Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kirika
Dess
View Results

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Redeeming Carol was good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bad dad isnt well executed but hes at least hypothetically an interesting angle to take. i would take a thousand scenes with him over a single pointless alcanoise fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked Bad Dad. Not as a character so his appearances this season didn't do much for me but as this obstacle for Hibiki. Sure she can reach understanding with and communicate honestly with megalomanical villains and redeem some awful people, but can she do the same with her lovely Dad that ran out on her??? It feels like more personally powerful for Hibiki than her interactions with Fine or any of the other villains throughout the show. Not as powerful as the times the show goes into her and Miku's relationship and how she can be a pretty bad girlfriend but I still liked it.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Endorph posted:

ver and bad dad were the only remotely interesting or charismatic parts of gx. gx's actual issue was a bunch of nothing fights that went actively made the plot take longer to resolve.

carol: muahaha. my plan is to have the symphogears get into a bunch of pointless fights.
*the symphogears get into pointless fights for seven episodes*

remember when it was maria's turn and they flashbacked to a scene that happened like five minutes beforehand lol

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I love hibiki and miku and I'm gonna cry

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Symphogear rules that was a great loving show

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Symphogear rules that was a great loving show

:emptyquote:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/CassKaasan/status/1178036571116720128

Nana Mizuki's powers are strong

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
"check my trips" - nana mizuki

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Great loving show. My only complaint is that I wish the season was longer. But for fitting in a 13 episode limit, it was so goddamn good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked Bad Dad. Not as a character so his appearances this season didn't do much for me but as this obstacle for Hibiki. Sure she can reach understanding with and communicate honestly with megalomanical villains and redeem some awful people, but can she do the same with her lovely Dad that ran out on her??? It feels like more personally powerful for Hibiki than her interactions with Fine or any of the other villains throughout the show. Not as powerful as the times the show goes into her and Miku's relationship and how she can be a pretty bad girlfriend but I still liked it.

Yeah Hibiki's core overwhelming character trait and identity is her desire to connect with and talk it out with literally anyone, no matter how evil or misguided they are. It's a running thing that she's still trying to negotiate with villains while they're in the process of literally destroying the world, and she's willing to forgive them for pretty much anything because she wants to understand them. It causes her intense emotional distress whenever she fails to make those connections, either because the opposing party refuses them or the opposing party loving dies.

By this metric, her interacting with Bad Dad is really interesting - his Badness is deeply traumatic to her, personally, and it's a really strenuous test of her philosophy of being able to communicate with anyone - it's legitimately harder for her to establish a relationship with her father than it is for her to establish relationships with a succession of cackling world-destroying villains who are literally attempting to kill her. I wish we had more time to explore that, but Symphogear was never really about long form character beats like that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wish they didn't cop out with the confession. What did my non-goon friend say...

"this is japan we're talking about, we were never going to get a proper kiss, unless it was an officially designated Yuri Romance Series, which sadly it's not"

So I'll agree with the take that the producers likely shot it down.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There have actually been a couple of shows with on-screen gay kisses that weren't overtly advertised as yuri. Bodacious Space Pirates and Sword Art Online Alternative come to mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iospace posted:

I wish they didn't cop out with the confession. What did my non-goon friend say...

"this is japan we're talking about, we were never going to get a proper kiss, unless it was an officially designated Yuri Romance Series, which sadly it's not"

So I'll agree with the take that the producers likely shot it down.
lol yeah, unlike all the onscreen gay kisses you get in mainstream american media, like

this is because Capitalism, not Japan. There's a reason the most The Avengers could muster for gay rep was 'nameless background character who lost his husband when thanos killed everyone.' It's a universal problem with regards to a system that rewards the stuff that ruffles the least feathers, not because Japan is somehow incapable of gay representation. Frankly I've seen more mainstream stuff with half-decent gay representation from Japan than anywhere else. That has more to do with Japan having a way more scattershot field of popculture where way more niche stuff can make its way to the mainstream purely by happenstance, rather than any inherent qualities of the country, but still. Approval of gay marriage in Japan is basically the same as it is in the US.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 29, 2019

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wish there had been just one more episode for dealing with Shem-Ha because this episode was just constantly moving from one thing to another. I still liked this season but the Monster Squad didn't need to stick around for almost all of it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

To be honest now that I've had a think about it Noble Red were awful in general

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 29, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh my only issue with noble red is the dumb concert scene, besides that they're pretty funny villains

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They're pretty easily the worst non-autoscorer villains in the franchise IMO, and even then the autoscorers are basically non-characters so that's damning with faint praise.

That said I think that's more of an artifact of the season's story than anything else and both not really knowing what to do with them and not giving them any sort of time to breathe and develop.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Noble Red had a interesting hook, which is Human's who became monsters trying to become human again. While on that journey they got tempted with the power of monsters and some decided to become full monsters for a bit. It's just the show didn't spend much time on it cause it had so much it had to do this season (which is one of the main issues I have with the season)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

tbh my only issue with noble red is the dumb concert scene, besides that they're pretty funny villains

I think that scene is probably the most unnecessary part of the season.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

I think that scene is probably the most unnecessary part of the season.

It could have been a really, really powerful emotional hook if they were going for a completely different approach to the rest of the season(how awful can your crimes be and still be forgiven by the protagonists? is there a line?), but since they didn't have any interest in telling that story(which is fine), it's just awkward and lovely because it feels like everyone in-show, even Tsubasa, totally forgot about that time that 100,000 civilians were murdered at a concert by Noble Red and Millaarc pulled a child's guts out.

Most Symphogear villains are guilty of some amazingly horrible stuff but it's sanitized(see the alchemists killing those dudes by making them turn into glowy lights) or offscreened to make sympathizing with them more palatable, so when you want Noble Red to have the standard Symphogear treatment of "why can't we understand each other" it falls completely flat when the audience remembers fuckin Splatterhouse.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They remind me of the bad guys from Nanoha Force, where their goals are not inherently unsympathetic but the way they carry themselves and the enjoyment they seem to take being cruel to others made most readers not want to sympathize with them. The concert scene is most obvious, but Vanessa remarking happily on the road fight that "oh, but you couldn't keep me from killing people!" was also unnecessary.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Justin_Brett posted:

but Vanessa remarking happily on the road fight that "oh, but you couldn't keep me from killing people!" was also unnecessary.

She was also deliberately trying to kill people during the fight.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I wonder how the story would play out if Shem-Ha immediately ganked all of Noble Red like we thought.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Billzasilver posted:

I wonder how the story would play out if Shem-Ha immediately ganked all of Noble Red like we thought.

Shem-Ha would have to sneak onto the rocket to the moon. She needed Nobel Red to get the backdoor installed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They could just skip that whole part of the plot and gotten another episode or two for fighting Shem-ha and having an epilogue, which would have been a huge improvement.

On the other hand, we'd lose pro wrestling Milaarc and miniature Milaarc, tough choice

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Fudo part of the series is a way better part to cut stuff out of then the back half, because Fudo sucks hard; at least Noble Red had a couple of okay fight sequences. I get that he's been building up as an antagonist for several seasons but his entire purpose in this season is "be a moron stooge who commits a ton of crimes only for his plan to utterly fail and doom the planet".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

counterpoint, everything about fudou's fight scene owned and it was also the show yelling about shinzo abe sucking

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE MURAKUMO, WHICH I VALUE MORE HIGHLY THAN MY OWN LIFE

edit: and in a show where literally every other villain has been a foreigner who was defeated by the unity and strength of a japanese governmental organization and which describes europe as 'an abyss,' fudou serves another important role of, making the show not a political diatribe

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

counterpoint, everything about fudou's fight scene owned and it was also the show yelling about shinzo abe sucking

Yeah but they could have had that cool fight scene and yelling about Shinzo Abe sucking without devoting half the series to spinning their wheels about it.

Like the premise of the character is "ultranationalist Japan-first zealot so obsessed with defending Japan that he commits atrocities on Japanese soil and nearly damns the world trying to "protect" Japan", you don't need so much shadowy political maneuvering for that to be clear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe im just in an odd position because i dont really care about miku and never have

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The bad part of the Fudo storyline is that Tsubasa's arc this season was lame!

I'm mad nothing was really done with the whole "you can't protect others with songs" thing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Miku's not my favorite character either, but I would have rather they spent time fleshing out Shem-ha as an antagonist because if she's gonna be the Final Villain Of Symphogear she deserves at least as much buildup as any of the other nerds the Symphogears have dunked.

e: Remember that half-episode where they made it seem like a big deal that the Symphogear squad was being locked down/restricted by the Japanese government and it was resolved offscreen almost immediately?

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 29, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/alma314_/status/1178064567408058369

symphogear is maybe the best literal accident to ever happen

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Oh yeah the last two songs were good, has any translation popped up yet?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I know there's some folks working on them, but I don't think they've finished their editing; at least there're translations in progress.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

amusingly the spanish cr has them translated and also has metanoia backwards on screen at the same time

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah what english cr won't tell you is that metanoia is 'ai no tame' (for love's sake) backwards, but spanish cr made it amusingly clear

it looks like someone's powerpoint text animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Space Flower posted:

yeah what english cr won't tell you is that metanoia is 'ai no tame' (for love's sake) backwards, but spanish cr made it amusingly clear

[spoiler][/soiler]

it looks like someone's powerpoint text animation

That owns.