Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Welp, with their new plan discounts I’ve joined the ranks of “old rates, never going to leave”. Their unlimited rates with a $40 military discount can’t be beat unless another provider somehow creates a better network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

charity rereg posted:

They texted me a coupon directly that appears to be account specific. We're on extremely old devices, and very long term customers on this account, not sure if either matters.

This is account specific, and honestly I have no idea how they calculate it. I’ve seen long term customers not have it and customers here for 2 years have it.

DoorMatt posted:

So I'm thinking about jumping ship from att to Verizon within the next month or so. Mostly because I've been having issues with coverage when at home which isn't a huge deal with WiFi but not working in a place I spend most of my time is kind of dumb.

I always see a bunch of ads regarding deals on phones and what not for changing carriers, is there anything I need to know about making this as smooth as possible?

I've had att for like 15 years so I'm kind of in the dark on how all this works.

Feel free to PM me and I’ll go over promos and such for you.

Endless Mike posted:

Yo Duckman, I am getting an iPhone 11 Pro and want to activate my service on the eSIM, but this Reddit comment says you can't use device insurance if you do? Is that correct?

poo poo, last I checked that is correct. It’s a system issue, the system doesn’t recognize it as eligible for whatever reason. I just activated an eSIM so i think it is still a thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's dumb as gently caress, but I guess I'll hold off. I don't *need* the eSIM, it just sounds fun.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

That's dumb as gently caress, but I guess I'll hold off. I don't *need* the eSIM, it just sounds fun.

It is extremely dumb. You won’t notice a service difference either way, I used my phone as a SIM, switched last year to eSIM, no service difference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I just wanted to be in the future and also be able to dual-wield foreign SIMs like liquid metal extensions of my arms. I guess I'll worry about it next time I travel.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I just wanted to be in the future and also be able to dual-wield foreign SIMs like liquid metal extensions of my arms. I guess I'll worry about it next time I travel.

No doubt man. I use eSIM even though there isn’t really a reason to. I did try dual SIM for a month to try it out (not really a need for it domestically), but it was cool to have, and I now feel I am prepared to travel internationally even though I haven’t traveled out of the country in over 10 years (but I renewed my passport)!

I would consider dual SIM in the US just to guarantee coverage, but I can never quite justify to myself the $20-30 a month that most plans tend to be at, and I don’t feel like having the occasional random customer bug me about why I have multiple services. Although that’s less of concern now that iPhone doesn’t display the carrier in big letters on the top of every screen.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Can existing customers self-service activate an eSIM yet, or must one still call in and get a rep who hasn't been trained on how to do it?

Last time I tried it I had three different reps give me three different answers:

1. What's an eSIM? No, we can't do that for you
  2. Sure, it'll take 24-48 hours before you can activate on the phone, here's your QR code (nothing worked 48 hours later)
  3. You'll have to talk to telesales to open a new line for your eSIM, let me transfer you

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Can existing customers self-service activate an eSIM yet, or must one still call in and get a rep who hasn't been trained on how to do it?

Last time I tried it I had three different reps give me three different answers:

1. What's an eSIM? No, we can't do that for you
  2. Sure, it'll take 24-48 hours before you can activate on the phone, here's your QR code (nothing worked 48 hours later)
  3. You'll have to talk to telesales to open a new line for your eSIM, let me transfer you

Probably call in or stop by a store. Its just so rare they anyone in the US asks for an eSIM, they’re trained at this point to assume they need a SIM card, so most reps never have to deal with it so they never know what to do.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

This is account specific, and honestly I have no idea how they calculate it. I’ve seen long term customers not have it and customers here for 2 years have it.

My "i am making this up, actually" hunch is that it's because we had 2 old iPhones on the account. We were exactly Apple's nemesis last year, we put new batteries in our 6 and 6S when they were $20 and refused to upgrade. I still wouldn't have if we didn't pay $250 for the phones - I'm only moderately mixed about the glass back & 3.5mm jack.

It could be something weird on the back end, like i've looked at phones and plans multiple times, maybe they knew I was just a subtle push away from actually doing it? I'm not really sure where Verizon made any money on the deal though, as our plan may go _down_, there's no interest on the phones, and they had to take a loss selling two iphone 8s for $500 total, right? I've worked retail and there's not $200 of margin in a $450 iphone 8, even in bulk.

edit: Also all 3 of ours were BYOD SIM swaps, maybe they just wanted to get us back as phone customers and were willing to take a hit on this one.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 17, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

charity rereg posted:

My "i am making this up, actually" hunch is that it's because we had 2 old iPhones on the account. We were exactly Apple's nemesis last year, we put new batteries in our 6 and 6S when they were $20 and refused to upgrade. I still wouldn't have if we didn't pay $250 for the phones - I'm only moderately mixed about the glass back & 3.5mm jack.

It could be something weird on the back end, like i've looked at phones and plans multiple times, maybe they knew I was just a subtle push away from actually doing it? I'm not really sure where Verizon made any money on the deal though, as our plan may go _down_, there's no interest on the phones, and they had to take a loss selling two iphone 8s for $500 total, right? I've worked retail and there's not $200 of margin in a $450 iphone 8, even in bulk.

edit: Also all 3 of ours were BYOD SIM swaps, maybe they just wanted to get us back as phone customers and were willing to take a hit on this one.

This is outside of my scope, but I’m sure Verizon runs algorithms to determine who is likely to switch, what account promos to offer, etc. in the promotions sheet it says as much.

Verizon makes all their money on service. There is def s break even point, and there are customers who demand discounts to the point that it isn’t worth the cost to offer said discount. That said, most people are somewhere in between, so the motive on Verizon is ensuring they don’t lose a customer (monthly service goes from $xxx to $0) while not giving away the farm.

Also, Verizon has moved away from requiring payment plans for customer service reasons, but here’s a link detailing what they did with phone payment plans.

https://fortune.com/2016/06/29/iphone-backed-bonds/

And obviously I’m biased, but i honestly can’t blame them, it’s way more secure in theory than say, bundling mortgage bonds like what happened leading up to 2008.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

charity rereg posted:

My "i am making this up, actually" hunch is that it's because we had 2 old iPhones on the account. We were exactly Apple's nemesis last year, we put new batteries in our 6 and 6S when they were $20 and refused to upgrade.

I have a 6, 2 6s’s and 3 7s on my plan and havent got anything. Sucks for me - good for you!

Maybe I got hosed cuz I ordered an 11 on launch day and should have held out. Most likely its some dumb algorithim that noone understands though.

I think I switched to Verizon when the 5’s came out so Ive had the plan for awhile. Not planning on upgrading my 6s since it keeps trucking on but id be tempted if I got $200 off.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

I have a 6, 2 6s’s and 3 7s on my plan and havent got anything. Sucks for me - good for you!

Maybe I got hosed cuz I ordered an 11 on launch day and should have held out. Most likely its some dumb algorithim that noone understands though.

I think I switched to Verizon when the 5’s came out so Ive had the plan for awhile. Not planning on upgrading my 6s since it keeps trucking on but id be tempted if I got $200 off.

$200 off doesn’t apply to the launch phones FYI.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Can I do the $500 off iPhone 11 per new line? And is it unlimited only ?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I may have just missed it, but when does the $200 trade in for an iPhone 7 towards an 11 expire? I keep waffling on buying one and if so if I want the 11 or 11 Pro, so I’d like to figure how how long I have to decide.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Falco posted:

I may have just missed it, but when does the $200 trade in for an iPhone 7 towards an 11 expire? I keep waffling on buying one and if so if I want the 11 or 11 Pro, so I’d like to figure how how long I have to decide.

Last I checked end of the month.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
About to be on my 6th month of prepaid
14 gig promo that's 50 all in, no issues at all thus far. I usually average about 7-6 gigs a month, tether sometimes to a laptop and don't watch any large amount of video on my phone. I don't know what 5g would do that I already don't do at 60-70 down average on lte so I think I'd skip 5g devices and a new plan for the foreseeable future.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Hiyo,

I'm super confused and trying to figure out a new phone plan. I've been on my family's plan for ages and now would like to assume my line and start a new family plan with my own family (just 2 lines, me and spouse). The problem is I'm grandfathered into a pretty good plan.

The plan I'm on now is 8 GB L plan but with 5 GB of bonus data and I pay something like $35 a month for my share.

I was looking online at getting us on the Play More Unlimited plan that would be $70x2 plus taxes and fees ($150 a month). So that right there is double what I'm currently spending.

Then I looked at the prepaid plans (I'm not even sure I understand what these are) and if I'm reading this right I get basically the same thing, 16GB per line, 1st line is $45 and second line is $30 for a total of $75 a month. That seems like what I'm paying now and half what the Play More Unlimited plan is. wtf?

What am I missing here? It seems like a no brainer to do the prepaid plan. Appreciate any help/guidance.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m not an employee, but right off the bat the postpaid one gives you:

More unthrottled data
Hotspot capability and 15GB of unthrottled hotspot data
An Apple Music subscription
No charge calls, texts, and data to and from Mexico and Canada vs, just calls to those two countries.

It probably seems more lopsided than usual because it looks like the prepaid is running a double data deal, and usually it’s only 8GB for that price.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

particle9 posted:

Hiyo,

I'm super confused and trying to figure out a new phone plan. I've been on my family's plan for ages and now would like to assume my line and start a new family plan with my own family (just 2 lines, me and spouse). The problem is I'm grandfathered into a pretty good plan.

The plan I'm on now is 8 GB L plan but with 5 GB of bonus data and I pay something like $35 a month for my share.

I was looking online at getting us on the Play More Unlimited plan that would be $70x2 plus taxes and fees ($150 a month). So that right there is double what I'm currently spending.

Then I looked at the prepaid plans (I'm not even sure I understand what these are) and if I'm reading this right I get basically the same thing, 16GB per line, 1st line is $45 and second line is $30 for a total of $75 a month. That seems like what I'm paying now and half what the Play More Unlimited plan is. wtf?

What am I missing here? It seems like a no brainer to do the prepaid plan. Appreciate any help/guidance.

The above poster is right, although prepaid may? Have calling to Canada and Mexico. Would have to check.

That said, prepaid is a good option, here are the downsides compared to your current postpaid plan:
-prepaid is a lower priority than postpaid, so data speeds can be slower
-if you forget to pay the bill by a day your phone is turned off
-much lower customer support. If you call in; you are getting India, not US customer support
-pretty much 0 promos, and you are buying phones outright, no payment plan for you.

Honestly, for someone posting on SA, my question is do you buy a new phone often, and does the best data speeds matter? If the answer to both is “no,” then prepaid is fine.

The advantage to prepaid is cheaper price. So if you aren’t buying phones on a promo and are ok with not as good customer service, go to prepaid. It’s normally not as egregious , but the double data does make it a great deal.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Ok, thanks for the info. It says it includes Mex/CA. We buy our phones from Apple so we don't any promos. The data speed is so nebulous it's hard to even parse what that means. It definitely seems like the prepaid is the better deal by a lot. Maybe I should try that and see how it goes, can always switch later. Thanks again!

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I currently have 2 phones on the new Verizon unlimited plan from a while back. I need to add two more lines to my account , is switching all lines over to play more unlimited the best way to go?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fcdts26 posted:

I currently have 2 phones on the new Verizon unlimited plan from a while back. I need to add two more lines to my account , is switching all lines over to play more unlimited the best way to go?

Probably? I would need to know your current plan. Almost Any promos require unlimited right now.

Feel free to post or PM. Also, if you would like a referral code, please feel free to PM me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

particle9 posted:

Ok, thanks for the info. It says it includes Mex/CA. We buy our phones from Apple so we don't any promos. The data speed is so nebulous it's hard to even parse what that means. It definitely seems like the prepaid is the better deal by a lot. Maybe I should try that and see how it goes, can always switch later. Thanks again!

Forgot to mention: you can still buy your phones Apple, but it has to be outright. Apple only does payment plans for postpaid customer (yes it’s a dumb rule).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I keep having these issues where I have 2 bars of LTE but if I try to do anything, then it comes up saying that I do not have an internet connection. It happens usually once a day where it takes a few minutes to “correct itself” (nothing changes, it just starts working again) or I have to restart my IPhone X.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I keep having these issues where I have 2 bars of LTE but if I try to do anything, then it comes up saying that I do not have an internet connection. It happens usually once a day where it takes a few minutes to “correct itself” (nothing changes, it just starts working again) or I have to restart my IPhone X.

No idea. First step is to stop by a store and swap the SIM card.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Thanks!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I tried to have a chat rep move my line over to an eSIM two weeks ago, on an iPhone 11. They had a hell of a time doing it. They said their workflow required them to send a verification message to the line in question, but the system was not allowing it for whatever reason. They got a supervisor to override it, the eSIM "activated," and then I had no working data or phone service with the eSIM.

I went through the self-service activation flow to put service back on the physical SIM and thought this misadventure was behind us.

I noticed now that my line now says it's under a 2-year contract ending 9/21/2021, 2 years from the date we were screwing around with this. This is an unlocked SIM-free model bought from Apple so it's certainly not a contract phone and I don't even know how you'd start a new 2 year contract with one of the current unlimited plans.

I want to get this straightened out somehow. Is this the fault of their "override" and can a store rep fix it? Or is this one of those situations that I'll go to a store, and they'll just hand me the phone while telling me to talk to a service person?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

So I tried to have a chat rep move my line over to an eSIM two weeks ago, on an iPhone 11. They had a hell of a time doing it. They said their workflow required them to send a verification message to the line in question, but the system was not allowing it for whatever reason. They got a supervisor to override it, the eSIM "activated," and then I had no working data or phone service with the eSIM.

I went through the self-service activation flow to put service back on the physical SIM and thought this misadventure was behind us.

I noticed now that my line now says it's under a 2-year contract ending 9/21/2021, 2 years from the date we were screwing around with this. This is an unlocked SIM-free model bought from Apple so it's certainly not a contract phone and I don't even know how you'd start a new 2 year contract with one of the current unlimited plans.

I want to get this straightened out somehow. Is this the fault of their "override" and can a store rep fix it? Or is this one of those situations that I'll go to a store, and they'll just hand me the phone while telling me to talk to a service person?

The store can change you to eSIM if you still need help with that. They can’t help with the contract.

Call loyalty at 800-392-0717 , I think someone just clicked a button so honestly I think it’s an easier fix.

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
I am looking to take advantage of the $450 trade in deal for the new Pixel. I have two questions?

The phone screen needs to be not cracked or broken. Do they care about scratches?

The device needs to be unlocked. I talked to sprint and have unlock codes, but is there any way to make sure that the device will be accepted?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I don't want to get denied the $450 on a technicality.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DEUSFORORUM posted:

I am looking to take advantage of the $450 trade in deal for the new Pixel. I have two questions?

The phone screen needs to be not cracked or broken. Do they care about scratches?

The device needs to be unlocked. I talked to sprint and have unlock codes, but is there any way to make sure that the device will be accepted?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I don't want to get denied the $450 on a technicality.

Scratches don’t matter. They don’t care about the phone being unlocked, the mean not having a screen unlock.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
On that $450 trade-in deal: What condition does the trade-in phone have to be? I have an iPhone 7 that turns on but won't finish booting, it just goes to the "plug it in to your computer you dumbshit" screen and stays there. Will that work? The battery and screen are fine, it apparently just decided to wipe itself one morning.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I got two Pixel 3s during last year's Black Friday deal. Mother dearest recently managed to bork the charging port on hers. I'm considering grabbing a P4 directly from Google for myself, letting her take my P3, and just continuing to pay the $17/mo or whatever VZW is tacking onto our bills. Because both of our P3s are on device payment plans, will we run into any issues?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Might not be the right place to ask, but are you *required* to make use of the facial unlock feature on the Pixel 4, or can you just lock it with a pattern or code instead?

I'm not terribly happy about using my fingerprint, but it's not like they're not on file because of my work. I'm also not trusting of the reader over time, the one on my OG PXL is getting persnickety.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Looking for guidance here. I have a prepaid Verizon iPhone SE I bought from Best Buy a while back just for iOS app development. I never activated/paid for service. My partner's iPhone SE (AT&T Prepaid) has stopped working. I am looking to let her use this phone as her replacement.

It seems like I need to have the phone unlocked before she can do so. I know I need to activate 1 month of prepaid service (seems to be $30) + pay a fee to get it unlocked. I called up and the rep kindly let me know the fee tends to be between $75-150, but she couldn't let me know exactly how much until the phone was activated for one month of prepaid service. I mentioned I've had my own Verizon wireless service for about 20 years and she let me know she'd be able to cut that fee down for me.

Of course halfway through the setup we became disconnected, and now the robot auto responder on the phone call won't direct me to a real person.

Does this still seem like the best course of action? Pay for 1 month, see if I can find another rep who will honor reducing that fee, and then the phone will be unlocked and she can pop her AT&T prepaid SIM card in?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bbcisdabomb posted:

On that $450 trade-in deal: What condition does the trade-in phone have to be? I have an iPhone 7 that turns on but won't finish booting, it just goes to the "plug it in to your computer you dumbshit" screen and stays there. Will that work? The battery and screen are fine, it apparently just decided to wipe itself one morning.

Phone has to essentially be not broken, and operate, so no dice here unfortunately.

XIII posted:

So, I got two Pixel 3s during last year's Black Friday deal. Mother dearest recently managed to bork the charging port on hers. I'm considering grabbing a P4 directly from Google for myself, letting her take my P3, and just continuing to pay the $17/mo or whatever VZW is tacking onto our bills. Because both of our P3s are on device payment plans, will we run into any issues?

No you’re fine.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Might not be the right place to ask, but are you *required* to make use of the facial unlock feature on the Pixel 4, or can you just lock it with a pattern or code instead?

I'm not terribly happy about using my fingerprint, but it's not like they're not on file because of my work. I'm also not trusting of the reader over time, the one on my OG PXL is getting persnickety.

You should be able to just use a code/pattern, the phones have never required bio metrics in the past.

hedgecore posted:

Looking for guidance here. I have a prepaid Verizon iPhone SE I bought from Best Buy a while back just for iOS app development. I never activated/paid for service. My partner's iPhone SE (AT&T Prepaid) has stopped working. I am looking to let her use this phone as her replacement.

It seems like I need to have the phone unlocked before she can do so. I know I need to activate 1 month of prepaid service (seems to be $30) + pay a fee to get it unlocked. I called up and the rep kindly let me know the fee tends to be between $75-150, but she couldn't let me know exactly how much until the phone was activated for one month of prepaid service. I mentioned I've had my own Verizon wireless service for about 20 years and she let me know she'd be able to cut that fee down for me.

Of course halfway through the setup we became disconnected, and now the robot auto responder on the phone call won't direct me to a real person.

Does this still seem like the best course of action? Pay for 1 month, see if I can find another rep who will honor reducing that fee, and then the phone will be unlocked and she can pop her AT&T prepaid SIM card in?

Yeah, go into a store for this one. When you call care, you are getting postpaid customer care. They don’t get paid to help prepaid and won’t know or care about it.

It should just be buying one months service of prepaid for that iPhone, lowest plan is indeed $30.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

No you’re fine.

Sweet, that's what I thought, but VZW

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Might switch to my friend's plan but he was told by his local Verizon store that:

-If you're added to an existing account / plan, you do not count as a new customer.
-A new line is a new line, not adding to an existing line.
-If you transfer your number over, it's not a new line either. You must have a number given by Verizon to qualify it as a new line and number transfers don't count.

Is this true?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Might switch to my friend's plan but he was told by his local Verizon store that:

-If you're added to an existing account / plan, you do not count as a new customer.
-A new line is a new line, not adding to an existing line.
-If you transfer your number over, it's not a new line either. You must have a number given by Verizon to qualify it as a new line and number transfers don't count.

Is this true?

Overall yes. New line means “new to Verizon.” So transferring your phone number from Verizon account to another Verizon account is not new to Verizon, it’s just a transfer.

So if you want a new line promo, you have to get a new number, or port a number from a different carrier (depending on what promo you are trying to get).

What promo are you trying to get?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Overall yes. New line means “new to Verizon.” So transferring your phone number from Verizon account to another Verizon account is not new to Verizon, it’s just a transfer.

So if you want a new line promo, you have to get a new number, or port a number from a different carrier (depending on what promo you are trying to get).

What promo are you trying to get?

I'm currently on Google Fi and wanting a Pixel 4 / XL so shopping around for the best promotion. I'd be moving my number over from Fi as I've never had Verizon before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm currently on Google Fi and wanting a Pixel 4 / XL so shopping around for the best promotion. I'd be moving my number over from Fi as I've never had Verizon before.

Oh, then you’re a new customer.

Either BOGO if you’re both getting a phone, or trade In up to $500 depending on what your phone is. You can get a $200 gift card as well.