Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Speaking of Adkins, I watched Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning a few days ago. That was a drat fine movie. Brutal fights, a few really nice fire effects and the story was way more interesting than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Popelmon posted:

Speaking of Adkins, I watched Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning a few days ago. That was a drat fine movie. Brutal fights, a few really nice fire effects and the story was way more interesting than I expected.

the previous Universal Soldier movie was really good too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Regeneration is good, but it's a lot lower-key than DoR.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Regeneration is good, but it's a lot lower-key than DoR.

It's also a really good commentary on action movies.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Do the new Rambo came out today? I feel like I haven't heard anything about it despite being a person who has seen 4 Rambos

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

Do the new Rambo came out today? I feel like I haven't heard anything about it despite being a person who has seen 4 Rambos

It looks terrible

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
In hindsight, the only truly Great Rambo movie was First Blood. Even Rambo (2008) only has the gore going for it, the climactic shootout is a mess. Pitting Rambo against generic Cartel Thugs just sounds boring and racist, but I guess it adds another layer to the Rambo series’ weird political decline.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't know if this was just someone's wishful thinking, but I had read rumors at one point that the new Rambo was going to be him defending is farm from white supremacists. Which would have been cool instead of what appears to be the exact opposite.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Watched Avengement last night. That movie kicks rear end.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Blast Fantasto posted:

I don't know if this was just someone's wishful thinking, but I had read rumors at one point that the new Rambo was going to be him defending is farm from white supremacists. Which would have been cool instead of what appears to be the exact opposite.

That would indeed be better than Taken: Rambo.
Watched the movie yesterday and... it's bad

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rambo(2008) at least had a pretty solid Stallone performance in it. I wonder if he is still capable of doing that 10+ years later. He was really good in Creed so I guess it's possible.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It's the haircut that throws me off. I know it's probably stupid and who cares, but with that haircut he just doesn't look like Rambo. Barney from the Expendables, maybe, but not John Rambo.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I watched it yesterday and thought it was enjoyable enough and the last 20 minutes or so almost reach the levels of ridiculousness that Rambo 4 hit.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

That's what I heard too, and was like oh man Rambo going up against weekend warrior white nationalist/supremacists that think they're armchair Army Generals? Fuckin sign me up, maybe they would have finally played up how John Rambo is supposed to be Italian from his dad's side and Navajo from his mom. Does he use any ridiculous explosive tipped arrows? Or does the movie kinda turn into "Mandy" a little bit with like a chainsaw fight?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

In hindsight, the only truly Great Rambo movie was First Blood. Even Rambo (2008) only has the gore going for it, the climactic shootout is a mess. Pitting Rambo against generic Cartel Thugs just sounds boring and racist, but I guess it adds another layer to the Rambo series’ weird political decline.

Last Blood was poo poo. Mexico's portrayed like some rear end-backward anarchist African republic where an unaccompanied 17 year old girl in a beater Civic and a grizzled 'viejo' with murder in his eyes and a loaded .45 in his glove box can cross the border un-questioned. Also, every Mexican shown save *two* are "killers and rapers," and the two "good ones" are visible cowards who have just learned to 'accept their fates' to live under the terror of the cartels. At least the last Rambo movie was just pure Troma-level gore-friendly.

The only thing missing at the end after that :jerkbag: montage at the end with him channeling John Wayne's "Shane" was The Hollies' "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This review is the most perfect review ever written. The movie sounds like it's exactly like I thought it'd be from watching those trailers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
David Morrell (Rambo's creator) hated it and said so publicly. He also said Stallone was ignoring his emails in the runup to release, so that should have been advance warning.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The warning was using old town road in the trailer

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I almost wanna see Last Blood, but I ran it by my partner (who's latinx) and it was a hard no.

And I can see why, seeing a movie like that in Houston is probably a guarantee of a hell-crowd

e: like, she's as down to laugh at ridiculous Freeper-id as I am, she's just not willing to be Freeper Jane Goodall for an hour and a half

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think I was happy to leave Rambo 2008 as the last one I watched when Stallone spent a few years trying to get a "Rambo versus a genetically engineered super monster" movie off the ground, a dignified end was never in the cards for Rambo the way it fortunately has been for Rocky

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Haha watching Wick 3 high owns until you see his fake hand then it becomes so much funnier.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Guns lots of guns 10/10

Wow the ending is kind of rude for an action movie

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 21, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

JBP posted:

Haha watching Wick 3 high owns until you see his fake hand then it becomes so much funnier.

Is keanu missing a hand?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

Is keanu missing a hand?

Wick loses a finger in the movie and doesn't get it reattached, so they presumably used a hand prosthetic instead of actually slicing Keanu's ring finger off. I didn't really notice it in the theater, though, was too busy looking at all the incredible rear end-kicking.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I almost wanna see Last Blood, but I ran it by my partner (who's latinx) and it was a hard no.

And I can see why, seeing a movie like that in Houston is probably a guarantee of a hell-crowd

e: like, she's as down to laugh at ridiculous Freeper-id as I am, she's just not willing to be Freeper Jane Goodall for an hour and a half

This is pretty much where I fall as well, (latinx). There are more interesting ways to portray Mexican cartel poo poo (Narcos,). And everything I keep hearing is just your basic poo poo. Then again you could pretty much say the same for every Rambo movie antagonist since First Blood: Part 2.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah every Rambo movie after First Blood has basically been a neocon fantasy

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah every Rambo movie after First Blood has basically been a neocon fantasy
4 was more an "I don't know anything about the real-world conflict here and the movie isn't really explaining it, but this group of non-white dudes are being portrayed as thoroughly deserving of death, so let's watch Sly deliver it" fantasy. Which was horrifically reductive of what was actually happening, because as far as the film was concerned it could have swapped in any number of terrible groups (Janjaweed, ISIS*, etc) and played out exactly the same.

*Yes, I know they weren't around at the time.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Seemlar posted:

I think I was happy to leave Rambo 2008 as the last one I watched when Stallone spent a few years trying to get a "Rambo versus a genetically engineered super monster" movie off the ground, a dignified end was never in the cards for Rambo the way it fortunately has been for Rocky

I remember reading the book that was supposed to be based on(Hunter by James Byron Huggins) way way back. And then finding out that it was going to be adapted into a Rambo movie, that was kinda nuts. The same writer wrote a book called Cain, which ruled, and that was to be adapted into a film with Bruce Willis.

Sadly, neither happened. The books were great fun, though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wick loses a finger in the movie and doesn't get it reattached, so they presumably used a hand prosthetic instead of actually slicing Keanu's ring finger off. I didn't really notice it in the theater, though, was too busy looking at all the incredible rear end-kicking.

I assumed they would just put a green bandage over it and edit it out in post like Imperator Furiosa's arm...

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Watched Avengement last night. That movie kicks rear end.

I watched Avengement because of this thread and yeah, it was really good. Really enjoyed the action film via gritty crime film thing it had going on, and the fights were brutal. I was so happy to see people spit up fake blood instead of crappy CGI blood.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I assumed they would just put a green bandage over it and edit it out in post like Imperator Furiosa's arm...

Afterwards sure, but you can't do that for the scene where you lose it. Well you can but it's probably cheaper to use a prosthetic.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I watched Avengement because of this thread and yeah, it was really good. Really enjoyed the action film via gritty crime film thing it had going on, and the fights were brutal. I was so happy to see people spit up fake blood instead of crappy CGI blood.

:same:
I'm going to have to start going thru Scott Adkin's back catalog now.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

duz posted:

Afterwards sure, but you can't do that for the scene where you lose it. Well you can but it's probably cheaper to use a prosthetic.

:same:
I'm going to have to start going thru Scott Adkin's back catalog now.

I watched Savage Dog after Avengement. It’s way less good but gets points for having Keith David.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Scott Adkins catalog 100% worth seeing:

Debt Collector
Accident Man
Undisputed 2, 3, and Boyeka
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

These are his most solid movies that ANYONE who likes a good action flick can enjoy.

He has lots of other stuff that I do recommend and is varying degrees of good but this is the most solid of the bunch.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Finally watched this after years of never getting around to it. Holy poo poo it’s :krad: not just as an action film but as a balls-out piece of filmmaking.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Remulak posted:

Finally watched this after years of never getting around to it. Holy poo poo it’s :krad: not just as an action film but as a balls-out piece of filmmaking.

It has an incredible vibe. I would love to see somebody else go for a "David Lynch style action movie" that wasn't a pastiche.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Debt Collector
Accident Man

These are his most solid movies that ANYONE who likes a good action flick can enjoy.

He has lots of other stuff that I do recommend and is varying degrees of good but this is the most solid of the bunch.

Yea when he's paired with even a reasonable budget, the results are always outstanding. But he also has done a bunch of zero budget stuff that can still be enjoyable but you need to have a tolerance for crappy production values. It's a shame that he had to make so many of those to eventually work his way up to stuff like Accident Man and Debt Collector.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Give :clap: Scott :clap: Adkins :clap: a budget :clap:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Basebf555 posted:

Yea when he's paired with even a reasonable budget, the results are always outstanding. But he also has done a bunch of zero budget stuff that can still be enjoyable but you need to have a tolerance for crappy production values. It's a shame that he had to make so many of those to eventually work his way up to stuff like Accident Man and Debt Collector.

I guess At Close Range qualifies for this, because that movie kicks rear end no matter how cheap it looks.

I would add Ninja 2 to the list of essential Adkins, the best white guy ninja movie ever made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

I guess At Close Range qualifies for this, because that movie kicks rear end no matter how cheap it looks.

I would add Ninja 2 to the list of essential Adkins, the best white guy ninja movie ever made.

Yea both of those definitely are in the category I'm talking about, where they're definitely worth checking out for any Adkins fan but there are probably a lot of people who would turn them off after 10 minutes just because of how cheap they look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Debt Collector
Accident Man

Ninja II: Shadow of a Tear