Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Yeah, that intercept just won Japan the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Japan is gonna loving win all their pool games

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

loving glad Wales had Fiji in their group and not Japan.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Japan going to win Pool A

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
poo poo yeah. Go Japan.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lol at Carrberry just 'gently caress this' and putting it out.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Yeeeeees yeeeeees yeeeeees

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

He loving kicked it out? What the gently caress?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jedimastafez posted:

Japan going to win Pool A

God willing :hai:

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

bessantj posted:

Was he bursting to get back inside for a piss or something? Why the gently caress would you kick it out when you are behind and that close to full time?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Japan to beat Scotland now

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

bessantj posted:

At that point they couldn't win, so they could only get one extra point from the draw.

... Or he didn't look at the clock.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Great win Japan, and some really smart tactics playing to their strengths.

But wtf to Carrberry just booting it out?

e:oh I see

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Has anyone said Direland yet?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stavros880 posted:

Was he bursting to get back inside for a piss or something? Why the gently caress would you kick it out when you are behind and that close to full time?

poo poo attitude from the whole team in general. Referee wasn’t kind but nobody in green came close to even wanting to win this game.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Plucky Brit posted:

At that point they couldn't win, so they could only get one extra point from the draw.
As an England fan I can confirm draws are meaningless and never helped anyone.

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
German commentators speculating he wanted to secure the defensive bonus point lol

incredible game

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

oh no computer posted:

As an England fan I can confirm draws are meaningless and never helped anyone.

:negative:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Plucky Brit posted:

... Or he didn't look at the clock.

Yeah, they draw and win the group. He can't have known the time.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Surprised how one sided that game was after Ireland scored their second try. It was about 50 minutes of Japanese offense apart from the desperate Irish attack 5 minutes from the end.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

gently caress yes.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

That Japanese defense and passing line was quite frankly masterclass

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
loving hell - well worth finding the one place in Madrid to watch that game. So impressed by the Japanese right now. Also pretty damning for the Irish - all the issues from earlier this year right back on the pitch. Out in the quarters again!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Flayer posted:

Surprised how one sided that game was after Ireland scored their second try. It was about 50 minutes of Japanese offense apart from the desperate Irish attack 5 minutes from the end.

It's wild. Ireland scored on what, the 21st minute? Then not again for the whole game.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

fallingdownjoe posted:

loving hell - well worth finding the one place in Madrid to watch that game. So impressed by the Japanese right now. Also pretty damning for the Irish - all the issues from earlier this year right back on the pitch. Out in the quarters again!

If Ireland remain 2nd, they face the All Blacks in the quarters, and they'd probably be in a bit of a point-proving mood, I imagine.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Spin And Speed posted:

German commentators speculating he wanted to secure the defensive bonus point lol

incredible game

Is this being broadcast somewhere in Germany? I'm having to use a VPN to get ITV, but it's sometimes pretty unreliable.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
I once played rugby with a group of Irish lads and they gave the fattest guy on their team the nickname "fat oval office". This is all to say well done Japan

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vagabundo posted:

If Ireland remain 2nd, they face the All Blacks in the quarters, and they'd probably be in a bit of a point-proving mood, I imagine.

Three-dimensional chess by Joe Schmidt!?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Someone on twitter said the world cup should be scrapped and was too predictable, someone else came up with these stats

quote:

Football world cup semi-finalists:
France, Croatia, Belgium, England
Germany, Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil
Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Uruguay
Italy, France, Germany, Portugal
Brazil, Germany, Turkey, South Korea
France, Brazil, Croatia, Netherlands
Brazil, Italy, Sweden, Bulgaria
Germany, Argentina, Italy, England

17 different semi-finalists,
9 different finalists,
5 winners

Rugby world cup semi-finalists:
NZ, Australia, South Africa, Argentina
NZ, France, Australia, Wales
South Africa, England, Argentina, France
England, Australia, NZ, France
Australia, France, South Africa, NZ
South Africa, NZ, France, England
Australia, England, NZ, Scotland
NZ, France, Wales, Australia

8 different semi-finalists,
6 different finalists,
4 winners

So rugby not doing too badly really.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Japan were class, Ireland not scoring in an hour of rugby is shocking from them.
Boks are scoring when they want to here, I think the ref didn't want to card that Namibian guy he kniws what way this is going.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Vagabundo posted:

Thats what worries me

But if Scotland beat Japan then Ireland are out?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jedimastafez posted:

Thats what worries me

But if Scotland beat Japan then Ireland are out?

Depends what happens with Scotland and Ireland games against Russia and Samoa but Ireland should be safe even if Scotland beat Japan.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
How was that try just given? The pass from the ruck was miles forward.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

stavros880 posted:

How was that try just given? The pass from the ruck was miles forward.

Yeah terrible decision.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
I saw Namibia play Australia in 2003 WC. Didn't plan on going, but my dad assured me Namibia were not too bad. Perhaps on the level of a Springbok B side. Trusting his superior rugby knowledge I bought tickets and went along, only to spend 80 minutes watching Namibia kick-off, Aus casually stroll down to score under the posts, convert, reset. Not sure there was a contested ball all game, in the air or the ruck. 140 odd to nil I seem to remember.

At least there hasn't been anything like that this time around. Actually I have been suprised at the standard played by some of the lower ranked teams. Seems to be a quality and fitness you didn't often see from these 10-15 years ago.

Also my dad is a bastard sometimes, and thought it was funny as hell.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Slumfrog posted:

I saw Namibia play Australia in 2003 WC. Didn't plan on going, but my dad assured me Namibia were not too bad. Perhaps on the level of a Springbok B side. Trusting his superior rugby knowledge I bought tickets and went along, only to spend 80 minutes watching Namibia kick-off, Aus casually stroll down to score under the posts, convert, reset. Not sure there was a contested ball all game, in the air or the ruck. 140 odd to nil I seem to remember.

At least there hasn't been anything like that this time around. Actually I have been suprised at the standard played by some of the lower ranked teams. Seems to be a quality and fitness you didn't often see from these 10-15 years ago.

Also my dad is a bastard sometimes, and thought it was funny as hell.

142-0 if I remember.

Nasty tackle on Leitch which injured his neck

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

HOLY loving poo poo JAPAN GET THE gently caress INNNNN

Every bullet train stop between Hamamatsu and Tokyo is going to be absolutely dry by the time the Japanese fans are done tonight.

Slumfrog posted:

Thinking back, this might have been the game I remember watching in high school where they said the opponent scrum pack was on roller skates

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Thanks go out to Ireland for taking one for the team and losing to Japan before Scotland do.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Namibia are going to win this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

I don't think Namibia are going to win this one.

Saffa kicker just missed the conversion so there's a chance!