Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
The Rock and Stone Cold are still called that in this timeline but they're ladies now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Macho Ma'am Candy Savage

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

T-man posted:

Maybe it'll go Paris Commune and there's an angry gem trying to shatter high caste gems for Crimes Against Stevenism.

We all thought the watermelon steven society split was just a metaphor for steven bringing the diamonds to gether but actually....

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Azza Bamboo posted:

In Message Received Amethyst jokes about a plan to literally get inside of someone's head to change their mind. Seeing this on a rewatch makes me think about the White Diamond scene.

Yeah that's fairly deliberate foreshadowing.

Between that and all the Pink Diamond clues throughout the series I'm pretty sure they had planned almost the entire series out in advance even early on.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lunatic Sledge posted:

The Rock and Stone Cold are still called that in this timeline but they're ladies now
Tom Hardy (who is a cat.)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ApplesandOranges posted:

Between that and all the Pink Diamond clues throughout the series I'm pretty sure they had planned almost the entire series out in advance even early on.

from what I've heard from crew interviews, Steg was in the planning by the end of season 1, Pink Lars was planned out by episode 4.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd go further and say it's the start of a motif. Once Amethyst has said this, Steven enters the watermelon Stevens, does the thing with the Cluster, takes over Lars and convinces the diamonds he is who he is including (on a later occasion) White Diamond. It seems to open the floodgates for this theme. You could dismiss this as not so much being a theme as a single ability which Steven learns at this point.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm pretty sure they had planned almost the entire series out in advance even early on.

Absolutely, and this is why I'm keen to rewatch when there's a good break in the series. It's not only neat to catch the things foreshadowing what I know now, but to try and see if there's any open ends in the story which haven't been patched up.

We still don't know what Peridot meant by "you're going to harvest me?!"

While we see Lapis getting poofed and the story of her getting put in the mirror, we don't know why she visited Earth. All that's said is that she was only supposed to visit for a short while. The only background we're getting for her thus far is that Lapis is designed to terraform.

I noticed that in Serious Steven we see a square cut yellow gem which formed the building that trapped the gems inside for that episode. Much later we see square edged yellow gems forming the walls up to Yellow Diamond's palace chambers. I wonder if we're going to get an answer to the question I haven't quite formed linking these two.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 27, 2019

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm operating under the assumption that "harvesting" means permanently destroying most or all of a gem's consciousness so that their magic can be used to power an object instead of a person.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm operating under the assumption that "harvesting" means permanently destroying most or all of a gem's consciousness so that their magic can be used to power an object instead of a person.

I wonder if the gem object is still useable after that, ie if it can be reinjected once drained and whether that creates an entirely new gem persona or whether it just restores the old one?

It'd be interesting because it could mean there's gem precedent for bequeathing your gem to your successor.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I wonder if the gem object is still useable after that, ie if it can be reinjected once drained and whether that creates an entirely new gem persona or whether it just restores the old one?

It'd be interesting because it could mean there's gem precedent for bequeathing your gem to your successor.

Lapis was harvested, but she got better.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Madurai posted:

Lapis was harvested, but she got better.

Clearly

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Absolutely, and this is why I'm keen to rewatch when there's a good break in the series. It's not only neat to catch the things foreshadowing what I know now, but to try and see if there's any open ends in the story which haven't been patched up.

Pearl mimes the rotation of Pink's gemstone with her hands as far back as season 1, too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lapis was not damaged in the way that a harvested gem would be, but they used her to power an object anyway. Not only was this cruel, it also inhibited the object's correct functioning.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

How does Lapis's ability to manipulate water translate into viewing remote objects?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

How does Lapis's ability to manipulate water translate into viewing remote objects?

Reflections in water.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

:unsmith:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

:yaycloud:

Steven universe has so many good lessons from episode to episode. I can understand being disappointed or stopping watching the show over some of the big picture poo poo they missed like the diamonds but people who make assignments of bad character to Rebecca Sugar or calling the show complete garbage make me suspicious.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I never really understood the level of vitriol the show gets. It’s not perfect and yeah, it drops the ball sometimes, and it’s perfectly fine to just say it’s not your cup of tea. But does it really need an entire subsection of Tumblr dedicated to hating it and ten thousand YouTube videos titled “STEVEN UNIVERSE IS REPREHENSIBLE GARBAGE AND RESPONSIBLE FOR MY PARENTS DYING AND MY WIFE DIVORCING ME”

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

Similarly it looks like many if not most Quartz do just love fighting going off Amethyst, Famithyst and Jasper.

Which might cause some issues in new peaceful Gempire. A lot of gems cam probably keep doing their jobs but you can only have so many arena fighters or whatever.

Based on Amethyst's model, all she'll have to do is teach the Quartz army how to eat and dick around. Maybe teach some courses on the joy of shapeshifting, since that seems to be generally looked down upon in gem society.

Or, given the Gems' seemingly natural predilection for music (between all the singing and all the CGs knowing a musical instrument and Rose attending random rock concerts), the Quartz army can shift from battles for expanding the empire to battles of the bands.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Butt Detective posted:

I never really understood the level of vitriol the show gets. It’s not perfect and yeah, it drops the ball sometimes, and it’s perfectly fine to just say it’s not your cup of tea. But does it really need an entire subsection of Tumblr dedicated to hating it and ten thousand YouTube videos titled “STEVEN UNIVERSE IS REPREHENSIBLE GARBAGE AND RESPONSIBLE FOR MY PARENTS DYING AND MY WIFE DIVORCING ME”

See that one post somewhere about 'smashed bathrooms' where angry and frustrated people with no power to affect what's really hurting them will take it out on anything they feel they can exert power and control over, including holding progressive creators up to impossible standards they can't hope to impose on much bigger ones, on top of clout-seekers who just go after what they perceive to be easy targets they can knock down for progressive brownie points. Also on top of the usual right-wing hatred for everything good there's also a lot of right-wingers who've learned to cloak their hate in progressive and social justice language.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Saw some cool art reposted by the Steven Universe facebook and I had to share it here.

It's from darlsdraws Instagram.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Butt Detective posted:

Hyperbole is easy and things are either wonderful and amazing like the prologue in a zombie apocalypse or they're the worst like the Terminator future.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SardonicTyrant posted:

That's just the orb on the moon. The same one Pink used to watch the amethysts emerging.

She can also see through her constructs though. It works because she gave them eyes.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 28, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can't help but notice that Bismuth's star is different. It has a triangle underneath it.

I wonder if this is building up to there being a rift inside of the crystal gems, with the other side of this split under this alternate banner.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Azza Bamboo posted:

I can't help but notice that Bismuth's star is different. It has a triangle underneath it.

I wonder if this is building up to there being a rift inside of the crystal gems, with the other side of this split under this alternate banner.

Maybe, but a star with triangle base has always been her symbol since her first appearance, a version is on the forge and it's in Steven's new house. It's her personal mark - a combination star and anvil.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think it's either the ziggurat, which is likely the triangle building on the battlefield that was the yellow gem they captured in Serious Steven and also the place Rose captured her, or it's the point. Either way in this theory it's a deviation on the star emblem that symbolises how her personal views deviate from the mainstream of the crystal gems.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I think it's just a simplified echo of the Star/Anvil.

Her personal costumes and designs are all about the triangles (she has them repeated on all of her outfits) so I think she combined the triangle with the star to create the anvil symbol and the simpler version as her mark. It's on the breaking point, but a triangle/star is also present in the design of connie's sword.

I think her having a special symbol is part of the image of craftsmen like that having a maker's mark to signify their work.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 28, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kind of the whole thing with the Crystal Gems is individuality being, well, allowed at all, so it's not surprising that members have their own custom uniforms and variants on the symbol.

Also funny thing that Peridot's shades along with her hair make another five-pointed star.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
She wasn't sure where to put the star so she just put it everywhere

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Currently at a Q&A in Ottawa with Rebecca Sugar, Kat, and Joe... someone asked for an update on Jasper's whereabouts, and RS's response was "I'll just ask you to be patient, but you won't have to be patient for long"

:D

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

thexerox123 posted:

you won't have to be patient for long

6000 years is nothing!

But for real that's exciting news.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jasper is the mayor of Little Homeworld.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My money is on 'grumpily living in the woods somewhere'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jasper has 23 jobs and they're all being bodygaurds.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Future Girl T-man see gayness, sadness, and singing in your future!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

thexerox123 posted:

Currently at a Q&A in Ottawa with Rebecca Sugar, Kat, and Joe... someone asked for an update on Jasper's whereabouts, and RS's response was "I'll just ask you to be patient, but you won't have to be patient for long"

God willing this means season six is starting soon.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

cartoon network chuckles ominously

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

thexerox123 posted:

How was it?? I really wanted to go but couldn't make it, unfortunately.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Steven Universe was actually written, animated, and voiced back in Sugar's Zim fanfiction days, it's just taken CN 20 years to air it.

Ya'll are gonna love her next show you'll see, Bismuth's Capitalist Removal Fun Hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

On one hand we know when season 6 began boarding, and CN's already aired the OK KO eps that were being boarded after season 6 began boarding

On the other hand:

rannum posted:

cartoon network chuckles ominously