not an awful start to a wrestling career, but it's astounding to hear how often B&V talk about how he had potential but they never really let him develop, just put him on TV ludicrously before he was ready.

Yeah I love listening through the attitude era trying to understand anything that's happening.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

“Bro I’m such a genius even I don’t know what’s gonna happen!”

‘What you don’t undahstand, is that... you don’t hafta undahstand!”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Wazzu posted:

The story of David Flair being:

a pampered kid who was being elevated far beyond his level due to his father,

suddenly becoming a violent psychotic man, hanging out with crowbar, dating Daffney and winning tag titles (and a mini feud with the maestro?)

being seduced by Stacy Keibler, cheating on Daffney

Back to psychotic after Stacy revealing someone else impregnated her

Like it's not an awful start to a wrestling career, but it's astounding to hear how often B&V talk about how he had potential but they never really let him develop, just put him on TV ludicrously before he was ready.

Yeah I love listening through the attitude era trying to understand anything that's happening.

Retroactively these recap shows have made Sid, David Flair, David Arquette and Tank Abbott awesome.

Conversely they buried Juventud Guerrera, Al Snow and Blitzkrieg.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The B&V shows have definitely given me a greater appreciation for Sid

They also reaffirmed my long-held childhood belief that Al Snow always loving sucked

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JT Smiley posted:

there really arent a lot of really good long term storylines in WCW at all

like the closest you get in the Nitro era was Sting vs Hogan, and that was basically a year of Sting dropping from the rafters and beating up the nWo until Starrcad

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

there really arent a lot of really good long term storylines in WCW at all

like the closest you get in the Nitro era was Sting vs Hogan, and that was basically a year of Sting dropping from the rafters and beating up the nWo until Starrcad

Hey dont ignore War Games and Lex STIIIIIIIIIINGER then the Stick It promo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

Hey dont ignore War Games and Lex STIIIIIIIIIINGER then the Stick It promo

Sting delivering the whole promo with his back to the hard cam, addressing the fans directly, was such a brilliant little touch that I didn't even notice until long after the fact.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
actually a fun through line that Brian has mostly been ignoring since June is this (though he somewhat brought it up this week)

in January 1999, Giant Baba who was the long time owner and promoter of All Japan passed away. Due to political friction between the company president Misawa and owner Motoko Baba (Giant's wife), Misawa ends up leaving the company in May 2000 and forming PW Noah.

A lot of All Japan's roster followed Misawa, some stayed, and a few took a neutral options and didn't join either or retired.

one of those people who retired was a man named Johnny

Johnny had connections to WCW and NWA and got himself a job working as a backstage WCW agent

since the 2 main WCW producers in Bischoff and Russo were already fighting and falling apart, Johnny started amassing influence backstage quickly in June

when Russo left following Bash at the Beach he had enough sway to run the booking committee , Johnny booked the good US Heavyweight TItle Tournament that Lance won and generally is why Lance got over so goddamned much in his early going

later on when Russo came back, he would play second fiddle up until Russo finally quits for good, after which he ends up lead booking the company through the dead cat bounce that is well regarded

WWF was impressed with him and he was kept on as a backstage producer when WCW got sold and he moved up the ranks in Talent relations...

I think everyone knows where this ends

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
oh in case anyone is wondering where we are in terms of WCW timeline for the retro show

it's time

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

oh in case anyone is wondering where we are in terms of WCW timeline for the retro show

it's time

loving nice

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

actually a fun through line that Brian has mostly been ignoring since June is this (though he somewhat brought it up this week)

in January 1999, Giant Baba who was the long time owner and promoter of All Japan passed away. Due to political friction between the company president Misawa and owner Motoko Baba (Giant's wife), Misawa ends up leaving the company in May 2000 and forming PW Noah.

A lot of All Japan's roster followed Misawa, some stayed, and a few took a neutral options and didn't join either or retired.

one of those people who retired was a man named Johnny

Johnny had connections to WCW and NWA and got himself a job working as a backstage WCW agent

since the 2 main WCW producers in Bischoff and Russo were already fighting and falling apart, Johnny started amassing influence backstage quickly in June

when Russo left following Bash at the Beach he had enough sway to run the booking committee , Johnny booked the good US Heavyweight TItle Tournament that Lance won and generally is why Lance got over so goddamned much in his early going

later on when Russo came back, he would play second fiddle up until Russo finally quits for good, after which he ends up lead booking the company through the dead cat bounce that is well regarded

WWF was impressed with him and he was kept on as a backstage producer when WCW got sold and he moved up the ranks in Talent relations...

I think everyone knows where this ends

drat I didn't know Johnny Smith did so much good work for WCW

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WHAT WAS DAVE DOING WHEN HE WAS 35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

WHAT WAS DAVE DOING WHEN HE WAS 35
most of the joshi he met