Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I don't think any sport has video review/decision making process actually worked out yet, but in 20 years when we have, it sure isn't going go look anything like this..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo George Gregan hasn't aged a day

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

FYI with the squidge vs World Rugby situation, note that he has now started uploading videos to vimeo instead: https://vimeo.com/user103332235

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/WelshDalaiLama/status/1178273208161783808?s=19

It feeds me

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I’m an England fan but I sort of wish Francis had eaten a ban

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bit late but this is so :3: from Alun-Wyn Jones's kids.

https://twitter.com/DoveMenUK/status/1177598774962790402

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Very good stuff from today

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Noice.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Was the Hooper tackle on Biggar ever replayed? I was in the car and it sounded like ‘we haven’t been coached on new frameworks honest’ was going to get another airing to a citing commissioner?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

Was the Hooper tackle on Biggar ever replayed? I was in the car and it sounded like ‘we haven’t been coached on new frameworks honest’ was going to get another airing to a citing commissioner?

Yes, ref didn't see anything in it beyond a pen and I tend to agree (easy to say that after Wales have won mind).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Firstly, when Japan won I was genuinely sort of walking around all day, and every now and again I'd just say "I still can't get over the fact Japan beat Ireland" to anyone who would listen to me.

As in England in general football (soccer) is more popular, I was trying to think of a good analogy.

It's not like beating Brazil, that would be like beating the all blacks. It's more like beating a team that is the best in the world on paper, but isn't really the best in the world. So I thought OK, maybe it's like beating England's football team with some sort of fledgling team, but I don't know enough about football to pick one that is equivalent to Japan.

bessantj posted:

Some of my favourite Reddit posts on this was basically people chatting poo poo about this being in touch. One guy was saying "If you had done the courses needed to be a referee you'd know it's in touch as soon as it crosses the line" and replied somewhere else to some other rule query telling someone never to try and become a ref. Naturally when someone copied and pasted the rules saying if a ball is knocked back into touch by a player who jumps from in touch before they land out of touch, the ball remains in play, he remained silent.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

bessantj posted:

Beautiful

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Kitchner posted:

It's not like beating Brazil, that would be like beating the all blacks. It's more like beating a team that is the best in the world on paper, but isn't really the best in the world. So I thought OK, maybe it's like beating England's football team with some sort of fledgling team, but I don't know enough about football to pick one that is equivalent to Japan.

It's like Saudi Arabia tipping over Belgium or the Netherlands in football. The Flemish lads are generally agreed as a pair of decent teams, with plenty of quality players (some of whom would be right up there amongst the best at the international level) and would have a decent chance at themselves beating just about anyone on their day, but both have generally underachieved at the showcase event in their sport. The Netherlands are historically one of the best teams to never have won the World Cup, despite the odd finals appearance, and the Irish rugby team, 2007 onwards, have generally underachieved at the Rugby World Cup having never advancing beyond the quarterfinals - although they had a pretty good excuse of "1/3 of our starting XV including the captain were unavailable, 4 to injury and 1 to idiocy, going into the quarters," in 2015.

Much like the Saudi football team, the Japanese team is in a weird place where they're not considered a particularly strong team (although they've been in or close to a top 10 spot in the World Rugby rankings for a while, and them outranking Italy, for example, is not unusual any more) but they've also got a professional domestic league of a sufficient quality.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Kitchner posted:

As in England in general football (soccer) is more popular, I was trying to think of a good analogy.

Strangely, Japan would probably work well enough in that analogy anyway.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Or when Wales beat Belgium at Euro 2016?

God the Williams knockback to avoid the lineout was gold.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Before hosting the soccer world cup in 2002, Japan had only qualified for it once('98). They went on to finish 9th in 2002 and have been in every WC since.

I always figured they would go really well here, and after beating South Africa last world almost anything is possible.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Just finished the replay of the Wales-Aus game. Lot of penalties that just seemed non-starters for me. That forearm was dumb and totally should have been played on. I’m glad Wales won by more than three because it would’ve been real ill-gotten gains to win by a PK off of a stupid penalty.

I’m not really pulling for either team, but that mustache can eat a dick. He’s a cocky prick, isn’t he?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it's like japan beating belgium

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Football analogies are hard because that game (due to generally low scoring and the relative importance of goalkeepers) is more prone to upsets. Stuff in the area of 'semipros beat one of the top teams because their goalkeeper had the game of their life' can happen

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kitchner posted:

Some of my favourite Reddit posts on this was basically people chatting poo poo about this being in touch. One guy was saying "If you had done the courses needed to be a referee you'd know it's in touch as soon as it crosses the line" and replied somewhere else to some other rule query telling someone never to try and become a ref. Naturally when someone copied and pasted the rules saying if a ball is knocked back into touch by a player who jumps from in touch before they land out of touch, the ball remains in play, he remained silent.

I love it when people do that.

Japan beating Ireland is like Greece winning the Euros, you're shocked that it happened but also delighted for the effort they put in.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Very sexy rugby

https://twitter.com/top14rugby/status/1178056096067530752

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

C'mon the mighty Samoans!!

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I wonder if they've worked on their tackling since the Russia game.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good start from Scotland.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japanese coverage just popped up the fun stat that it's 29 degrees and 63% humidity at the ground right now. I'm wondering if the Scottish players think they're playing in a sauna.

also there's another typhoon set to roll through this weekend, the reporting so far is suggesting the France-USA game in Fukuoka is most likely to be impacted.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

Japanese coverage just popped up the fun stat that it's 29 degrees and 63% humidity at the ground right now. I'm wondering if the Scottish players think they're playing in a sauna.

also there's another typhoon set to roll through this weekend, the reporting so far is suggesting the France-USA game in Fukuoka is most likely to be impacted.

Yeah it looks really slippy and slidy out there. Difficult conditions.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Yeah it looks really slippy and slidy out there. Difficult conditions.

so much for Scotland practicing with soaped-up pills to help get used to this. I think it's just sweaty as all hell out there.

[edit] that's a well-deserved try for Maitland, he's been pretty outstanding so far.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 30, 2019

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Samoa are real bad.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Laidlaw did not expect to score that there.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Boo. Be good Samoa.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Should get extra points for a drop goal that good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hogg has an absolute cannon in his leg.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Hogg has an absolute cannon in his leg.

Foot like a traction engine

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think Jamie Ritchie has had a great game so far.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

Foot like a traction engine

That's a good Aussie Rules goal to be honest

Samoa with one in the sin bin as a result of giving up a penalty try, this is going to lead to Scotland getting the bonus point isn't it

[edit] first streaker of the World Cup?

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 30, 2019

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Impressed that Scotland have not Scotlanded this

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Impressed that Scotland have not Scotlanded this

The Ref is trying to give Samoa a boost so there's time yet.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Should of been a straight red

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Not a good look, might get reviewed later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Could have got good odds on penalty try being Scotland's top scorer .