Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Kanos posted:

Yakumo has nothing on Io, who if you're unlocking the Eos vestiges gets multiple insanely damaging nukes that she loves to chain together.

I think I'm not far enough for it and she tends to die after she has to rez me cause she has to use the Big version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i tried soloing the intro section on a new character after playing 5ish hours cuz people were saying that's the true fromsoulsvein 3 experience but man even in that little bit walking around is dull as poo poo without your partner talking and making noise all the time. i quit DkS 1 a few bosses after anor londo ten years ago am i really gonna care about trivializing the difficulty or w/e

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DisDisDis posted:

i tried soloing the intro section on a new character after playing 5ish hours cuz people were saying that's the true fromsoulsvein 3 experience but man even in that little bit walking around is dull as poo poo without your partner talking and making noise all the time. i quit DkS 1 a few bosses after anor londo ten years ago am i really gonna care about trivializing the difficulty or w/e

Do whatever makes you happy, this is why they give the option. If nothing else, at least try the bosses solo so you can actually learn their movesets, exploration is probs fine to run around with an AI commenting on everything.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I always play with a partner cause I like it that way.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DisDisDis posted:

The game is clearly designed to be played with a partner, so while it's perfectly doable solo it's gonna involve a lot of kiting and running away.

Throumbas
Dec 24, 2006

why did the byob cross the road

Kanos posted:

Yakumo has nothing on Io, who if you're unlocking the Eos vestiges gets multiple insanely damaging nukes that she loves to chain together.

Wait, so unlocking vestiges for your ai partners gives them new abilities?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The areas are extremely tedious without a partner because the enemies tend to be numerous and very damaging and have no qualms about attacking you from off camera, and your healing supplies are very limited. They feel well tuned for a partner and kind of frustrating without. Bosses, on the other hand, are kind of the other way around - you can get carried through a lot of boss fights pretty hard by your companions.

That said, the companions are fun and the game feels less alive and interesting without them so I just tend to keep them around all the time. Who gives a poo poo about e-honor or whatever, do what's fun.

Throumbas posted:

Wait, so unlocking vestiges for your ai partners gives them new abilities?

Only for Io, and this is only based on my personal anecdotal experience - Io started off using a big nasty lightning nuke, and when I cleared the mountain with the good ending and got the Eos fragment there she started using an ice nuke as well. My friend who got the bad ending on the mountain was curious since he's farther than me and never saw Io use an ice nuke.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's not about e-honor or anything, I just find actually learning boss patterns and poo poo more fun than letting Yakumo solo everything for me. To each ones own and all. I do feel like the best balance is hang out with your buddies while exploring so they can point out random poo poo to you and switch them out for boss fights.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

So far I've done exploring solo and the bosses with a partner since the bosses I've seen so far seemed annoyingly tanky

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My stance on not using the partner is really for Souls vets anyway. If you've played them solo there isn't much in Code Vein that's harder.

I think the difference is that some sections while exploring feel more like the DS2 co-op areas where enemy numbers are tuned for two people. Just they're not in clearly separate areas so sometimes they pop up unexpectedly.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
speaking of partners, how's the online in this? I gathered you can basically do it immediately, but can two/whatever people just play through the game smoothly or is it like regular souls and you're in someone's world so you have to do everything at least twice

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Gamerofthegame posted:

speaking of partners, how's the online in this? I gathered you can basically do it immediately, but can two/whatever people just play through the game smoothly or is it like regular souls and you're in someone's world so you have to do everything at least twice

The latter, it’s Souls rules for multiplayer including not summoning when the boss is dead, but no player invasions. I’m pretty sure though that I read that there’s not a system for being too over leveled or geared to play together and that instead you scale to the host. You also can just get help without needing an item or to be in a particular state.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 30, 2019

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Holy poo poo Anime Anor Londo is extremely way too long and complicated and now I got to the end I have Isis A, B, C and E. Which is the worst. I have no idea where in that loving mess is D.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Infinity Gaia posted:

Holy poo poo Anime Anor Londo is extremely way too long and complicated and now I got to the end I have Isis A, B, C and E. Which is the worst. I have no idea where in that loving mess is D.

You can’t miss it. Just keep going forward.

And yeah the cathedral is super convoluted in a bad way. Every part of it is indistinct. Thankfully the next area is better.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 30, 2019

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Sorry if this has already been answered itt but how does leveling up work? Do I get different increased values based on which code or whatever I have equipped, or is it always the same baseline? I have like 30k Haze and am still level 1 because I am paralyzed by doubt

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what're the odds some enterprising modder is going to put a "Make Your Partner Shut the gently caress Up" option in the steam version

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Level is independent of blood code afaik, raise it up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

Sorry if this has already been answered itt but how does leveling up work? Do I get different increased values based on which code or whatever I have equipped, or is it always the same baseline? I have like 30k Haze and am still level 1 because I am paralyzed by doubt

Good lord no, it just buffs health and base damage. It changing based on what you have equipped would totally ruin the whole use every build theme the game has!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

Your level is merely a number. Your currently equipped blood code provides you with all of your stats, each of which have an individual scaling factor that's multiplied by your level to get the final stat.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Hmm... that special monster that appears in one of the cutscenes look suspiciously familiar.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Mainly it's just been blood trials that have spiked my blood pressure while soloing. It tends to expose all the bad things about the controls, movesets, and poise to me. Like if I roll from an enemy and buffer an input I expect the move to fire in the direction of the enemy but it instead goes off in whatever direction I rolled towards (which usually means I die)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The sections I've turned to the partners for utility rather than just for fun are:

- Blood trials
- The run to the Berserker boss in the cathedral
- Double Boreal Brutes

I have been doing the Depths with partners too but those are pretty easy anyway so it's more fun to get 'em done quicker

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What I have enjoyed about the games story is that it feels as though you are playing the characters that in usual dark souls games were supposed to clean up everything before it got real bad but failed.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I decided to go for the bad ending first seeing as most people aren't doing it, and it's kinda wild that each of the decision point bosses has two different blood codes depending on whether you do things "right" or not. Not one better than the other, two completely different ones. That's a lot of blood codes!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Regy Rusty posted:

Good lord no, it just buffs health and base damage. It changing based on what you have equipped would totally ruin the whole use every build theme the game has!

Vermain posted:

Your level is merely a number. Your currently equipped blood code provides you with all of your stats, each of which have an individual scaling factor that's multiplied by your level to get the final stat.

Thanks y'all

I had PTSD from levelling Resistance in Ye Olde Soulse Game and didn't want to fall into some newbie-trap pit of despair as I leveled the wrong thing

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Be sure to embrace the system and change up classes often as itt makes the game feel more alive when you handle each area with a different build.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Hunt11 posted:

Be sure to embrace the system and change up classes often as itt makes the game feel more alive when you handle each area with a different build.

Hell, you'll be wanting to change up classes anyways just so you can unlock all the gifts they have.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Most codes only seem to have one or two gifts sadly

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Most codes only seem to have one or two gifts sadly

Huh? The lowest gift count for any code (aside from the preorder bonus one) is 4. Most have 6-8 and your teammates have 10 or 11!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Let us have 8 active and 8 passive gifts you cowards.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

I am pretty sure you can have 7 active gifts when using a controller.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Hunt11 posted:

I am pretty sure you can have 7 active gifts when using a controller.

You can have 8 and 4. I want 8 and 8.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Regy Rusty posted:

Huh? The lowest gift count for any code (aside from the preorder bonus one) is 4. Most have 6-8 and your teammates have 10 or 11!

I meant one or two good ones heh, the teammate ones tend to have a few more.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

I meant one or two good ones heh, the teammate ones tend to have a few more.

Oh yeah, they're not all winners

Saint Freak posted:

This

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It was a brutal battle against the successor of the rib(not really), but the reward was well worth it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So this game actually is turning out to be pretty decent then? I'll have to keep it on a wishlist for a sale.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

So this game actually is turning out to be pretty decent then? I'll have to keep it on a wishlist for a sale.

The story may drag on in places and some of the areas are a real pain to navigate but the combat is solid enough and being able to change up your entire character build at a moments notice is a lot of fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Combat is great and a lot of fun. Story is extremely over the top and melodramatic but I like the characters and setting and am enjoying it a lot. Level design is probably the game's weakest point but it still has some really cool areas. Overall it is a good game and my favorite non From Souls clone.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anor Londo: did I miss a lot of area somehow or does the memory stuff just happen in the middle? I assume I should do memory instead of 100% Anor Londo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Anor Londo: did I miss a lot of area somehow or does the memory stuff just happen in the middle? I assume I should do memory instead of 100% Anor Londo?

I think the memory might actually be completely optional. At any rate it's exactly the halfway point of the cathedral.