Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Scratch Monkey posted:

Auto loader is one less dude who can help replace tracks and stuff

Conversely, also one less 130-150lb mass of partially-charred goo you have to hose out of what's left of the tank after it's hit by an ATGM. >.>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I got to see the Naval Academy Museum Saturday, and while the World War One section was surprisingly short and sparse, I did see one painting I found neat:

Great-granddad posted:

Nov. 21 - “Der Tag” - “The Day” the German Navy used to toast as the Day when they would defeat the Royal Navy.
Turned out at 1:30 A.M. to get the Florida underway. We were to meet the German “High Seas” Fleet at 0800 fifty miles east of May Island, which is at the mouth of the Firth of Forth. It was a beautiful day, clear and calm, though a bit misty. The wind was from the south. At 0930 the lookout reported the High Seas Fleet on our starboard bow and all hands went to their battle stations, and broke out powder, projectiles and gas masks.
The German ships were in column formation, but straggled badly. The battle cruisers led, followed by the battle ships - the order being as follows: Seydlitz, Moltke, Derflinger, Hindenburg, Von der Tann, Friedrich der Grosse, Konig Albert, Kaiser, Prince Regent Luitpold, Kaiserin, Bayern, Markgraf, Kronprinz Wilhelm, Grosser Kurfurst; then came six light crusiers followed by forty-nine destroyers, as one hit a mine coming over.
The Grand Fleet split into two columns on either flank of the Germans, the interval between columns being six miles, with each column three miles from the Germans, who were in between and on an opposite course. The Grand Fleet then countermarched and steered in the same course as the Germans. The German ships anchored off Inchkeith, while the Grand Fleet returned to its anchorage in the Firth of Forth. The British battle cruisers Lion, Tiger, New Zealand and Australia were opposite the U.S. Ships. There was one French crusier present.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 24, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Conversely, also one less 130-150lb mass of partially-charred goo you have to hose out of what's left of the tank after it's hit by an ATGM. >.>

I died to Sagger missiles in the simulator more than anything else. gently caress ATGMs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Injured, my rear end. Nobody survived that (if that's one of the vehicles they drop with people in).

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Injuries were just jumpers. They didn't have anybody in the vehicles (according to the journalists posting this stuff).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Cousin got married a few weeks ago at the old base chapel on Mare Island. I only took 2 pictures.

The whole place is covered in things like that.

http://www.mareislandmuseum.org/venues/st-peters-chapel/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Crosspost from AIRPOWER thread regarding Houthi drone attacks/upgrades. These are the Qasefs used in Yemen and Southern KSA, not the stuff used to target Aramco two weeks back.

mlmp08 posted:

Here's some video allegedly showing Saudi F-15s intercepting Qasef drones from Yemen, as well as some other drones. It's an expensive way to solve a problem, to be sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNpr24uLr-g

Video alleging to be Houthis testing out warhead upgrades on a Qasef:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h8xkAapCpo

Video of Houthi drone attack on Yemen government event. (Warning: Blood in video, no gore, people died in this attack)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ynRdprWWA

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Stolen from AI, and loving awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Q5R9oBrmo

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

That Works posted:

Good enough reason to repost the best thing ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-YsSL65quM

The dude just cracking up and cheering in the background kills me every time. You can just hear the pure joy.

This popped up in my related videos and it's not related at all but it's loving pretty epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKMjTqdTYo

MoH guy John Chapman drone footage.

Dude gets shot, blown up by air support, passes out for like an hour and then wakes up and just keeps fighting. It's really sad but it's such a crazy last stand at the same time.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Another cross-post from the Airpower thread

glynnenstein posted:

Fighting and dropping their wallets.

https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/1177004913139699712

e: Click for a little more on this dude's other mementos of Ukraine, etc.

Russian mercenary in Libya drops his wallet after retreating from enemy airstrikes. The Libyans immediate commit identity fraud with his credit cards, and decide to post the wallet on twitter for the hell of it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That thing on the bottom right seems to be his plane ticket? It says electronic billet

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Uh oh

https://twitter.com/narrabyee/status/1178297122392875008?s=21

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jeeze, if that is their column and they abandoned that or walked into an ambush, they really are pathetic.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CommieGIR posted:

Jeeze, if that is their column and they abandoned that or walked into an ambush, they really are pathetic.

Pretty sure it was both, walked into an ambush and promptly ran away

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Walked into an ambush in a goddamned textbook "set up an ambush here" location. What a bunch of morons.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
M163 VADs got captured.

https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1178300456017256448?s=09

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I read that the Houthis are claiming they captured three brigades! How are the Saudis so bad at fighting???

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

At this rate the Saudis are going to somehow manage to lose this loving war

e: I mean lose as in they get their regime collapsing, not they are forced to declare victory and go home

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 29, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

At this rate the Saudis are going to somehow manage to lose this loving war

e: I mean lose as in they get their regime collapsing, not they are forced to declare victory and go home

Good.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

I read that the Houthis are claiming they captured three brigades! How are the Saudis so bad at fighting???

A decent primer for why that might be

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I never realised Saudis didn't even have like, regular weapons and uniforms and poo poo :psyduck:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

my kinda ape posted:

I suspect the fact that many of the Saudi soldiers on the ground are actually indentured servants imported to serve as mercenaries has a whole lot to do with it. They're not treated well and I can't imagine they're too excited to actually fight.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I suspect the fact that many of the Saudi soldiers on the ground are actually indentured servants imported to serve as mercenaries has a whole lot to do with it. They're not treated well and I can't imagine they're too excited to actually fight.

Yeah, the Saudis are already using slave labor to build all of their stuff, it's not much of a stretch to think that they're gang pressing people into service. Generally speaking, people in a volunteer army don't flee immediately when they receive contact. Also, you don't stay super rich by paying people well.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Dude gets shot, blown up by air support, passes out for like an hour and then wakes up and just keeps fighting. It's really sad but it's such a crazy last stand at the same time.

:stare: Holy poo poo.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

This popped up in my related videos and it's not related at all but it's loving pretty epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKMjTqdTYo

That's the guy the SEAL team accidentally left for dead right?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Yes.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
And then they tried to block his Medal of Honor because they didn't want to admit they'd left him.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

holy gently caress did someone scrub the hell out of the wiki article about him

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

McNally posted:

And then they tried to block his Medal of Honor because they didn't want to admit they'd left him.

Now that’s what I expected from seals.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Richard Bong posted:

Now that’s what I expected from seals.

They also decided to use it to give the squad leader, who left Chapman behind, his own MoH.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/world/asia/seal-team-6-afghanistan-man-left-for-dead.amp.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

They also decided to use it to give the squad leader, who left Chapman behind, his own MoH.

Well, you know, those chairforce guys...

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

it's really weird how everyone in the special operations community seems to despise navy seals

like every single person I've met with even a tangential connection to special ops can't loving stand them

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Could they be the designated PR group?

You never hear about the other parts of the special forces community, but the seals are always front and center grabbing the spotlight. Maybe that causes some dissatisfaction. Or maybe they are a bunch of cowboys who drank the kool-aid.

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
It's what happens when you take a bunch of psychotic frat bros who joined cause they wanted to seem cool like the seals in the movies as well as for the free book deal when they ETS. Follow it up with a selection that is too short to instill proper fundamentals and immediately have them all tell each other that they're untouchable rockstar gods of war as soon as they graduate.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

McNally posted:

Lmao loving hell

subterfudge posted:

It's what happens when you take a bunch of psychotic frat bros who joined cause they wanted to seem cool like the seals in the movies as well as for the free book deal when they ETS. Follow it up with a selection that is too short to instill proper fundamentals and immediately have them all tell each other that they're untouchable rockstar gods of war as soon as they graduate.

I'm still trying to read Lone Survivor, but it's loving impossible to get into because the dude literally spends entire chapters complaining about ROE and how it's wrong that they can't shoot kids and teenagers, while simultaneously ranting about evil bearded fanatics who kill kids and civilians all the time. The irony and lack of self-awareness is unbelievable.
The chapter about Hell Week was pretty rad though.

PittTheElder posted:

A Bad Poster posted:

Yeah, the Saudis are already using slave labor to build all of their stuff, it's not much of a stretch to think that they're gang pressing people into service. Generally speaking, people in a volunteer army don't flee immediately when they receive contact. Also, you don't stay super rich by paying people well.

This makes a lot of sense and it's exactly what those captured dudes in that Houthi footage look like :(

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

diremonk posted:

Could they be the designated PR group?

You never hear about the other parts of the special forces community, but the seals are always front and center grabbing the spotlight. Maybe that causes some dissatisfaction. Or maybe they are a bunch of cowboys who drank the kool-aid.

I dunno, green berets make the news when seals murder them

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

They don't call them the "Quiet Professionals" for no reason.

I wonder how Iceslice is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
SEAL’s serve a purpose, and are a useful force.

That said: Reform, Reform, Reform.

The GWOT has completely broken the SEAL community, and it’s gonna take years to unfuck.

I’ve always been thoroughly impressed with Special Forces soldiers. They’re an impressive lot. They have a huge breadth of mission that require a loving impressive tool set.

If your fortunate enough to get a chance to work with SF: Take It. There’s a better than good chance that you are going to be working with some of the best folks in the Army.