Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.
Quick question : anyone here had real on-hands experience with hp simplivity solutions ? We've got an ERP developpemtn infrastructure in complete need of upgrading and not much manpower available right now, so this checks a lot of boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Moey posted:

Never used the before, figured it wouldn't hurt to quote.

No need for the NAS features, just some boring block iSCSI.

They’re fine. Not as pleasant to work with as Pure but it’ll probably come in reasonably cheaper for the same usable capacity.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Flexibility in storage is overrated. Simplicity and consistency are way more important. There are plenty of other ways to serve files and usually they avoid some of the downsides of doing it directly from an array.

I dont necessarily think Flexibility is overrated, depending on your use case. If you're looking for a hybrid system or something where you can still dedicate drive/spindle sets theres value in that.

Pure / Nimble / etc have a good thing going with the "Giant chunk of flash" model but in some use cases I still prefer being able to add some drives and put them in their own pool specifically to run some particular functionality.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

You'd be overpaying for support in the sense that you'd be buying support but not getting it.

Enterprise hardware and software is beholden to the inverse rule of support. The more you pay the less you will get, and it is exponential decay. There is a point though where with enough money it loops back around but you're paying multiple peoples dedicated salary at that point, and god forbid they ever be on vacation our otherwise not available.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Digital_Jesus posted:

I dont necessarily think Flexibility is overrated, depending on your use case. If you're looking for a hybrid system or something where you can still dedicate drive/spindle sets theres value in that.

Pure / Nimble / etc have a good thing going with the "Giant chunk of flash" model but in some use cases I still prefer being able to add some drives and put them in their own pool specifically to run some particular functionality.

Modern arrays have better methods to handle workload contention than creating artificial boundaries by dividing things up into spindle groups with different raid types. Usually it’s a sign of technical debt in the IP. Stuff like that is properly handled through QoS.

It’s not even about flash. NetApp, which is old as poo poo, has recommended large aggregates of mixed workloads long before cheap flash was the solution. Entry level Nimble arrays have a pretty modest amount of flash, but they can drive surprisingly high throughout and write activity, which isn’t cached, because their filesystem and raid manager are well integrated.

The stuff still works, sure, but the “flexibility” of being able to provision different raid types or pools with different performance characteristics isn’t really flexibility. It’s one more thing that an operator has to care about because the vendor couldn’t figure out how to solve it for you. But other vendors have.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Dell's ME4024 also looks mildly interesting, and probably about half the price of a Unity box with the same specs.

I've been using Veeam SAN snapshot integration as a driver for these replacements, but would be willing to see how well VMware snaps consolidate on an all flash box.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just did controller hardware upgrades on both of our Pure installs, a+ would have them replace production hardware in the middle of the day again. Zero downtime, zero issues.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

devmd01 posted:

Just did controller hardware upgrades on both of our Pure installs, a+ would have them replace production hardware in the middle of the day again. Zero downtime, zero issues.

I've done this with Nimble, same experience.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Pure is still on the table, just waiting for more quotes. Going to be looking into NetApp as well.
Check out NetApp SolidFire line if all you're doing is iSCSI. Great performance and storage efficiency.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

devmd01 posted:

I remember the first time I did one of these for a customer, it loving ruled. Blew my mind that we could get the controller swaps done in under an hour with no downtime.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I mistakenly bought 16 600 gb 15k sas drives. I was given a free Dell san, but they take the drives out to get recycled.
The drives don't work in the san, I guess they need to be the correct firmware.

I was going to put the drives in a couple dell 720s as I need some dev servers, but they report as Netapp in the raid controller, and say blocked.
One answer on the internet was that the drives might be formatted to 520 byte sectors and they could be reformatted to 512 if you can see them in linux.

All my servers seem to have raid controllers so I doubt that I can get to the point where something can read these drives. What do I need to buy to try reformatting these drives?
Its only like $1k of drives (all junk from ebay) but feels wrong to recycle before I try a few more things?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

There’s some hdparm (?) or scsi commands to flip 512/520 sector size. I found a blog post about it like five years ago but did not save it. You’ll need at least one non raid controller with direct access to the scsi devs tho.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

blindjoe posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I mistakenly bought 16 600 gb 15k sas drives. I was given a free Dell san, but they take the drives out to get recycled.
The drives don't work in the san, I guess they need to be the correct firmware.

I was going to put the drives in a couple dell 720s as I need some dev servers, but they report as Netapp in the raid controller, and say blocked.
One answer on the internet was that the drives might be formatted to 520 byte sectors and they could be reformatted to 512 if you can see them in linux.

All my servers seem to have raid controllers so I doubt that I can get to the point where something can read these drives. What do I need to buy to try reformatting these drives?
Its only like $1k of drives (all junk from ebay) but feels wrong to recycle before I try a few more things?

PCjr sidecar posted:

There’s some hdparm (?) or scsi commands to flip 512/520 sector size. I found a blog post about it like five years ago but did not save it. You’ll need at least one non raid controller with direct access to the scsi devs tho.

code:
sg_format --format --size=512 /dev/sg2
Find a simple JBOD SAS controller, and you can reformat them in 512k blocks and it'll work. I had to do that for my HP 70 Storage Array and my 900GB SAS drives.
Took about 45 minutes per disk for my 900GB SAS disks.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 7, 2019

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

code:
sg_format --format --size=512 /dev/sg2
Find a simple JBOD SAS controller, and you can reformat them in 512k blocks and it'll work. I had to do that for my HP 70 Storage Array and my 900GB SAS drives.
Took about 45 minutes per disk for my 900GB SAS disks.

Any tips for finding a JBOS SAS controller? I have HP G4 thru G9's (though most of the 8 and 9's are in use because they are newer), Dell 2960s, Dell 720s. etc. Everything was usually ordered with a hardware raid controller as Im an industrial electrical engineer, so all the servers are bought for redundancy.

The dell PERCs seem to not support it.

I guessing I have to boot each server and see what pops up when it boots, then google it?

Is there such thing as an PCI adapter I can buy and put in a desktop?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

blindjoe posted:

Any tips for finding a JBOS SAS controller? I have HP G4 thru G9's (though most of the 8 and 9's are in use because they are newer), Dell 2960s, Dell 720s. etc. Everything was usually ordered with a hardware raid controller as Im an industrial electrical engineer, so all the servers are bought for redundancy.

The dell PERCs seem to not support it.

I guessing I have to boot each server and see what pops up when it boots, then google it?

Is there such thing as an PCI adapter I can buy and put in a desktop?

You should verify that your card can't do JBOD mode. The search term you need is "SAS HBA" - you should be able to get a basic one for $150-250 new, much cheaper used. Once you've done the flip with the sg3 utils they should work just fine in whatever you plug them into. The netapp firmware shouldn't impact your ability to use the disks.

https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell-PowerEdge-RAID-Controller-H830.pdf says it has a 'non-raid (JBOD)' mode. Whether that is exposing the raw disks or not remains to be seen.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 7, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
This is the one I used last time:

Dell SAS Raid SCSI 6/iR Controller Card E2K-UCS-61. Can get them for like $25, you'll nee an adapter too.

H110Hawk posted:

You should verify that your card can't do JBOD mode. The search term you need is "SAS HBA" - you should be able to get a basic one for $150-250 new, much cheaper used. Once you've done the flip with the sg3 utils they should work just fine in whatever you plug them into. The netapp firmware shouldn't impact your ability to use the disks.

https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell-PowerEdge-RAID-Controller-H830.pdf says it has a 'non-raid (JBOD)' mode. Whether that is exposing the raw disks or not remains to be seen.

Yup. Really, the only drawback to just reformatting is that you'll lose like 2-4% of the total disk space. But the NetApp firmware won't stop you from using the drives.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 7, 2019

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Some kind of $20 6/iR sas card has been bought, we shall see if I can get it figured out in a server.
Is there some kind of driver I have to find for this thing? I am a windows/vmware kinda guy, linux/cli am just a google engineer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blindjoe posted:

Some kind of $20 6/iR sas card has been bought, we shall see if I can get it figured out in a server.
Is there some kind of driver I have to find for this thing? I am a windows/vmware kinda guy, linux/cli am just a google engineer.

You can just use a USB bootable Linux distro, I used a Debian Live USB. Worked fine.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Great. Ill report back when the card gets here in a week.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Harry Lime posted:

I remember the first time I did one of these for a customer, it loving ruled. Blew my mind that we could get the controller swaps done in under an hour with no downtime.

What's weird is that this seem to be so unique an experience, I mean no wonder companies are dropping their SANs in droves for the cloud if you need a PHD to update it. It should always have been this simple and there is no reason it could not be this simple.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 8, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

every VAR wanted a piece of the maintenance action until simpler SANs and :cloud: stole their lunch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When I was faced with the option to buy a product that I could install myself by following vendor documentation, and one that required the VAR to come onsite and install it for me, I didn't ever think "woah that one that I can't install myself must be so good that I can't handle it", I thought that picking that option would result in having to pay someone else to do everything for me for as long as the kit was installed.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Aunt Beth posted:

Check out NetApp SolidFire line if all you're doing is iSCSI. Great performance and storage efficiency.

One nice thing about Pure is their evergreen support program. Basically if you stay current they'll keep your gear current without having to do hardware refreshes. It sounds insane but it ends up being a great way to keep customers giving you money for your product.

I'd say it's probably the most interesting part of buying Pure.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

1000101 posted:

One nice thing about Pure is their evergreen support program. Basically if you stay current they'll keep your gear current without having to do hardware refreshes. It sounds insane but it ends up being a great way to keep customers giving you money for your product.

I'd say it's probably the most interesting part of buying Pure.

We have a similar deal with Nimble - we get free controller upgrades every three years, provided we keep maintenance on it. I don't have the specifics in front of me but I believe we need to renew for a minimum of three years at a time to be eligible for this.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

blindjoe posted:

In case anyone else looks for this, turns out if you buy the wrong UCI-61 card, it has some some weird firmware on it and is not an HBA.
It is dells' PERC S300, which is a Windows Only software raid controller.

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-HDD-SCSI-RAID/Difference-between-PERC-S300-and-6-I-6-IR/td-p/4300844
(mine is 0U558P, which is not either of what those guys said, but doesn't work either way)

So now I have some more electronics recycling, and am back to trying to find a controller I can tell to be JBOD something.
Id really like a USB connector - someone was trying to convince me that a SAS drive was the same as a sata and I could just plug them in, but this hasn't been tested yet.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Western Digital is getting out:

https://www.westerndigital.com/comp...storage-systems

I’m curious what DDN is going to do, they’ve been a larger scale player than WD was, although DDN did pick up the corpse of Tintri as well as Nexenta.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Today I learned that WD ever had a product beyond disk drives in the first place.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
They bought Tegile in 2017.

Never physically seen or spoke to anyone using WD branded storage though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah, they had acquired Tegile and also sold a line of on-prem object storage called ActiveScale for folks that needed that (competing with Cloudian, Scality, etc).

From the markets I've seen they had success picking off NetApp customers before NetApp kinda got their poo poo together again.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 20, 2019

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Lol, last week I saw a WD Enterprise Storage add up in an REI, it was very out of place.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Aquila posted:

Lol, last week I saw a WD Enterprise Storage add up in an REI, it was very out of place.

Was it really though?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I've got a couple of Tegile units and shelves and will need to be replacing them next year, so I'll be looking to replacing them with something else most likely. I'm running hybrid now, probably going to flash. Going to meet with Pure Thursday.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'm in the same boat, replacing 3x Nimble hybrid arrays with all flash.

I really am liking how the Dell/EMC Unity XT line is looking. Also looked into Pure/NetApp/Nimble.

Moey fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 23, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

I'm in the same boat, replacing 3x Nimble hybrid arrays with all flash.

I really am liking how the Dell/EMC Unity XT line is looking. Also looked into Pure/NetApp/Nimble.

Ehh, the newer Gen 5 HPE/Nimble arrays are 35" deep, so they won't fit in a standard depth rack. They have rail extension kits, but we have vertical PDUs and cable management are in the way as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How do they manage to make them so deep?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Thanks Ants posted:

Very carefully.

(I’m looking at a few platforms well north of 40”.)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
VNX5300 is wiped, powered down, and cables ripped out. We’re gonna have a company come pick it up next week and give us $300. Good riddance! We are now 100% Pure only.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

devmd01 posted:

VNX5300 is wiped, powered down, and cables ripped out. We’re gonna have a company come pick it up next week and give us $300. Good riddance! We are now 100% Pure only.

What a glorious day!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gently caress EMC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

The modular controller units are very narrow and deep.