Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Rebuilding the database did nothing to help Hulu open on my PS4. Guess I'll try searching around for the save file to delete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just finished The Politician on Netflix, the new Ryan Murphy show starring Ben Platt.

Ben Platt is fantastic in it, and they were smart to give him opportunities to show off his singing in ways that didn't seem out of place.

And while the show is entertaining, it's also kind of a complete mess. It can't decide if it wants to be Rushmore, Election, Glee, or The Act. It takes many elements directly from each of these, but does not do them as well as any of them. It jumps from plot point to plot point, twists and backstabs, without reason or explanation. There exist subplots solely to serve as places to stick Ryan Murphy's friends that have absolutely bearing on the plot. And there are two "lead" actresses who look identical, with identical haircuts, and similar names, so it's difficult to distinguish between them. And I say lead, because this really is Ben Platt's show, I think both of these actresses were supposed to be major characters, but their storylines were so shoddily treated and barely there that I was surprised when they suddenly become "important" in the final episode.

I am excited to see how things move forward with Judith Light and Bette Midler.

And finally, while I absolutely love Sufjan Stevens, the use of his song "Chicago" as the main theme seemed out of place. And it's interesting to see them trying to give a Sufjanesque sound to the rest of the show's music.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I kind of love Disenchanted.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Anybody else try out “The I-Land” and bail before the the first episode was over? Usually even if the show isn’t that great I’ll stick around for a second episode to see if it improves but either the writing was just that terrible or the actors received poor direction or they’re just bad actors because the whole thing felt like it was a really bad English dub, despite being entirely in English.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I made it less than 10 minutes before turning it off.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I got through the first episode, but barely.

It really did feel dubbed.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Watched Timetrap on a whim on Netflix. Surprisingly enjoyable, if a bit cheesy at parts. If you like the time travel genre you might enjoy it. It has some cool ideas.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

veni veni veni posted:

I kind of love Disenchanted.

I watched the first couple episodes of season 1, found it mediocre with a few decent laughs. Does it pick up?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

I watched the first couple episodes of season 1, found it mediocre with a few decent laughs. Does it pick up?

Hard to say. Overall I'd say yeah, since the ongoing story is pretty entertaining. But to me the jokes/characters are consistently in line with Futurama at it's best. It never strays far from just being fantasy Futurama though, so ymmv depending on how appealing that sales pitch is. It's not like, amazing or anything but to me it's good comfort food.

Unrelated, but you guys need to watch Aniara on Hulu! This movie is so good and loving no one is talking about it! I already mentioned the movie itt, but if this has to become my personal TRAIN TO BUSAN so be it.

:siren: Aniara!!!!! Watch it! :siren:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Unrelated, but you guys need to watch Aniara on Hulu! This movie is so good and loving no one is talking about it! I already mentioned the movie itt, but if this has to become my personal TRAIN TO BUSAN so be it.

:siren: Aniara!!!!! Watch it! :siren:

Yeah, I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. It took me a minute to get over them saying the trip was to Mars when it was obviously not contained to our solar system, but it's such a minor quibble in an otherwise really original and interesting movie. Its willingness to repeatedly upend the status quo was incredible, like how Mima gets offed only partway in, when you could easily imagine a movie entirely about that one aspect. And the lead actress was really great.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 29, 2019

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

If you didn't like the first episodes of Disenchanted you probably won't like the rest of it much

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

dirksteadfast posted:

Anybody else try out “The I-Land” and bail before the the first episode was over? Usually even if the show isn’t that great I’ll stick around for a second episode to see if it improves but either the writing was just that terrible or the actors received poor direction or they’re just bad actors because the whole thing felt like it was a really bad English dub, despite being entirely in English.

I watched it because someone in a thread said it was a trainwreck and I wanted to see just how bad. Regretted it. Saw Neil Labute's name pop up for the credits and it was like "oh, no loving wonder"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

TRAIN
TO
BUSAN!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm not sure I exactly enjoyed Aniara, but it's extremely good and I think it accomplished exactly what it set out to do.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ignis posted:

If you didn't like the first episodes of Disenchanted you probably won't like the rest of it much

Nah, Disenchanted does get better, but 2 seasons in, and it's still no Simpsons or Futurama.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

2 seasons in? there are only two seasons. I disagree though. I think it's totally on par with futurama at it's best. As far as Simpsons is concerned well...What era are we talking about lol.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Avengement on Netflix is loving great.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

dirksteadfast posted:

I did watch it all the way through, it was terrible, so desperate to be Lost. Warden was fun though, he had a great line in the last episode that was just so stuid it redeemed at least him.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Probably an odd question, but does anyone know of any movies on Hulu, Prime, or Netflix with abrupt or strange tonal shifts? Even better if it veers into thriller or horror territory.

Something like if Us started without the backstory and instead with the drive to the cabin and the first 30 minutes was filled with fun family time at the beach, etc. and then the doppelgangers show up out of nowhere and went off the rails.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Probably an odd question, but does anyone know of any movies on Hulu, Prime, or Netflix with abrupt or strange tonal shifts? Even better if it veers into thriller or horror territory.

Something like if Us started without the backstory and instead with the drive to the cabin and the first 30 minutes was filled with fun family time at the beach, etc. and then the doppelgangers show up out of nowhere and went off the rails.

The Perfection on Netflix might be the platonic ideal of "abrupt and strange tonal shifts".

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Mammal Sauce posted:

Serenity (the one with Matthew McConaughey) is on Prime. Watch it blind with as little information as possible.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't think it's streaming on the big three, but the perfect example of that is always From Dusk Till Dawn.

Sunshine also has an abrupt tonal shift.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I don't think it's streaming on the big three, but the perfect example of that is always From Dusk Till Dawn.

Always. My friends and I saw that during its initial release in a theater that otherwise was empty. We had actually completely forgotten about where the movie was going to go, so it was a pretty awesome experience.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Would Sorry to Bother You count?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Sunshine also has an abrupt tonal shift.

Heck yes, my wife didn't know anything about this From Dusk Til Dawn and her reaction once things shifted was pretty excellent.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Would Sorry to Bother You count?

Absolutely! I was completely unprepared for that. It really alienated my wife, but I think it's a movie everyone needs to see for multiple reasons, even though parts are uncomfortable. Plus, it's on Hulu.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Jolo posted:

Heck yes, my wife didn't know anything about this From Dusk Til Dawn and her reaction once things shifted was pretty excellent.

I remember my brother and I renting this right after it came out on VHS. My brother had seen it, but hadn't really told me much about it and I was definitely surprised. My wife had never seen it and about 6 months ago I streamed it from somewhere and her reaction was pretty good.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Also, I've never seen it, but I've heard Sunshine is like the writers changed their mind 2/3 of the way through. Is it worth a watch?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Mammal Sauce posted:

I remember my brother and I renting this right after it came out on VHS. My brother had seen it, but hadn't really told me much about it and I was definitely surprised. My wife had never seen it and about 6 months ago I streamed it from somewhere and her reaction was pretty good.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Also, I've never seen it, but I've heard Sunshine is like the writers changed their mind 2/3 of the way through. Is it worth a watch?

The first 2/3 of it are good. I'm really not a fan of the last act. So if you can deal with having a really unsatisfactory ending it's worthwhile.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mammal Sauce posted:

The “shift” is foreshadowed constantly up to that point and the supposed change to a slasher features one character being stabbed and one slashed non fatally in a single chase sequence that takes up much, much less than a third of the movie. I suspect most people with this complaint haven’t seen the movie in a decade

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Sorry to Bother to you is so good. Maybe the best movie of the past 10 years.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mammal Sauce posted:

I don't know if it's also the the states but right now The World's End is on Netflix where I live.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Sorry to Bother to you is so good. Maybe the best movie of the past 10 years.

I think I saw it? Were there... Cow people? Or something? In the basement? What the hell movie am I thinking of

vv hahaha ok yeah that was a good movie, I saw it while I worked at a call center and remember feeling like it was basically a documentary vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 1, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

I think I saw it? Were there... Cow people? Or something? In the basement? What the hell movie am I thinking of

Ugh! No! Don't be ridiculous!

It was horse people in the bathroom.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

DeimosRising posted:

The “shift” is foreshadowed constantly up to that point and the supposed change to a slasher features one character being stabbed and one slashed non fatally in a single chase sequence that takes up much, much less than a third of the movie. I suspect most people with this complaint haven’t seen the movie in a decade

I'm glad someone else agrees with me about this. I love that movie including the ending (although I see why some people wouldn't), but it's not as much of the movie as people act.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Glottis posted:

I'm glad someone else agrees with me about this. I love that movie including the ending (although I see why some people wouldn't), but it's not as much of the movie as people act.

It whips rear end

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Sturgill Simpson anime on Netflix is no Interstella 5555, but I dug it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

People were saying it back when it came out too, but it always struck me as a more of a circle jerk than anything. It sucks that it seems to ultimately have damaged the reputation of one of my favorite sci fi films ever. I've always thought that the narrative about how the ending sucks or that it "turns into a slasher movie" was complete bs. The ending is great. The whole thing is great.

It's also been really influential on a ton of movies since without ever getting any credit for it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Finished GLOW S3 and yeah this season wasn’t a comedy. Maybe I’m totally misremembering the drama/comedy split in earlier seasons but it felt like this one swung hard over to nearly straight drama. Most of the characters are dealing with Big Issues and while some of them sorta get resolved there’s still some more Big Issues to deal with in S4. I think only maybe three episodes had any wrestling? I still care about the characters I guess so I’ll watch S4 but it seems like a bit of a tonal shift. I honestly wonder about the demographics of who watches this show and if maybe they moved the writing to match.

StandardFireworks
Sep 24, 2019

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't know if it's also the the states but right now The World's End is on Netflix where I live.

My mother thought that The World's End was just a hangout movie about old friends having a pub crawl and was absolutely not prepared for what happens when Simon Pegg goes into the bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardFireworks
Sep 24, 2019

david_a posted:

Finished GLOW S3 and yeah this season wasn’t a comedy. Maybe I’m totally misremembering the drama/comedy split in earlier seasons but it felt like this one swung hard over to nearly straight drama. Most of the characters are dealing with Big Issues and while some of them sorta get resolved there’s still some more Big Issues to deal with in S4. I think only maybe three episodes had any wrestling? I still care about the characters I guess so I’ll watch S4 but it seems like a bit of a tonal shift. I honestly wonder about the demographics of who watches this show and if maybe they moved the writing to match.

There was definitely something off about this season. I more or less enjoyed each episode as I watched them, but in retrospect it seems weaker than the previous two seasons. I read a review that said Ruth's arc in particular doesn't track with where she was going in the rest of the series and I really agree with that.

I was definitely one of those people who cared less about the wrestling than the interpersonal drama, but the absence of it this season was really noticeable.

Hopefully they can make everything come together for the fourth and final season.