Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

cithen thanks for the invite but I won't be able to make it up that way for the ex-raid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Old Swerdlow posted:

Luckily IV’s don’t influence much.

https://pokemongohub.net/post/wiki/ivs-and-their-influence/

“Based on the way IVs affect damage output, the difference that 100% IVs make compared to 0% IVs is around 10%, i.e. they will last around 10% longer, deal around 10% more damage, and resist around 10% more damage.”

Rarely are you using a 0% IV Pokémon, and even then how much does 10% extra really matter?

Also given that it’s an egg hatch, iirc the absolute minimum “trash IVs” are gonna be 10-10-10 anyways.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I've been mulching so many 2* mon, how many lives could I have saved?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I've been mulching so many 2* mon, how many lives could I have saved?

They would have suffered regardless; the more pokemon you keep alive, the less stardust they'll see.

Remember to Thanos Snap your pokemon every so often!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I caught a gible in the wild! Sure he’s a 1 star but yeahhh!!!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So is combat power more important than IVs?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

So is combat power more important than IVs?

In all but the most edge of edge cases (high level PvP or raiding with the bare minimum of accounts possible), yes

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Movepool matters most, so long as you get some strong attackers of each type to level 35 or so, you're completely golden. If you have enough people to raid, then power up whatever you want, this game has zero strategy to it, or any real kind of meta.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My apartment used to be filled with monsters spawning everywhere from my bed and now nothing spawns at all. Sure love this new spawn point system, Niantic. Very fun.

I feel like very little spawns outside of Pokestops at all now, which I guess is more "thematic" but is actually really dull and basically destroys the idea of adventure outside of very dense urban centers.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 28, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I feel bad for this guy:

https://twitter.com/PokeMasterYuey/status/1177728495956484097

No but like real talk why on earth would they remove spawns when adding new ones instead of just... adding... new ones...

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Is it too much to hope that this will be revised? I haven't been playing long enough to have a sense of niantics response to player feedback.

E: that tweet speaks volumes to my question lmao

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 28, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I didn't even notice there were new quests, including this Zangoose. Trade Pokemon that have a distance of 10k km or more.

Glad my girlfriend noticed or I might've missed this one.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

I feel bad for this guy:

https://twitter.com/PokeMasterYuey/status/1177728495956484097

No but like real talk why on earth would they remove spawns when adding new ones instead of just... adding... new ones...

Having experienced similar poo poo with Elite Dangerous and the massive procgen data clusterfuck that is their background simulation, I can nearly guarantee that "removing specific spawns" per se didn't really enter into it (although any place that had court-ordered takedowns, they probably took into account for a lower spawn rate too). They have a world map and a bunch of inputs, including but not limited to "Biome data from OSM", and they just dumped all that into a pot and replaced the old data with the new data, and whatever dice were rolled resulted in whatever this outcome is. If the hearsay of cell network usage heatmaps were involved as well, then things like "this is student housing and everyone went home" / "this is beach area and everyone was vacationing here" / "there was a convention here during the time period this was originaly sampled from and there isn't now" would affect it as well.

Not to like hyper-defend Niantic given the sort of profit margin they're probably pulling in from this game vs. what they could definitely afford to spend more in for customer support, but these specific edge-case issues are the inevitable outcome of working with any sort of massive-scale procedurally generated game (and more reinforces the fact that Niantic needs to come up with a longer-term viable solution for non-urban players, instead of trying to fix hundreds of thousands of individual "this used to be a spawn point and now it isn't" issues).

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I had 2 spawns at home before the change, and now I still have 2 spawns but they spawn only 8 minutes apart so I only have to open the game once an hour to catch them both instead of having a 3 minute window where both spawns were active

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Froist posted:

With the Tourism event on and one of the quests being “Trade Pokemon caught 10,000km apart”, are there any Aus/NZ goons who want to do a gift trade with me and my girlfriend’s UK accounts? That way we can keep the quests stacked and try to get/hatch an egg that’s over the distance to trade.

Me: 0334-3718-4989
Her: 4212-9657-0650

I'm in NZ and I've added these as xyxyph.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I managed to get a 19600 km trade last week. I had a mon hached from an egg from NZ and my friend had one from Spain.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Of course the world tourism event starts the day I leave Europe. Had 4 open egg spots so figured could at least fill those with some Europe 5km eggs to try and get my remaining regionals...2 2kms and 2 10kms :argh:

Found multiple Zangoose, one Volbeat and one Durant so at least had some decent success gathering some regionals

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Hello, fellow "I left Europe basically the day the event started" buddy! I actually got some 5ks! One had a Pansear. The rest were junk. I am jealous of your Durant.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Any Australian or new Zealanders looking to add a new friend?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

xiw posted:

I'm in NZ and I've added these as xyxyph.

Thanks! We both got an egg from your gifts, so just have to walk 7km tomorrow..

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

fallin1 posted:

Any Australian or new Zealanders looking to add a new friend?

I am [full]

xiw fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 29, 2019

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

xiw posted:

I am 885264778320

Sent as tookmynames

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Okay not doing any more from now as I'm out of gifts already...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man I just got home from a week vacation and they really did mess with the spawns, my very rural house no longer has any Pokémon. It’s been 8 hours and nada. Use to be a steady trickle before I left.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I wonder why they didn't overlay the existing spawn points with the new spawns and just call it a day? There would have been no complaints about that. No missing spawns and new spawns, everyone wins.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

OgreNoah posted:

I wonder why they didn't overlay the existing spawn points with the new spawns and just call it a day? There would have been no complaints about that. No missing spawns and new spawns, everyone wins.

I honestly think they purposefully nerfed spawns to counter all the ways they've made gaining XP and dust easier. :tinfoil:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

OgreNoah posted:

~niantic~

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Goon buddy Vringalu special thanks for a series of incredible gifts! Particularly today's!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OgreNoah posted:

woulda been nice since nothing spawns at my house anymore since the change

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Wheany posted:

I managed to get a 19600 km trade last week. I had a mon hached from an egg from NZ and my friend had one from Spain.

The max distance is probably just over 20,000 so that's pretty neat.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Hey, could I get some peeps to add me in Pokémon Go? Need friends for the Jirachi quest.

4171 1414 9138

Thanks y’all!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Kinda a waste when no one in the raid group gets any shinies in about 6 raids.

In more fun news, a dude on a local Facebook is showcasing his Tropius from Canada, and say he wants shiny regionals in exchange. Most people have called him out easily.

Me, I remember being so loving excited because a dude in our Discord said he had a shiny Horsea for me, from Chicago, and didn't want anything special for it because I am always running raid trains and he appreciated how I did it and made it easy for everyone. Then we met up and he wanted to look over all my shinies and debate me about a legendary or one of my more rare ones because, well, he didn't just want to GIVE away the Pokemon for nothing special. rear end in a top hat.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Can someone give me the lowdown on Shadow Pokemons?

Basically, from what I've read up on them, the Return charged attack is pretty mediocre, so I wonder if the 20% stardust and 10% candy discounts they get make up for having to unlock a second attack to get them up to snuff.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nah, I've done over 300 Rocket stops and have never thought once to use a Shadow mon, just do them for something to do as you run around in circles shiny checking. Or at least, do enough for silver medals, if you care, so that when they put out shadow legendaries, and they probably will, you have 4 extra balls to catch them with.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Crosspeice posted:

Nah, I've done over 300 Rocket stops and have never thought once to use a Shadow mon, just do them for something to do as you run around in circles shiny checking. Or at least, do enough for silver medals, if you care, so that when they put out shadow legendaries, and they probably will, you have 4 extra balls to catch them with.

I keep the cool looking ones for gyms.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The only use for shadow pokemon is to get evil mons to defend gyms.

E:F;B

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/1178346224962998272?s=19

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Special Research: Help Willow defeat the evil Team Cryptolocker before he can open another FedEx_Invoice_final.pdf.exe

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Finally we get to catch Missingno in Pokémon Go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Listen I don't wanna see what's inside this person's computer, given everything we know about the way they spend their day.