Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grem posted:

Where did you find Assassin Vestige D?

They're all in the Howling Pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Caidin posted:

Okay I've found the Source at the cathedral or whatever and I think I've totally lost the thread on the this plot. Okay so is Karen the Queen then? I thought that was the Cruz lady? And regardless now we have to go do a Simon's quest and find a bunch of queen bits? Did the government build the Anor Lando set for Aurora to nap in?

I just got this far and I'm really not sure how you misinterpreted this. Karen is the source of Blood Beads, she isn't the Queen. The queen is Cruz who was split up into pieces.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lmao at this pole dancing boss

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I can't stand anime and this honestly might be my favorite dark souls clone. Imo the controls play extremely tight. The character customization is on point. 8 active abilities and 4 passives at any given point. The ability to on-the-fly select classes and permanently unlock abilities.

Like, six or seven weapon categories. But not all single swords have the same attack animations. So, aside from different statistics like weight, dmg, etc, liking the animation of your attacks his huge.

The biggest con for me isn't even the anime as heck story which is dece for being anime melodrama. The biggest con is the male gaze poo poo that someone else mentioned. From the get some dumbass looking fat tittied waifu is in your face dressed in a ripped up dress and bandages which is dumb and whack.

But side content dungeons called depths are a lot of fun and the relationship system where you give your comrades gifts and receive gifts from them is really good too.

Out of ten I give this 8/10. Really only marred by camera jank of the genre and anime.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Like, six or seven weapon categories. But not all single swords have the same attack animations. So, aside from different statistics like weight, dmg, etc, liking the animation of your attacks his huge.

Speaking of this, I just found a bayonet that is a shotgun instead of a rifle.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just reached Cathedral and the Flood depths and I am having a little trouble in big group fights. What character / upgrade level were you all for the biggest fights in those areas?

I’m currently lvl 20, +3, feels a bit squishy. Also my AI partner dies in big fights, do they just scale to your levels?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

pmchem posted:

I just reached Cathedral and the Flood depths and I am having a little trouble in big group fights. What character / upgrade level were you all for the biggest fights in those areas?

I’m currently lvl 20, +3, feels a bit squishy. Also my AI partner dies in big fights, do they just scale to your levels?

Halberds seem to be pretty good against groups.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caidin posted:

Okay I've found the Source at the cathedral or whatever and I think I've totally lost the thread on the this plot. Okay so is Karen the Queen then? I thought that was the Cruz lady? And regardless now we have to go do a Simon's quest and find a bunch of queen bits? Did the government build the Anor Lando set for Aurora to nap in?

A summary up to where you are so far:

The Queen is Cruz, who was sort of the experimental Patient Zero for the magical vampire parasites and had superpowers. She went crazy and started killing everyone and destroying everything, so they made a bunch of lovely knockoff vampires to fight her since they're immortal. You're part of Operation Queenslayer and kill her, but in the process you drink her blood and it "corrupts" you so your buddies try to kill you.

Once the Queen is dead, the government discovers that her body is indestructible and she's going to regenerate at this rate and put everything back to square one. The only solution they can come up with to stop this is to split her body up Simon's Quest style and seal the body parts into various revenants who have the aptitude required to contain the Queen's power to some degree. These are called successors. Aurora(the boss of Anor Londo) is one, and Karen(Louis's sister) is also one. After a successor inherits their part, they get sealed away in a Crypt both to stop other revenants from loving with them and to keep them contained because holding the Queen's parts inevitably drives you insane.

As for Anor Londo, without getting into significant spoilers, it's said later in the story that the successor can magically choose the form of their Crypt and that they should choose something that makes them comfortable and at ease, so I guess either Karen or Aurora decided the most comfortable place for them to be imprisoned forever was "floating maze cathedral".

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schubalts posted:

Speaking of this, I just found a bayonet that is a shotgun instead of a rifle.

All bayonets are shotguns if you hold power attack.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

All bayonets are shotguns if you hold power attack.

This isn't true. There's three different shot types, based on what Bayonet you have equipped:

-Short range type(example: Lost Bayonet): Fires a short ranged shot with a normal heavy attack, or a wide horizontal spread of 5 bullets with a charged heavy.
-Shotgun type(example: Riot Breaker): Fires a shotgun blast with a normal heavy attack, or a larger piercing shotgun blast with a charged heavy.
-Sniper type(example: Rubellite Piercer): Fires a fast long ranged shot with a normal heavy attack, or a slower-but-more-powerful long ranged attack with a charged heavy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao, that rules this game has so many different weapons and stuff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gotta say though that the maps in this game are pretty poo poo. They have no rhyme or reason and seems to be mostly just copy pasted corridors.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Gotta say though that the maps in this game are pretty poo poo. They have no rhyme or reason and seems to be mostly just copy pasted corridors.

The awesome icy mountain I'm exploring right now disagrees

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Regy Rusty posted:

The awesome icy mountain I'm exploring right now disagrees

That's the one place I could maybe agree with on, mostly I'm just sour about this goddamn second Anime Londo area

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I also like the dried up ocean bed and the foggy swamp

It's got cool areas

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Welp, think I hate this Annor Lando area.

I get it, it's probably cool, and I was preparing myself for it, but as I saw it my mind said "I do NOT want to do this a fourth time"

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

Turns out this level question was answered on gamefaqs, someone else had the same question
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/208832-code-vein/78050327

Rough guide is 10 levels gained per zone

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I’m playing wrong. I don’t play mang dark souls. Anyways I got to the first boss the stripper pole but in like level 22 and people are saying their like level 9 lol. What you guys spending souls on

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

I think I’m playing wrong. I don’t play mang dark souls. Anyways I got to the first boss the stripper pole but in like level 22 and people are saying their like level 9 lol. What you guys spending souls on

I cleared that boss at level 20. Spent a ton of souls on buying all possible gifts (skills) and upgrading various gear items.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I'm really liking the Queen's Ribcage blood code and the high-end spells you get from it; my Magic build really feels like it's taking off with these

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The game is ludicrously generous with haze/souls. I unlock every gift as a matter of course and level up in spurts and still regularly have tens to hundreds of thousands depending on the last time I got new codes/remembered to level up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No level 22 is fine. Leveling up is good, it's just that you should keep in mind that spending Haze on getting new gifts and upgrading gear is generally more useful. But if you've got the Haze to spare, get those levels, more health and damage is always good.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

That boss is an outlier in particular in that it's the only one that was made far easier with a build change for me - being at range provokes the charge attacks way too often and makes her unnecessarily difficult, so I just Big Sworded her

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I just got this far and I'm really not sure how you misinterpreted this. Karen is the source of Blood Beads, she isn't the Queen. The queen is Cruz who was split up into pieces.

It's mostly that I didn't get to see that bit uninterrupted even with the occasional cutscene pause and don't know if there's an option to go back and rewatch things anywhere. But I think i'm caught up now.

Regy Rusty posted:

I also like the dried up ocean bed and the foggy swamp

It's got cool areas

I think the games environments are a bit too monochrome and could probably do with a level in the woods or a building that wasn't a bunker or parking garage or something, just to get a break from the big grey chunks of concrete everywhere.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I keep trying to make ranged builds work but I'm just so bad at it since it's not how I usually play in Souls games at all. They're fun for exploration but every time I bring one to a boss I get completely stomped until I switch to melee. I most like both huge strong swords and fast small swords.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Merilan posted:

That boss is an outlier in particular in that it's the only one that was made far easier with a build change for me - being at range provokes the charge attacks way too often and makes her unnecessarily difficult, so I just Big Sworded her

That boss is easily the most difficult of the initial few areas. I do a lot of coop for funsies and that boss kills hosts more than pretty much any other.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Regy Rusty posted:

I keep trying to make ranged builds work but I'm just so bad at it since it's not how I usually play in Souls games at all. They're fun for exploration but every time I bring one to a boss I get completely stomped until I switch to melee. I most like both huge strong swords and fast small swords.

I haven't really been able to make guns work, even with Mia's special skill; magic gets way better later because you get some decent variety whereas you're stuck with Quick Fireball and Big Fireball for the first five areas or so

It also probably doesn't help magic that it's really hard to tell what things are weak to, except in really obvious cases like Ice enemies are weak to Fire

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Merilan posted:

I haven't really been able to make guns work, even with Mia's special skill; magic gets way better later because you get some decent variety whereas you're stuck with Quick Fireball and Big Fireball for the first five areas or so

It also probably doesn't help magic that it's really hard to tell what things are weak to, except in really obvious cases like Ice enemies are weak to Fire

Yeah currently I'm trying to fight the mountain boss with the Isis code and going full on magic

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah currently I'm trying to fight the mountain boss with the Isis code and going full on magic

Ichorous Ice is easily my favorite spell from that one, it's insanely good unless the enemy is mega resistant

The big beam is also really fun to use but pricey

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Merilan posted:

Ichorous Ice is easily my favorite spell from that one, it's insanely good unless the enemy is mega resistant

The big beam is also really fun to use but pricey

I think you're thinking of a different one, Isis gives the lightning spells (though I'm using Fire mostly since this boss seems to take more damage from them)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the Harmonia blood code made me love magic, it trivializes exploration (not as great against bosses but still good)

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Regy Rusty posted:

I think you're thinking of a different one, Isis gives the lightning spells (though I'm using Fire mostly since this boss seems to take more damage from them)

Oh ugh, was that not Isis? Did I actually miss the Isis blood code then?? Cause I remember getting like B C and D in Not Anor Londo but I never found the code itself

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Merilan posted:

Oh ugh, was that not Isis? Did I actually miss the Isis blood code then?? Cause I remember getting like B C and D in Not Anor Londo but I never found the code itself

You get the code from resurrecting Aurora which requires you to complete all her vestiges first with Leda. All the successor blood codes work like this I imagine.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caidin posted:

It's mostly that I didn't get to see that bit uninterrupted even with the occasional cutscene pause and don't know if there's an option to go back and rewatch things anywhere. But I think i'm caught up now.

You can review cutscenes in the hot spring where you can get half of your Haze back.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I started the game using big chonky 2H melee and switched to bayonets in the first area because I wanted to see how they played. I struggled hugely with them compared to 2H melee but stubbornly stuck to them and have played them through most of the game as I got more used to it.

IMO, this game kind of flips the normal Souls paradigm of "ranged/magic easy, melee hard" on its head; playing a big chonky low-ichor melee build is way easier than a shooty or nerd build because you do huge damage with normal swings and have huge stagger on all your attacks so you can often stunlock normal enemies to death and stagger bosses quickly. Meanwhile, magic/ranged has solid damage but the limitations of the ichor system mean that you need to close in for backstabs/parries/drains or normal melee, except your normal melee is much weaker and staggers less so it's riskier to use, and most of the good magic armors have lovely damage values so your backstabs are trash.

Bayonet isn't terrible. With the ranged buff and a good bayonet code(Artemis or Hunter) you can pump out some extremely serious DPS by chaining heavy shots, especially with the Riot Breaker or Mia's bayonet. The problem that you run into is that bayonet melee is extremely mediocre due to being awkward/having zero stagger and also pretty bad at generating ichor(typically 2-3 hits for an ichor pip on most weapons), so you either need to run an alt weapon to generate ichor, run a drain-enhanced bayonet to fuel yourself, or just get used to using the crap melee(which is what I did).

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Regy Rusty posted:

You get the code from resurrecting Aurora which requires you to complete all her vestiges first with Leda. All the successor blood codes work like this I imagine.

Hmmm I finished Anor Londo, fought Aurora and got the Queen's Ribcage one which I thought was hers? That one had a host of the high-end magic spells I was using. I'm currently past the ice area afterwards

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

To explain the confusion(plot spoilers i guess?):

There's two potential codes from each successor. If you find and visit all of the successor's memories(all of the Isis vestiges from Anor Londo, for example) BEFORE you fight the boss in question, you can save the successor after they turn to stone and you receive their "human" code - in that case, the Isis code from Aurora. If you don't collect all of the vestiges for the boss and visit them before you fight the boss, they stay dead and you receive their Queen code - in this case, the Queen's Ribcage. The codes are mutually exclusive in one playthrough, so you can't get both Isis and Queen's Ribcage without NG+.

Whether or not you save each successor apparently determines which ending you get, as well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kanos posted:

There's two potential codes from each successor. If you find and visit all of the successor's memories(all of the Isis vestiges from Anor Londo, for example) BEFORE you fight the boss in question, you can save the successor after they turn to stone and you receive their "human" code - in that case, the Isis code from Aurora. If you don't collect all of the vestiges for the boss and visit them before you fight the boss, they stay dead and you receive their Queen code - in this case, the Queen's Ribcage. The codes are mutually exclusive in one playthrough, so you can't get both Isis and Queen's Ribcage without NG+.

Whether or not you save each successor apparently determines which ending you get, as well.

Lol thank you that clears it up. I was gonna make sure to do that anyway but good to know what it affects.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Kanos posted:

oh what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I really hate the butterfly. Still working out the tells for some of her attacks, it all seems so random.