Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MisterBibs posted:

I can't pin down the set-up / context for it, but there's an episode where Al refuses to sell his old car, for some reason or another. It's revealed at the end that he was stalling for time in order to get a picture of his family out of it before it's sold/destroyed/whatever.

But wasn't he just because he was hiding a copy of "Bigguns" in the picture frame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Bob Newhart's show Bob has not aged well. The premise had Bob as a comic book artist whose 1950's creation, Mad-Dog, was being ressurrected in the 90's. That lasted one season until the company he worked for was sold and the new owner fired all the comics-related staff and Bob ended up becoming a greeting card designer.

They did have an episode featuring numerous comic book artists: Bob Kane, Jack Kirby, Mell Lazarus, Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri, Mel Keefer, Paul Power, Art Thibert and Sergio Aragones.

The funny thing as well is that Bob pretty much a thinly vieled Jack Kerby himself with details from his life. Imagine him doing greeting cards.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, Ray Romano is pretty likeable in basically everything he's in outside of Everybody Loves Raymond. He's not a gold-star or anything, he's in plenty of stuff that's crap and he's not really saving anything he's in, but you come out of seeing him in anything else and go 'you know, Ray Romano was pretty decent in that'.

I'm not sure exactly why his own show let him down there, there's a lot of potential ways. Maybe he just wasn't very good at actual acting early on, maybe long-term roles aren't good for him, or maybe he was too willing to have his show paint him as an rear end in a top hat. I wouldn't say that it's because he's an rear end in a top hat, because that'd come through in his stand-up and he's pretty pleasant on-stage.

Have you seen Paddleton? It’s a Netflix original and he’s great in it. He plays a kind of character that kind of needs to be played by Ray Romano.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Kay Kessler posted:

The only good episode of Everybody Loves Raymond is the one where the family takes a trip to Italy. Ray acts like a huge wet blanket as usual so everyone just decides to go sightseeing without him. He then goes out on his own and starts appreciating the local culture at his own pace. There's a sincerity to it that is just so unlike the rest of the show.

Those moments are few and far between, which may be for the best so it didn't get too sentimental. There is one other that comes to mind. It's an episode where they find out one of the kids will have to be left back, although they decide to have them both left back so they can stay together. The scene where Ray explains it to the kid is surprisingly moving, even though I haven't ever seen it brought up in a dumb "10 moments from Everybody Loves Raymond that gave us all the feels" list. Sensing that he doesn't quite get it, Ray hugs him wordlessly for a few seconds. It's actually really great.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sir Lemming posted:

It's an episode where they find out one of the kids will have to be left back, although they decide to have them both left back so they can stay together.

Would that even be an option?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Those moments are few and far between, which may be for the best so it didn't get too sentimental. There is one other that comes to mind. It's an episode where they find out one of the kids will have to be left back, although they decide to have them both left back so they can stay together. The scene where Ray explains it to the kid is surprisingly moving, even though I haven't ever seen it brought up in a dumb "10 moments from Everybody Loves Raymond that gave us all the feels" list. Sensing that he doesn't quite get it, Ray hugs him wordlessly for a few seconds. It's actually really great.

Left back from what? A trip to Disneyland? The next grade? Processing at Auschwitz?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tiggum posted:

Would that even be an option?

I just took the bullet and watched 3 painfully unfunny minutes of the cold open of this episode including a painfully unfunny gay joke, to determine that the kids are in pre-K which is basically unregulated, so yeah, that could happen.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DrBouvenstein posted:

But wasn't he just because he was hiding a copy of "Bigguns" in the picture frame?

I think the family photo was actually under it, so first you get the laugh with Peg being right about his treasured Big 'Uns, then he pulls out the family photo. Then the words "For your consideration" pop up, making it a "this is really an awards show" ploy.

I can't be certain, since I'm out of the country and can't check my DVDs of the show. It was nonetheless a great episode, and not just because it was the best use of David Garrison returning as Steve during the Jefferson era.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Worked great for JJJ in the Spider-Man game

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I haven't thought about Grounded for Life in almost like 20 years, I didn't think anybody else remembered it either.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I remember it because I keep getting Kevin Corrigan mixed up with John Leguizamo for some reason. Not in like a face blindness way, but somehow my brain associated Leguizamo's name with the show and it's been stuck that way ever since.

Unfortunately had I watched the Super Mario Bros movie even once in the past decade I would have instantly been cured of my delusion.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

skooma512 posted:

I haven't thought about Grounded for Life in almost like 20 years, I didn't think anybody else remembered it either.

It was on Laff for quite a while in the mornings, so I'd catch most of an episode before going to work a couple years ago. For some reason I had thought it was one of those sitcoms that had only lasted 2 seasons, color me surprised to find out it was 5.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Grounded for life is great because it basically did what Rosanne was trying to do without going off the loving rails like it did

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the scene where the family are stuck in traffic and a driver insults Al, starting a fistfight between them. The other drivers wife makes a wry comment that infuriates Peggy because she just insulted Al, and those two start fighting too, and by the end the whole family is fighting the entire other family to preserve their honour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7AGop2dZyE

iirc there's another family brawl in every bundy has a birthday that plays out a little like this where a better-off family got a park permit to hold a private party on public land and they try to give al the bum's rush

al will also clobber fellas on behalf of family members - he's an ogre for sure but he's a family ogre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfC0Rr3mhZU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hard counter posted:

iirc there's another family brawl in every bundy has a birthday that plays out a little like this where a better-off family got a park permit to hold a private party on public land and they try to give al the bum's rush

al will also clobber fellas on behalf of family members - he's an ogre for sure but he's a family ogre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfC0Rr3mhZU

That's David Boreanaz, right?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Here's something that didn't age well not long after it came out:

https://youtu.be/HHojRrVEATE

The reason it says "restored" is because later airings replaced the song with an instrumental. Gee, I wonder why.

EDIT: LOL, from the comments:

quote:

Did some reading and found out this episode aired on October 27, 1990. Milli Vanilli were officially outed by their manager as fakes on November 14th. So basically there was an 18 day window in which this episode was relevant.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Sep 27, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

AceOfFlames posted:

The reason it says "restored" is because later airings replaced the song with an instrumental. Gee, I wonder why.

My god Bowser, not everything has to be a kidnapping thing. Just take her to the concert. You can get a backstage pass, you seem rich enough. Talk about a busman's holiday.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Toshimo posted:

That's David Boreanaz, right?

sure is

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

It also had the thing where the mom was pretty attractive and the teenage daughter was kind of annoyed at it, right?

To the point where she ends up doing a saucy number from Cabaret and pissess off the PTA?

Yes indeed and it's one of the most awkward/glorious scenes aired on network TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWNVCNbOy9M

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Laterite posted:

Yes indeed and it's one of the most awkward/glorious scenes aired on network TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWNVCNbOy9M

I've seen this scene multiple times but never heard this song, because for some reason my pirated copy of this episode is missing her vocal track.

The rest of the audio is fine, there's just no singing. :confused:

I also enjoy how this show handled losing one of its child actors ("Oh, Henry's around here somewhere.")

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

That was Just Shoot Me. It has not aged well at all.

one of the only things i remember about Just Shoot Me is there was one episode where boss character had a remote control door opener and closer for his office

ever since i saw that years and years ago i've always wanted a remote control door. every once in a while i come up with ideas to build it, too.

some day i'll achieve the dream

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Wasn't that Parks and Rec?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Y'all are thinking of Today with Matt Lauer.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

one of the only things i remember about Just Shoot Me is there was one episode where boss character had a remote control door opener and closer for his office

ever since i saw that years and years ago i've always wanted a remote control door. every once in a while i come up with ideas to build it, too.

some day i'll achieve the dream

Uh, you might wanna-

Laterite posted:

Y'all are thinking of Today with Matt Lauer.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

oh

oh no

i want to clarify i want the remote controlled opening/closing door for lazy reasons not creepy reasons

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mojo1701a posted:

I think the family photo was actually under it, so first you get the laugh with Peg being right about his treasured Big 'Uns, then he pulls out the family photo. Then the words "For your consideration" pop up, making it a "this is really an awards show" ploy.

I can't be certain, since I'm out of the country and can't check my DVDs of the show. It was nonetheless a great episode, and not just because it was the best use of David Garrison returning as Steve during the Jefferson era.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frasier comes to mind as one where the titular character and his brother are wealthy of their own accord, as well as having more detail on the radio host job, though iirc even at the time non-political talk radio was dying out. (Though maybe not everywhere)

Though Frasier has come up as a bit of a different beast that mostly avoided the pitfalls of other sitcoms. Mostly.

I used to watch Frasier every week, and in hindsight I'm glad that there wasn't an overtly political element especially since Kelsey Grammar is kind of awful. Like I'm sure you could find subtext that supports his views somewhere but it didn't hit you over the head with it thankfully.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Worked great for JJJ in the Spider-Man game

He was a highlight for sure. I kinda like the MCU take as a more Alex Jones style broadcaster too.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mokinokaro posted:

He was a highlight for sure. I kinda like the MCU take as a more Alex Jones style broadcaster too.
I'm basically in love with this take.

Also holy poo poo I have been absently trying to remember the name of that sitcom for years, it was my absolute favorite. And I've learned John Leguizamo was not in fact Uncle Eddie. Thanks goons!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Oh my god I’m not the only one

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I can't think of a particular example from any one TV show, but any episode dealing kids having to deal with young kids dealing with their first crush and they get made fun for it because kids are mean.

I don't interact with many children these days but i would assume it would be the opposite, where you would be made fun of by NOT being in a relationship as early as possible because that's what all the people on tv/youtube are doing so you gotta do it too.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I used to watch Frasier every week, and in hindsight I'm glad that there wasn't an overtly political element especially since Kelsey Grammar is kind of awful. Like I'm sure you could find subtext that supports his views somewhere but it didn't hit you over the head with it thankfully.

Grammer seems like a severely messed-up person generally - I remember reading somewhere or other that one of his marriages fell apart because his wife basically thought she was marrying Frasier and yeah, he is not Frasier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Shame Boy posted:

I can't think of a particular example from any one TV show, but any episode dealing kids having to deal with young kids dealing with their first crush and they get made fun for it because kids are mean.

I don't interact with many children these days but i would assume it would be the opposite, where you would be made fun of by NOT being in a relationship as early as possible because that's what all the people on tv/youtube are doing so you gotta do it too.

Knowing kids, it can be and likely often is both within a span of minutes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pookah posted:

Grammer seems like a severely messed-up person generally - I remember reading somewhere or other that one of his marriages fell apart because his wife basically thought she was marrying Frasier and yeah, he is not Frasier.

He had a severely hosed-up life. Almost every person hes been emotionally close to died suddenly and tragically. In particular his father was murdered and then seven years later his sister was kidnapped, sexually assaulted and murdered. It pretty directly led to his extreme right-wing views and terrible substance abuse problems. Supposedly during Frasier at his worst periods he would sit in his chair between takes in a catatonic drug/alcohol stupor and then the second the cameras started rolling he would snap to life, give an amazing performance filled with energy and erudition and the second the director yelled cut he would go back to his drug coma.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He had a severely hosed-up life. Almost every person hes been emotionally close to died suddenly and tragically. In particular his father was murdered and then seven years later his sister was kidnapped, sexually assaulted and murdered. It pretty directly led to his extreme right-wing views and terrible substance abuse problems. Supposedly during Frasier at his worst periods he would sit in his chair between takes in a catatonic drug/alcohol stupor and then the second the cameras started rolling he would snap to life, give an amazing performance filled with energy and erudition and the second the director yelled cut he would go back to his drug coma.

Oh my

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AceOfFlames posted:

Because everyone went full kneejerk over Milli Vanilli. But as Dave Marsh put it: revoking the Grammy was stupid because MV didn't get it for the dancing, they got it for the music. Regardless of whether Rob and Fab were doing the singing, someone was and it's their work that earned the acclaim.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Then shouldn’t they get the award and not the guys who didn’t do the music?

That take just seems contrarian for contrarians sake

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

You guys ever see the clip of Grammer falling off the stage?

I’m old and don’t know how to embed but it’s funny.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Glad to know I didn't imagine it, although I'm still worried that my memory for TV episodes is pretty accurate.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

You guys ever see the clip of Grammer falling off the stage?

I’m old and don’t know how to embed but it’s funny.

Oh, good lord.

https://youtu.be/Eu-BqOsvj00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mostly know about the Milli Vanilli thing from a Cracked article of all things (back when they were half decent) and it seems it blew up mostly because it was just loving hilarious, and had the perfect reaction with one of them just continuing like nothing happened (and hey, maybe they could have gotten away with it) while the other ran for the hills.