Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

zooted heh posted:

yeah it's weird if the goods or supply bags touch the ground after being picked up they go for much less. I did a supply run with 2 friends and after we got the three bags one of my friends crashed their horse and the bag fell off.When he turned it in we got 15 supplies instead of the full 20.

Seriously it's not worth 150 bucks extra or whatever you size delivery cart is to do the longer distence delivery. Just do local and if you got the 4 barrel wagon it's a cool 500 bucks. If you got friends they make 250.

I've maxed out trader and the 250 they make off mine goes into their own business so when they also get the 4 barrel wagon we will max all our camps goods and go on mutiple local runs and each make close to 1000. It's EZ money and I wouldn't be surprised when sometime down the line the nerf how much you actually make on a local.

So if I am understanding this - if I upgrade to a wagon (I do not have one currently) I make more money? All of my deliveries are like 60 for local, 70 for distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Yeah. The medium and large wagon hold more goods therefore you make more money. Although it takes longer for ol' Cripps to fill up the upgraded wagons.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Yeah the first wagon you get holds 1 barrel with 25 goods. Second wagon holds 2 barrels with 50 goods and the final wagon holds 4 barrels with 100 goods. You have to buy the medium wagon before you buy the large. Don't try to skip.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Yeah. The medium and large wagon hold more goods therefore you make more money. Although it takes longer for ol' Cripps to fill up the upgraded wagons.

I've been hoarding my money pretty good - good to know, thanks!

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Yeah, you'll notice that there's a little notch that says 25 on the bar in the trader menu that fills up as cripps produces goods. That's the default max amount of goods you can transport. Medium delivery wagon lets you haul up to 50, and the large wagon lets you take a full bar of 100 produced goods.

e: beaten

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

I also advise buying the hunting wagon. At first I thought it was worthless cuz you have to dismiss your horse before calling the wagon on the left dpad menu but you can hunt on your own horse, flee it and call your wagon. It will spawn on the closest road to you. It can hold 5 bodies and when your done you can dismiss it and all the contents in the wagon stay.

If you have the wagon and you gotta do a supply run where you have to collect a pelt for someone to trade you supplies. Just hunt for yourself since it seems like every animal in the game spawns during that mission. I was killing wild bear roaming the great planes cuz they didn't wana spawn a bison or whatever the gently caress they wanted me to kill.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

zooted heh posted:

I also advise buying the hunting wagon. At first I thought it was worthless cuz you have to dismiss your horse before calling the wagon on the left dpad menu but you can hunt on your own horse, flee it and call your wagon. It will spawn on the closest road to you. It can hold 5 bodies and when your done you can dismiss it and all the contents in the wagon stay.

If you have the wagon and you gotta do a supply run where you have to collect a pelt for someone to trade you supplies. Just hunt for yourself since it seems like every animal in the game spawns during that mission. I was killing wild bear roaming the great planes cuz they didn't wana spawn a bison or whatever the gently caress they wanted me to kill.

Oh poo poo, you can use the hunting wagon for hunting too, in free roam? I had no idea - I am definitely going to grab it then. You all have no idea what I have been going through to bring in multiple bodies - one on my horse, lasso another, and then murder an NPC and steal his horse to store another one.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
You should prioritize getting the large wagon ASAP. For some reason the last 100th good is worth an extra $100. Like, 99/100 goods is $400 local delivery, 100/100 goods is $500.

The hunting wagon is great, but you have to summon/dismiss it frequently or get used to the slower pace (which honestly might be better since you'll probably spook less game). The hunting wagon is also great just for storing your kills. My friend was rustling the sheep at Emerald Ranch one night and someone else came by and blew up his hunting wagon. He managed to get some perfect carcasses in there before hand and they were still there when he resummoned the hunting wagon later. You can also use it to preserve carcasses to donate to your friends' trading operations if you want to switch instances, or just keep them around while you're offline. Just don't forget to buy the insurance!

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 27, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah the wagon is extremely unreliable when spawning it in. It can and will spawn and stop quite a ways away, putting your kills in danger of despawning. It's honestly a huge piece of poo poo but I'm still bitter at having 3 perfect deer amount to nothing because by the time I collected them within what I felt was a safe range and went to go get the wagon I got a nice disconnect when I got within 10 feet of it.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
So can someone give me a brief tutorial on being a good/efficient trader? Does the whole animal (unskinned) work better than just the skins? I know higher quality yields a better turn in, but this meter fills up so drat slow it seems like I'm doing something wrong.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Comfortador posted:

So can someone give me a brief tutorial on being a good/efficient trader? Does the whole animal (unskinned) work better than just the skins? I know higher quality yields a better turn in, but this meter fills up so drat slow it seems like I'm doing something wrong.

from what i gather:

whole animals work better. bucks work best. don't bother skinning anything unless you specifically need the skin for something (or it's an animal that you cannot pick up yourself, e.g. ox)

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Yeah unskinned carcasses trade in better than anything. Especially bucks, cougars, and the like. So what I do with just my horse is kill a medium animal, store on my horse, kill small animals and store two of those on the sides of my horse and then skin the rest prioritizing higher star versions over lower star versions. Cripps also takes antlers. But not fish or hearts or fat. Makes sense. After a good hunting run I find the bar at least halfway filled. Sometimes you can do supply missions and that will also fill the bar some.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
You can drift the hunting wagon.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Chello De Don posted:

from what i gather:

whole animals work better. bucks work best. don't bother skinning anything unless you specifically need the skin for something (or it's an animal that you cannot pick up yourself, e.g. ox)

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Yeah unskinned carcasses trade in better than anything. Especially bucks, cougars, and the like. So what I do with just my horse is kill a medium animal, store on my horse, kill small animals and store two of those on the sides of my horse and then skin the rest prioritizing higher star versions over lower star versions. Cripps also takes antlers. But not fish or hearts or fat. Makes sense. After a good hunting run I find the bar at least halfway filled. Sometimes you can do supply missions and that will also fill the bar some.

Perfect! Thanks guys, that will probably solve all my gripes.

Edit: Any recommendations for Camp/Hunting sites? I know it may vary per server at any given time, but any knowledge is better than none.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I like to hunt up by Hanging Dog Ranch in northern West Elizabeth, in that long stretching field of flowers. There's almost always a ton of deer and pronghorn, and of course elk will show up, the occasional moose, and plenty of small and medium animals (ducks, turkey, etc.) for you to pick up. The Great Plains can also work well too but I definitely get it done faster up north.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I had good success maxing out the materials for cripps by setting my camp to new hanover and using a rifle with a scope to snipe 3 star bucks and deer near camp until I had one on the back of my horse and one I dragged with my lasso.

Before that I was struggling keeping up with cripps by bringing in 2 star rabbits that I spent way too long looking for, and the like. He kept outpacing me and running out of materials until I did the deer/buck 2-at-a-time thing.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

anything that has a open field. Most of the big valley spots they put you in is open, great plains next to blackwater, heartland. If the camp is on a ledge or in some trees just pitch a new tent. It's a pain in the rear end trying to get wagons in and out and I've lost a entire shipment of goods because of a lovely camp spot.

It seems like animals spawn in from behind you so run out into the open find some animals and then turn back around to the camps direction and repeat.

zooted heh fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 27, 2019

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
i swear sometimes it feels like the game knows when i'm trying to hunt for something, because it will never show up. but the second i start a bounty mission there's like 30 loving deer just bouncing around!

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/index-beta.html

Collector's map that shows all the item spawns, and should open to the correct day (changes at 5pm PST) when you reload it.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Transmogrifier posted:

I like to hunt up by Hanging Dog Ranch in northern West Elizabeth, in that long stretching field of flowers. There's almost always a ton of deer and pronghorn, and of course elk will show up, the occasional moose, and plenty of small and medium animals (ducks, turkey, etc.) for you to pick up. The Great Plains can also work well too but I definitely get it done faster up north.

Me too. There is a cougar spawn in Tall Trees - you can sneak up on it and grab a three star almost every time, run it back to Cripps at camp.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Chello De Don posted:

i swear sometimes it feels like the game knows when i'm trying to hunt for something, because it will never show up. but the second i start a bounty mission there's like 30 loving deer just bouncing around!

You can still hunt and collect during missions, maximize that timer payout during bounty hunts

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I haven't touched RDO since it was released and I made a character - where is a good rundown of what's up now with all these updates etc? I may put some hours in this weekend but don't really know what's going on...

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

Me too. There is a cougar spawn in Tall Trees - you can sneak up on it and grab a three star almost every time, run it back to Cripps at camp.

I did this once today, but when I went back and did again there was two cougars. Fucker got the jump on me after I took down the first one.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

Oh poo poo, you can use the hunting wagon for hunting too, in free roam? I had no idea - I am definitely going to grab it then. You all have no idea what I have been going through to bring in multiple bodies - one on my horse, lasso another, and then murder an NPC and steal his horse to store another one.

You can also throw large fish in it. I like to head down to Flat Iron Lake where you meet the legendary fisherman in single player and load up with sturgeon. Five in the wagon, dismiss wagon, summon my horse, throw one on the back and go sell to the butcher in Rhodes for an easy $45.

Transmogrifier posted:

Yeah that area is excellent, plus it's drat pretty. Note that elk and moose carcasses aren't really worth much, though. I tried dragging a three star bull moose to camp but Cripps wouldn't take it.

Cripps please this was very heavy and it's a perfect three star how about I pack you up :mad:

Also if you're down in Lagras, baby gators are drat valuable to turn in whereas a perfect gator hide from a full grown one is worth like 0.66 materials, so don't bother with those.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Transmogrifier posted:

Yeah I consistently have the best luck hunting in the Little Creek River area as well. There's also a cougar spawn just north of Owanjila where the path to Hanging Dog bends north, it usually spawns right off the trail.

Overall though I kind of wish they'd up the animal population a little in free roam, though I do understand why they've scaled it back in comparison to single player.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I wish I’d known that carcasses are worth more than pelts when I killed that docile cougar from the photo op encounter :/

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I have no clue if this has been covered or not, but some very minor trader advice: skin snakes if you happen to kill them. The whole snake takes way more space and is worthless to Cripps, but you can cram the skin in your pouch and they'll go for a little. From my own experience, at least.

I mean, it's not worth enough to actually hunt for snakes, but since you run into so many, I figured I'd share what I'd figured out.

Edit: agreed that it'd be nice if they upped the animal spawns just a tad now that more folks have incentive to be hunting. Nothing too drastic, cause it's still not that awful, but it can be a hassle on occasion, especially in a region with a lot of camped players.

Also, yeah, Big Valley or whatever in North West Elizabeth is great for hunting. So is the Heartland overflow. That was the best camp location for hunting so far that Cripps has found for me, cause a Whitetail buck spawns within arrow's reach of my butcher's table, and it spawns a LOT, and is usually Good or Perfect. I filled up my meter at that camp using that one poor unfortunate buck.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 28, 2019

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Edit: agreed that it'd be nice if they upped the animal spawns just a tad now that more folks have incentive to be hunting. Nothing too drastic, cause it's still not that awful, but it can be a hassle on occasion, especially in a region with a lot of camped players.

I swear animal spawns reducing is due to player population on the server. Once it hits 18 or so, animals start to vanish. Below 16, animals reappear. I've been testing this for the past 10 days or so and any time the server has a low player population, there's animals aplenty and the camp spawns pretty quickly. Player population below eight and the camp instantly spawns when you want to move it around.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 28, 2019

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Are the new horses much better than the standard higher end ones at all? Been considering picking up the collector horse once I hit 20.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

its all nice on rice posted:

Are the new horses much better than the standard higher end ones at all? Been considering picking up the collector horse once I hit 20.

I am not absolutely sure, but I bought that Criollo you're considering as soon as I could and I love it.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
According to a Reddit post, animals not spawning is a bug that they're working on. It's really frustrating though in the meantime.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Transmogrifier posted:

According to a Reddit post, animals not spawning is a bug that they're working on. It's really frustrating though in the meantime.

its definitely a bug because it wasn't happening on xbox til yesterday. it was nice though the days when it wasn't bugged, it seemed like they had actually increased the animal spawn counts compared to before.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-28-no-plans-for-red-dead-redemption-2-single-player-dlc-rockstar-says

If you are holding out for single player DLC then here's some unsurprising news.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
i mean yea, single player dlc in general doesn't sell well at all. they already learned this lesson when they lost a ton of money with the gta4 dlc. they're never going to try it again unless theres a market shift. theyre gonna focus on gold bars and the outlaw pass which will actually make them money.

the rest of that interview though does talk about some cool things like how they want to keep turning the online into more like the single player, and that they know no one likes the pvp and prefers coop. traders will eventually be able to buy storefronts and bounty hunters might be able to become lawmen
https://www.vg247.com/2019/09/27/red-dead-online-future-heists-villain-lawmen-business/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

When doing the Legendary Bounty:

I saw there was a high point rock outcropping above where he likely was so I thought hey man I’ve read a quote from The Art of War I’ll post-up there. As soon as I did a couple wolves lazily jog over to ask to speak to my manager while simultaneously the bounty flees on foot. I dispatched the dotarded wolves and turned around to shoot what I thought was some angry attack bear down below but instead I shot the bounty. And wounded him. Where he bled out just before I got there. Oh well, fairly easy bounty luckily. Other people had it way harder than I did apparently.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I saw there was a high point rock outcropping above where he likely was so I thought hey man I’ve read a quote from The Art of War I’ll post-up there. As soon as I did a couple wolves lazily jog over to ask to speak to my manager while simultaneously the bounty flees on foot. I dispatched the dotarded wolves and turned around to shoot what I thought was some angry attack bear down below but instead I shot the bounty. And wounded him. Where he bled out just before I got there. Oh well, fairly easy bounty luckily. Other people had it way harder than I did apparently.

On later difficulties you need to take the bounty alive or you fail. Throws a wrench in the works pretty handily.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yeah that bear is a beast. Got me a few times.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

Yeah that bear is a beast. Got me a few times.

We were a posse of four, with a pretty good plan of approach and somewhat middling communication skills. His trail was easy to find and before long we had him cornered and descended on him from three points, putting down wolves with brutal efficiency. He had nowhere to run. Surprisingly easy.
I didn't see it attack. All I heard was a blood curdling roar and my posse screaming, shooting at everything and nothing. Our plan was in shambles. Bullets were flying everywhere. And at my feet lay the Wolf Man. Bleeding out. Dying. Depreciating in value by the second. So I revived him, hogtied him and stowed him onto the back of my notoriously skittish arabian - who for some reason had decided to stick by me despite all the blood and fear and violence.
I had to scream at them to pierce the fog of madness surrounding them. One was still shooting. One was still yelling about the bear. One was making desperate attempts at skinning three star pelts. And on the back of my horse, the Wolf Man was growling and barking, calling more wolves to his aid. Thankfully, one of my dumb little buddies had the wherewithal to come to mine.

It'll be fun to see what they come up with next week.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HatJudge posted:

We were a posse of four, with a pretty good plan of approach and somewhat middling communication skills. His trail was easy to find and before long we had him cornered and descended on him from three points, putting down wolves with brutal efficiency. He had nowhere to run. Surprisingly easy.
I didn't see it attack. All I heard was a blood curdling roar and my posse screaming, shooting at everything and nothing. Our plan was in shambles. Bullets were flying everywhere. And at my feet lay the Wolf Man. Bleeding out. Dying. Depreciating in value by the second. So I revived him, hogtied him and stowed him onto the back of my notoriously skittish arabian - who for some reason had decided to stick by me despite all the blood and fear and violence.
I had to scream at them to pierce the fog of madness surrounding them. One was still shooting. One was still yelling about the bear. One was making desperate attempts at skinning three star pelts. And on the back of my horse, the Wolf Man was growling and barking, calling more wolves to his aid. Thankfully, one of my dumb little buddies had the wherewithal to come to mine.

It'll be fun to see what they come up with next week.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

VarXX posted:

i mean yea, single player dlc in general doesn't sell well at all. they already learned this lesson when they lost a ton of money with the gta4 dlc. they're never going to try it again unless theres a market shift. theyre gonna focus on gold bars and the outlaw pass which will actually make them money.

the rest of that interview though does talk about some cool things like how they want to keep turning the online into more like the single player, and that they know no one likes the pvp and prefers coop. traders will eventually be able to buy storefronts and bounty hunters might be able to become lawmen
https://www.vg247.com/2019/09/27/red-dead-online-future-heists-villain-lawmen-business/

I can't wait to successfully climb the ladder of capitalism in this game, since I am such godawful poo poo at it IRL. Thanks, R*!