Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Serf posted:

lol the clown protesters have "eat the rich" signs. they're going to cast anti-capitalists as terrorists y'all

Those clowns in antifa are at it again, what a bunch of clowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

get that OUT of my face posted:

didn't they do the same thing with Dark Knight Rises

Dark Knight Rises had all that sad music when the billionaires were getting lynched by the proles and here I was drunk as a monkey at the theater just hooting and hollering.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

Gonna make the incredibly LF argument that hand-drawn animation is more ideologically pure than CGI since it does not intend for any kind of realism the way digital does and therefore does not create a substitute reality of which to escape and not engage with capitalism in. Nah, not really, but CGI is so rigid and I'm so pissed that it's become the de facto choice of animation in the West. It's a big reason I like anime even though most of it is the same formula over and over with very little surprise to it or just outright dumb fetish poo poo. But drat does it move better in motion if it has enough budget than the latest Pixar crap.

lol a ton of anime is CG, they just space out the animated frames so its motion maintains a resemblance to hand drawn animation. it's exactly the technique used in enter the spiderverse. CGI is just a tool and it is much less of a threat to good art than, say, media consolidation

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I watched The Princess & The Frog on Netflix recently because I'd never seen it before and it's really some poo poo. Doing a story set in New Orleans during the 1930s while subsuming all hints of racial animus is peak Disney whitewashing. The closest it gets to acknowledging the historical reality is when the realtors tell Tiana that she lost the bid on the lot for her dream restaurant because of her "background." You could assume that's because she's black, but narratively it reads that she's poor. If you're going to ignore all the racial politics of the South in the 20s while trying to tell a story about black people, then the only way to do it is if there aren't any whites.

That's before we even get to the blatant class war. Doctor Facilier is only a bad guy because he resents rich people and wants to be rich himself. Same for Prince Naveen's fat English butler, who resents being treated like a slave his whole life and wants to turn the tables. Meanwhile Big Daddy, the white land baron of New Orleans is one of the good guys. Also, in my brain I knew I should hate Big Daddy for being a capitalist, but I had to like him because he was voiced by John Goodman. A dirty trick, imo.

On top of all of that it uncritically reconstructs the domestic ideology of pre-2000s Disney films. Tiana's dream of honoring her dead WW1 vet father by realizing his restaurant is treated as delusional. What she really needs is a loving relationship with a good man. So it's real convenient that in the end she gets to have both based on the mere technicality that when she frog marries Naveen she legally becomes a princess. So the movie undermines the ambitions of its own protagonist and its central theme at the same time by insisting you should be able to have both - even if you didn't really want it before. What a loving mess.

Still some of the music is good, and it's visually one of the most interesting Disney movies. I wouldn't recommend showing it to your kids or a niece/nephew unless you're willing to contextualize it for them at some point. It's just some dumb Disney bullshit. This was supposed to be Disney's send up for black girls and it still managed to be one of the most problematic films they've ever made, circa 2009.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0lSoHNmMTA

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

honestly, I'm not attracted to Western animation anymore

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol a ton of anime is CG, they just space out the animated frames so its motion maintains a resemblance to hand drawn animation. it's exactly the technique used in enter the spiderverse. CGI is just a tool and it is much less of a threat to good art than, say, media consolidation

the frames in anime are also at a lower rate because it's cheaper to produce that way.

still there's something about animating on 2s in anime or western animation that seems fine, but when you apply it to cgi it dips into the uncanny valley. maybe it's just that watching live action at 24fps conditions you to expect 3D objects in a 3D space to have the same kind of fluidity of motion. Having a lower frame rate for animation works because each frame is already abstracted by its art style, so when you do something similar for CGI the characters are simultaneously too abstracted and too realistic. Spiderverse seems to avoid the problem because its art direction gives a textured depth to all of its characters. Maybe it's just that anime has forms that are too abstracted to really translate into 3D seamlessly.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 17:29 on Sep 26, 2019

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
In post scarcity star trek future I want to open a free restaurant like cisco's dad.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ikanreed posted:

In post scarcity star trek future I want to open a free restaurant like cisco's dad.

i remember watching a video where a guy trying to figure out the economics of star trek was like "if star trek was truly communist, then small businesses like sisko's dad's restaurant wouldn't exist"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Serf posted:

i remember watching a video where a guy trying to figure out the economics of star trek was like "if star trek was truly communist, then small businesses like sisko's dad's restaurant wouldn't exist"

"Ugh, cooking reduced to mere art for art's sake"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new season of Peaky Blinders is so loving good, it's about a bunch of criminals who just made it big as the fascists try to come in power in Britain. Definitely worth a watch, I'm 5 episodes in and it's loving shocking

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1177327021015339014

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

don't kink shame

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Jenny Agutter posted:

It's true, and a lot of the animation we consider hand-drawn like Beauty and the Beast and Lion King have a ton of CGI, but to go back to what Pener Kropoopkin said where he blamed Princess and the Frog killed hand-drawn, that's not really the case, it was a revival done for nostalgia of the hand-drawn animation studio that got killed after Home On the Range, and the all-in on CGI versus hand-drawn kept a lot of the hybrids we see work in anime and 90s Disney from sticking around when that was the medium at its best. And that is the irritating issue of capitalism, where for all this nostalgia in content, they abhor nostalgia in medium and make sure to kill mediums thoroughly every twenty years, be it CDs or hand-drawn animation or whatnot, to force consumption. Even these live-action remakes, while a way to keep copyright around, or also a way to generate pressure for parents to get their kids the newest Lion King instead of just showing their kids original. And from a purely humanist perspective, that's a hit to art because, as Lion King showed, some medium is the best for the content and it's not always the newest one.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Doesn't Disney also intentionally create an artificial scarcity for its original properties? They'd only issue limited prints of animated movies for a year or two, then they'd "go back in the vault" just to keep up an ambient market demand.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Doesn't Disney also intentionally create an artificial scarcity for its original properties? They'd only issue limited prints of animated movies for a year or two, then they'd "go back in the vault" just to keep up an ambient market demand.

Yes, that's how Disney home releases worked, until their plan for Disney+ came out cause I guess they realized people will pay them continually for that content instead of once every format change

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i bet sisco's dad's restaurant was amazing too

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Serf posted:

lol in light of replicators communism is the only system under which sisko's dad's restaurant could exist

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

Even these live-action remakes, while a way to keep copyright around, or also a way to generate pressure for parents to get their kids the newest Lion King instead of just showing their kids original.

youve got this backwards a major reason why disney is making these remakes is to enshrine the originals as peak disney artform demand for the original versions spike on the secondary distribution market whenever a new movie comes out any conversation about remakes effectively preposits that the originals were perfect even when the reviews are negative lion king is straight up royalist propaganda its lead character is an immature dickhead and the only tangible reason why he should take power is because everyones acting like scar caused the drought somehow absolutely no reviews noticed how horribly out of step these ideas are in an era where aristocrats arent fetishized as much as they were in the nineties because everyone was so fixated on the apparent lack of originality in the remake

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Sep 27, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

anyway apropos of dark knight rises chat ive always really liked this alternate premise for a third nolan batman movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ioQP1XU3s

basically in this version the harvey dent act didnt work and crimes getting worse the feds caught on to how the gotham police obviously dont actually want to catch batman so they send in fbi agent edward nigma to get the job done and his plan consists of escalating gang wars until batman is so exhausted he starts making mistakes

it builds off of the actual good parts of dark knight namely the true crime detective work and joker calling out batman and harvey dents hypocrisy but evidently nolan didnt think those elements were interesting since for the actual dark knight sequel he dips back into the bullshit league of assassins stuff and simply lets the harvey dent act magically solve gothams crimes problem even though its never clearly described what the harvey dent act actually does and what little detail we do get suggests that its outrageously fascist

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the pride blames Scar for the drought, much like a certain other misunderstood world leader...

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the pride blames Scar for the drought, much like a certain other misunderstood world leader...

Mao?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyone have the lowdown on the Joker outrage thing? My sniff test tells me its an astroturf thing to sell tickets through controversy but I cant muster enough care to investigate a superhero movie

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Some Guy TT posted:

lion king is straight up royalist propaganda its lead character is an immature dickhead and the only tangible reason why he should take power is because everyones acting like scar caused the drought

well, yeah, it's ripping off of shakespeare but forgets that hamlet kinda deserves to die in the end

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lion king is most definitely not ripping off shakespeare that was a myth circulated by disney to detract from the fact that they were actually ripping off kimba the white lion a property that has effectively been memory holed in the american market to preserve the lion kings unique iconic status

like a surprisingly large number of lion kings most iconic shots come straight from kimba and almost all of the characters in kimba have a direct analog to lion king compare that to hamlet where character similarities are vague at best and serve entirely different narrative functions mufasa dies on screen and is a cool dude hamlets dad dies before the play even starts and is kind of an rear end in a top hat timon and pumbaa are wacky comedic relief sidekicks while rosencrantz and guildenstern are a couple of chumps who hamlet doesnt even like very much ophelias whole thing is that she goes bonkers and commits suicide nala doesnt do anything even remotely resembling that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Hunchback of Notre Dame could be a legit great movie if they'd just cut out the gargoyles. There's a fan cut of that on youtube and it's like a completely different movie without all the anachronistic comedy relief.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame could be a legit great movie if they'd just cut out the gargoyles. There's a fan cut of that on youtube and it's like a completely different movie without all the anachronistic comedy relief.

same but for the two black caricature robots in Transformers

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Control Volume posted:

Anyone have the lowdown on the Joker outrage thing? My sniff test tells me its an astroturf thing to sell tickets through controversy but I cant muster enough care to investigate a superhero movie

pretty sure it's all just "joker is an incel meme, joker is a loser in the trailer, therefore,"

edit:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this sounds cool and i love weird edits, got a link?

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 07:38 on Sep 27, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

then youll love heston of the apes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Peanut President posted:

this sounds cool and i love weird edits, got a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK7S32JIaFU

It's broken up into a whole playlist to avoid getting flagged.

e: ok I guess this playlist does still have the gargoyles :shrug:

It's out there somewhere.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Sep 27, 2019

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

gradenko_2000 posted:

same but for the two black caricature robots in Transformers

no it was still have been bad just not as racist

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qm9TKjBPnk

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

someones awfully confident that bernie wont become president and destroy the entire premise of their reality show overnight

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's pure bootstraps ideology. amazed something this tone-deaf and brazen is getting broadcast but i probably shouldn't be

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i liked the part where the guy does a facepalm because of the person with a dozen credit cards there being of course all sorts of more financially efficient ways to deal with tens of thousands of dollars of student loan debt

the overly frustrated guy who appeared to be selling his car was another high point gotta wonder how hes going to get to work without it

and of course the bit right at end about how when theyre done the guests will be on the road to financial freedom the problem wont actually be solved but they can maybe solve it themselves in ten years if theyre lucky

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Control Volume posted:

a bunch of morons with twitter checkmarks decided back in April that Joker was a comic book movie for incels based on the trailer, and they haven't shut up about it since even though it's a couple weeks from released. it's less an astroturf campaign as it is a self-fulfilling prophecy

coathat
May 21, 2007

It’s a pretty good insight into how that class views the poor.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

coathat posted:

It’s a pretty good insight into how that class views the poor.
it's more than just that. i think that a big reason why it's gotten such a visceral reaction from culturally liberal people on Twitter is because they believe that pop culture, especially superhero movies, caters specifically to them and nobody else. stuff like Wonder Woman and Black Panther are perfect examples of that. so when they feel that Joker doesn't appeal to them, they feel like it's for the other, less deserving audience

simply put, it's elitism. they don't want to feel like they don't dominate pop culture, which has been their last bastion of cultural relevance up to now

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://twitter.com/rororonana/status/1176973628920885248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Percelus posted:

no it was still have been bad just not as racist

https://youtu.be/FTnIHgblez0