Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Now that the show is over I want to mention that I will never forgive crunchy for not using PIG ASSAULT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
God, UFOtable are wizards I swear.

I'm sure the movie will end up with a limited release in the states but I just hope it happens before S2 starts, assuming we get one cause boy do I hope we do.

Now to set aside some time to binge the manga from the start to further appreciate how good this adaptation must of been.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

Now that the show is over I want to mention that I will never forgive crunchy for not using PIG ASSAULT
:yeah:

Like I know it's probably because it was originally a scanlation (is it on the official release? I dunno), but the idiom Inosuke uses (it's a yojijukugo/4-kanji idiom written something like 「猪突猛進」) is like a perfect encapsulation of Inosuke when we meet him, no matter what the translator decides to go with. Like that moment Dennis from The Refused screeched "CAN I SCREAM?!", or when Greg Puciato made his record debut with Dillinger Escape Plan after being with the band for almost 3 years using the most "gently caress the jeering naysayers" lyrics, or to bring it back into something anime-related, that moment when Levi first shows up and "Reluctant Heroes" start playing in Attack on Titan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am guessing the movie will show up on Crunchyroll.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

God Tanjiro is the biggest dweeb

And I love him so much for it.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am guessing the movie will show up on Crunchyroll.

Yeah, I figure the movie's going to come out, but they're going to chop it up and use the chopped up movie for the first four episodes or so of S2 way down the line.

Train Arc's enough of a turning point that you can't really skip it in the TV anime without causing some issues.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
That Escher-space was sublime.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

That Escher-space was sublime.

That entire scene was horrifying and I loved it. Muzan is such a fantastic villain.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was expecting more from that honestly. More on the level of the end of the mountain arc. That was... Fine, but not all that spectacular.

I'm excited for the movie and a probable season 2.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Muzan is terrifying but part of that for me is just how....simple he is, mentally? Like, I know a lot of the demons typically have some fixation on their past, but Muzan came across like a 10 year old schoolyard bully. Problem is, most schoolyard bullies typically can't manipulate their and your magic blood to warp reality. Basically he acts like a giant brat that I would poo poo my pants if I met him in person.

Good villain!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shinjobi posted:

Muzan is terrifying but part of that for me is just how....simple he is, mentally? Like, I know a lot of the demons typically have some fixation on their past, but Muzan came across like a 10 year old schoolyard bully. Problem is, most schoolyard bullies typically can't manipulate their and your magic blood to warp reality. Basically he acts like a giant brat that I would poo poo my pants if I met him in person.

Good villain!
He's a textbook sociopath- he's overwhelmingly powerful to the point he could 100% no problem go and kill Tanjirou and basically anyone he wants himself but he's so paranoid about possibly getting killed himself he just sends mooks to do all of his work and takes his frustrations out on them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wark Say posted:

:yeah:

Like I know it's probably because it was originally a scanlation (is it on the official release? I dunno), but the idiom Inosuke uses (it's a yojijukugo/4-kanji idiom written something like 「猪突猛進」) is like a perfect encapsulation of Inosuke when we meet him, no matter what the translator decides to go with.
I confirmed it is indeed an idiom according to the Japanese dictionary found here.

It means what it says on the tin though, charging straight ahead like a boar with eyes only on your target and no regard for anything else around or beyond it. I never read the scans so "Pig Assault" was only ever a funny phrase from the pages people posted sometimes, but it is not what I'd consider a good translation since it sounds more like an attack name. It's a weird thing to shout while just running down a hallway for example. (I know Inosuke is weird, but not that weird.)

I double checked to be sure and in his first appearance they translated it as "Comin' through!" in both the anime and manga. Which is appropriate and snappy, albeit less memetic.

Sometimes catchphrases from scans are good and deserve to be made official like Kaguya's "How cute" but in this case I think dropping it is the right call. It's beloved among fans but it's also essentially made up. If they wanted to try and squeeze the pig joke in then maybe I would've used something like "full bore" to be cute but unfortunately I don't think there's any way to retain that pun without kanji while conveying the actual meaning of the word.

Also side note, when I was teaching in Japan one of my schools' sports day teams once used that idiom for their team banner but they replaced the "boar" kanji with the "deer" kanji. I didn't know the original idiom so I couldn't make sense of it at the time, but now I know! Thanks Inosuke!

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 29, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'd offer pig assault at the altar if it meant the official tl didn't have to keep terms like "hashira" and "hinokami kagura"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

dogsicle posted:

i'd offer pig assault at the altar if it meant the official tl didn't have to keep terms like "hashira" and "hinokami kagura"
I have no idea why these terms aren't translated. There is absolutely no reason I can see why Hashira shouldn't just be Pillar and Fire God Dance is a given.

Also Nichirin Swords should just be Sunlight Swords. There's a lot of weirdness going on. Maybe Shueisha wanted to keep the terms for international brand recognition or something.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What? Pillar is perfectly acceptable/respectable. Hell, if it worked for the quartet of vampiric musclemen named after a mexican shredder, a new wave band, a pop duo and the proto cock-rock band, why wouldn't it work for the big badass top dogs fighting against them demons?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Localization anymore is really weird. Hashira and Kizuki don't mean anything to non-Japanese speakers- Pillar and "Demon Moon" kinda get the idea that these characters are a big deal across better I think. They also sound cooler in English at least.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Localization anymore is really weird. Hashira and Kizuki don't mean anything to non-Japanese speakers- Pillar and "Demon Moon" kinda get the idea that these characters are a big deal across better I think. They also sound cooler in English at least.
Agreed. The Twelve Demon Moons sound awesome. What the gently caress is a twelve kizuki, it's something that's gonna sound really stupid when this gets dubbed, that's what.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Agreed. The Twelve Demon Moons sound awesome. What the gently caress is a twelve kizuki, it's something that's gonna sound really stupid when this gets dubbed, that's what.

Also they only half translate it. It's like one word in Japanese. Junikizuki. They only translate the Twelve, and also for some reason try to take out all the Moon references. Lower Moon and Upper Moon sound cooler then Lower Rank and Upper Rank. Like there are a ton of references to the Moon in Muzan's faction yet Viz seems to want to take them all out.

I hope they translate the terms in the dub.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That sure was the prettiest B anime I've ever seen. Sure, I'll take a movie, sounds fun.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I like how furious muzan was that rui only killed like 90% of the demon slayers latest cohort of recruits

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Homura and Sickle posted:

I like how furious muzan was that rui only killed like 90% of the demon slayers latest cohort of recruits

The fact that Rui died at all pissed him off enough to kill 3 Demons stronger than him.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I mean you'd be pretty mad too if you were giving your super magic blood to underlings and the only thing they were accomplishing is leveling up your opposition.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Homura and Sickle posted:

Not a manga reader here so don't know if he ever gets to do more, but the impression I get of Muzan from the anime and what few manga spoilers I've not been able to avoid is that he isn't even really all that intelligent and basically gets by on a combination of overwhelming power and only ever dealing with his problems through intermediaries.

Edit: Which isn't a bad thing! Especially not in a battle manga that's not really about ingenious schemes in the first place. Just means he hasn't read the evil overlord list, so to speak.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 29, 2019

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The last few episodes were fine, but I am at least now hyped for the demon train arc.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Really hope that movie is watchable on crunchyroll.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raposa posted:

Really hope that movie is watchable on crunchyroll.

Likewise, canon anime movie is a terrifying prospect because who knows when it'll be avaliable worldwide, so that'd help a lot.

Also Zenitsu was very enjoyable in this episode serving as the common sense, city-knowing part of the team, and I hope that the movie and following seasons have more of that and less screaming.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The impression that I got is that Muzan is a sociopath with a god complex. He fully intended on killing every last one of them, and only spares the last of the five because said demon is a sycophant who is worshiping the ground he walks on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PlasticAutomaton posted:

The impression that I got is that Muzan is a sociopath with a god complex. He fully intended on killing every last one of them, and only spares the last of the five because said demon is a sycophant who is worshiping the ground he walks on.

And because of Mind Reading knows he was genuine.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I hope the blurays for this come out soon my mum’ll love this show

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Tanjiro-Nezukooie

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Likewise, canon anime movie is a terrifying prospect because who knows when it'll be avaliable worldwide, so that'd help a lot.
On the plus side, Dragonball and One Piece movies have been coming out within a few months of their Japanese release and My Hero did the same so I think we can hope for a relatively quick stateside showing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Hey so I just finished watching this and I'm a little confused about where it fits into the Jojo timeline. Because of the electricity in the city it must be between parts 1 and 2 right?

It still doesn't fully explain how Michael Jackson came to possess a stone mask though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpartanIvy posted:

Hey so I just finished watching this and I'm a little confused about where it fits into the Jojo timeline. Because of the electricity in the city it must be between parts 1 and 2 right?

It still doesn't fully explain how Michael Jackson came to possess a stone mask though.

Here's a Taisho secret to answer that.

The Taisho era happened between 30 July, 1912 and 25 December, 1926. Part 1 ends in 1889, while Part 2 starts in 1938. Therefore, your guess is actually correct, the events of Kimetsu no Yaiba would happen between Parts 1 and 2.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/kusi0124/status/1178274097387585536

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Here's a Taisho secret to answer that.

The Taisho era happened between 30 July, 1912 and 25 December, 1926. Part 1 ends in 1889, while Part 2 starts in 1938. Therefore, your guess is actually correct, the events of Kimetsu no Yaiba would happen between Parts 1 and 2.

So the perfect timescale for a Baccano crossover when Nezuko and Zenitsu go on their honeymoon to New York?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Still on episode 7, but....

Holy poo poo, the soundtrack of this series is gorgeous. Rich and varied and fits each scene so very well.

Also such an eminently hateable, unique main villain at first appearance. Far more than I was expecting.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/tanjimochi/status/1183940773529583618?s=20

Blessed Tanjiro seiyuu content.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I swear I read/watched at some point that he actually considered becoming a pro-player through League of Legends before he started getting more significant parts at around 2012-2013, so this is pretty on point.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Full video

Edit:Embed doesn't seem to be working

https://youtu.be/58QBOxj2xmI

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hah, of course a shonen VA uses the Long Sword.