Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

a university i worked for had a custom java-based web app for managing a calendar of events, it was the most horrible piece of poo poo you've ever seen and took a good ten seconds to load the initial calendar view in browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

klafbang posted:

Plus you can answer any question with “the information you’re looking for is on SharePoint” and nobody can prove you wrong.

works great when interviewing

larper
Apr 9, 2019
6 mohts on ubuntu + i3... Whips so hard

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sniep posted:

same with adobe air, macromedia flash, all of those plugin-needed bullshit extensions. the modern web is getting there but java is so gross from a user perspective

The sysadmins touted a recent upgrade of a vendor webapp because it "No longer requires Java (except for an obscure reporting function 99% of people don't see)!!!"

It now requires Flash.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

CPColin posted:

The sysadmins touted a recent upgrade of a vendor webapp because it "No longer requires Java (except for an obscure reporting function 99% of people don't see)!!!"

It now requires Flash.

the vendor is seriously trying to figure out how much pain they can inflict on admins and users before they stop sending them money.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CPColin posted:

It now requires Flash.

what loving year is this

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

hobbesmaster posted:

what loving year is this

Right? The sysadmins said there's no more Flash requirement in version 8.2 and for some reason didn't add, "which we're switching to in a week," so who knows when we'll be off of it. Hopefully before Chrome disables Flash for good.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The Xkdc Larper posted:

6 mohts on ubuntu + i3... Whips so hard

lmbo why

having to use low-end cpus should be classed as torture

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Private Speech posted:

lmbo why

i3 is a windows manager lmao.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Private Speech posted:

lmbo why

noob

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Private Speech posted:

lmbo why

smdh

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
CENTOS 8 IS OUT

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol if you use ibm linux

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mawarannahr Bucket posted:

lol if you use ibm linux

RHEL is the only good server Linux OP.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

that may have been true, but you know it cannot stay that way with ibm at the helm. it’s done. just move on.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

that may have been true, but you know it cannot stay that way with ibm at the helm. it’s done. just move on.

Once I see any evidence of that, I will gladly do so.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Private Speech posted:

lmbo why

powerful self-own

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Once I see any evidence of that, I will gladly do so.

ibm has years of evidence of loving things up lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There's an article on LWN concerning the consequences of some desktop Linux distribution freezing at the login screen because it somehow managed to get from the kernel entry point to gdm starting up a display server with fewer than 4096 interrupts occurring in the intervening period

That seems like an amazingly nice problem to have

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

move on to what? SUSE? lol

in the end RHEL is the only Linux that matters

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i was going to say that "i3" is a pretty dumb/confusing name for a window manager but then i read that it predated the announcement of the core i3 by just two months in 2009 lol.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sapozhnik posted:

There's an article on LWN concerning the consequences of some desktop Linux distribution freezing at the login screen because it somehow managed to get from the kernel entry point to gdm starting up a display server with fewer than 4096 interrupts occurring in the intervening period

That seems like an amazingly nice problem to have

That's wild

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ratbert90 posted:

CENTOS 8 IS OUT

But you can keep using RHEL 5 for another year, so no need to rush to upgrade.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

powerful self-own

knowing the name of a Linux window manager is more of a self own

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

knowing the name of a Linux window manager is more of a self own

not in this thread lmao

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah at least use sway if you're going to be a nonstandard weirdo

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Captain Foo posted:

powerful self-own

okay okay

I use xfce/xfwm and am happy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sniep posted:

same with adobe air, macromedia flash, all of those plugin-needed bullshit extensions. the modern web is getting there but java is so gross from a user perspective

ynab4 uses adobe air and i hope it never stops working

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Shaggar posted:

that's not really sharepoint tho. that's one drive that's been semi rebranded as sharepoint. you can still do classic sharepoint in office 365 and its still really bad.

onedrive sync with sp libraries works OKAY

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

the other day someone did a invoke-siteswap and accidentally used ` instead of ' and it made the whole sharepoint site collection hosed. had to do point in time restore lol. ms support "just don't use illegal characters"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The_Franz posted:

move on to what? SUSE? lol

in the end RHEL is the only Linux that matters

Debian

incidentally , I tried to use gnome on Debian stable but my WiFi disconnects when I activate docker. this does not happen on mate or xfce. The answer is to avoid gnome , docker, and WiFi, but what is the why?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Debian

incidentally , I tried to use gnome on Debian stable but my WiFi disconnects when I activate docker. this does not happen on mate or xfce. The answer is to avoid gnome , docker, and WiFi, but what is the why?

its probably out of date

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

lmao.

Oh wait, you're serious? Let me laugh louder.

LMAO

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

debian looked like it was going to matter, at some point, back when hp was offering support contracts

but it didn't pan out

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Debian hasn't mattered since Deb met Ian

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ratbert90 posted:

lmao.

Oh wait, you're serious? Let me laugh louder.

LMAO

also, Debian stable

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the only reason debian made it on the radar is apt. but after yum and all the other distros made their own, whats the point. it moves like a glacier. just use ubuntu lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you’d all be surprised how many hardware startups are based on Debian running on a raspberry pi

well. maybe yall wouldn’t

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
debian testing is alright

i moved to fedora earlier this year on the suggestion of this thread and have actually found more packages to either be out of date or nonexistent than on debian testing :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
ian "n word" "death by cop" murdock ftw