Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Higher quality version of trailer here, reveals a little more gameplay-wise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJki_1XHbX0

Next trailer coming September 27~29 during CEOTaku

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't really like how zoomed in the camera was getting. (not much else to comment on)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 13, 2019

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Bandit Revolver seems to travel more aggressive forward angle

new 2H? and 5h? have kind of a fire effect on hit. rev2 6h is back

new 6H or some new special. fullscreen KD on air hit

ky backdashes into new fS or 5h into dipper

dust into stage transition is a thing

looks like jH. Ky does what looks like 2H jc jS jH VT, probably a bnb

this move (cS?) bounced Ky onto the ground and THEN against the wall

wild throw does a hard KD. possible zoom effect during throws

ky does what looks like js 2d fireball (with WALLSTICK) run up VT (which does a stage transition?)

dhamster fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 13, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

I'm really feeling like this is gonna be a reboot.

-The title is just "Guilty Gear", could be a working title but Arcsys titles are usually final when they get to this stage of dev

-Ky looks MAD YOUNG, even besides the haircut and outfit he looks younger than his XRD self.

-New rekka for Sol? Plus Ky seems to be doing Greed Sever with his legs now
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1172492370274934786

nope.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder how long they'll keep support up before starting over on the next game with a roster reset.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It'll be like SF3, they'll try to reset the roster but then when everyone complains they'll be forced to bring Zappa back

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
They can't actually bring in any new characters to guilty gear because there aren't any band names left

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They can't actually bring in any new characters to guilty gear because there aren't any band names left

Nonsense, there are plenty as long as Daisuke switches to other genres. Especially grindcore or noise. A.C. WHEN?
Seriously though, I'm surprised there isn't a Sabbat or Sarcofago yet, maybe they'll pop up this game.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 14, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its time for a rap themed gg

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Detailed Summary of New Famitsu Interview posted:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201909/13183310.html

Here's some more in-depth bits of translation:

They are approaching development as if this is a completely new Arc System Works fighting game, rather than as a new Guilty Gear title.

They haven't decided if it'll be a numbered entry, but it's not part of the Xrd series. Xrd is over. That being said, the story will continue from Rev 2.

Unlike with Xrd, this new game will have major changes to the core Guilty Gear gameplay systems.

Because they're reworking all the characters from the ground up, the workload is the same as a new game. Due to this, Ishiwatari doesn't think the entire cast will be ready in time for launch.

Since they aren't bringing forward anything from Xrd and are creating everything from scratch, Katano wants players to manage expectations for the roster, but says they're doing what they can to try and live up to expectations.

The new dreadlocked character is connected to the history of the Guilty Gear series, but Ishiwatari can't reveal anything else at this point.

There has always been a barrier to entry for new players just as a result of the games being sequels, since the games are difficult as a matter of course. They are designing this as a new game to avoid having that baggage.

They started developing this title by stripping out all the complex and overabundant systems of the typical Guilty Gear game, and rethinking them from scratch. The design philosophy isn't to simplify the mechanics for beginners, but rather to make the game more widely accessible for different types of players.

According to Ishiwatari, they are thinking of it more in terms of cleaning up the game. Giving new players a more simple entry point without eliminating the depth of the game. They want it to be as deep as any of their other games.

Katano says he wants get rid of the impression that the game looks hard. Taking autocombos for example, he says you can put that in a game, and that's fine. But even if they can do combos, people who don't play fighting games still won't really know what's going on.

Katano says, ideally, they want to make this a game where people will know what's going on even if they don't normally play fighting games. Ishiwatari says that's their keyword.

Not everything is decided, but they want to have a broader reach than the usual Arc System Works game. They are making a "new Guilty Gear" to see if it's possible to overcome the problems they've had with not being able to make changes in the series because "it's Guilty Gear."

Even though GG has always had a strong core of players in Japan who have been with it from the start, Katano thinks that if they want to sell this as a completely new game, the gameplay systems should have a low floor so a wide variety of players can get into it.

Ishiwatari had previously thought of making new GG games in terms of "powering up" from the previous entry, but this time he's rebuilding from scratch with the idea of only bringing forward the best parts.

Katano says that they used to focus on Japanese players, but this time they want to reach a worldwide audience with both gameplay systems and promotion. He doesn't want this to be a game only for people who already play Guilty Gear or for people who grew up in arcades.

They want players to be able to play equally well on stick or pad. They want the competetive difficulty to come from deep gameplay rather than combos that are hard to execute.

May isn't much older, her design is just different. The story is set not too long after Rev 2.

Ishiwatari is doing all the music again, with vocals by Hashimoto, like in Xrd. Just like with the new character designs, expect new character themes.

The dramatic stage transitions are part of the game. Their main design philosophy is to make sure the gameplay stays balanced no matter what they do.

The demo at ArcRevo won't be full spec, but will give an overview of how the game works. Playable characters will be announced later.

It's not a PS4 exclusive.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im impressed at them taking such a big risk with the franchise so i'll just sit here hyped and not think about how many red flags are in that description

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Yeah before I even saw the translated interview I figured as much lol. They wouldn't make May look older if it was gonna be a reboot. I guess Ky's new look is just him finally experiencing the twink-enhancing abilities of the gear cells

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
They've gone on record saying May isn't really older either, it's taking place not too long after Rev2. People are just getting confused by the different style and clothes.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Daisuke TGS interview from 4gamer:

quote:

4Gamer has uploaded a more detailed rundown of the interview posted by Famitsu, which must have actually been more of a conference. It seems the Famitsu article has a lot of paraphrasing, and the 4Gamer version has more details and context for a lot of statements

Source: https://www.4gamer.net/games/472/G047266/20190914011/

They can't reveal the final title yet or whether it'll be a numbered entry, but they can confirm that it's not part of the Xrd series and that Rev 2 is the final entry of the Xrd series. They are trying to emphasize that they're approaching this as if it's a completely new Arc System Works fighting game, rather than as a new game in the Guilty Gear series. However, the story will be continuing from where Rev 2 left off.

They put the new dreadlocked swordsman in the teaser because they wanted to show everyone a visual that has never been seen before, which is a big part of the appeal of a new game. Ishiwatari can't go into his backstory and things yet because that would be a spoiler. When asked about the inspiration behind the character, Ishiwatari says that it's partially the result of wanting to do something different from the characters in the current roster.

A lot of people were saying that May grew up on Twitter, but Ishiwatari says that it's really just the design that's changed. It has nothing to do with time passing in the story, this is just how she looks in the new graphical style for this game. Katano jokes that some people have guessed she's ten years older, but Ishiwatari says that's way too much. Katano says to look forward to future updates when they'll reveal more about the story and its timeframe.

Regarding the roster, Ishiwatari says since they're rebuilding everything from scratch, it'll be difficult to complete all the characters in time for launch. Katano acknowledges that everyone is wondering who will return from Rev 2 and that he knows that every character is somebody's main. He wants to proceed with development and meet players' expectations as much as possible.

They are trying to solve fundamental problems that are present in Guilty Gear and fighting games in general, and are trying to introduce systems that change how the game feels to play. The stage transitions are an aspect of that, and no matter what they do, their primary design philosophy is to make a balanced fighting game, so they aren't doing these things just for show. However, they're still making a lot of adjustments to the core gameplay systems and aren't ready to discuss the exact impact they will have. That being said, the stage transitions will definitely be an exciting and important part of the new gameplay system.

Ishiwatari's personal opinion is that if a game needs a "beginner's mode," that's probably a sign that the game is already too impenetrable. They want to develop this new title so that it doesn't need a beginner's mode. To that end, they're rethinking the systems that are hard to use or difficult to remember and are rebuilding everything from scratch.

Katano says it's more along the lines of "simple" than "beginner-friendly," and they're taking a different approach than what was done with BBTag, for example. He wants it to be a game that can be played by a wide variety of players.

Ishiwatari elaborates, saying they want to keep the depth they've developed over the course of the series, while lowering the barrier of entry. In other words, the more you dig, the more things you'll discover. That's the idea he wants to protect the most.

Katano says that he wants to get rid of the stuff that seems difficult. However, he says, that even if an auto combo is undeniably easy, that doesn't actually help people understand what's going on in the game. His goal is to try and make a game where people understand what they're doing even if they don't normally play fighting games.

Ishiwatari acknowledges that this is a huge challenge. Thus far, they've made every new title by taking the old parts and tweaking them, powering them up, simplifying them, or removing them. This time is different. Their approach for this title is to build everything from scratch, and then incorporate the good stuff from the previous games.

Katano says that the biggest challenge for him is trying to make sure the game takes off not only in Japan, but all over the world. Up until now, Arc System Works has really only focused on the Japanese audience, and the Japanese players have tended to dominate the competitive scene. This time he wants to broaden the appeal of the game overseas not only through gameplay but through marketing, and to increase the number of fans worldwide. A part of this is that he wants to put more effort into supporting events and tournaments.

Ishiwatari notes that a lot of people in the West play using pads, even though in Japan it's mostly played in arcades or at home using arcade sticks. He wants people to be able to play on pads without there being any sort of incongruity.

Since Ishiwatari mentioned arcades, Katano wanted to add that while they have announced this game as a PS4 title, it's not a PS4 exclusive, and they will announce other platforms in the future.

Katano also mentions that, since he forgot to mention it during the stage presentation, Naoki Hashimoto is returning to do the vocals again, like he did for Xrd, and that players should look forward to Ishiwatari's new music. Ishiwatari says that the character themes will change in the same way their designs have.

Getting back to the gameplay discussion, Katano acknowledges that there are mechanical skill gaps not only between stick and pad players and Japanese and overseas players, but between veterans and newcomers as well. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, he says, but since this is going to be a "completely new game" he thinks it would be best if they could reset the skill floor.

Ishiwatari says that, having worked on the series all this time, he knows that there are many problems and issues, but that he hasn't been able to fix them because "that's Guilty Gear." When it comes to these kind of things, part of him has always wanted to just take a scalpel to them.

An interviewer says that past GG games have placed an emphasis on incorporating difficult combos into your gameplay strategy, and wonders if the new game's design could potentially go as far as eliminating command inputs altogether, to shift the focus entirely to strategy, away from mechanical execution.

Katano admits that they are going in that direction to a certain degree, but at the same time, he doesn't want to stray too far from the idea that a player who takes advantage of advanced techniques should be celebrated. Having combos or special moves that only some players can pull off is one of the coolest aspects of a fighting game.

Ishiwatari adds that Arc System Works games have a reputation as being more crazy or requiring more complex execution than games by other companies, but he thinks that if a fighting game is made well, it will always be difficult, even if the core systems are simple.

Ishiwatari makes an analogy with playing the guitar, but being neither a native speaker nor a musician, I don't entirely understand it. The general thrust is something like, "You can learn to play it quickly, but the deeper you dig into it, the more complexity you'll uncover."

They will reveal more details about the test at ArcRevo America at a later date, including what characters will be playable, and they look forward to receiving feedback.

Katano says they currently have no plans to announce for Rev 2 updates, but they know there are a lot of people who still enjoy the game and they have no intention of abandoning it just because a new game is out. They would like to continue supporting it for those who are still playing it. Ishiwatari acknowledges that there will be players who like the way the old games play, and if those players aren't satisfied by the new Guilty Gear, he wants to make sure that the Xrd series is still there for them.

Finally, they praised Ishiwatari for his versatility as a creator, and asked him what he thinks his best skill is. Ishiwatari responded by saying that he isn't confident about any of them, but that his personality doesn't allow him him stop working on something until it's finished.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Im iffy on some of these ideas but the point about autocombos is pretty accurate so we'll see how this goes, I guess

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There was definitely some decent points made about what doesn't work when trying to simplify a game or make it easier for new players to get into but there's also nothing that really gives me a clear idea on what they think the solution to these problems are. I hope they pull it off though because I've had a tough time trying to get friends to try Guilty Gear.

Glad to hear they've got the same people working on the soundtrack though. That's gonna be great no matter what.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The new trailer song is sick as hell

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

That fleshed-out interview is actually pretty reassuring. It's a little weird though, because Ishiwatari kept talking about what he wanted to do design-wise, and I kind of kept thinking "That sounds like Samurai Shodown" throughout it (basically a really simple system that's easy to come to grips with but it's open enough that you can find a lot of things to do in it over time). But he still wants combos to be a part of it, so that leaves me wondering how you would do that exactly. Also him talking about the stage transition thing being an actual mechanic in the fight makes me wonder if it's something like the position reset after losing a character in FighterZ except it can happen in the middle of a match, like it's there to stop corner pressure being available after a big combo?

Gonna predict it now, if they give it a number it's going to be Guilty Gear 4d (pronounced "forward").

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They will condense 2/6P inputs onto 1/6K and end once and for all the scourge of players mapping P above K on their control setup. 5P/6K will be gone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The combos in the trailer look like they are short with a focus on getting a wall bounce or reset which would be a cool way to make the game approachable for people but also reward skill in keeping your turn but it may just be they dont want to show huge juggles right now and scare casuals away

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 14, 2019

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The side by side is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BU1973W4_w

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

WHOA. When I saw the EVO trailer I just thought it looked a bit better but seeing it side by side is mindblowing, the details, lighting, camera, basicallu everything looks so goddamn awesome.

The Ishiwatari interviews sound very positive and i'm glad that as a dev, he's really open to criticism. Guilty Gear is really fun but isn't as approachable like say Smash or SF, and these changes sound like he's aware of that and willing to make some changes for the sake of getting all types of players on board.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

It's still early but I wonder how stage transitions will play a part in Daisuke's plan to make the game more legible. In current gg, if you get put in the corner you will eat poo poo due to corner specific combos/setups, restricted movement, looping setplay and risk reward being heavily tilted against you.

Stage transitions seem to cash in corner advantage in exchange for a flashy combo opportunity, plus some midscreen oki probably. It seems like this would make the value of the corner make more sense to a new player, and let players limp out of the corner when they gently caress up.

On the other hand, if the reward for a stage transition isn't good enough, would you really want to give up corner for damage if it won't kill? And would this really keep someone new from mashing on wakeup in the corner? (probably not, but maybe they would at least enjoy the stage transition when they get CH)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

each stage section probably has corners and you need to do something special to the opponent to blast them to the next one, which if its the furthest stage section may have a hard corner you cant be blasted through

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Might me something similar to Tekken wall breaks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

Might me something similar to Tekken wall breaks

hope there's a stage where potemkin can put you through the floor 3 times in one combo

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

It's gonna be the Injustice system. The 15-second cutscenes aren't in yet because they aren't done.

I'm personally expecting it to be a combo limiting option, only so many hits can be landed in the corner without the other player getting out before it becomes a stage transfer that drops both players in the middle of the new stage.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Here are the lyrics for the part of the theme song they've put out. How sharp is ice anyways?

https://twitter.com/GUILTYGEAR_PR/status/1176431190800093190

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I was so wrong about every line

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
do you think Jack-O's gonna make it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No shes out until her minions learn to respect dandy step

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

I wonder what they're gonna show in the CEOtaku trailer? I'm guessing it's going to be more Ky/Sol stuff, a couple seconds of May gameplay and then they reveal, I dunno, Potemkin.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

:siren:
https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1177992979581194241
:siren:

Top16 starts at 2:30, top8 after 5PM EDT sunday.

48-16 is tonight at 6.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

New trailer from CEOTaku: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3WPYei07jM

May doing May stuff + new character reveal

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://twitter.com/BxFenns/status/1178461821965099013

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

May's XD during 6P is now ;d

https://twitter.com/remibyou/status/1178461761193664512?s=21

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Boogalo posted:

https://twitter.com/BxFenns/status/1178461821965099013
I don't know, I saw the butterfly and Millia came to mind first.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

It's gonna be a few more trailers before they start showing new characters instead of returning ones, isn't it.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

New character I have met only one other axl main in my life, but I'm glad I'm part of this unseen demographic that demands that he comes back. I thought for sure he'd be a no go this time.