Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What was the consensus on format set to 4k HDR or SDR, match content (dynamic range and frame rate) on vs. off, and chroma 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. I remember a lot of back and forth and bro science about it.

I have a Samsung KS8000 with eh quality HDR. I do have a high speed cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What was the consensus on format set to 4k HDR or SDR, match content (dynamic range and frame rate) on vs. off, and chroma 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. I remember a lot of back and forth and bro science about it.

I have a Samsung KS8000 with eh quality HDR. I do have a high speed cable

For sure you want to set the AppleTV to 4K SDR and match content since the majority of content you’re gonna watch won’t be HDR so you don’t want the AppleTV constantly switching between an HDR menu and SDR content. With this setting, you’ll only be switching formats (and getting the 2-3 second screen blackout/flicker) in the rare occasion you watch HDR content.

I don’t know about chroma though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In case others hadn’t spotted this, if you press Menu and TV at the same time in the new update, it brings up a menu that lets you do quick user switching amongst a few other things.

Anyone else seem to have a null user they can’t remove? Bit annoying

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

In case others hadn’t spotted this, if you press Menu and TV at the same time in the new update, it brings up a menu that lets you do quick user switching amongst a few other things.

Anyone else seem to have a null user they can’t remove? Bit annoying

I think you JUST need to hold the home button (aka TV button), not both.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah might well be, I trigged it when doing a reboot so I happened to be pressing both.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
TvOS 13 added that. It's like control center. Also it's just hold tv button to bring it up.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

These new underwater screen savers are freaking gorgeous. As are many of the aerials.

Does anyone have info on how those are shot? Some of them seem like they must be some some decent altitude with a long lens and high frame rate...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you're a fan of the Aerial screensavers I found this which applies them to macOS. It downloads them from the Apple servers just like an AppleTV would and you can even save and view the raw files if you want. They look great on a 5k display.

https://github.com/JohnCoates/Aerial

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mahoning posted:

For sure you want to set the AppleTV to 4K SDR and match content since the majority of content you’re gonna watch won’t be HDR so you don’t want the AppleTV constantly switching between an HDR menu and SDR content. With this setting, you’ll only be switching formats (and getting the 2-3 second screen blackout/flicker) in the rare occasion you watch HDR content.

I don’t know about chroma though.

That sounds about right. Thanks so much! I know I'll lose HDR in screen savers but lol w/e.

Am curious about chroma though. On a cursory glance I can't find a good answer on google.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apparently it’s negligible and even less so In video playback, if it syncs at 4:2:2 then use it if it doesn’t then don’t lose sleep over it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Two things,

First it’s loving frustrating trying to fast forward with the stupid fuckin touch pad.

Second how the hell is it possible that the YouTube tv app override the screen saver? Like if you pause a program the screen saver never comes up.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

This video explains the video settings pretty well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't mind using the touch pad for navigation, if it weren't because Apple don't enforce the control schemes throughout all the apps in the store which means it's basically a lottery what happens when you try to skip back or ahead.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The worst is the way scrubbing and skipping works in the lovely YouTube app. So the “press on the right/left side of the touchpad to skip ahead/back 10 seconds” action KINDA works, but only if the scrub bar is NOT on the screen. The problem is the scrub bar pops up if you touch the touchpad. So to actually trigger the skip function you need to click the side of the touchpad so quickly without the scrub bar popping up.

It’s a really poor design.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Anyone else having problems with "Up Next?" On a fresh start of the TV app, it's right there at the top. Then a bunch of other content loads and it disappears. I even asked Siri to show me what's up next and she took me to the app, but there's nothing there but ads for TV+ and shows I could be watching, but aren't.

This update also seems to have broken HDMI-CEC for me. Over the last few years its gone:

* AppleTV 1 and AppleTV pre-4k: Remote turns on TV and switches input, AppleTV is ready
* AppleTV pre-4k with 12.4 update: Remote turns on TV and switches input, blank screen for about 20s
* AppleTV pre-4k with 13: Remote turns on AppleTV, so I got that going for me

Nothing changed with the TV, and the PS4 still turns stuff on (but not off, naturally).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CEC still works for me but the whole CEC thing is that it's different for everybody.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
The magic dance for my Samsung is to unplug it and all the other devices from power for 15 minutes. Then in after the device has been powered on, plug it into the turned on TV

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Gillman posted:

The magic dance for my Samsung is to unplug it and all the other devices from power for 15 minutes. Then in after the device has been powered on, plug it into the turned on TV

This always works on my Samsung, especially when the HDMI arc stops working on the sound system (which is also Samsung).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have AT&T mobile unlimited Premium whatever the gently caress. For my phone. This gives me access to their WatchTV app/streaming. And HBO.
Do any of you fine folks know if I can plug in my credentials anywhere so that it kinda integrates with the ATV TV app or whatever?

Have I asked this before? Am I losing my mind? :)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Feenix posted:

I have AT&T mobile unlimited Premium whatever the gently caress. For my phone. This gives me access to their WatchTV app/streaming. And HBO.
Do any of you fine folks know if I can plug in my credentials anywhere so that it kinda integrates with the ATV TV app or whatever?

Have I asked this before? Am I losing my mind? :)

my understanding is that you have to sign up for multiple services then only watch HBO through the AT&T app

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm not sure this is correct. He's saying that if you have it set to HDR in the menus, it will tonemap SDR content to HDR. But I'm almost positive that if you have match frame rate and color selected, it will still switch back to original-format SDR once you start playing the content.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm not sure this is correct. He's saying that if you have it set to HDR in the menus, it will tonemap SDR content to HDR. But I'm almost positive that if you have match frame rate and color selected, it will still switch back to original-format SDR once you start playing the content.

I got "set SDR in the menus otherwise the menus will sometimes look like rear end" and that if you set to match frame rate and color then playback will automatically choose the right settings. My take was that that setting is only for the benefit of the home screen/menus/apps (as long as the "match" settings are set for video playback)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Bunch of apps out today like Spotify and (official) Twitch.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Twitchy has been pretty good, so I'm not gonna dump that unless the actual Twitch app offers anything better.

Spotify, though, is a hell yeah.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Fartington Butts posted:

Twitchy has been pretty good, so I'm not gonna dump that unless the actual Twitch app offers anything better.

Twitchy already wins for me because it doesn't auto-play content.

Shame there isn't a Twitchy app for iOS proper. (I love third-party apps which just toss away the cruff of the first-party app, a'la TweetBot for Twitter, Apollo for Reddit and so on.)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Twitchy has a dodgy chat delay that isn't synced with the video feed, but other than that it's basically what you'd want an official app to do.

The official app has a much prettier UX with none of the dumb shortcuts that you keep activating by mistake. The BTTV support in Twitchy is nice, though it's obvious why it wouldn't be in the official app.

I wonder if [url=https://old.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/dee1ay/twitchy_app_issue_on_tvos_13/]Twitch will keep working or not[/url9 after this release. I'm still pretty surprised it was allowed to operate.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I have a bit of Amazon credit which I would like to use to sub to HBO for a bit. Can I watch HBO through the Prime Video app or does Apple have this weirdly locked up to only work with HBO Go/Now?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

I have a bit of Amazon credit which I would like to use to sub to HBO for a bit. Can I watch HBO through the Prime Video app or does Apple have this weirdly locked up to only work with HBO Go/Now?

It’s through the amazon app and the video quality is remarkably better.

The HBO app is poo poo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Spotify app is so loving good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

The HBO app is poo poo.

Yeah watching the last few seasons of GOT over the last many years I kept thinking “I know this is streaming but wasn’t this filmed recent-ish? Why is the quality so poo poo?”

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah watching the last few seasons of GOT over the last many years I kept thinking “I know this is streaming but wasn’t this filmed recent-ish? Why is the quality so poo poo?”

Yeah this.

The PQ in the Amazon app especially for the dark scenes is incredible.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this.

The PQ in the Amazon app especially for the dark scenes is incredible.

Not to say to NOT use the Amazon app, but I’ve found the same to be true with the Apple TV “Channel” for HBO.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

blast0rama posted:

Not to say to NOT use the Amazon app, but I’ve found the same to be true with the Apple TV “Channel” for HBO.

Ok well that’s interesting!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I think it has to do with Apple using their own streaming tech to process/share the videos (as with all the Channels), much like Amazon Prime.

In turn, Apple holds to their quality standard AND locks you into another subscription on their device (which can be Family Shared.)

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I'm thinking of finally getting a Apple TV 4K and was wondering if it's really necessary to get the 64Gb model. I've never had any space issues on Apple TV 4/HD and as I undestand it the ATV won't download 4K content, only stream it correct?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

choobs posted:

I'm thinking of finally getting a Apple TV 4K and was wondering if it's really necessary to get the 64Gb model. I've never had any space issues on Apple TV 4/HD and as I undestand it the ATV won't download 4K content, only stream it correct?

I'm pretty sure the 64 gig exists solely to extract twenty extra dollars from those people who just automatically buy the most expensive version of everything.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

choobs posted:

Probably useful if you're going to use Arcade but otherwise its not needed. You miiiight want to hold off until after the next event with rumors flying around about an updated ATV.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I wish I could download movies/shows to my device like any other iOS device

or YouTube videos

ufarn
May 30, 2009
ATV storage is entirely for caching games I think.

Maybe it can do something for pre-downloading movies and show for people with slow internet, but it was never something I discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The underwater screen savers are legit amazing.