Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

AceOfFlames posted:

If I were a philanthropist hell yeah I would control every dollar. Not to make people "dance" but to make sure that, say, if I invested in medical or evironmental research that it would go to actual research instead of vanishing into "administration costs" (i.e. the pockets of the senior lab executives)

it's hosed up mentalities like these that lead to a village of 500 getting 80,000 malaria mosquito nets and inadequate food, water and medication aid. because overzealous idiots with some extra dollars to spend and a fundamental misunderstanding of how international aid works do not, in fact, know what the best use of that money will be on the other side of the world.

also, it's weird to think that civil society organizations and non-profits should not pay their employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

God Hole posted:

also, it's weird to think that civil society organizations and non-profits should not pay their employees

I'm not saying they shouldn't be paid, I'm saying that we shouldn't get poo poo like the Susan G Komen CEO making $600k and partnering up with companies that make products that make CAUSE cancer. If I had Jeff Bezos money, I'd have auditors on their rear end to stop that poo poo.

Paying the rank and file decently? Of course! Just make sure the money isn't being embezzled, set a hard limit on exec pay and make sure they are getting results.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 27, 2019

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Getting every donated dollar into a rich fucker's pocket instead of anywhere useful is the entire point of rich person charity.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/louis-ck-toronto-shows-1.5300706

quote:

Embattled comic Louis C.K. is coming to Toronto for a string of standup dates, and he's imposing some pretty strict conditions on the audience.

The former HBO star kicks off a five-day residency at Yuk Yuk's on Wednesday.

But the comedy comeback comes with some rules for the audience: namely, no phones, and no "recording of any kind, including note taking." Anyone who violates those rules will be asked to leave.

The rules are detailed on the Yuk Yuk's website, which also notes that cell phones, recording devices and smart accessories will not be permitted.

While it's not uncommon for artists to ban recording devices and cell phones, it is unusual for "note-taking" to also be banned.

Prohibiting recordings isn't unusual, but I'm guessing Louis C.K. didn't always have that stipulation in his performance contracts? Not sure he has to worry about anyone stealing his lovely new material when he's waving it around in front of a large audience.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Oh no Carlos Mencia is pretending to write a big tip for the waitress but is actually writing down his fish dick jokes

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stahlgeist posted:

Prohibiting recordings isn't unusual, but I'm guessing Louis C.K. didn't always have that stipulation in his performance contracts?

Prohibiting recording is pretty standard under ASCAP / BMI licensing, but it's almost never enforced. There have been a few weird circumstances of people having to put their cell phone in a Ziploc bag or a locker prior to entering the venue, but it's not really common. It depends upon the state and municipality, but rent-a-cops doing pat-downs to see if patrons have cell phones in their pockets is generally highly illegal.

quote:

Not sure he has to worry about anyone stealing his lovely new material when he's waving it around in front of a large audience.

I see what you did there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

That’s old shriveled material tho

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
No "note taking". Get loving real. This guy takes himself too seriously.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Prohibiting recording is pretty standard under ASCAP / BMI licensing, but it's almost never enforced. There have been a few weird circumstances of people having to put their cell phone in a Ziploc bag or a locker prior to entering the venue, but it's not really common. It depends upon the state and municipality, but rent-a-cops doing pat-downs to see if patrons have cell phones in their pockets is generally highly illegal.

I always wonder how easy it would be to give them a dummy phone and sneak in your actual phone like Lucius Fox did in The Dark Knight. Or bring in one of those pairs of glasses with a camera lens embedded.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I always wonder how easy it would be to give them a dummy phone and sneak in your actual phone like Lucius Fox did in The Dark Knight. Or bring in one of those pairs of glasses with a camera lens embedded.

They're selling glasses with Alexa built in now.
If you're determined and willing to drop some cash it's near trivial to sneak in an HD camera and audio recorder they probably wouldn't be able to find even with a pat down.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Skwirl posted:

They're selling glasses with Alexa built in now.
If you're determined and willing to drop some cash it's near trivial to sneak in an HD camera and audio recorder they probably wouldn't be able to find even with a pat down.

I realize the reality is likely different, but all I can imagine is a pair of glasses that constantly light up and loudly declare “Hmm, I don’t know that” or “Amazon music is currently streaming on another device. If you sign up for the family plan...” while I frantically scream at it to get it to stop.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sneaking in overpriced silicon valley spyglasses to record louis' bad jokes he's trying out

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1178218128221855744

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

inb4 2 Fast 2 Furious jokes

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

I see what you did there.

It’s becoming more and more common. Chappelle did it for a lot of his recent gigs as did The Misfits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had to turn in my phone at an advance screenings and ing of the first Kick rear end film.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
A few people I’ve seen in the last 5+ years have asked the audience to enjoy the moment. Rappers, bands and Comedy Bang Bang; not a demand; if you wanted to view it through your tiny screen go ahead. Majority of audience did it and it was pleasant to not see a sea of phones in front of us!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It makes sense for a comedian because if you wrote an hour of material and it takes you 6 months to workshop it to get it ready to record and some brojob posts the whole thing on YouTube then you’ve basically lost a year of work for no value.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It makes sense for a comedian because if you wrote an hour of material and it takes you 6 months to workshop it to get it ready to record and some brojob posts the whole thing on YouTube then you’ve basically lost a year of work for no value.

Somehow countless other comedians survive this, as well as comedians who actively have their material available for viewing via youtube/streaming/etc.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Bust Rodd posted:

The only way this ever happens anymore is if the whole thing is staged as PR. YouTube is razor-sharp with copyright claims from anyone like Loius.

Also, your posting iit is valuable exclusively as a case study of someone who identifies with a powerful, predatory abuser and doesn't even think of the victims (let alone think of them as human) and has great trouble discussing the topic without it turning into a weird fantasy projection of the emotional drama of a celebrity they like.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This thread is toxic poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hodgepodge posted:

The only way this ever happens anymore is if the whole thing is staged as PR. YouTube is razor-sharp with copyright claims from anyone like Loius.

Also, your posting iit is valuable exclusively as a case study of someone who identifies with a powerful, predatory abuser and doesn't even think of the victims (let alone think of them as human) and has great trouble discussing the topic without it turning into a weird fantasy projection of the emotional drama of a celebrity they like.

You took a post in which I named or identified zero comedians and projected your nonsense fantasy on to it in an attempt to “own me” on line in a sub-forum dedicated to overanalyzing movies, you’re a creep & dweeb. Stealing people’s content is wrong, I’m not defending anybody. Posts like these are why every other sub forum makes fun of CineD.

ImpAtom posted:

Somehow countless other comedians survive this, as well as comedians who actively have their material available for viewing via youtube/streaming/etc.

Not every comedian’s hour is worth millions of dollars. Dave Chappell stands to lose a lot more money to a pirate than Nate Bergatze

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cracked.com, of all places, has an article about how everybody knew that R. Kelly married Aaliyah when she was 15 but that it was okay because she wore a midriff:
https://www.cracked.com/article_26723_how-media-couldve-killed-r.-kellys-career-decades-ago.html

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Not every comedian’s hour is worth millions of dollars. Dave Chappell stands to lose a lot more money to a pirate than Nate Bergatze

Dave Chapelle literally had a TV show and multiple stand-up specials. If a YouTube of his jokes loses him millions of dollars then why is he making his jokes publicly available.

We are not in the era where 'joke thieves' are a concern anymore.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lmao at 'Kevin Hart Memorial Computer Lab'.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Dave Chapelle literally had a TV show and multiple stand-up specials. If a YouTube of his jokes loses him millions of dollars then why is he making his jokes publicly available.

We are not in the era where 'joke thieves' are a concern anymore.

Are you arguing in favor of people being able to record live performances against the artist’s wishes? I don’t get your point at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Are you arguing in favor of people being able to record live performances against the artist’s wishes? I don’t get your point at all.

I am saying it isn't a meaningful enough risk to require hard lockdown. This behavior isn't about protecting their comedy. It is about avoiding footage of them saying terrible things circulating.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

I am saying it isn't a meaningful enough risk to require hard lockdown. This behavior isn't about protecting their comedy. It is about avoiding footage of them saying terrible things circulating.

I just don't buy that considering if anything hasn't time shown that these incendiary comments are basically great for ratings? Like Sticks & Stones is Chappelle's most watched special by a wide margin?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The no phones thing isn't about joke theft or damage control, it's to prevent bootlegs that could hurt sales.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The no phones thing isn't about joke theft or damage control, it's to prevent bootlegs that could hurt sales.

Louis CK is banning taking notes on paper with a pen, I don't think there's a huge bootleg market for written transcripts of comedy shows.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Skwirl posted:

Louis CK is banning taking notes on paper with a pen, I don't think there's a huge bootleg market for written transcripts of comedy shows.

Yeah that's pretty dumb. I was referring to having to put your phone into a locked pouch which us pretty standard at a lot of bigger clubs now, at least here in NY.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A while back Patton Oswalt found out that some hack stole huge chunks, verbatim, of an album Patton had recorded and tried to pass them off as their own material. The thief in question was caught because Patton found out because someone recorded and uploaded it to Youtube.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2010/04/30/patton-oswalt-outraged-at_n_559148.html?ri18n=true

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I went to a comedy show in the basement of a pizza shack

No one gave a poo poo about phones. Cause we were in a pizza basement

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

DarkSol posted:

Bad people can do good things, but it doesn't negate that they are bad people. Am I impressed with Hart's philanthropic efforts? Sure, but it doesn't erase his homophobia. Especially since it's not a one off incident that he later apologized for and was contrite about.

Hypothetically, is there any amount of good that can stop someone from being a bad person, or is it a line that can't be uncrossed type situation once you've said no homo on twitter? Not saying he specifically has done enough, just would it be possible?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

*opens up raincoat full of post-its* sup dude wanna buy a joke?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah that's pretty dumb. I was referring to having to put your phone into a locked pouch which us pretty standard at a lot of bigger clubs now, at least here in NY.

The company that does the lock bags for venues is owned by Chris Rock and charges a hefty sum. That’s probably the biggest reason for the prevalence, more so than any protection aspect.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Bust Rodd posted:

You took a post in which I named or identified zero comedians and projected your nonsense fantasy on to it in an attempt to “own me” on line in a sub-forum dedicated to overanalyzing movies, you’re a creep & dweeb. Stealing people’s content is wrong, I’m not defending anybody. Posts like these are why every other sub forum makes fun of CineD.

This isn't even a coherent rely, it's just a collection of deflections and narcassistic paranoia.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hodgepodge posted:

This isn't even a coherent rely, it's just a collection of deflections and narcassistic paranoia.

Turn on your monitor

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
All this also seems to be ignoring the more obvious reason that Louis is doing this because he doesn't want people to find out that he's still doing a mix of alt-right and "kids these days" jokes, after he got mocked for a few days last time. That's the reason for no notes.

If he was just worried about bootlegs or joke theft, YouTube copyright is probably more than capable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I remember some comedian (it might have been Chapelle?) saying that the bad thing about people recording standup is that especially early in one's standup career, you're supposed to do a lot of shows, bomb extremely often and see what works and what doesn't, and that now all your mistakes can be recorded and used to trash your credibility even if you don't say anything problematic. I guess that was just a lot of bullshit, huh? That statement really got to me since I have a crippling fear of failure and having a running tally of all my mistakes is terrifying to me.