Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Jack Flaherty finishes the season as #1 in the league in WHIP and H/9 which is absolutely ridiculous.

First 17 starts: 90 IP, 4.90 ERA, 1.288 WHIP, 8.5 H/9, 10.1 K/9, .771 OPS against

Last 16 starts: 106.1 IP, 0.93 ERA, 0.696 WHIP, 4.2 H/9, 11 K/9, .419 OPS against

Something clicked for him and I hope it never ends. (Also the Cardinals were 10-6 in his last 16 starts what a bunch of drat idiots)

In March, somebody in the fantasy thread asked who they should keep between Flaherty and Marquez.

GalacticAcid posted:

I'm high on Flaherty. He could wind up with a Cy Young in the next couple years if things break his way.

Eno Sarris has him ranked 17 and German Marquez ranked 31st in his top 175 pitchers for the 2019 fantasy baseball season.

So Cardinal or no, I've been pleased with his turnaround since it makes me look smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

They'll do a McCullers-Morton thing

Hopefully less that and more a Schilling/Johnson thing given how McCullers performed

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

They'll do a McCullers-Morton thing

If rest wasn't an issue, there's no way you don't start one of them

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

If rest wasn't an issue, there's no way you don't start one of them

McCullers started game 7

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

and Austin Meadows was AL Player of the Month.

Yet, Neal Huntington still has a job.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I don't think you'd see a mention of Kershaw as a game 7 starter anyways
In say, mid 2013 Kershaw was enroute to his 2nd CYA in 3 years (what probably should have been 3rd if not for Dickey doing unprecedented things with a knuckleball) and had no postseason choker narrative since he’d barely had any opportunity. He was pretty well cemented as The Consensus Best Pitcher in Baseball at that point.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

Hopefully less that and more a Schilling/Johnson thing given how McCullers performed

MCCULLERS PITCHED 3 INNINGS OF NO RUN BASEBALL - I will not be taking any corrections to that statement.

Thanks.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

McCullers started game 7

Morton finished it off. Also in Game 7 of the ALCS, Morton started for 5 innings and McCullers pitched 4 innings and ended the series with like 25 straight curveballs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DaltonJ_Johnson/status/1178447148184064001

He's the same age as Scherzer and a year younger than JV. Also I was shocked to learn that Felix is only 33, he looks like he's godamn 40.

Did Lincecum have a big injury or what?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm pretty sure Lincecum's body gave out due to the nature of his mechanics

looking back on it Lincecum was a pretty amazing success story since he had to finetune his mechanics before the advent of high speed cameras in pitching development

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Lincecum had a hugely explosive, max effort delivery and it seems like it just wore him down quicker than most pitchers. He steadily lost velo year over year until he could barely touch 90 and it all collapsed.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lincecum's hip blew out from the torque of his delivery, iirc, and he just never got his velo back after surgery. I was so sad when he finally flubbed out of the Rangers' system.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

i would not have guessed yu darvish holds the all time SO/9 number

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

big trivia FAIL posted:

i would not have guessed yu darvish holds the all time SO/9 number

it's hilarious if you eliminate everything from the past 15 years or so

you'd be left with Nolan Ryan at 9.5, Sandy Koufax at 9.3 and then everyone else below 9

Now there's 20+ people above that number

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
it's really weird and sad to think about how briefly Lincecum was good. Like I think of Felix as a guy who fell off suddenly and he had an effective career at least twice as long as Lincecum. hard to be 170 and throw mid-90s, I suppose

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Espn's Cy Young Predictor

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Osuna? the gently caress?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, kind of counter to the GDT narrative isn't it.

He's got the most fWAR of any reliever in the AL.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Pitcher WAR is dumb as hell.

Lance Lynn has more fWAR than Justin Verlander and Mike Minor has the same bWAR as Justin Verlander. :getout:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fWAR uses FIP which heavily penalizes HRs, which is the difference there

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Pitching WAR isn't useless but I don't love it for comparing individual performances. I like WAR more in the aggregate, like how much WAR a team's starting rotation provided compared to another team's, or how much WAR a team has generated through the draft. Things like that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Both versions must heavily weight Arlington as being absolutely impossible to pitch in or something.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah imo fWAR isn't that great for pitchers because it's just FIP, which isnt always in line with actual results. A 5 ERA pitcher with a 2 FIP will have more fWAR than one with the reverse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Pitching WAR isn't useless but I don't love it for comparing individual performances. I like WAR more in the aggregate, like how much WAR a team's starting rotation provided compared to another team's, or how much WAR a team has generated through the draft. Things like that.

Well I can’t find the drat blown save stat column!!

What are the best stats for evaluating closers

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Has pitching war accounted for juiced balls yet

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Has pitching war accounted for juiced balls yet

Sort of. FIP is calculated with a constant which changes every year that scales to ERA. So since the balls are juiced and offense is up, the FIP constant is the biggest it's been in quite a while. The league FIP is also up. The WAR calculator relies on individual FIP compared to league FIP, so yes it's adjusted for run environment.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Clutch :getin:

though seriously it's basically the same as starters but I guess you could look at like WPA, WPA/LI, and stuff like that since they're more often in high leverage situations?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zoux posted:

For evaluating relief talent I prefer K% and BB% and mostly write off the rest as noise lol. For evaluating a season's performance, I look at K%, BB%, WHIP, and ERA.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

Lincecum's hip blew out from the torque of his delivery, iirc, and he just never got his velo back after surgery. I was so sad when he finally flubbed out of the Rangers' system.

IIRC his dad was some kind of military/naval engineer in Seattle who took a really analytical approach to how Tim had to move in order to generate maximum velo with a smaller frame

not surprising that one thing finally giving out hosed up his entire delivery

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I remember someone came up with stats called shutdowns and meltdowns for relievers, which meant a reliever could have a meltdown and still get the save because they gave up 2 runs and had the bases loaded and got the final out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tim had a good run. Won two cy youngs and three rings and made $100m

Hopefully he's able to live pain free now that he's no longer pitching

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Espn's Cy Young Predictor

This is the old Bill James predictor, which worked will up until like 2006 or so. Since then the Tango Tiger predictor works better.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

I remember someone came up with stats called shutdowns and meltdowns for relievers, which meant a reliever could have a meltdown and still get the save because they gave up 2 runs and had the bases loaded and got the final out.

Just call it the Kimbrel

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Shutdown and Meltdown are just defined as a relief appearance with +-6% WPA.

If you improve your teams win expectancy by 6% or more, that’s a shutdown. If you worsen it by 6% or more, that’s a meltdown.

This is measured when entering and exiting a game. So you can’t come in to a clean inning with say 95% win expectancy, almost blow it, and then escape with a shutdown. Because you still only improved WE by 5%. You can’t induce a shutdown situation for yourself.

https://library.fangraphs.com/pitching/sd-md/

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/CEmma670/status/1178787681532170240

:smith:

I know the last four years spoiled the poo poo out of me but man does it suck to be right back at the outside looking in wrt October baseball.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

This is the old Bill James predictor, which worked will up until like 2006 or so. Since then the Tango Tiger predictor works better.

Woowee Cole and JV (Cole's first)

Honestly who ever wins it has a good case it is razor thin and also good problems to have. When was the last time a team had the top two Cy finishers

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Sam Holbrook is the crew chief for the Braves vs Cardinals series :lol:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Woowee Cole and JV (Cole's first)

Honestly who ever wins it has a good case it is razor thin and also good problems to have. When was the last time a team had the top two Cy finishers

2001 Randy and Schilling is always my go to when these types of questions come up and it didn't disappoint

The Phillies had 3 top 5 finishers in 2011 but Kershaw won

I also had no idea Bartolo had won a cy young

e: Randy and Schilling did it again in 2002 lol

Randy was the actual winner both times which good gently caress Schilling

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 30, 2019

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

FWIW there has been one set of co-Cy winners but pretty sure the voting is drastically different and without explicitly pairing off and agreeing to vote 1/2 the opposite way it's statistically unlikely that they could tie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

2001 Randy and Schilling is always my go to when these types of questions come up and it didn't disappoint

Interesting, and what was the result of the 2001 World Series